Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Practice Reports

Started by HoopS, September 30, 2017, 11:37:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Fan701 on October 02, 2017, 08:53:00 am
Yep.  We should be a battle-tested team this year.  For me the biggest unknown is C.J. Jones, maybe even more so than the freshmen since, as you write, those who follow recruiting already know a good bit about our freshmen.  Jones is a great athlete, a deadly shooter.  Will the rest of his game have improved enough so that he's on the court a lot?  Will he be the star we are all hoping for, or a flop?  I'm betting on the former, and I can't wait to watch.

Jones has next level potential but was completely lost on Defense which kept him securely on the pine.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

farfromgroovins

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 03, 2017, 02:02:46 am
Jones has next level potential but was completely lost on Defense which kept him securely on the pine.

That didn't keep Dusty from playing. Not trying to be a jerk but trying to understand what I saw out of Dusty vs what Jones will provide. Dusty may not have been "lost" but was definitely a liability on D.

311Hog

Quote from: farfromgroovins on October 03, 2017, 10:21:07 am
That didn't keep Dusty from playing. Not trying to be a jerk but trying to understand what I saw out of Dusty vs what Jones will provide. Dusty may not have been "lost" but was definitely a liability on D.

dusty scored way more than jones.

farfromgroovins

Quote from: 311Hog on October 03, 2017, 10:37:52 am
dusty scored way more than jones.

No doubt, but if Jones is next level potential, then I would expect to see him sooner or later regardless of his deficiencies on D.

gogamer

Huge difference between "slow" on defense . . . and "lost" on defense

Slow can make up for it with anticipation.

Lost is just . . . . lost.  And lost will never be NBA ready.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 03, 2017, 02:02:46 am

Didn't look lost to me when I saw him play. 

Pinto

Hopefully CJ is comfortable now. You can't have the most athletic player on team sitting on the bench

The_Iceman

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on October 03, 2017, 12:48:16 pm
Hopefully CJ is comfortable now. You can't have the most athletic player on team sitting on the bench

The report above states he has tightened up his handles and is much more confident with the ball. Great news!

311Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 04, 2017, 08:20:58 am
Tons of notes from practice: http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2017/oct/03/observations-arkansas-basketball-practice/

great info thanks for the post.  We should be a solid team that i would expect to challenge in the SEC and make the dance.

Pinto

This team will be most exciting team we've had in a while. Hopefully we will be able to say this was the best team we had in a while at the end of the season...

The_Iceman

Love seeing that we are longer and more athletic.

311Hog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 04, 2017, 09:16:09 am
Love seeing that we are longer and more athletic.

and experienced at the guard position.  our 3 point % will likely drop but it won't be like in the past where it was almost awful.

Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424)

a couple of videos from practice

https://www.facebook.com/pigtrailnation/videos/1525052380903835/

https://www.facebook.com/pigtrailnation/videos/1525004110908662/

https://www.facebook.com/pigtrailnation/videos/1525002917575448/

heres a video of Garland at least participating in some of it

https://www.facebook.com/pigtrailnation/videos/1525050747570665/
PanamaHOG
Representing the Razorbacks down in PTY

The_Iceman

Quote from: Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424) on October 04, 2017, 10:22:35 am

I'm not sure losing Garland would lose us any games, but having Garland could definitely help us win a few extra...if that makes any sense. He is a solid 6'5" with great handles and the ability to finish at the rim. Shot improved as well.

HoopS

Who is what numbers? 3, 10, 11

navyhog24

10 is Gafford. 3 is Garland. 11 is the new transfer, Jalen Harris.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HoopS on October 04, 2017, 12:26:38 pm

#3  Khalil Garland
#10 Daniel Gafford
#11 Jalen Harris (has to redshirt)
#20 Darious Hall
#22 Gabe Osabuohien

azhog10

Quote from: HoopS on October 04, 2017, 12:26:38 pm
3-Garland 10-Gafford 11-Harris

Pinto

Quote from: 311Hog on October 04, 2017, 10:17:50 am
and experienced at the guard position.  our 3 point % will likely drop but it won't be like in the past where it was almost awful.

What makes you think our 3pt % will drop?

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pinto on October 04, 2017, 02:22:16 pm
What makes you think our 3pt % will drop?

The threes that were going to Dusty will now be shot by someone else. I too think it will go down, but I think this team will get more looks at the rim from the guards due to increased size.

Pinto

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 04, 2017, 02:34:46 pm
The threes that were going to Dusty will now be shot by someone else. I too think it will go down, but I think this team will get more looks at the rim from the guards due to increased size.

Dusty put up a bunch of bad shots from beyond the arc so that's not necessarily true. I don't think we will put up as many threes this year because Dusty was a volume shooter. If it does go down, it won't be a significant drop...

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on October 04, 2017, 04:14:16 pm
Reading about the "length and Athleticism" along with Anderson's remark about being "ahead in conditioning" probably is what got me the most excited.   This means the defense and transition will be ready from the start and wearing down the opposing teams.  Could be a fun year.   ;D

We're going to have so much proven scoring and leadership that we didn't have until the end of last year from day 1. It's going to allow the newcomer to just fill in and add to it. 

Hogs49ers

Man I am extremely excited after reading that practice report, I cannot wait until that early season tourney and hope that we get our shot at UNC in the second game.

Our basketball and baseball teams this year make having a terrible football team not so bad.
SCREW Vandy!

hogwood

Quote from: Mr. Barnett (rbarnet424) on October 04, 2017, 10:22:35 am

Love seeing Adrio Bailey make those mid-range pop out jumpers! He could take a huge leap this year if he can do that in-game.

SoonerSooie

Love the report! Thanks!!

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on October 04, 2017, 09:02:43 pm
Love seeing Adrio Bailey make those mid-range pop out jumpers! He could take a huge leap this year if he can do that in-game.

Especially along the baseline. He will find himself a lot in that spot.

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 04, 2017, 04:23:53 pm
We're going to have so much proven scoring and leadership that we didn't have until the end of last year from day 1. It's going to allow the newcomer to just fill in and add to it.

What proven scoring do we have this year from Day 1 that we didn't have Day 1 from Dusty and Moses last year?

311Hog

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 05, 2017, 08:06:00 am
What proven scoring do we have this year from Day 1 that we didn't have Day 1 from Dusty and Moses last year?

My feeling is people thought Dusty was an excellent 3 point shooter but a liability on defense and probably wouldn't score many 2's.

They also thought Moses would block shots and dunk a few times but not much else in the way of offensive game.

I think Barford and Macon are complete players hence the proven scoring.

FineAsSwine

Barford and Macon.
Hogs up! Covid down!

The_Iceman

Barford, Macon, Thompson, Beard, Thomas, and Bailey all have valuable experience playing in big NCAA Tournament games. That experience will be vital to this teams performance this year. You've got guys who have been there and want another chance at it.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 04, 2017, 02:34:46 pm

I agree, but I also think our opponents 3% will drop.  Increased length and athleticism should improve our perimeter defense.  Its hard to shoot over long fast guys that can jump.  I'm hoping we shoot overall at a higher percentage driven by fast breaks and dunks.   

FineAsSwine

Macon and Barford averaged 26.2 points last year as juniors. Moses and Dusty averaged around 32 points a game as returning seniors form their junior seasons.  You could see that as a bit of a drop off but you have to take into account that Barford and Macon's production came as 1st year D1 players out of juco and you will see them be more prepared out of the gate this season after the "juco adjustment" that we have come to expect from most juco players.
Hogs up! Covid down!

The_Iceman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 05, 2017, 12:16:49 pm
Macon and Barford averaged 26.2 points last year as juniors. Moses and Dusty averaged around 32 points a game as returning seniors form their junior seasons.  You could see that as a bit of a drop off but you have to take into account that Barford and Macon's production came as 1st year D1 players out of juco and you will see them be more prepared out of the gate this season after the "juco adjustment" that we have come to expect from most juco players.

During the SEC and NCAA Tournament last year, they averaged a combined 30 ppg.

I expect these guys to come out strong early, especially in the tournament in Oregon.

311Hog

it would not surprise me if Macon and Barford are all conference, and Gafford all freshman team.

If we can get enough from everyone else could have a season as good as last year's or better.

The_Iceman

Quote from: 311Hog on October 05, 2017, 12:50:00 pm
it would not surprise me if Macon and Barford are all conference, and Gafford all freshman team.

If we can get enough from everyone else could have a season as good as last year's or better.

I think that is very likely. Gafford is going to impress a lot of people and I wouldn't be surprised either if he makes it. Barford and Macon will probably both make the 2nd team All-SEC.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 05, 2017, 01:06:30 pm
I think that is very likely. Gafford is going to impress a lot of people and I wouldn't be surprised either if he makes it. Barford and Macon will probably both make the 2nd team All-SEC.

If these things happen, we should have a really good year.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

No more word on practices since the 1st day. Would love to get daily impressions. Anybody got something new?
Hogs up! Covid down!

Pinto

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 05, 2017, 12:16:49 pm

Yeah but you're comparing stats of returning seniors from one of the worst Razorback teams in a while to a Razorback team that went to the tournament...

rzrbackramsfan

It took barford especially and macon a little bit all the way until late in the year for them to really dominate.  They turned it over early in the year and didn't quite have that jazz in their game that they did later in the year.  Same thing with our 4's.  We should have them playing at a high level from day 1.   

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Pinto on October 05, 2017, 03:15:33 pm
Yeah but you're comparing stats of returning seniors from one of the worst Razorback teams in a while to a Razorback team that went to the tournament...

I know its not a perfect comparison but, it's all I got. We really had more scorers on the team last year so the numbers are kinda skewed because, after Dusty, Moses and Anthlon, we didn't have much scoring punch.
Hogs up! Covid down!

ShadowHawg

October 05, 2017, 04:16:05 pm #92 Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 04:28:37 pm by ShadowHawg
Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 05, 2017, 03:52:02 pm
I know its not a perfect comparison but, it's all I got. We really had more scorers on the team last year so the numbers are kinda skewed because, after Dusty, Moses and Anthlon, we didn't have much scoring punch.

Beard has averaged 7 ppg over the last 2 seasons.

Barford averaged 17 a game over his last 10 games. Not unreasonable to expect something close to that this season. Macon averaged 15 over that same stretch.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 05, 2017, 04:16:05 pm

It's time for him to step up into double digits this year. What other potential double-digit scorers besides Macon, Harford and Beard do you see on the team this year?
Hogs up! Covid down!

Pinto

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 05, 2017, 04:16:05 pm

I really hope he has a breakout season this year. Not asking for 13ppg or anything just good decision making and an efficient player. I honestly think we will get 35 ppg from both Macon and JB this year and 25 more from the other 3 starters. Hopefully we'll have some fire power off the bench from somewhere...

Pinto

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 05, 2017, 04:23:55 pm
It's time for him to step up into double digits this year. What other potential double-digit scorers besides Macon, Harford and Beard do you see on the team this year?

I really think Gafford will give us 10-12 ppg just from hustle points and alley oops. Would be great if CJ Jones plays up to his potential and give us 8-10. There's a lot of hidden potential that could possibly be tapped this season.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Pinto on October 05, 2017, 04:27:34 pm
I really think Gafford will give us 10-12 ppg just from hustle points and alley oops. Would be great if CJ Jones plays up to his potential and give us 8-10. There's a lot of hidden potential that could possibly be tapped this season.

I look for Dustin Thomas  to improve his point totals this year and be one of those guys who can give us double-digit points almost every night.
Hogs up! Covid down!

RebHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 05, 2017, 07:16:45 am
Especially along the baseline. He will find himself a lot in that spot.

This jumper was available a lot last year and we just didn't have anyone really take a good advantage of it. I hope he or someone else can capitalize this year in this area.

Hawg Red

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 05, 2017, 03:36:41 pm
It took barford especially and macon a little bit all the way until late in the year for them to really dominate.  They turned it over early in the year and didn't quite have that jazz in their game that they did later in the year.  Same thing with our 4's.  We should have them playing at a high level from day 1.   

My man, we had two 16 PPG scorers returning Day 1 last season. If anything, we have LESS proven scoring coming into this season. We had Barford and Macon coming into last season to go with Moses and Dusty. Barford scored in double figures in all but 4 games before SEC play. Macon failed to score double figures in only 3 games before SEC play. So the notion that they didn't turn it on scoring the ball (which what we're talking about here) is completely false. You'd have to reach pretty hard to find two players on this roster that will provide us with the scoring that Macon and Barford did to supplement Dusty and Moses.

Hawg Red

Quote from: 311Hog on October 05, 2017, 08:39:21 am
My feeling is people thought Dusty was an excellent 3 point shooter but a liability on defense and probably wouldn't score many 2's.

They also thought Moses would block shots and dunk a few times but not much else in the way of offensive game.

I think Barford and Macon are complete players hence the proven scoring.

Reach.