Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

There is a Gumbo cookout in Fayetteville in a couple weeks.

Started by Boarcephus, March 02, 2018, 07:49:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

Has anyone ever been to one of these?  I'd love to enter mine and may do it next year but I think I'll go be a spectator for this one to see how it's done.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 02, 2018, 07:49:54 am
Has anyone ever been to one of these?  I'd love to enter mine and may do it next year but I think I'll go be a spectator for this one to see how it's done.
Do you have any info on this?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 02, 2018, 11:08:12 am

I know tickets are $25 but that's it.  Trying to find out the entry fee, how much you have to make, etc.  I'll post it here when I find out
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on March 02, 2018, 11:08:12 am

Got a response.  Entry fee is $100 per 3 man team.  Cooking starts at 0800 3/17/18 and ends at 1145.  All cooking is done on premises so if you show up with a crockpot you made last night and plan to warm up you are kicked out.  There is no electricity so you provide everything to cook with including tables and tent in the event it rains.  Need to make 3-4 gallons.  They provide rice for you to cook.  You can use whatever meat you want to in it and declare what kind of gumbo it is.  Winning prize is $300 for 1st place, $200 for 2nd and $100 for 3rd plus winning teams get a trophy for all members. 

If you want all the rules and info, let me know and I'll post it but this is the Cliff Notes version. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 05, 2018, 05:14:11 pm
Got a response.  Entry fee is $100 per 3 man team.  Cooking starts at 0800 3/17/18 and ends at 1145.  All cooking is done on premises so if you show up with a crockpot you made last night and plan to warm up you are kicked out.  There is no electricity so you provide everything to cook with including tables and tent in the event it rains.  Need to make 3-4 gallons.  They provide rice for you to cook.  You can use whatever meat you want to in it and declare what kind of gumbo it is.  Winning prize is $300 for 1st place, $200 for 2nd and $100 for 3rd plus winning teams get a trophy for all members. 

If you want all the rules and info, let me know and I'll post it but this is the Cliff Notes version. 

So how was it?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boarcephus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 21, 2018, 07:48:26 pm
So how was it?

We went and had a good time.  13 teams entered.  It was $25 to get in the gate and they gave you a bowl and a spoon and you sampled all 13 gumbos. You bought tokens to select the winner for $1 each and beer was $4.  There was a couple good gumbos and 2-3 were scorched and left a bad taste in your mouth.  Wound up throwing most of ours away after the first 4-5 cups full. A team of judges selected the ultimate winner and the team we thought should have been the hands down winners wound up 3rd and swear to God the teams that were 1st and 2nd were by our standards, extremely average.  They had a winner voted on by the  fans and ours didn't win.  I know we were miserably stuffed when we walked out. 

Still undecided if we'll enter a team next year.  There is a lot of work and expense just to prepare the gumbo.  I made a donation to the Humane Society which is a good cause in itself.  I'll got back next year but probably as a visitor.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Boarcephus on March 21, 2018, 08:33:43 pm
We went and had a good time.  13 teams entered.  It was $25 to get in the gate and they gave you a bowl and a spoon and you sampled all 13 gumbos. You bought tokens to select the winner for $1 each and beer was $4.  There was a couple good gumbos and 2-3 were scorched and left a bad taste in your mouth.  Wound up throwing most of ours away after the first 4-5 cups full. A team of judges selected the ultimate winner and the team we thought should have been the hands down winners wound up 3rd and swear to God the teams that were 1st and 2nd were by our standards, extremely average.  They had a winner voted on by the  fans and ours didn't win.  I know we were miserably stuffed when we walked out. 

Still undecided if we'll enter a team next year.  There is a lot of work and expense just to prepare the gumbo.  I made a donation to the Humane Society which is a good cause in itself.  I'll got back next year but probably as a visitor.

Good deal. Sounds like something to put on my calendar. Thanks.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi