Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Defensive improvement

Started by twistitup, October 04, 2017, 12:36:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

With USCe having an injured O-line - maybe this is the week to see serious defensive improvement. If we can put pressure on the qb, it will take much needed pressure off of our DB's when they are in passing situations.

With rain predicted - it may be a run dominated game in the trenches....with them not being 100% up front - this should help us stop the run too - CBB says we are healthy~

Let's do it
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

phadedhawg

Tejano Jawg

In addition to the obvious—winning the game—what I'd like to see is our defense hold them to no plays longer than 20-25 yards, and only one or two of those. The 40+ yard give-ups are how you lose games.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on October 04, 2017, 12:54:05 pm
In addition to the obvious—winning the game—what I'd like to see is our defense hold them to no plays longer than 20-25 yards, and only one or two of those. The 40+ yard give-ups are how you lose games.

I agree...Big plays are what doom Hog wins in previous loses over the past three seasons. If you noticed all Hog wins, they didn't give up the momentum swinging play be it run or pass. Anytime Hogs give up that big play, it spells doom and gloom.  Great point...

jst01

I'll just never have faith that the defense will have an entire 4 quarters of not giving up a huge play / busted coverage. Seen it too much.  So for Hogs to win I think they will need to get a "safe" lead of 14+ and continue to score, because as sure as the sun comes up in the east, a safety will eventually get caught looking at the wrong guy and leave a WR all alone.

jgphillips3

We are seeing the birthing pains of the new scheme.  When you install a new scheme, it will be a little vanilla and have busts until at least half a season has passed and they know what they are doing.  I think it is quite reasonable to expect that our D will look better in the second half of the season.  Now, our Frankenstein O-line...who knows.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

I would guess that Rhoads is a decent coach overall.  Maybe he hasn't been rained down on enough yet to become a total idiot.  Seems our Coordinators come in doing decent the first year, not real good the second and totally idiots by the 3rd year.

I believe we will see defensive improvement maybe not enough to actually be good though.