Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who are your 3 FAVORITE Cardinals' players right now?

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, August 11, 2015, 08:22:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

For me:

1. Molina - the QB of this team - slow as molasses, but really knows the game and knows how to calm his pitchers
2. Grichuk - I think he could be the next Jim Edmonds
3. Heyward - always gives 100%, great D, great arm
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Horsesrus

Wacha - I have the most faith in him of all our quality starters.
Martinez - I think he has the best stuff of our starters and he's exciting to watch.
Carpenter - He seems to be coming out of his slump since going back to leadoff and I like his all around game. Wong and Heyward are right there with Carpenter for their all-around games buy you said I can only take 3.

I have minor annoyances with most of the other players.  Molina and Peralta drive me crazy with their lack of speed on the bases and hitting into double plays.  Grichuk is very exciting but he needs to cut down his strike outs (especially with men on third and less than two outs). Piscotty is showing a ton of promise but limited sample size.  Reynolds and Moss strike out way too much and neither can hit for average.  Lynn throws too many pitches, Garcia has been great but I am just waiting for his next injury and Lackey is consistent at home but needs to improve on the road.  Rosenthal has been great this year but he makes me nervous too often.

Good points, especially on Wong/Carpenter/Heyward.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

popcornhog

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on August 11, 2015, 08:22:47 pm
For me:

1. Molina - the QB of this team - slow as molasses, but really knows the game and knows how to calm his pitchers
2. Grichuk - I think he could be the next Jim Edmonds
3. Heyward - always gives 100%, great D, great arm

Isn't there already a Cardinals thread?!?!

😀
WPS

popcornhog

Favorite three? Hmm. Yadi is obviously the heart and soul of the team, but I love all of the young guys -- Piscotty (small sample as mentioned above, but beautiful swing), Grichuk, Heyard, Martinez, Wacha. The young talent is absolutely amazing.

My three subjectively favorite players are probably John Lackey, Yadier Molina, and Waino.

If we resign Heyward and he continues to hit like he has of late, I suspect he'll be on my list of 3 favorite players a few years down the road.

I'll give honorable mention to Kolten Wong -- watching him grow up over the past 2 + years has been fun. The guy makes great plays and can crush the ball in big spots.

Honestly though, it's hard to list just 3 favorites on this team. The guy that's impressed me most has been Carlos Martinez. I didn't think he'd be up to being a regular in the rotation yet. Boy was I wrong.

Jhonny Peralta is another guy who should be on my list, really. Think about the issues we've had at SS since Ozzy. Peralta has been incredibly consistent in the field and at the plate.

And how do I leave off Carpenter? Who works harder than that guy? Yeah, he had a huge slump before the all star break, but now he's hitting over .300 in recent weeks and knocking homers left and right.

Lance Lynn -- there's the symbol of consistency, right? He just hasn't gotten run support this year. Speaking of run support, Jaime Garcia has been lights out (when healthy), but gets ZERO run support. I love his stuff. Just wish he could stay healthy.

As for the issues at 1B -- Mark Reynolds has been thrust into a role that he was not brought in for. Honestly, I'm happy with how he's responded, despite the K's.

Truthfully there just isn't "a guy" or even 3 guys who I can really pick as a favorite. It's been a true team effort without a traditional MVP like you'd expect for a tea with 72 wins at this point. Even Kozma and Boujos have made big plays defensively and at the plate to help win games at times.

I really like this team a lot.
WPS

cubsfan5150

QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

popcornhog

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on August 12, 2015, 06:22:56 pm
Daryl Kyle
Josh Hancock
Oscar Tavares

Cubs fans are sick, morbid weirdos who don't spell reel good.

I take it back, I actually enjoy going to Wrigley. Every fan base has its losers. I'll assume that you're an embarrassment to most Cubs fans.

WPS

jrulz83

The pitching staff as a whole are my favorites.  :)

Carpenter's presence can't be replaced, same for Molina.

Heyward plugged along through his adjustment period and has been a calming presence in RF and at the plate.

Lackey is one of my favorites, I love the crusty veteran pitcher.

I really like Grichuk and his blossoming potential as a Major League outfielder.

I can't pick three, I like this team as a whole. 
Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

jrulz83

Quote from: popcornhog on August 12, 2015, 06:07:18 pm
Favorite three? Hmm. Yadi is obviously the heart and soul of the team, but I love all of the young guys -- Piscotty (small sample as mentioned above, but beautiful swing), Grichuk, Heyard, Martinez, Wacha. The young talent is absolutely amazing.

My three subjectively favorite players are probably John Lackey, Yadier Molina, and Waino.

If we resign Heyward and he continues to hit like he has of late, I suspect he'll be on my list of 3 favorite players a few years down the road.

I'll give honorable mention to Kolten Wong -- watching him grow up over the past 2 + years has been fun. The guy makes great plays and can crush the ball in big spots.

Honestly though, it's hard to list just 3 favorites on this team. The guy that's impressed me most has been Carlos Martinez. I didn't think he'd be up to being a regular in the rotation yet. Boy was I wrong.

Jhonny Peralta is another guy who should be on my list, really. Think about the issues we've had at SS since Ozzy. Peralta has been incredibly consistent in the field and at the plate.

And how do I leave off Carpenter? Who works harder than that guy? Yeah, he had a huge slump before the all star break, but now he's hitting over .300 in recent weeks and knocking homers left and right.

Lance Lynn -- there's the symbol of consistency, right? He just hasn't gotten run support this year. Speaking of run support, Jaime Garcia has been lights out (when healthy), but gets ZERO run support. I love his stuff. Just wish he could stay healthy.

As for the issues at 1B -- Mark Reynolds has been thrust into a role that he was not brought in for. Honestly, I'm happy with how he's responded, despite the K's.

Truthfully there just isn't "a guy" or even 3 guys who I can really pick as a favorite. It's been a true team effort without a traditional MVP like you'd expect for a tea with 72 wins at this point. Even Kozma and Boujos have made big plays defensively and at the plate to help win games at times.

I really like this team a lot.

Good stuff.  I agree, love the young talent.

Quote from: popcornhog on August 12, 2015, 06:25:22 pm
Cubs fans are sick, morbid weirdos who don't spell reel good.

I take it back, I actually enjoy going to Wrigley. Every fan base has its losers. I'll assume that you're an embarrassment to most Cubs fans.

Quote from: jrulz83 on August 12, 2015, 06:27:59 pm
Uncalled for and frankly, despicable.

Should not surprise or shock any Cardinals' fan who has been around Cubs' fans.  They are entertaining to watch, but may just be the most classless fans in all of MLB.  They also are not very "baseball smart".

cubsfan5150

Looks like some Cardinals aren't very "motorized vehicle smart"

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on August 12, 2015, 07:41:50 pm

Yeah, that's true with a lot of MLB players.  But as far as fans go, the Cards are probably the best and the Cubs are just awful.  Classless and clueless.

jrulz83

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on August 12, 2015, 07:41:50 pm

The Flubs and their fans aren't very World Series smart. How long has it been now? 110 years?

cubsfan5150

Let's not try to change the subject... I named my three favorite Cards just like the rest of you guys.

jrulz83

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on August 12, 2015, 08:34:25 pm
Let's not try to change the subject... I named my three favorite Cards just like the rest of you guys.

Who's changing the subject?

I'm just pointing out that your favored franchise has sucked for 110 years. That's all.

popcornhog

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on August 12, 2015, 08:34:25 pm

Even assuming that you weren't trying to say that Dead Cardinals are the only ones you like/you wish death to Cardinals players/etc, did you not comprehend the question in the OP?

I've never had anything against the Cubs, I've enjoyed watching their success this year. But you sir, are trash. I am indeed glad that you are not a Cardinal fan and hope to God that you're not a Razorback fan.
WPS

cubsfan5150

Yes, I comprehended the question. Those three are my favorite right now.

Also, yes I'm a Hogs fan too.

You guys shouldn't get so upset. I hate the Cards, and if the Cubs were always good, you'd hate them too.

popcornhog

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on August 12, 2015, 09:19:31 pm

You guys shouldn't get so upset. I hate the Cards, and if the Cubs were always good, you'd hate them too.

The OP obviously meant current players. It may not have been worded perfectly, but use context clues, my man. At any rate, I know you're trolling. I don't know why I even responded.

I'll go out on a limb and assume you're a huge Donald Trump supporter.

I love going to games at Wrigley, Tiger Stadium, etc. Bantering with opposing rival fans is part of what I love about sports.

But in all of my trips to Chicago, Baton Rouge, Austin, etc . . . I've never encountered scum as low as you. I'm not going to hold it against the Cubs though. I hope they get the 2nd wildcard spot or even overtake Pittsburgh.
WPS

popcornhog

5-0 off a Liriano base hit. Brings Polanco up.

Movement in the pen in the top of the 1st. Two down.

Lynn's pitch count is 41.

Base hit RBI 6-0 Pirates.

Pitching change.
WPS

popcornhog

WPS

pigture perfect

I think we have seen the difference between Cubs and Cardinal fans in this thread.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

popcornhog

WPS

popcornhog

1 out 2 RBI double for Molina!

But McCutchen throws Heyward out at 3rd.

7-2
WPS

clutch

I think Wong is probably my new favorite Cardinal. After Wong I'd have to say Yadi and probably Wacha.

That's a really tough question.

WMHawgfan

Bourjos
Kozma
Cruz

Probably the least liked Cardinals. I just feel somebody should show them some love.

popcornhog

Quote from: WMHawgfan on August 14, 2015, 02:59:02 pm
Bourjos
Kozma
Cruz

Probably the least liked Cardinals. I just feel somebody should show them some love.

Kozma has earned it. Lol although the hatred is overstated generally.

I don't get the Bourjos hate. He's a below average hitter but great at everything else. I consider him to be an elite reserve.

Cruz gets very few opportunities, I do like him, but who knows?
WPS

Quote from: popcornhog on August 14, 2015, 04:33:18 pm
I don't get the Bourjos hate. He's a below average hitter but great at everything else. I consider him to be an elite reserve.

Yes, I hope we keep him for the play-offs.

dhornjr1

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on August 12, 2015, 09:19:31 pm

And I guess you wouldn't find it classless if an Arkansas State fan said his favorite Razorback is Brandon Burlsworth.

Yeah, the Cardinals have had three active players die in the last thirteen years. And even with those tragedies, they have managed to win more World Series in the last five years than your ball-sweat licking team has won in 107 years.

Congrats on your smarmy answer, though. You sure won that.

Oh, wait.

Look at that. A Cub won something.