Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What has been the tenure of SEC Football coaches during the expansion era?

Started by jbcarol, July 07, 2012, 12:14:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/DCTheState/status/797887351372427264

QuoteIt wasn't the triumphant return of Will Muschamp that any Gamecocks fan wanted. Instead, it was a 20-7 win by No. 22 Florida

Gators, who were playing with backup quarterback Austin Appleby because of an injury to starter Luke Del Rio, had 257 yards at halftime and 372 for the game.

"Defensively, extremely disappointed, continue to struggle with some things in the run game," Muschamp said. "We had guys at the point of attack, but had some missed tackles, some missed leverages."

After Muschamp and Florida coach Jim McElwain shook hands following the game, Muschamp spent 15 minutes greeting his former players, who stood in a long line to give him a hug.

"That's what it's all about, the relationships you build with people," Muschamp said. "As you move forward, there will be less players involved which is probably the better part for me."

"You can tell how hard (Muschamp) has gotten that team to play," McElwain said. "My hat is off to those guys in what they're doing, they're doing a fantastic job and doing it with a young quarterback as well. They have a bright road ahead of them."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/799411157920522240

QuoteIn the outstandingly likely case that Alabama blows past either Florida or Tennessee in the SEC championship game (it's already clinched the West), Alabama will become the first SEC team since 1996 to win back-to-back-to-back SEC championships.

Alabama is the only SEC team in the top 14 of the College Football Playoff rankings. Suddenly, its best win is against No. 13 Southern California – a Pac-12 opponent. Every other Power Five conference has more teams in the top 14.

After jumping up to No. 9 in the country, Auburn dropped an awful loss to Georgia. Texas A&M ruined a No. 4  ranking with losses to Mississippi State and Ole Miss, the two worst teams in the SEC West. Some will try to argue this is proof of the depth of the conference –

With Gary Pinkel and Mark Richt leaving their jobs last season, every SEC team has changed its head coach since Saban arrived. There have been 19 total coaching moves since the Alabama coach was hired in 2008. The inconsistency in the conference has made almost every program unpredictable.

Four different programs have hired Saban assistants in that span: Florida (Will Muschamp and Jim McElwain), South Carolina (Muschamp), Tennessee (Derek Dooley) and Georgia (Kirby Smart). LSU could make five if it can land Jimbo Fisher.

It hasn't mattered yet. Florida is the only one of those programs to win a division title with an ex-Saban staffer.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 16h16 hours ago

Vince Dooley reveals 2 schools he almost left Georgia for, and the game a cross burned at halftime http://trib.al/Hnvre0H

Quote"After my second year, I had an opportunity to go to Oklahoma. "Bud Wilkinson had called me and recommended me, and thought I should come out. I wasn't even going, because I had just gotten started at Georgia. In any event, I went out and there was a great outcry to keep me at Georgia."

Dooley visited the Sooners, but Georgia responded with a raise from his $12,000 base salary.

He said, after that, he didn't "want (his) name out there every time a job came open." Dooley added he had conversations - Notre Dame called at one time.

"So, the only one I ever considered, of course, was Auburn, my alma mater," Dooley said. "The governor was Fob James, and there was a lot of emotional pull for Auburn — (wife) Barbara went to school there. That's where we met. But in my analysis, I had been at Georgia too long — 17 years.

"All of my children grew up here, so my roots were more recent and even deeper. If I had been at Georgia four or five years, I would've jumped the Chattahoochee to come back."

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 15h15 hours ago

"I was a walkon in this league," says Gus Malzahn. He was not. Arkansas was in the SWC.

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 2h2 hours ago Connecticut, USA

Urban Meyer lives for rivalry games. Going back to his Utah days, he's 22-2 against his biggest rivals -- BYU, FSU, UGA, Tenn. and Michigan.

Not included: Bama

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger Verified account
‏@RossDellenger

Nugget: Ed Orgeron has now won more games (11) in 15 games as an interim coach than he did in 35 games at Ole Miss (10).

jbcarol

Tom Groeschen ‏@TomGroeschen 14h14 hours ago

Just spoke with #UC AD Mike Bohn here in Tulsa. For now, he prefers to not comment on Tuberville job status.

jbcarol

Jonathan Hutton ‏@Hutton1045 9h9 hours ago

Butch Jones left media room b4 most press members could make it down elevator.

So who is there to take questions from media?

His Sr QB.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AdamSparks/status/803990149155655680

QuoteNov. 29, 2016

Hello Commodore Nation,

I hope you and your families had an enjoyable Thanksgiving weekend. I was blessed to spend Thanksgiving at home in Nashville where our immediate family was joined by a host of friends and relatives.

From a sports viewpoint the weekend was pretty good. As we started the Thanksgiving break, we learned that our outstanding Men's Golf team was ranked number one in the country following the fall season. Congratulations to Coach Scott Limbaugh, who was also named the 2015-16 Vanderbilt Coach of the Year, and congratulations to the entire Men's Golf team! After suffering a loss to Butler University on Thursday, our Men's Basketball team defeated a very good Santa Clara team in the Continental Tire Las Vegas Invitational on Friday. As the team prepares for Tuesday night's contest against cross town rival, Tennessee State University, Coach Drew is off to a 3-3 mark in his first season. On Sunday, Coach White and our Women's Basketball team visited Martin, Tenn. and defeated the UT-Martin Women's Basketball team to move Coach White's first year record to 5-1. Good work to both of our first year Commodore coaches!

Now let's talk about took place on Saturday! In college football, the Saturday after Thanksgiving is called "Rivalry Weekend" for a reason. We always play our cross-state rival, the University of Tennessee, on this Saturday and this year's game was played at our stadium. What a game it was! The stadium was packed with lots of fans dressed in black & gold and at least an equal amount in orange. UT had their eyes set on a victory and a trip to the Sugar Bowl, while the men in black & gold had a different outcome in mind.

Personally, I am used to rivalries from high school and college athletics, where I played in a few, and with my fourteen years at the Ohio State University where I experienced the Ohio State/Michigan annual game. I understand that these games have nothing to do with records and have everything to do with the moment at hand.

Saturday's game between the University of Tennessee and our Vanderbilt men was as good as it gets for an end of the season rivalry game. Down 31-24 at halftime, speeches by Coach Mason, senior Jay Woods, and assistant coach Chris Marve (who played in four of these games) prompted our guys to turn the second half into a Vanderbilt showcase. Our defense declared that they would hold Tennessee to zero points and let our offense handle the rest. And they pretty much did (even though UT scored 3)!

The offense led by Kyle Shurmur's 416 yards passing, Ralph Webb setting the career rushing record and the outstanding job by a wonderful group of offensive linemen scored three touchdowns in the second half. The defense, led by Butkus Award finalist Zach Cunningham who is a candidate for SEC Defensive Player of the Year and SEC-leading tackler, stopped the Volunteers time-and-time again. At the end of the game even with Tennessee's quarterback, Josh Dobbs, having an outstanding game, our Commodores celebrated a hard fought victory with a final score of 45-34. What a night!

Not only did we win the game, but our team and program became bowl eligible for the first time under Coach Derek Mason. Let me say a word about the work Coach Mason has done with this program. If you have watched our football program as I have, you cannot miss the progress that is occurring on the playing field. While our record is 6-6, our last two victories over the University of Mississippi and the University of Tennessee were clear evidence that the decision to place our football program under the leadership of Coach Mason was, in fact, the right decision. If you were at the last game, during the senior recognition ceremony you would have witnessed the recognition of 26 academic seniors with their parents. This serves as even more evidence that our football program is in great hands with Coach Derek Mason at the helm. The Chancellor and I, as well as the entire athletic department, are proud of the job Coach Mason has done and we are certainly proud of these young men who wear the Black & Gold.

We are looking forward to Coach Mason leading us to an outstanding bowl experience and more success in upcoming football seasons. Coach Derek Mason is a Commodore!

At this time we do not know where we will be playing, but we certainly hope you as a member of Commodore Nation, will be able to join Coach Mason, Chancellor Zeppos and myself for a great celebration of this team.

While I wish I could give you more information about the Bowl we truly will not know where we will play until around 4 p.m. CST on Sunday, December 4th. I can tell you the options that we believe exist are as follows:

A. Outback Bowl [Don't Stop Believin'] -- Tampa, FL -- January 2, 2017
B. Taxslayer Bowl -- Jacksonville, FL -- December 31, 2016
C. Belk Bowl -- Charlotte, NC -- December 29, 2016
D. Advocare V100 Texas Bowl -- Houston, TX -- December 28, 2016
E. AutoZone Liberty Bowl -- Memphis, TN -- December 30, 2016
F. Birmingham Bowl -- Birmingham, AL -- December 29, 2016
G. Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl -- Nashville, TN -- December 30, 2016
H. Camping World Independence Bowl -- Shreveport, LA -- December 26, 2016

This will be Vanderbilt's eighth bowl game in the history of the university and our fifth bowl in the past nine years. Let's get behind these young men and their coaches to show our support for the Black & Gold!

I also hope you were at the beginning of the game on Saturday to witness the dropping of the Anchor, which is done only by very special people in and to Vanderbilt Athletics. At this game, we were honored to have Associate Athletics Director Rod Williamson, who is retiring after 33 years as a member of the athletic staff, drop the Anchor. I personally want to thank Rod for his service to Vanderbilt and its student-athletes. Rod will always be a Commodore and he will always have a home here.

Anchor Down!

David Williams, II
Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics

jbcarol

jbcarol

GTOWNHOG

is truly ALABAMA and the 13 dwarfs......   Don't see much changing in the next few years.... 
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/MikeBBonner/status/806658775058968576

Quote"I don't like commenting on other jobs; I've had several schools reach out to me this year," Mullen told The Clarion-Ledger. "I'm very happy at Mississippi State, and I think we're working on an extension for me to stay there."

tate didn't extend the head coach's contract after last season, something it had done in every previous offseason. It will likely be a top priority for new athletic director John Cohen, who will negotiate with Mullen's new agent Jimmy Sexton.

https://twitter.com/MikeBBonner/status/806659204136259584

QuoteSTARKVILLE - Of the 13th [sic] Southeastern Conference schools that reported salaries of their assistant football coaches, Mississippi State's ranked the lowest...

Dan Mullen's assistants combined to make $3,359,000, which ranked 27th nationally but last in the SEC. Vanderbilt didn't report its coaches' salaries [and will not].

LSU had the highest salary for its assistants in the country at $5,781,500. Alabama ranked third ($5,320,000), Texas A&M fourth ($4,811,000) and Georgia was fifth ($4,675.000).

Peter Sirmon was the only Bulldog assistant ranked in the top 180 in terms of salary. The first-year defensive coordinator made $635,000 this year, which put him 45th overall among college football assistants. By comparison, Texas A&M's defensive coordinator John Chavis earned $1.58 million this year as the highest paid assistant in the country.

SEC accounted for six of the top 10 paid assistants in the nation. Alabama offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin ranked third making $1.4 million. LSU defensive coordinator Dava [sic] Aranda was paid $1.3 million, fourth highest. LSU's [former] offensive coordinator Cam Cameron was sixth at $1.2 million. Tennessee's Bob Shoop was eighth at $1.15 million, and Auburn's Kevin Steele was 10th at $1.1 million.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/806947471998013440

QuoteScarblog: Dec. 8, 2006, is not a date which will live in infamy in Alabama football history. Instead Dec. 8, 2006 is a date which should be remembered in this state as Rich Rod Day.

It's not a stretch to suggest that Rich Rodriguez did almost as much for Crimson Tide football as anyone who doesn't have a statue on the Walk of Champions.

And all he did was say no.

No to following Mike Shula as the Alabama coach after the 2006 season. No to accepting the Alabama job at the perfect moment in the program's history.

Because he said no, Nick Saban was able to say yes. That very same day.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Coaching rumors*: Lane Kiffin's work at USC and Tennessee almost made him 'unhireable'

Quote"One person with knowledge of the matter, who had investigated Kiffin for a job, said reference calls to people who worked at USC and Tennessee basically rendered him unhireable," Wolken wrote.

Kiffin spent the past three seasons at Alabama, and the Crimson Tide appeared in the College Football Playoffs in each season. But with his contract set to expire after this season, this was going to be Kiffin's final season in Tuscaloosa, per Wolken.

In addition to taking a job at a Conference USA program that won just three games last year, Kiffin will also be taking a paycut. He made $1.4 million at Alabama, and is expected to make less than $1 million at Florida Atlantic.

*Rumours here is defined as a story that is created and posted passionately because it will be embraced by many who want to believe it is true.

Fun Fact: Dan Wolken also spread a rumour that Kiffin had been hired by Houston

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/809045523923697664

QuotePeter King via MMQB: Keep these names in mind for the unsung college guys who just might come out of nowhere: Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen, who is popular in the eyes of some in the NFL for his development of Dak Prescott and is well-liked by NFL people who pass through Starkville ...

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Steve Berkowitz ‏@ByBerkowitz 31 Dec 2016

Bama win over Washington in #CFPlayoff #PeachBowl semifinal means an additional $100,000 bonus for coach Nick Saban.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/KevinScarbinsky/status/817022102918332416

Quote... decade has passed since Nick Saban walked into the Mal Moore Athletic Facility, two months before that building was given the perfect name, and took control of Alabama football.

The date was Jan. 4, 2007. It'll live in infamy...

Saban said a lot of things that day and made a few promises. Some everyone remembers, like his brash lines about working to be a champion and dominate Auburn 365 days a year - both missions accomplished - and one in particular I'd forgotten.

He said it during his introductory press conference, and it must have resonated with me at the time. Here's the conclusion of a column I wrote from that historic day.

"Saban didn't always distinguish himself in getting here, but in the end, he made the right choice for his old employer, his new one and himself.

"He was more than a man in command Thursday. He was a man at peace. As much as a Type A personality can be in the SEC.

"He told personal stories. He ad-libbed a one-liner. He extended an olive branch toward LSU and then poked the Tigers with it, reminding everyone who recruited the bulk of the roster that domed Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl.

"He even said Alabama will be his last coaching stop. Unlike all those denials, this sounded like it has a chance to be the truth."

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams 1h1 hour ago

HOF selection committee has been reluctant to induct person as coach if already in as player. [Johhny] Majors rebuild 3 teams [sic]. Deserves it as coach

jbcarol

jbcarol

Thomas Goldkamp ‏@ThomasGoldkamp 6h6 hours ago

I've said this a bunch, but it's worth repeating. Jim McElwain's 13-3 SEC record is really impressive. Don't care how bad the East is.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/824606117149937664

C- Lily Collins as "Collins"

QuoteBama's head coach seems to always have home-field advantage with that first introduction. Recruiting visits can become auditions and it isn't just Saban selling Alabama.

As the next class of Crimson Tide prospects readies for next Wednesday's National Signing Day, a handful of current Alabama players took a light-hearted look back at that moment they met arguably the most famous coach in college football.

It's sobering.

Saban's work in living rooms isn't chronicled to the degree of his sideline outbursts or news conference blow ups. His players offered insight into the private moments that have added up to six straight top-ranked recruiting classes and considerable success after arriving on campus.

Hootie Jones was an undecided defensive back when Saban visited Monroe, Louisiana. Everyone was at the house when Saban arrived -- his "grandmother, great aunt, and auntie" were among those he remembers sitting down to the dinner table.

The exact menu they served Saban escaped the Alabama senior-to-be earlier this month, "but I know there was cornbread in there."

Home visits typically last in the one-hour range.

"He didn't want to promise me anything because he didn't want to do that," Jones said. "He told me if I came there, he was going to give me the best that he could give me."

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/feherty-nick-sabans-acting-debut-blind-side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVO7ROmk_90

jbcarol

jbcarol

loganlowery ‏@loganlowery 16h16 hours ago

Mullen jokes he might put the Egg Bowl Trophy on the table while negotiating his contract.

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 21h21 hours ago

Muschamp said he understands guys changing their mind and decommitting, especially when it's a flip to USC, part of the recruiting business.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/829824637513117698

Former Auburn head coach wants to focus on the family.

Gene Chizik:
Quote"After many emotional family discussions and a lot of prayerful consideration, I have made the personal decision to step away from football to focus on my family. I have spoken with Coach Fedora and Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham to inform them of my decision and to thank them for the wonderful opportunity I had to be a part of The University of North Carolina for the past two years."

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/830922011878760448

Grading out the SEC coaching hires a year later

Quote2015-16 coaching carousel hit the SEC much harder when Mark Richt, Gary Pinkel and Steve Spurrier, all longtime head coaches at their respective schools, decided to move on or were fired. The hiring of Kirby Smart, Barry Odom and Will Muschamp to replace each of those three, respectively, drew criticism yet praise.

Will Muschamp, South Carolina, B
Muschamp, the only of the three men hired last season that had any previous head coaching experience, has proved to be the best through the first full season.

Kirby Smart, Georgia, B-/C+
Georgia finished with the third-ranked recruiting class in the country, one of its best ever. If coaching hires were based solely on recruiting, Smart would get an A++.

But they're not.

Barry Odom, Missouri, D+
Odom didn't have a very promising first year.

It was the worst recruiting class at Missouri since the Tigers joined the SEC.

Missouri ended up with Odom and there doesn't appear to be a lot to be excited about in the near future for Missouri.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 56m56 minutes ago

So who's the second-best football coach in the SEC heading into 2017 (and maybe ever)?
Let's discuss: http://trib.al/MP3PhUU

QuoteSo who is second after Saban? Here's a short list:

Bret Bielema, Arkansas -- Bielema has multiple conference championships, just none in the SEC. He won three straight Big Ten titles at Wisconsin before leaving for the SEC

Hugh Freeze, Ole Miss -- Freeze is the only active SEC coach with multiple wins over Saban.

Gus Malzahn, Auburn -- Malzahn is the only active SEC coach other than Saban with a conference title, and the only other one who has played for a national championship. Take out 2013, however...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/833104529361141760

What was Ed Orgeron like as a HS player? The best answer from any of his high school teammates: "He was like," one said, "a stump."

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/836361135871918080

QuoteMullen, 44, is 61-44 in eight seasons in Starkville. He is 5-2 in bowl games, including a 17-16 victory over Miami of Ohio in the St. Petersburg Bowl this past season.

"Dan has brought unprecedented success to Bulldog football and is one of the elite coaches in the country," MSU athletics director John Cohen said. "From a school-record seven straight bowl games to our performance in the classroom, he continues to raise the standard of excellence."

Mullen was heading into the final season of his contract in 2017, in which he will earn $4.5 million. He was originally set to earn $4.2 million this season.

Mullen ranks third in Mississippi State history in coaching victories, just four behind Allyn McKeen (65 from 1939-48) for second. Jackie Sherrill holds the school record for coaching victories, with 75 from 1991-2003.

"I am very thankful to the University and athletic administration for their belief in me," Mullen said. "We have built a special program over the last eight years, creating a culture where winning is expected while achieving that in the toughest division in college football.

"I am proud of what we have accomplished, and I am truly excited about the direction we are heading as a program. This extension allows my family a long-term future here in Starkville, a place we are proud to call home." 

Mullen is the second-longest tenured football coach in the SEC, having been on the job since 2008. In that category, he is behind only Alabama's Nick Saban, who was hired in 2007.

Longest contract extension allowed by state law

jbcarol

Christopher Smith‏Verified account @csmithSEC 7h7 hours ago

Inaugural @SECcountry coach approval ratings:

1. Nick Saban: 97.4%
2. Jim McElwain: 85.9%
3. Mark Stoops: 85.0%
4. Ed Orgeron: 84.2%
5. Dan Mullen: 84.1%
6. Will Muschamp: 83.1%
7. Hugh Freeze: 80.6%
8. Kirby Smart: 79.7%
9. Derek Mason: 75.6%
10. Barry Odom: 71.9%
11. Bret Bielema: 68.7%
12. Butch Jones: 65.5%
13. Kevin Sumlin: 59.5%
14. Gus Malzahn: 57.9%

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/838525791793266688

QuoteHere's how all 14 coaches rank heading into the 2017 round of spring camps:

1. Nick Saban, Alabama
Record: 210-61-1 (119-19 at Alabama)

2. Dan Mullen, Mississippi State
Record: 61-42 (all at Mississippi State)

7. Bret Bielema, Arkansas
Record: 93-50 (25-26 at Arkansas)

12. Ed Orgeron, LSU
Record: 22-29 (6-2 at LSU)