Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hurts a Heisman Candidate?

Started by Qui Gon Jinn, October 24, 2016, 05:56:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Qui Gon Jinn

Just looked at ESPN.com article on why Jalen Hurts should be a Heisman candidate.  Maybe I'm missing something.  I'm not saying that he's not a good QB.  But the few times he has been rushed, he has not performed well.  He plays behind what is probably the best offensive line in college football.  He has all the time in the world and when he doesn't he can usually run, but he's made some bad decisions when he was contained and pressured.  Am I just being a Homer if I'm wondering what Austin Allen could do behind that O Line?  In that offense, would he be a Heisman candidate? 
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

ronnie.lambert

Alabama QBs have always had success due to the OLine and players around them.  Look how they pan out in the NFL. Alabama just needs a game manager to have success. Hurts is a pretty decent QB but Allen would thrive behind that line.

Swine-as-wine

Ever since Gino Torretta won the Heisman, as the QB for the team that won the national championship, the best player has
actually won the Heisman but a handful of times at best. Let me put it like this........Lamar Jackson, could literally double his
output per game, but if Louisville loses even one more game, he won't have a chance in hell of winning. ESPN, has turned the
Heisman trophy, into a team award. 

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 24, 2016, 07:32:59 pm
Check the tint on those glasses, Qui Gon - Hurts should be the among the leading candidates for the Heisman Trophy.  How many Alabama games have you watched this year?  For a freshman to be playing at the level Hurts is may be approaching the unprecedented. 

I've watched almost every game they have played.  I didn't say he isn't a good QB.  He is, but when he's rushed and held in the pocket, he makes mistakes.  When you have an O Line like he does, you may look better than you are.  He's good, no doubt.  He will just get better, no doubt.  I just don't think he's the most outstanding player in college football.  If I had a choice, I would go with Lamar Jackson or Deshaun Watson over Hurts.  Fournette would be on my list before him too.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

HiggiePiggy

Most likely it's Lamar Jackson that wins it unless he all of a sudden starts playing extremely crappy.  He can lose another game and still win it. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

uams1989

Resident Bammer here. Excited about Hurts but he has a long way to go before he should even sniff NY. I think we are hopeful he will continue to improve. He'll have to improve his downfield accuracy. Most think he will because most of it is underthrowing his receivers who are so much faster than what he was throwing to a year ago.

His greatest attribute right now is his calmness and ability not to get rattled.

I for one have been extremely impressed with Allen. IMO, he's ahead of his brother at the same point in their careers. . Give him credit because he takes a beating.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/791285206032457732

QuoteHurts has the fifth-best odds from Bovada, sitting at 22/1. Ahead of him are Lousville's Lamar Jackson, Michigan's Jabrill Peppers, Washington's Jake Browning and Ohio State's J.T. Barrett.

Through eight games this season, Hurts has thrown for 1,578 yards and 12 touchdowns, while also rushing for 521 yards and nine scores.

J. Allen and Fournette could be considered snubs on the list.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/796518477544689664

Quote— Saban on Jalen Hurts: He's had a really good week of practice this week. He's working hard and making strides in the passing game
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

RollHogTide

Quote from: uams1989 on October 24, 2016, 08:38:35 pm
Resident Bammer here. Excited about Hurts but he has a long way to go before he should even sniff NY. I think we are hopeful he will continue to improve. He'll have to improve his downfield accuracy. Most think he will because most of it is underthrowing his receivers who are so much faster than what he was throwing to a year ago.

His greatest attribute right now is his calmness and ability not to get rattled.

I completely agree - he may develop into an overall great QB, but at this point the game is still a little fast for him.  But, he is getting there quickly and I am very hopeful for his future.

holeinthewall

Quote from: sevenof400 on October 24, 2016, 07:41:47 pm
IIRC, Toretta won the Heisman, then got beat by Alabama in the '93 Sugar Bowl.  The NC came the year before.

You are correct.

QuoteMost likely it's Lamar Jackson that wins it unless he all of a sudden starts playing extremely crappy.  He can lose another game and still win it. 

Friday night he gets to play at Houston. No reason every Heisman voter and playoff committee member shouldn't be watching this game. Louisville gets to put up some style points with a big win and lots of yards.

jbcarol

root_hawg

2700 total yards from scrimmage, 27 total tds, 7 ints, playing toughest schedule in the country

Jackrabbit Hog

For those who are mentioning his lack of accuracy when rushed in the pocket, you need to remember that Alabama has changed its offensive philosophy quite a bit the last couple of years.  Call it Saban changing with the times or whatever, but their offense is now geared toward a QB who can run as well as pass, and Hurts has been perfect in that role so far.  It's not the same offense that Wilson, McElroy, McCarron and Coker ran.  It calls for more than a game manager.

I wouldn't vote for Hurts this year, but I'd keep my eye on him for the next couple of years.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 24, 2016, 06:34:28 am
I still think Hurts belongs in NY, but he won't win the Heisman this year.

Next time you watch Alabama play, watch how quiet Hurts' upper body is when he runs, especially in the open field.  It's almost eerie how he avoids tackles.  Most scrambling, running QBs, like Manziel for instance, are all over the map when they run.  But hurts is so deceptive because he's so under control and his head is always looking downfield. 
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/803390162008940544

QuoteQB Jalen Hurts, Alabama: His numbers aren't as absurd as some, but here's what the true freshman has going for him: the No. 1 Crimson Tide are still undefeated.

He's completed an SEC-best 65.9 percent of his passes for 2,454 yards, rushed for 840 yards and produced 33 total touchdowns. His 14 total turnovers look like a real knock against him – until you consider Jackson has the same number.

And unlike Jackson, Hurts still has one more game to make a statement before ballots are due.

jbcarol

Torqued pork

It's a ho-hum year for Heisman candidates. It's not surprising at all that the media would find a Bama player to throw in the mix.

HiggiePiggy

Doesn't matter who goes.  The winner will be Lamar Jackson. 

riccoar

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 06, 2016, 06:25:47 am
Doesn't matter who goes.  The winner will be Lamar Jackson. 
I'd agree best player all around.  But dear Lord hope this kid stays and learns all he can before jumping. 

IMABIELEMA

Hurts isn't a good QB.  In fact I would go a step further and say he sucks.  All Bama throws is behind the line of scrimmage passes.  Hurts has a below 40% completion rate for passes past the line of scrimmage. And he is a glorified running back.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: riccoar on December 06, 2016, 06:55:11 am
I'd agree best player all around.  But dear Lord hope this kid stays and learns all he can before jumping. 

I believe he is a true sophomore. So he will have to stay at least another year. 

LRHawg

His percentage is only good because of the lateral passes and gimme screens from Bama's dominating run game. Meh. It's basically prom king at this point. Just give it to him. Louisville probably lost one game too many for Jackson to win.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: LRHawg on December 06, 2016, 11:00:55 pm
His percentage is only good because of the lateral passes and gimme screens from Bama's dominating run game. Meh. It's basically prom king at this point. Just give it to him. Louisville probably lost one game too many for Jackson to win.
last year it totally should have been mcaffery, teabow's year it was ddawg's. same with troy smith's year, ddawg really got ho'd there. heisman .... i don't even really care anymore. it's beyond ridiculous.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

jbcarol

Wes Rucker
‏@wesrucker247

Take Jalen Hurts away from Bama, and Bama is ... still 13-0. Take Joshua Dobbs away from Tennessee, #Vols don't go bowling. No. Contest.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 06, 2016, 11:28:59 pm
last year it totally should have been mcaffery, teabow's year it was ddawg's. same with troy smith's year, ddawg really got ho'd there. heisman .... i don't even really care anymore. it's beyond ridiculous.

Sorry I disagree with tebows year.  If Nutt would have gotten Dmac more rushing TDs than Tebow then he would have had a chance.  Tebow blew him away in TDs rushing and then had I believe 51 Total TDs.  Dmac should have won his sophomore year over the Ohio state qb. 

redneckfriend

Quote from: Qui Gon Jinn on October 24, 2016, 05:56:48 pm
Just looked at ESPN.com article on why Jalen Hurts should be a Heisman candidate.  Maybe I'm missing something.  I'm not saying that he's not a good QB.  But the few times he has been rushed, he has not performed well.  He plays behind what is probably the best offensive line in college football.  He has all the time in the world and when he doesn't he can usually run, but he's made some bad decisions when he was contained and pressured.  Am I just being a Homer if I'm wondering what Austin Allen could do behind that O Line?  In that offense, would he be a Heisman candidate? 

You are 120% correct. Hurts is serviceable and unflappable. He can turn the corner against some teams. If he is pressured his passing drops to less than average (the pass he completed to, I think Stewart or Ridley, across the middle on third and long against Florida was classic. The receiver was wide open and had to make like an acrobat to reach behind himself going full speed to catch it.) He has no business being in the Heisman conversation and wouldn't except the options are so bad this year. Jackson has been all over the map and doesn't really deserve it, Fournette has been unimpressive. Maybe Peppers should get it.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/818822215089192960

Quote"You never want to be on this end of it but today we are," Hurts said. "My sophomore season starts tomorrow."

Hurts, who said he'd likely watch film of the national championship game when he got back to his hotel, had a chance to go down as an Alabama legend as he led a 6-play, 68-yard scoring drive that finished with his own 30-yard touchdown. The touchdown gave Alabama a 31-28 lead with 2:31 remaining...

"We might have scored too fast but it is what it is," Hurts said.

Hog N Bama

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/823593685556359169

QuotePat Bradley: Bovada released their early 2017 Heisman odds, and while six SEC players made the list, they're all squished into the middle of the pack.

Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts leads the way for the Southeastern Conference tied for the sixth-best odds.

He's followed closely by teammate Bo Scarbrough and LSU running back Derrius Grice. Reigning winner Lamar Jackson isn't favored.

Nick Fitzgerald, QB, Mississippi State    22/1
Nick Chubb, RB, Georgia    25/1
Kamryn Pettway, RB, Auburn    25/1

jbcarol