Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Will this be the fight of the century?

Started by razorbacker3, April 30, 2015, 10:24:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dillar Dog

Quote from: LAHogfan123 on May 20, 2015, 11:54:37 am
This^^^^!  Fight of the Century?  Never will there be a fight of the Century with the name of Mayweather attached to it, he doesn't fight, regardless of what some may say on Hogville.  This fight will go down as maybe the greatest bore of the Century, but that's it.  Boxing should no longer be a sport, it's been corrupted to death over the years to the point to where no one really cares, this fight was the last straw that broke the camels back.  MMA if they can keep it from being Don Kinged to death will finally take everyone's interest away from boxing.

Lol at that being the last straw.  There were huge fights the past 2 weeks.

Mma has a long long way to go before it's as popular worldwide as boxing.    And I'm an mma fan.  On of the few who seems to be in touch with reality.

LAHogfan123

Quote from: Dillar Dog on May 20, 2015, 02:03:55 pm

Lol at that being the last straw.  There were huge fights the past 2 weeks.

Mma has a long long way to go before it's as popular worldwide as boxing.    And I'm an mma fan.  On of the few who seems to be in touch with reality.

Okay, I'll buy your argument for a dollar, tell me, who were in these two huge fights the past two weeks?

JayBell

Quote from: LAHogfan123 on May 20, 2015, 02:09:37 pmOkay, I'll buy your argument for a dollar, tell me, who were in these two huge fights the past two weeks?

Canelo, the heir apparent, knocking another guy senseless.  The guy is just 24 years old.

Gennady Golovkin just got his 30th knockout overall and his 20th straight.

Any fight between two of Canelo, Cotto and Golovkin will make make millions and millions.

JayBell

It's definitely a humorous statement to say that the most expensive fight of all-time is the "last straw." You don't go from a fight making more than $500 million to the sport just tanking into obscurity.  That's ridiculous.  If anything, it's going to get people to pay more attention to the heavy hitters like Golovkin and Adonis Stephenson.

Canelo's knockout two weeks ago was HBO's most-watched fight since 2006.  There's more fights this year on major networks and cable channels than there has been in a long time.

If anything, boxing is meeting the challenge of MMA and then some.  I like both.  It's ridiculous to claim that "boxing is dead."  Tell that to Mayweather's accountant.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: JayBell on May 20, 2015, 02:22:56 pm
Canelo, the heir apparent, knocking another guy senseless.  The guy is just 24 years old.

Any fight between two of Canelo, Cotto and Golovkin will make make millions and millions.

Yeah.  If you don't know about those two you really shouldn't act like you know anything about boxing.

"I'm feels good, max.  I'm feels good."

"Big drama show, max."

Hogsooey

Quote from: JayBell on May 20, 2015, 02:22:56 pm

And GGG's purse for that fight was around $1.5m!! and a lot of the talk in boxing is about why he can't get a big payday. But, yeah, boxing is dead. (Disclosure: I really like UFC and boxing.)

razorbacker3

We will be able to see more good fights on HBO, SHOWTIME and ESPN. The PPV's will be for only the biggest fights they build up on these channels. Boxing has almost died because of PPV. Fans don't want to put out 75-100 bucks for fights like Mayweather-Paq. again any time soon.

JayBell

Quote from: razorbacker3 on May 21, 2015, 07:14:55 amWe will be able to see more good fights on HBO, SHOWTIME and ESPN. The PPV's will be for only the biggest fights they build up on these channels. Boxing has almost died because of PPV. Fans don't want to put out 75-100 bucks for fights like Mayweather-Paq. again any time soon.

With more and more good boxing and MMA matches ending up on NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, Spike and other non-premium channels, fans are going to start holding off from PPV buys except for the absolute biggest matches.

For a while, HBO was trying to soak up every bit of possible revenue from Mayweather and Pacquiao fights, but I don't expect people to shell out more money to see either of them fight anyone except each other from now on.

LAHogfan123

Quote from: JayBell on May 20, 2015, 02:29:04 pm
It's definitely a humorous statement to say that the most expensive fight of all-time is the "last straw." You don't go from a fight making more than $500 million to the sport just tanking into obscurity.  That's ridiculous.  If anything, it's going to get people to pay more attention to the heavy hitters like Golovkin and Adonis Stephenson.

Canelo's knockout two weeks ago was HBO's most-watched fight since 2006.  There's more fights this year on major networks and cable channels than there has been in a long time.

If anything, boxing is meeting the challenge of MMA and then some.  I like both.  It's ridiculous to claim that "boxing is dead."  Tell that to Mayweather's accountant.

I made that statement myself.  I and every other fight fan had been looking for this fight to happen for years, and then it turned into a sleep fest and a pillow fight, thank god I don't have to pay for fights.  Where's the big boys at these days?  Why can't the United States turn out a descent fighter?  Both Golovkin and Stephenson are descent fighters, but I wouldn't put them into the class of Mayweather the dancing elf or Pacquiao.  Like I said, without the heavyweight division putting out any worthy fighters and the United States having any on the horizon for longer than a decade, boxing has lost a lot of interest whether you want to admit it or not.  MMA has the kind of appeal that boxing lacks, non-stop action.  As long as MMA doesn't get to ridiculous or to high for the average fan to enjoy it, then yes, boxing has indeed starting to go the way of the dinosaur.

Dillar Dog

No it hasn't.

And you're showing your ignorance about boxing again. 

LAHogfan123

Quote from: Dillar Dog on May 22, 2015, 01:18:56 pm
No it hasn't.

And you're showing your ignorance about boxing again.

When someone calls another person ignorant Dillar, they're only looking in the mirror at themselves.  You must look in the mirror a lot.  You're also a young one, the 70's and 80's were the zenith of boxing in America, it has in no way come no where close to those days, if you're just basing it on money, sure, but then again, all the fights used to be on the only 3 channels we had.  So again I say, boxing has went the way of the dinosaur, it became so corrupted it cut off it's own head and is like a fish flopping around trying to breathe on dry land.

husker71

1972 heavyweight division  Frazier, Ali, Foreman, Norton, Bugner, Terrell   not bad

Dillar Dog

Quote from: LAHogfan123 on May 22, 2015, 05:21:28 pm
When someone calls another person ignorant Dillar, they're only looking in the mirror at themselves.  You must look in the mirror a lot.  You're also a young one, the 70's and 80's were the zenith of boxing in America, it has in no way come no where close to those days, if you're just basing it on money, sure, but then again, all the fights used to be on the only 3 channels we had.  So again I say, boxing has went the way of the dinosaur, it became so corrupted it cut off it's own head and is like a fish flopping around trying to breathe on dry land.

American boxing has declined.  Sure.  It's not hurting boxing overall in any way.

And 3 of the top ten heavyweights in the world are American.  More than any other country in the top 10. 

Please stop acting like you know a anything about boxing.  You didn't even know about canelo and golovkin.  I'm sure you don't know anything about what's coming up.  You don't follow it and you got suckered into watching a fight that you didn't know anything about.  I'm sorry for that.  I'm also sorry that you didn't know that Manny hasn't knocked out anyone in 6 years and that Floyd fought a normal fight.  He did land almost twice as many punches as Manny.  I'm sorry about that too.  Boxing just isn't your sport and that's ok.  I don't think any less of you.  It's not for everyone.

1highhog

Quote from: Dillar Dog on May 22, 2015, 06:54:02 pm
American boxing has declined.  Sure.  It's not hurting boxing overall in any way.

And 3 of the top ten heavyweights in the world are American.  More than any other country in the top 10. 

Please stop acting like you know a anything about boxing.  You didn't even know about canelo and golovkin.  I'm sure you don't know anything about what's coming up.  You don't follow it and you got suckered into watching a fight that you didn't know anything about.  I'm sorry for that.  I'm also sorry that you didn't know that Manny hasn't knocked out anyone in 6 years and that Floyd fought a normal fight.  He did land almost twice as many punches as Manny.  I'm sorry about that too.  Boxing just isn't your sport and that's ok.  I don't think any less of you.  It's not for everyone.

Top 10 in heavyweights?  Lmfao!  There is no such thing!  There is one heavyweight and then tomato cans as sparring partners.  And no where did He say he watched the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight, that fight anyone could have told you the outcome because Mayweather doesn't fight and Pacquiao is at least 5 years past his prime to beat Mayweather at his running away from a fight.

You want to talk about boxing, talk about Hagler, Thomas "Hitman" Hearns, Pernell Whitaker, Sugar Ray Leonard I guess, Joe Frazier, Ali, the young Tyson, that's boxing.

1highhog

Quote from: husker71 on May 22, 2015, 05:46:08 pm
1972 heavyweight division  Frazier, Ali, Foreman, Norton, Bugner, Terrell   not bad

Yes, that was boxing, no longer do you see that high profile of boxing, guys have turned more to MMA than boxing.

Dillar Dog

He asked where they were and I told him.  Is that wrong?

And if you guys care so little about boxing these days, why are you posting here when you clearly don't know much about it?

1highhog

Quote from: Dillar Dog on May 23, 2015, 06:40:04 am
He asked where they were and I told him.  Is that wrong?

And if you guys care so little about boxing these days, why are you posting here when you clearly don't know much about it?

I know far more about boxing history than you'll ever know bub, yes in terms of the sport itself.  As far as keeping up with what's left of the sport these days, I have a passing interest, kind of like keeping up with baseball through the season just enough but only watching it during the World Series.  Same with the NBA, who gives a damn, it's so watered down teams 20 and 30 years ago would annilate teams of today, same of today's boxing, not one boxer of today could carry a bag of waste of yesteryear, just facts.