Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bobby Portis

Started by pignparadise, October 06, 2015, 10:53:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pignparadise

"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Foshodo

Love it! still has 8 points on an off shooting night. gotta enjoy the 2 steals as well from a big.

gmarv

can wish enough good things for bobby,heres to a great nba career.

hogfan14

Bulls fans seem to love him so far

"Portis threw guys around in the paint. Just threw them around. Milwaukee is lean and long, doesn't have bangers but then bobby also out jumped their length and athletic guys to get (attempt) put backs and grab boards. 14 boards in 23 minutes is Rodmanesque. Great hands...I mean fantastic hands...the ball sticks. Soft Touch. Future starter without a doubt. calling it now Niko aside, best big on the team next year."

Adam Stokes

Looks like Portis will end up being rated the tenth best rookie on ESPN's NBA rank if I counted correctly.  He comes in at #227.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogfan14 on October 07, 2015, 10:53:23 am
Bulls fans seem to love him so far

"Portis threw guys around in the paint. Just threw them around. Milwaukee is lean and long, doesn't have bangers but then bobby also out jumped their length and athletic guys to get (attempt) put backs and grab boards. 14 boards in 23 minutes is Rodmanesque. Great hands...I mean fantastic hands...the ball sticks. Soft Touch. Future starter without a doubt. calling it now Niko aside, best big on the team next year."

Kool-aid is a little strong there, but point taken. Portis will succeed in the NBA. 15+ year career provided he stays healthy.

Danny J

His work ethic will carry him until he learns to play at that level. As long as he stays relatively healthy he will play for a long time.

Hawg Red

10 points, 16 rebounds tonight for Bobby. Another rough shooting night, though.

jackflash

I think the bulls were lucky to get him. Should have gone earlier in the draft I think

PonderinHog

16 rebounds is impressive.  I think the points will come once he settles down.

hoglady

Portis is now leading the NBA in rebounds per game in the preseason. (15 avg)
Even if it takes a while for his shot to come - as long as keeps rebounding he'll see the floor.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Huds_HawgTide

"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hoglady on October 09, 2015, 08:49:39 am
Portis is now leading the NBA in rebounds per game in the preseason. (15 avg)
Even if it takes a while for his shot to come - as long as keeps rebounding he'll see the floor.
Rebounding is about 95% desire, one of the reasons I always respected Rodman as a player, even though I didn't like him.

hoglady

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 09, 2015, 11:32:07 am
Rebounding is about 95% desire, one of the reasons I always respected Rodman as a player, even though I didn't like him.

If anyone ever questions whether rebounding is all about desire and position all they need to do is watch some old film of Rodman playing. I always liked him once he joined the Bulls - I loved the Bulls of Jordan, Pippen and Rodman.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

whosiskid

I was living in Chicago for all of Jordan's REAL career, and watched every game I could for the three years Rodman was on the team. I was shocked at how smart he was as a player. He was nearly as smart as Jordan on the court and as quick to make smart decisions. I loved how the Bulls would play against Shaq and the Bulls would put Rodman on him for a quarter. Inevitably Shaq would become a nonfactor . Rodman wouldn't let him score, pass, or rebound. It was astonishing to watch. Shaq would have 6 inches and 130 pounds on him, but Rodman just toyed with him.

Chicago is called "the City that Works," and it embraces the label. It is a Chicago sports tradition to embrace those who work hard. They love Arrieta because he goes out and pitches 130 pitch count games. In the same way, if Bobby keeps working this hard and producing results, he'll be a huge hit. Also, you have to remember that the fan base has been split on Taj Gibson. I'm not sure why. He worked hard on defense and was a solid rebounder. But getting Portis gives them an upgrade over Gibson with potential for him to be much more. Bobby and Mirotic gives the Bulls an incredible front court core for the future. They are really kind of similar players though Mirotic is a much better outside shooter. But with the utterly unexpected emergence of Jimmy Butler as a first rate guard, they have a great group of young players they can build on even if Rose never plays the way he did before the knee injuries.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

RzRbAcK18

He may never make the starting lineup but looks to me as if he is going to have a great NBA career. WPS