Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Things Butch Davis: One That Got Away

Started by HornetHog, March 25, 2005, 09:31:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: SquidBilly on December 12, 2022, 09:59:42 amI know he's 71 now but he knows a thing or two about calling defense.  And he and Pitt have a relationship.  Obviously has strong ties to the university as well.  Would he do it and would the fans accept that, or is it young guy or bust at this point?
Nope.

DeuceHawg

I think Chavis showed us that getting someone at the end of their career isn't the direction we need to go.  I would rather take a chance on someone young that can relate to the kids, has energy, has a need to prove himself, and hopefully would be cheaper too.

Dr. Leonard Ford

Quote from: SquidBilly on December 12, 2022, 09:59:42 amI know he's 71 now but he knows a thing or two about calling defense.  And he and Pitt have a relationship.  Obviously has strong ties to the university as well.  Would he do it and would the fans accept that, or is it young guy or bust at this point?

trolling trolling trolling

Tuskeroni Soprano

I donate $0.00/year to Arkansas NIL.

Quote from: RME on October 09, 2022, 12:34:20 amHahhaha. Exposed. [CENSORED] loser you are, man. Changing up a couple words in the articles you find ain't gonna hide it. There's always a bigger fish. And in this case, that [CENSORED] bigger fish is me. Get used to it.
Ok.

rustr

I wanted us to get him as head coach when instead we got Bielema. That time has passed though. We need someone younger. I wouldn't be mad if that happened but I think in reality that ain't gonna happen from either side. I'm sure he's probably enjoying retirement at this point.

Oliver

Butch Davis will be mentioned as a possible Arkansas coach well after the day he is 6 feet under. 

hawganatic

Can't have a DC search without bringing up Butch Davis...

This gets hashed and rehashed every time we have an opening whether it is DC or head coach.  If it hasn't happened by now, probably not going to.

King Kong

How about he comes DL coach and just recruits.

Sign me up for that

King Kong

Quote from: Oliver on December 12, 2022, 10:06:41 amButch Davis will be mentioned as a possible Arkansas coach well after the day he is 6 feet under. 

We should have fired Nutt in 2004 and hired Butch then

Pigasaurus

Quote from: Oliver on December 12, 2022, 10:06:41 amButch Davis will be mentioned as a possible Arkansas coach well after the day he is 6 feet under. 

It will go like this. I know Butch Davis has been dead for 6 years but if we exhume him do you see him as a viable candidate?
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: hawganatic on December 12, 2022, 10:07:14 amCan't have any kind of DC search without bringing up Butch Davis...

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Hey Super

No way. Would be John Chavis 2.0, long past his prime.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

jst01

I hope the DC is someone from northern New Hampshire, sounds like a Canadian and has zero ties to Arkansas. That would be great hogville reading

XX

Quote from: Dr. Leonard Ford on December 12, 2022, 10:03:49 amtrolling trolling trolling
Not really trollin'...just droppin a line or three
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

Tuskeroni Soprano

Let's go ahead and see if Jimmy Johnson or  Barry Switzer want to finally give it a go as head hog. "Bring them home".

Quote from: RME on October 09, 2022, 12:34:20 amHahhaha. Exposed. [CENSORED] loser you are, man. Changing up a couple words in the articles you find ain't gonna hide it. There's always a bigger fish. And in this case, that [CENSORED] bigger fish is me. Get used to it.
Ok.

NoogaHog

Hey, Barry Switzer's still kicking. Let's give him a call.

Edit: Wow! TS beat me to the joke.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Paul

but....he's a native son!

NoogaHog

Quote from: Paul on December 12, 2022, 11:05:54 ambut....he's a native son!

Somebody's gonna steal the corpse of Bear Bryant and "bring him home"
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

Kevin

Why, do we have to go through this
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

swinefasting

Tuskeroni Soprano

Quote from: NoogaHog on December 12, 2022, 11:04:54 amHey, Barry Switzer's still kicking. Let's give him a call.

Edit: Wow! TS beat me to the joke.

Lol

Ok.

OkieBack

I'd bring Jimmy or Barry back as the "defensive coach" just for the bowl game.  That would be fun seeing one of them on the sidelines.

Of course either coach might be yelling a bunch of explicatives or grabbing a face mask and rip a player down one side or the other to get a point across.  There could be crying involved.  Lol

SquidBilly

Quote from: OkieBack on December 12, 2022, 11:51:02 amI'd bring Jimmy or Barry back as the "defensive coach" just for the bowl game.  That would be fun seeing one of them on the sidelines.

Of course either coach might be yelling a bunch of explicatives or grabbing a face mask and rip a player down one side or the other to get a point across.  There could be crying involved.  Lol

Poor Simeon Blair would never be the same after that experience.

go hogues

lol
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

SquidBilly

Quote from: Hey Super on December 12, 2022, 10:53:50 amNo way. Would be John Chavis 2.0, long past his prime.

He had FIU in bowl games just a few years ago.  Chavis was just cashing a paycheck.  I'd like to think this job would mean a little more than that to Butch. 

tophawg19

Quote from: Tuskeroni Soprano on December 12, 2022, 11:03:10 amLet's go ahead and see if Jimmy Johnson or  Barry Switzer want to finally give it a go as head hog. "Bring them home".
Why not hire all 3 .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

(notOM)Rebel123

Is Monte Kiffin available?

Wonder what Harold Horton's up to?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hog Junkie

Quote from: Pigasaurus on December 12, 2022, 10:26:35 amIt will go like this. I know Butch Davis has been dead for 6 years but if we exhume him do you see him as a viable candidate?

Weekend at Butch's?

my3boneheads

Quote from: hawganatic on December 12, 2022, 10:07:14 amCan't have a DC search without bringing up Butch Davis...

This gets hashed and rehashed every time we have an opening whether it is DC or head coach.  If it hasn't happened by now, probably not going to.

Thank you.

The_Iceman

Butch should have been hired in 2012 right after Petrino was fired. We are way past Butch Davis now. He needs to enjoy retirement.

razorbacker3

How about we do something different? Let Sam hire his choice! Stop with all the "Sam needs to hire xyz or we won't win a game!"

Slobberslob

Can we afford to get him from Arkansas St? How high will that bidding war go?

woodhog14

No...just no. Why do our fans always bring him up when we have an opening?

nuttless hog

That crossed my mind yesterday, he could be good bridge for a year, probably low ent

Athog

Why would Butch Davis want to be a Defensive Coordinator???

AwholeHog

Wouldn't be opposed to him taking a defensive analyst position but the window has closed on DC imo.

d3maybe

I'm guessing with Sam's connections Hunter has said go get the best DC you can find and we'll pay him... I think we'll be surprised at the final hire.

Piggy Banks

Been there...done that.  No thanks

#JohnChavis

East_tex_hog

Hiring him as an analyst would be where I would go with that one. Kinda like Lane keeps daddy around for the same thing.

runninrazorback

So this Butch Davis darn can stay up but my Houston Nutt post about nothing can't?  Smacks of favoritism...

lol

PonderinHog

Quote from: runninrazorback on December 12, 2022, 10:34:18 pmSo this Butch Davis darn can stay up but my Houston Nutt post about nothing can't?  Smacks of favoritism...

lol
Some people just can't tell a joke.   ;D

Großer Kriegschwein

We should have hired Butch a long time ago.

But I'm afraid that ship has circumnavigated a few times since then.
This is my non-signature signature.

Jek Tono Porkins

Let's just go full ancient and hire Butch and Monte Kiffin as co-DC's.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

MFG

hopefully Sam isnt as desperate

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on December 13, 2022, 06:56:25 amLet's just go full ancient and hire Butch and Monte Kiffin as co-DC's.
Any room for Joe Lee Dunn on this retro staff?

The_Iceman

Quote from: AwholeHog on December 12, 2022, 05:23:41 pmWouldn't be opposed to him taking a defensive analyst position but the window has closed on DC imo.

Agreed.

woodrow hog call

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on December 13, 2022, 06:56:25 amLet's just go full ancient and hire Butch and Monte Kiffin as co-DC's.

That would be pretty stinking awesome. I'm picturing the Robert Duvall movie with the two old guys on the porch holding shotguns!

I got to sit in on some teaching sessions that Monte was giving back in the late 70s, tried to take notes and remember everything but he was going too fast and throwing out so much information . Then years later to see coverages in the NFL named after him, made me appreciate the sessions even more.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

jbcarol

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2024, 08:42:01 amHire Butch Davis as the football coach and Johnny will fund that too!
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net