Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sears in the NWA Mall closing

Started by hog.goblin, November 03, 2017, 07:36:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hog.goblin

The mall is struggling big time, due to influences by Amazon, online sales in general, a better mall in Benton County, and the death grip by Dillard's keeping better flagship stores out.  But the excerpt also surprised me on how poorly Sears has adapted to an online presence as well as their sale of the Craftsman and Kenmore Brands.  It seems likely to me that in 10 years Sears Roebuck & Co will be a footnote in the annals of history.

"Declining mall traffic has been a problem for retailers for the past several years as more sales continue to gravitate online. Sears has not been on the forefront of expanding its online presence and over the past year has sold off some of its core brands such as Craftsman Tools and Diehard batteries. Last month the retailer said it was severing ties with Whirlpool after 100 years of doing business together. Whirlpool also makes Kenmore appliances for Sears exclusively, which the retailer said it plans to sell on Amazon."

Credit the last paragraph from the NWA Business Journal.

grayhawg

Closing the one at Central Mall in Ft Smith as well, there they've had very little customer activity for years.

ricepig

Closed in Jonesboro earlier in the year, they are toast, as if people didn't know that already. Investor Bruce Berkowitz pulled out a couple of weeks ago, I don't think they'll find a white knight this time.

hawgrunner

Can't remember last time I was in Sears or bought a Craftsman tool. If I need a new screwdriver or socket I just go to Lowes and get "Kobalt" brand... just as good and hold same lifetime warranty.

majestic

Hell, I thought they had already closed. Lampert has been sucking them dry for years. I'd be surprised if Sears/K-Mart is around after next year.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Boardon Hamsay

Sears has the adaption and evolution mantra of Kodak. They are the film of big box retailers.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on November 04, 2017, 09:24:15 am
Sears has the adaption and evolution mantra of Kodak. They are the film of big box retailers.

I agree, and selling off Craftsman and loosing Kenmore privileges is the death nail, full surrender.

je100

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: je100 on November 10, 2017, 08:53:08 am
Good article on the retail apocalypse.  Short 'em all?

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2017-retail-debt/
Nope. IMO would be a HUGE mistake to just arbitrarily go out and sell short every retailer. Guys and gals, no one's going to argue that Amazon has not only revolutionized the retailing space but will continue to do so. Having said that, however, there are going to be retailers who have and will continue to evolve to be able to both adapt and effectively compete with the internet side of sales. While Wal-Mart has been impacted, as has everyone, they appear to have done a pretty credible job of moving a fair amount of their sales to the online space; another that fits into that category is Target. Besides, this entire retail space is so large that there is plenty of room for multiple competitors to successfully grow.

There are also dollar stores such as Dollar Tree and Dollar General whose typical customer(s) either don't use the computer as much or don't care to. I suspect that folks like Home Depot will continue to profit because many of the items they carry are the type that customers want to either "touch and feel"or prefer not to have shipped.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 10, 2017, 10:24:56 am
Nope. IMO would be a HUGE mistake to just arbitrarily go out and sell short every retailer. Guys and gals, no one's going to argue that Amazon has not only revolutionized the retailing space but will continue to do so. Having said that, however, there are going to be retailers who have and will continue to evolve to be able to both adapt and effectively compete with the internet side of sales. While Wal-Mart has been impacted, as has everyone, they appear to have done a pretty credible job of moving a fair amount of their sales to the online space; another that fits into that category is Target. Besides, this entire retail space is so large that there is plenty of room for multiple competitors to successfully grow.

There are also dollar stores such as Dollar Tree and Dollar General whose typical customer(s) either don't use the computer as much or don't care to. I suspect that folks like Home Depot will continue to profit because many of the items they carry are the type that customers want to either "touch and feel"or prefer not to have shipped.

Agreed.  I continue to support Best Buy way more than I should, including this purchase of 4 ipads I'm currently in line to buy to provide upgrades at Xmas for the fam.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

je100

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 10, 2017, 10:24:56 am

Would you believe they make an ETF that tracks this very thing? 

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/XRT/

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: je100 on November 10, 2017, 03:14:27 pm
Would you believe they make an ETF that tracks this very thing? 

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/XRT/
Very familiar with this particular ETF. And while it does have a position in AMZN and WMT, it also has some other retailers I don't have nearly as much faith. Therefore, I tend to be far more selective and specific in this particular sector. Not all of those companies are necessarily going to prosper going forward.

DeltaBoy

Ours is doing well but over all they moved too slowly into the digital age. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.