Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I've read this board for a couple months now

Started by hawgsalot, February 03, 2018, 10:57:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgsalot

I've read this board for a couple months now, the negative nancy's that always b*#&) and moan and the Sun never goes down crowd.  Seems to me this team is pretty dang good and the one thing keeping it from being a top 15 team is the lack of a serviceable 4. I wish Mike would at times is put Hall at the 4 and play fast but not sure he has the bench.   If this team had 2 decent 4's it would be pretty devastating offensive and defensive team, unfortunately Mike hasn't even found one.  That's the thing people should be whining about, most of the other stuff is just arm chair point guard bs.

raz1965

3of5-2

Well since Mike is the one that is in charge of recruiting, coaching, developing, teaching, deciding the lineup, inserting the subs, game planning, game strategy, game adjustments, chemistry, defense, offense, one would think that after 7 years, that would have been done by now.

hawgsalot

Quote from: 3of5-2 on February 03, 2018, 11:07:08 am
Well since Mike is the one that is in charge of recruiting, coaching, developing, teaching, deciding the lineup, inserting the subs, game planning, game strategy, game adjustments, chemistry, defense, offense, one would think that after 7 years, that would have been done by now.

Can't disagree with that but he did recruit Bobby and he would be a senior this year so he can do it but I do agree it's his responsibility.  I will also agree there are very few programs that have all the pieces, only the highest recruiting year in and year out can pull that off.

The_Iceman

Quote from: hawgsalot on February 03, 2018, 10:57:31 am
I've read this board for a couple months now, the negative nancy's that always b*#&) and moan and the Sun never goes down crowd.  Seems to me this team is pretty dang good and the one thing keeping it from being a top 15 team is the lack of a serviceable 4. I wish Mike would at times is put Hall at the 4 and play fast but not sure he has the bench.   If this team had 2 decent 4's it would be pretty devastating offensive and defensive team, unfortunately Mike hasn't even found one.  That's the thing people should be whining about, most of the other stuff is just arm chair point guard bs.

Mike has been in charge 7 years. The reason we don't have a serviceable 4 is 100% his fault!

We will always we saying "we would be great IF..." as long as Mediocre Mike is head coach.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawgsalot on February 03, 2018, 11:21:03 am
Can't disagree with that but he did recruit Bobby and he would be a senior this year so he can do it but I do agree it's his responsibility.  I will also agree there are very few programs that have all the pieces, only the highest recruiting year in and year out can pull that off.

If you recruit NBA type talent and expect them to be here 4 years, you aren't very smart.  Just isn't happening in today's college basketball culture. 

porkinsons disease

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 03, 2018, 11:32:49 am
If you recruit NBA type talent and expect them to be here 4 years, you aren't very smart.  Just isn't happening in today's college basketball culture. 
Yeah, Mike was in uncharted waters there
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

latrops

The complaining is less about this year and more about ongoing issues that have us perpetually on the NCAAT bubble at best.  Can Anderson put together a complete enough roster and adapt his scheme to better compete with teams that have good ball handlers and shooters?

razorpimp

You obviously been reading this board more than watching them play or you would realize they have many more issues

26.2Hog

Yeah, and the only thing that kept me from being a Rhodes Scholar was my grades.

HogsonHicks

So you're saying people shouldn't be bothered by a 15-7 / 4-5 record because we don't have enough good players.  Further, we'd be good if we had better players.

Enlightening. 

East TN HAWG

I think your off.  We could have Corliss, and we would not be any better.  Thompson/Gafford together is strong. The problem is the lack of defense, and the one-on-one offensive sets.  A stud four would never see the ball unless he rebounded it.

When this team plays like a team on both ends of the court, we will be a good team.  We have talent.   

Letsroll1200

You're spot on! When Arkansas gets production from the 4 spot its usually a win. I think you have to plsy Hall some at the 4 spot with Gafford. Hall is the best 3 and 4 on the team.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mike put Macon back in the starting line up and putting Hall at the 4.

rmcchris

You sound like a person that knows basketball. I'm not one of the negative people you mention.  I do complain about poor coaching and basketball. Come on man you can't say our defense is good or half court offensive sets most of the time are good. Rebounding?  I agree we need a four but we need a few other things as well. On the defensive side how many times have you seen this:  high pick and we ALWAYS switch. Our big now on their guard. He blows by him kicks for a three or dishes for a dunk or heck just takes it to the rack. Or we attempt to trap and they kick it to the wing or corner for a wide open three. Come on man! Do you watch the same games I do?

Hoggish1

Mike is what his record says he is.  He will either be 16-7 or 15-8 after LSU today.  We got blown out by LSU in our house...  Let that sink in.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 03, 2018, 12:36:46 pm
Mike is what his record says he is.  He will either be 16-7 or 15-8 after LSU today.  We got blown out by LSU in our house...  Let that sink in.

That bad Oklahoma State team is beating top 10 Kansas at Kansas. Things happen, teams get hot.

BannerMountainMan

To be honest Dustin thomas was susposed to be a stud and didn't pan out..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=17ScirVlzHk
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Piglet

Bottom line - It's not the system or even the coaching.  Just like football, its the Jimmys and Joes.  Every great team has to have at least a couple of future NBA players, good role players, and a strong bench.  A few elite teams can put this lineup together almost every year.  Most teams are continually playing with weaknesses they have to cover up.  Arkansas is among the latter, but in my opinion have been building toward a more talented team since Mike took over.  We may never reach the elite status, but I am enjoying being at least competitive again.
Treasure your ignorance.  Once it is lost you can never get it back.

okrazorback

Quote from: East TN HAWG on February 03, 2018, 12:18:58 pm
I think your off.  We could have Corliss, and we would not be any better.  Thompson/Gafford together is strong. The problem is the lack of defense, and the one-on-one offensive sets.  A stud four would never see the ball unless he rebounded it.

When this team plays like a team on both ends of the court, we will be a good team.  We have talent.

If we had Corliss and Nolan we would be better.

The_Iceman

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 03, 2018, 01:10:52 pm

That doesn't even look like the same player. What in the hell happened to him?

PharmacistHog

I thought bobby would have graduated last year?
Quote from: HogPharmer on December 27, 2018, 09:45:23 am
Millennials suck...

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm
Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.

TheRazorback500

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 03, 2018, 01:29:34 pm
That doesn't even look like the same player. What in the hell happened to him?
He's inconsistent, for one thing. Darn near gets a double double against OSU then barely scratches against the Aggies. I wish he'd bring it every night.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on February 03, 2018, 01:10:52 pm

Dustin Thomas was maybe a 2 or 3-star guy who went to Colorado. Pretty good player, makes a nice role player.
But there is nothing that ever suggested he was going to be a 'stud'.

You can take a guy's recruiting ranking and look at his offer sheet and accurately determine a player's ability with 90% accuracy. Thomas wasn't highly ranked, nor highly recruited.

So no, I didn't expect much more from him than what he has given. He has played up to my expectations. He's had some nice games.

hobhog

Winning cures everything. The inconsistency last 7 years is what is wearing people down.

Pointing out that good teams lose every once in awhile to bad teams means nothing-  We ARE that team that occasionally beats good teams during average years.

RedBird5

[/quote

That's a lot of posts for a "couple months"...😉

HognotinMemphis

Not a valid excuse. This happens to many programs every year.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ParkerSchnabel

Well said. Honestly, I think we might have done something along those lines, had we not lost an important piece coming into the season. But a bad heart isn't something to take a chance with.

upperdeck_hawg

If Corliss still had eligibility
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

ParkerSchnabel

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 03, 2018, 02:17:26 pm
Not a valid excuse. This happens to many programs every year.

As of right now this team is "in" the tournament. Nobody is making excuses. If it wasn't for crappy fans there would be no need to "explain" anything to the know it all's who don't know the first thing about basketball.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on February 03, 2018, 02:22:46 pm
As of right now this team is "in" the tournament. Nobody is making excuses. If it wasn't for crappy fans there would be no need to "explain" anything to the know it all's who don't know the first thing about basketball.
What about now, 4 hours after your comment? Still "in"? I do not think it is.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.