Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Practice Reports

Started by HoopS, September 30, 2017, 11:37:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HoopS

September 30, 2017, 11:37:20 pm Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 09:12:14 pm by HoopS
Any updates?

The_Iceman

hdturner

It should start this week. I am ready!!!

Pinto

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Pinto on October 01, 2017, 10:51:44 am
Starts tomorrow

Yeah and in less than a month we will have our red and white game. Season is almost here and I am so very excited! Looking forward to seeing the Hogs make a run in the tournament this year because I think we have guys that can do it.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Pinto

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 01, 2017, 06:24:56 pm
Yeah and in less than a month we will have our red and white game. Season is almost here and I am so very excited! Looking forward to seeing the Hogs make a run in the tournament this year because I think we have guys that can do it.

Yeah we just have a bunch of unknowns that I hope will turn out better than expected for once...

1highhog

I to can hardly wait until BB season gets here, usually at this time of the year I'm to heavily invested in football but I'm having to back away from it a bit this year.

Fan701

Quote from: Pinto on October 01, 2017, 11:45:35 pm
Yeah we just have a bunch of unknowns that I hope will turn out better than expected for once...
Unknowns?  Except for the three seniors we lost, everyone is back, including stars like Macon and Barford, hardly unknowns.  Anyone who watched last year will already know the personnel on this year's team pretty well since, but for a few guys, it's the same.  I guess you could call the freshmen unknowns.  Also, we don't really need to turn out better than expected this year, though that's always nice.  With expectations as high as they are going into this year, just matching expectations will mean we've done very well.

Pinto

Quote from: Fan701 on October 02, 2017, 07:46:34 am
Unknowns?  Except for the three seniors we lost, everyone is back, including stars like Macon and Barford, hardly unknowns.  Anyone who watched last year will already know the personnel on this year's team pretty well since, but for a few guys, it's the same.  I guess you could call the freshmen unknowns.  Also, we don't really need to turn out better than expected this year, though that's always nice.  With expectations as high as they are going into this year, just matching expectations will mean we've done very well.

We have two quality seniors, everyone else are unknowns. And yes, I love our freshmen but they are unknowns until proven. I'm just being realistic

Fan701

Quote from: Pinto on October 02, 2017, 08:19:53 am
We have two quality seniors, everyone else are unknowns. And yes, I love our freshmen but they are unknowns until proven. I’m just being realistic
Maybe unknown to you, but guys like Anton Beard or Trey Thompson are pretty well known to the rest of us.  The most likely starting lineup will be guys who played heavy minutes last year, guys anyone who watched last year will know well.  I'd say being realistic would be to expect us to be at least as good as last year, maybe better.  We have a senior-laden team.  It really stretches the definition of "unknown" to call them that.  Next year, 2018-2019, we'll have a lot of new faces out there, and a much younger team.  "Unknown" might fit next year.

VirginiaHog

For anyone who watches hog ball regularly, the freshman are the only ones I would call unknowns. For those who heavily follow recruiting, maybe you can say the freshmen are not unknowns either. Gonna be a great season.

Fan701

Quote from: VirginiaHog on October 02, 2017, 08:44:06 am
For anyone who watches hog ball regularly, the freshman are the only ones I would call unknowns. For those who heavily follow recruiting, maybe you can say the freshmen are not unknowns either. Gonna be a great season.
Yep.  We should be a battle-tested team this year.  For me the biggest unknown is C.J. Jones, maybe even more so than the freshmen since, as you write, those who follow recruiting already know a good bit about our freshmen.  Jones is a great athlete, a deadly shooter.  Will the rest of his game have improved enough so that he's on the court a lot?  Will he be the star we are all hoping for, or a flop?  I'm betting on the former, and I can't wait to watch.

Pinto

Quote from: Fan701 on October 02, 2017, 08:53:00 am
Yep.  We should be a battle-tested team this year.  For me the biggest unknown is C.J. Jones, maybe even more so than the freshmen since, as you write, those who follow recruiting already know a good bit about our freshmen.  Jones is a great athlete, a deadly shooter.  Will the rest of his game have improved enough so that he's on the court a lot?  Will he be the star we are all hoping for, or a flop?  I'm betting on the former, and I can't wait to watch.

I follow recruiting very closely but that doesn't change the fact that they are an unknown on the next level. Jimmy Whitt was a highly regarded recruit yet he didn't produce. Arlando Cook was a top 5 JUCO player and he didn't produce. There are so many X-factors this season: Will CJ play to his potential or will DaeDae come in and take that 3 spot? Is Adrio ready to get more minutes? Did DT improve over the offseason? Is Trey ready? So many unknowns

Hawg Red

Some here are taking "unknown" quite literally. Everyone knows who the players are and what their games are, or are supposed to be. There are very few near-locks on this team. This is a different looking roster, so there is actually quite a bit of unknown in my view as to what roles guys are going to play and which players are going to win practice battles for minutes. Can Trey and Beard step into larger roles and produce? Can Thomas be consistent? Will Cook even be on the team? Is Bailey developed enough for more minutes? And, everyone's darling, C.J. Jones, will he be ready to show what he's got?

Plenty of unknowns or uncertainty around this roster.

Fan701

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 02, 2017, 09:24:10 am
Some here are taking “unknown” quite literally. Everyone knows who the players are and what their games are, or are supposed to be. There are very few near-locks on this team. This is a different looking roster, so there is actually quite a bit of unknown in my view as to what roles guys are going to play and which players are going to win practice battles for minutes. Can Trey and Beard step into larger roles and produce? Can Thomas be consistent? Will Cook even be on the team? Is Bailey developed enough for more minutes? And, everyone’s darling, C.J. Jones, will he be ready to show what he’s got?

Ok.  If you expand the definition of "unknown" to encompass every uncertainty, then every team, before the season begins, is full of unknowns.  I can't honestly say I know how things will have panned out for us by next March, nor can anyone.  Nonetheless, relative to a lot of years, and relative to a lot of other college teams, our team has fewer unknowns, in my opinion.  No one would be foolish enough to say we have no unknowns.  However, on the whole we have a lot of experienced players coming back, lots of seniors, two star guards who were carrying the team by the end of last year.  There are lots of sound reasons to expect a lot from this team.  I expect a lot of continuity with last year, which, to me, at least, means I think I know what to expect, not that I won't get any surprises at all on the way to next March.

Pinto

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 02, 2017, 09:24:10 am
Some here are taking "unknown" quite literally. Everyone knows who the players are and what their games are, or are supposed to be. There are very few near-locks on this team. This is a different looking roster, so there is actually quite a bit of unknown in my view as to what roles guys are going to play and which players are going to win practice battles for minutes. Can Trey and Beard step into larger roles and produce? Can Thomas be consistent? Will Cook even be on the team? Is Bailey developed enough for more minutes? And, everyone's darling, C.J. Jones, will he be ready to show what he's got?

Exactly what I'm saying. Those same unknowns are what makes me so anxious for the season to start though. You can also throw in the question: Is Khalil going to redshirt this season or could he give us quality minutes off bench?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Pinto on October 02, 2017, 09:40:09 am
Exactly what I'm saying. Those same unknowns are what makes me so anxious for the season to start though. You can also throw in the question: Is Khalil going to redshirt this season or could he give us quality minutes off bench?

Why on earth would Khalil redshirt?
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Quote from: Fan701 on October 02, 2017, 09:35:40 am
Ok.  If you expand the definition of "unknown" to encompass every uncertainty, then every team, before the season begins, is full of unknowns.  I can't honestly say I know how things will have panned out for us by next March, nor can anyone.  Nonetheless, relative to a lot of years, and relative to a lot of other college teams, our team has fewer unknowns, in my opinion.  No one would be foolish enough to say we have no unknowns.  However, on the whole we have a lot of experienced players coming back, lots of seniors, two star guards who were carrying the team by the end of last year.  There are lots of sound reasons to expect a lot from this team.  I expect a lot of continuity with last year, which, to me, at least, means I think I know what to expect, not that I won't get any surprises at all on the way to next March.

He had 4 main players last season (Moses, Dusty, Macon, Barford). We have 2 this season that are clear. After that? Unknown to what degree players are going to produce/contribute. Unknown who is going to start outside of Barford and Macon. Unknown how much more of a role guys like Thomas, Cook, Bailey, Thompson, Jones can handle compared to last season. I think we can safely assume Beard can handle a bigger role. Unknown how well we'll shoot the ball. Unknown how well players will little-to-no experience are going to defend or acclimate to D1 officiating/competition. We do have a lot of players returning but I'm not sure that necessarily translates to safe expectations given the limited roles half of those seniors played last season. Bump that uncertainty up against a really stout schedule and we might be in for a rocky road early on. Or they could come out gang busters. We'll see.

Hawg Red

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 02, 2017, 10:10:40 am
Why on earth would Khalil redshirt?

Heart condition comes to mind. I know he's been cleared medically and is practicing, though. I don't know why else he would redshirt.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 02, 2017, 10:13:50 am
He had 4 main players last season (Moses, Dusty, Macon, Barford). We have 2 this season that are clear. After that? Unknown to what degree players are going to produce/contribute. Unknown who is going to start outside of Barford and Macon. Unknown how much more of a role guys like Thomas, Cook, Bailey, Thompson, Jones can handle compared to last season. I think we can safely assume Beard can handle a bigger role. Unknown how well we'll shoot the ball. Unknown how well players will little-to-no experience are going to defend or acclimate to D1 officiating/competition. We do have a lot of players returning but I'm not sure that necessarily translates to safe expectations given the limited roles half of those seniors played last season. Bump that uncertainty up against a really stout schedule and we might be in for a rocky road early on. Or they could come out gang busters. We'll see.
hopefully you know DT started 20 games last year and Beard started like 10, plus Trey played a lot last year.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Fan701

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 02, 2017, 10:13:50 am
Yes, a lot of unknowns, but I still say fewer than usual.  I expect Macon and Barford to own this team, maybe three or four others to emerge as reliable contributors, based on what we already know about them (Beard, Thomas, Gafford, and Thompson perhaps?).  I think we're getting to the point of arguing over semantics.  I don't at all deny that there are many uncertainties, but there always are before a season starts.  I'm just saying fewer uncertainties than we've had the last few years, fewer uncertainties than most teams.

Pinto

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on October 02, 2017, 10:27:38 am
hopefully you know DT started 20 games last year and Beard started like 10, plus Trey played a lot last year.

You're talking like they averaged 10 points a game last year. Just because they are returning doesn't make them proven...

Pinto

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 02, 2017, 10:14:22 am
Heart condition comes to mind. I know he's been cleared medically and is practicing, though. I don't know why else he would redshirt.

Yes he was "cleared" but we are talking about a heart issue. Hopefully CMA will announce some good news about him when speaking with the media about practice...

Fan701

Quote from: Pinto on October 02, 2017, 11:11:49 am
Yes he was "cleared" but we are talking about a heart issue. Hopefully CMA will announce some good news about him when speaking with the media about practice...
I might be wrong, but I think MA announced that he was fine months ago.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Fan701 on October 02, 2017, 11:17:50 am

You are correct

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Pinto on October 02, 2017, 11:11:49 am

I seriously doubt he would be playing basketball right now and running up and down Cleveland Hill if there was something wrong with his heart. He wouldn't red shirt he would be like rawleigh Williams and would have retired from basketball.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Pinto

Quote from: Fan701 on October 02, 2017, 11:17:50 am

You are correct but he still didn't practice 100% after the announcement...

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Pinto on October 02, 2017, 11:19:38 am
You are correct but he still didn't practice 100% after the announcement...

So he was at 99.9% capacity then? I think coach saying he was fine means he was fine.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Pinto

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 02, 2017, 11:21:47 am
So he was at 99.9% capacity then? I think coach saying he was fine means he was fine.

Ok smartass

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

razorback1829

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 02, 2017, 11:21:47 am

As of now, Khalil is not cleared to play. Straight from a source inside the team. Still hasn't been cleared all the way and might not be.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: razorback1829 on October 02, 2017, 01:39:32 pm
As of now, Khalil is not cleared to play. Straight from a source inside the team. Still hasn't been cleared all the way and might not be.

Name the source because he can't practice if so. This is a heart condition not an orthopedic problem. Has there been a relapse?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: razorback1829 on October 02, 2017, 01:39:32 pm

If this is true it might explain why there have been some talk the coaches signing 7 players in the 2018 class. I hope that this would not be the case but would be our luck.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 02, 2017, 02:39:23 pm
https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/914936999194357760

Now we're down to only 10 scholarship players who are available. Not a lot of margin for error and especially no room for injuries or suspensions.
Hogs up! Covid down!

FineAsSwine

This is really big news. Why are we only now hearing about it?
Hogs up! Covid down!

masondh

Has he been involved in the conditioning workouts?

FineAsSwine

The freshmen are going to have to really step up. Gabe may even have a big role this year.  If we do end up having to sign another guard to take Khalil's place then I hope we are still good with Ramey.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawg Red

Please let this kid be able to play. Not even for us, for him. This kid has worked relentlessly for years in preparation for this. This is his dream in life. It would kill me for that to be taken away from my son.

navyhog24

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 02, 2017, 02:55:57 pm
The freshmen are going to have to really step up. Gabe may even have a big role this year.  If we do end up having to sign another guard to take Khalil's place then I hope we are still good with Ramey.

I doubt it. I think for Khalil's spot, the staff will see how it goes this season for him. If they have to get someone else, then we will likely see new names coming up in the spring.

Pinto

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 02, 2017, 02:53:28 pm
This is really big news. Why are we only now hearing about it?

I tried to tell you...

FineAsSwine

Hogs up! Covid down!

Pinto

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 02, 2017, 04:06:46 pm
So, you just found out today too?

No, I've been saying he hasn't practiced 100% since this summer. Can't remember what other thread I put it in. Kevin has known for a while too but out of respect for his family he didn't release the detailed information.

FineAsSwine

Cook suspended, Garland out indefinitely. maybe it's time for me to recalculate my expectations for the season. I was really counting on Garland getting some quality minutes  so CJ Jones is really going to have to step it up this year big time
Hogs up! Covid down!

Pinto

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 02, 2017, 04:09:58 pm
Cook suspended, Garland out indefinitely. maybe it's time for me to recalculate my expectations for the season. I was really counting on Garland getting some quality minutes  so CJ Jones is really going to have to step it up this year big time

I think CJ will be ready to make an impact this season. Hopefully Daedae and Gabe are ready. Again, there are a lot of unknowns this season...

HawgsPolo

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 02, 2017, 04:09:58 pm

Garland being out indefinitely is false information sir.
Go Cubs Go!!!!!

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HawgsPolo on October 02, 2017, 05:19:21 pm
Garland being out indefinitely is false information sir.

So you think you know when he will be fully cleared to play? If so, give me a date please so I will know when he will definitely be back.
Hogs up! Covid down!

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

So, has practice started or not?
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!