Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can Arkansas Win A SEC Championship Under CBB?

Started by Aaron Peters, June 26, 2016, 07:54:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Aaron Peters

June 26, 2016, 07:54:01 pm Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 09:03:04 am by Scott Marshall
Bo Mattingly and Mike Irwin join Aaron Peters for this Razorback Nation Roundtable discussion. Topics include the chances of Hog football winning a conference championship under Brett Bielema, the UA athletic dept. budget and the LPGA's NWA Championship.

Bo Mattingly, Sports Talk W/Bo:
"It's interested, when Bielema first got here he said he wanted to give Arkansas something it has never had before. Lebron James just did that in Cleveland, can Bret Bielema do it at Arkansas. Cleveland as a city throughout all their sports had not won a title since 1964. Arkansas had not won an SEC championship in 36 seasons but yes I believe Bret Bielema can because of the way he does things which is development and over a period of time, 4,6,7 years and then back at Wisconsin 5,6,7 is when you really see that development pay off."

Mike Irwin, Razorback Nation Reporter:
"I think he will do it but I think there will be other factors. I think there are going to be some major coach upheavals in the SEC west. I don't think Saban will be doing this that much longer and once he is out of the way that makes a huge difference, it changes things when you are not having to beat Nick Saban every year. And I think Les Miles is gone, people say they have their best team ever I will have to see it to believe it so I think he might be gone and they might have a hard time replacing him at LSU so the deck might get cleared a little bit for Bielema if those two guys are out of the way."

Read More Here: http://www.nwahomepage.com/rvhp/can-arkansas-win-a-sec-championship-under-brett-bielema-roundtable-discussion

theFlyingHog

Arkansas had not won an SEC championship in 36 seasons? I must have slept a lot longer than I thought last night. So we go a while longer without one, Marty?

nwahogfan1

I agree with Mike.  Coaches will change and schools will lose a key player or two to grades, injury or what ever.   I see us winning at least one SECC in the next 6 years because we are seeing so much upgrading to our facilities, coaches and recruiting.

HogMantheIntruder

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 29, 2016, 06:52:27 pm
Quite simply, no.  It's darn near impossible to play from under there.
I like where you were going with this, but I think you could do better. If we still had the option, I would +1, but my heart wouldn't be in it.

As to the question, my answer is a definite yes. I think we have one of, if not the best coaching staffs (as a unit) that we have ever had on the Hill. With the new recruiting rules which favor teams like Arkansas, combined with top notch facilities and the use of social media, we are finally able to compete with "traditional powers" for the services of top recruits.

Great coaching + great recruits= more wins= shot at the title.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

TNRazorbacker

Can we yes. Is it likely no. I've always said the stars would need to align just right for it to happen.  We need a talented senior laden team. Get AL and LSU in a home year with at least one of them in a down year. And be very lucky.  I do think Bielema will keep us more consistently competitive though. I think we'll be capable of 7-9 wins most every year. The down years wont be nearly as down.

goodguytex

I think yes we can win the conference. And I think one of our best chances is coming soon... 2017 or 2018 could very possibly be 2 very special years for Razorback football.

However, some things have to go our way... We need coaching continuity. Rhoades and Enos, maybe Smith too need to stay here awhile. We need key injuries to go our way. And our recruiting and detainment of players at positions we have need on to go our way too.

nchogg

Quote from: goodguytex on July 01, 2016, 08:27:31 pm
I think yes we can win the conference. And I think one of our best chances is coming soon... 2017 or 2018 could very possibly be 2 very special years for Razorback football.

However, some things have to go our way... We need coaching continuity. Rhoades and Enos, maybe Smith too need to stay here awhile. We need key injuries to go our way. And our recruiting and detainment of players at positions we have need on to go our way too.
I agree with your answer. Coach wants to win the SEC as much or more than any of us. I think he will do it. He wants to beat Alabama while Saban is the coach and I think he will do that. Go Hogs!

go hogues

If Saban decides to hang it up in the next couple of years, we could arguably become the most stable program in the west for a brief window. The next couple of years will very likely see some form of this scenario:
Saban ages out.
Miles is fired.
Freeze is sanctioned.
Sumlin is mediocre.
Gus is fired.
State will return to being State this year.

We might finally be the stable team, rather than how it's been in years past, with us constantly going through coaching turnover.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

nchogg

Saban won't hang it up until The Bear is an after thought at Alabama. It's also about ego.

bphi11ips

Jeez.  We've been to the championship game three times and the Florida game could have gone either way 10 years ago.

Bret Bielema is the best head coach Arkansas has had since we joined the SEC.  Can he win it?  Well hell yes he can you bunch of sissies.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 02, 2016, 09:49:14 pm
Jeez.  We've been to the championship game three times and the Florida game could have gone either way 10 years ago.

Bret Bielema is the best head coach Arkansas has had since we joined the SEC.  Can he win it?  Well hell yes he can you bunch of sissies.

I like your answer the best so far.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

razorbackkid

He'll have it done in the next three years.  Take it to the bank and tell the teller I've got your back on this check.  The future is bright for our Hogs.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

nchogg

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: Aaron Peters on June 26, 2016, 07:54:01 pm
Arkansas had not won an SEC championship in 36 seasons

Remarkable since we have been in the SEC only since 1992...... which by my math is 24 years (football seasons)
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

HogMantheIntruder

"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

AFWarrior83

Arkansas is at a huge disadvantage in terms of homegrown talent compared to the other schools in our conference, but I think CBB can win an SEC title here if the fans are patient. We're not going to win 10+ games every year, but we'll have a chance to every 3-4 years. With some luck, we can make it to Atlanta.
Hogville member since 2005.

LSUFan

Not as long as Nick Saban and his bag man are here.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

SRV

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 29, 2016, 06:52:27 pm
Quite simply, no.  It's darn near impossible to play from under there.

Nice.  ;)

Woo pig!
We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

Bacons Rebellion

Of course we can. We were one game away with Danny Ford, one game away with Houston Nutt twice, probably one game away with Petrino in 2010 at getting into a much easier SECCG.

Will we? Maybe not. To me, "Can" is not really the question.

GuvHog

Quote from: AFWarrior83 on July 05, 2016, 10:08:20 am
Arkansas is at a huge disadvantage in terms of homegrown talent compared to the other schools in our conference, but I think CBB can win an SEC title here if the fans are patient. We're not going to win 10+ games every year, but we'll have a chance to every 3-4 years. With some luck, we can make it to Atlanta.

Arkansas had 10 wins or more in back to back seasons under Petrino so it's obviously possible more than just once every 3 or 4 years.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Justagp

Quote from: nchogg on July 02, 2016, 01:02:22 pm
Saban won't hang it up until The Bear is an after thought at Alabama. It's also about ego.

Agree

gawntrail

Quote from: goodguytex on July 01, 2016, 08:27:31 pm

2017 or 2018 could very possibly be 2 very special years for Razorback football.

WILL BE ......

AFWarrior83

Quote from: GuvHog on July 09, 2016, 07:54:17 am
Arkansas had 10 wins or more in back to back seasons under Petrino so it's obviously possible more than just once every 3 or 4 years.

No, it's really not. Petrino may have had back to back 10+ win seasons, but he wasn't around long enough to see what our average wins would have been under him.. Since joining the SEC, we've averaged maybe 7 wins per season, just a guess. Feel free to see how far off I'm am, but I bet it ain't by much! CBB is a solid coach, but he is not a miracle worker. We will never be an Alabama type football juggernaut. We can win 10+ back to back, but that doesn't mean we'll do that on a continual basis like LSU, Bama,, etc. does.
Hogville member since 2005.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hawghiggs

I keep reading on here how CBB is the greatest coach we have every had. Yet we keep making the same early season mistake ( Toledo anyone? ) How can we expect him to win an SEC championship, when he can barley get us bowl eligible?   I want to believe that he can turn it around. But we need a few 10 win season before I start even think about an SEC championship.

Catfish Joe

Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 29, 2016, 04:12:15 pm
Arkansas had not won an SEC championship in 36 seasons? I must have slept a lot longer than I thought last night. So we go a while longer without one, Marty?

Arkansas hasn't even been in the SEC 36 years
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."

-John Heisman-

Terryproy

Like a great , song it takes great arrangements to complete. Coach B has all the right ingredients to produce a winning team. Everyone from the Head Coach to the water boy have to be on one accord to achieve that. I think they will do fine this year, but next year will be their breakout year. They have some talented freshmen who need a little seasoning. One freshman will shock the world this year, but I won't say his name. :razorback: :razorback: WooPig

hogcard1964

We're now relying on or hoping other coaches quit in order to win the division/conference?

Pretty pathetic, no?

This is his 4th season.  If we're not in contention this season, something is seriously wrong.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 13, 2016, 11:46:09 am
We're now relying on or hoping other coaches quit in order to win the division/conference?

Pretty pathetic, no?

This is his 4th season.  If we're not in contention this season, something is seriously wrong.

Next season. I don't expect to be in contention this season having to break in a new QB, a new backfield and half the O-line.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hogcard1964

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 13, 2016, 12:02:05 pm

Next season. I don't expect to be in contention this season having to break in a new QB, a new backfield and half the O-line.

No reason for this team not to contend for the SEC West this year.

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 13, 2016, 03:07:41 pm
No reason for this team not to contend for the SEC West this year.

Except for those exact things Al listed
Go away, batin'

hogcard1964

Quote from: cosmodrum on July 13, 2016, 03:18:31 pm
Except for those exact things Al listed

These are his players now.  The team should look like what he's wanted to build.

cosmodrum

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 13, 2016, 03:22:29 pm
These are his players now.  The team should look like what he's wanted to build.

I don't necessarily disagree, but those ARE reasons we will not compete for the SECC this year. He said he had a 5 year plan. I'm looking at next year. If we only win 6-7 games next year, I will have a serious problem.
Go away, batin'

regi

CBB does not currently recruit at a level needed to win the SECC, so says history. I think he will win a lot of games, go to big bowl games, but until he can crack the code on how to bring a few top 10 classes to NWA within the rules (it matters Ole Miss),  we want win the SECC. This is a talent league in the most fertile recruiting ground in America.

LSUFan

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 13, 2016, 03:22:29 pm
Oh Snap!

LSUFan

Quote from: regi on July 13, 2016, 06:47:25 pm
CBB does not currently recruit at a level needed to win the SECC, so says history. I think he will win a lot of games, go to big bowl games, but until he can crack the code on how to bring a few top 10 classes to NWA within the rules (it matters Ole Miss),  we want win the SECC. This is a talent league in the most fertile recruiting ground in America.
Pure football gosple right here, girls.

hogcard1964

Quote from: regi on July 13, 2016, 06:47:25 pm

So, you're claiming he'll probably never win the SEC or go to the playoffs?

mhsbc59

I would really like to see you guys that think it only takes 4 years to win anything on a national level, do just that in just 4 years. It took Frank Broyles 6 years to win 2 bowl games. Granted year 6 was a national title so give CBB at least 6 years before we start to march with pitch forks.
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

tophawg19

it's going to depend on the ref's as well . we've had several stolen from us
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

farmhawg

Quote from: Hawghiggs on July 11, 2016, 09:05:27 pm
I keep reading on here how CBB is the greatest coach we have every had. Yet we keep making the same early season mistake ( Toledo anyone? ) How can we expect him to win an SEC championship, when he can barley get us bowl eligible?   I want to believe that he can turn it around. But we need a few 10 win season before I start even think about an SEC championship.
Even the homers are making excuses for this year already. Then we will have a two year pass coming up and in ten years we wake up and realize we love mediocrity. But if he can run a clean program and keep his mouth shut there are worse coaches we could have.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hogcard1964

Quote from: mhsbc59 on July 16, 2016, 02:43:17 pm
I would really like to see you guys that think it only takes 4 years to win anything on a national level, do just that in just 4 years. It took Frank Broyles 6 years to win 2 bowl games. Granted year 6 was a national title so give CBB at least 6 years before we start to march with pitch forks.

We're talking about competing for and possibly winning the SEC now.  Not a national championship.

The Kig

Quote from: farmhawg on July 19, 2016, 07:33:50 am
Even the homers are making excuses for this year already.

I go into every season thinking we can win em all. That's just the Homer in me, but there are plenty of legitimate concerns coming into this season that are not excuses and would not be any different regardless of who was at the helm. 

With the massive attrition on the Offensive side of the ball, nobody in their right mind would expect a repeat of last year's 2nd half production.   When it finally clicked, it was spectacular.  The only area where I feel that we MUST show significant improvement is on Defense.  They were pretty good at times last year and awful at others.  Returning most of a mediocre Defense scares the crap out of me.

Poker Porker

PonderinHog

Quote from: farmhawg on July 19, 2016, 07:33:50 am
Even the homers are making excuses for this year already. Then we will have a two year pass coming up and in ten years we wake up and realize we love mediocrity. But if he can run a clean program and keep his mouth shut there are worse coaches we could have.
We may not be there yet, but if the trends continue, look for 2018 to be our year to finally win the SECCG.   :razorback:

LSUFan

It took Nick Saban, how long?

mhsbc59

Quote from: hogcard1964 on July 19, 2016, 10:57:04 am
We're talking about competing for and possibly winning the SEC now.  Not a national championship.

To do the one gives you  a very good chance to do the other
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

mhsbc59

Quote from: LSUFan on July 19, 2016, 01:05:12 pm
It took Nick Saban, how long?

Last time I check Arkansas is not Alabama go back to the playground before you decide to join the adult world

PonderinHog

Quote from: mhsbc59 on July 19, 2016, 03:33:53 pm
To do the one gives you  a very good chance to do the other
Dammit, you almost formed a complete sentence and missed the period!  ::)

Are you pregnant?

GuvHog

Bobby Petrino took The Hogs from being almost bare of talent to a team that finished #5 in the nation 4 years later so it can be done.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!