Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Saline River

Started by LSUFan, January 18, 2017, 01:46:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LSUFan

Anybody got any stories?

Under the Saline River bridge is the first time I ever seen a grown man punch a toddler, I thought they were filming a Jerry Springer show, but no, maybe.

I know you can walk up the West side of the river - south about 1/2 a mile and load a stringer with black bass in early spring.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

BDSCT51

Many years ago a now "prominent" central Arkansas lawyer that was/is a best friend and high school (Benton) classmate took a springtime canoe outing. He wasn't much for fishing and I wasn't much for shooting so I brought the fishing stuff and he brought the weapons.

Mistake 1: He volunteered to sit in the back and was content to watch me fish, drink beer, and keep us generally pointed downriver.
Mistake 2: I thought this was a genuinely good idea.

About two hours in and downstream from Steel Bridge we pass under a very large fallen tree that essentially spanned a narrow part. I ducked my head and was on the other side of the tree as the canoe came to a quick stop. I saw "the lawyer" raise up his 22 rifle that had rat shot loaded pointed in the vicinity of my face from the back of the canoe. The serious look on his face told me that he was indeed, going to pull the trigger and quick. I bailed into the river as several shots rang out peppering my seat with rat shot, but more importantly the beer I had left behind still on the forward seat! As I managed to mutter numerous profanity laced sentences in his direction about WTH he was trying to do, all he said was 'Well, I think I killed that water moccasin that was on that tree".

I let forth more colorful US Navy descriptive adjectives in his direction and all of a sudden realized I was in the water with a pissed off snake that may or may not have been dead. I scrambled back into the canoe quickly. I still can't believe that SOB shot my beer to this day!

Very fond memories of the Saline River indeed!
Bleeding Razorback Red

LSUFan

Quote from: BDSCT51 on January 18, 2017, 11:20:32 am
Many years ago a now "prominent" central Arkansas lawyer that was/is a best friend and high school (Benton) classmate took a springtime canoe outing. He wasn't much for fishing and I wasn't much for shooting so I brought the fishing stuff and he brought the weapons.

Mistake 1: He volunteered to sit in the back and was content to watch me fish, drink beer, and keep us generally pointed downriver.
Mistake 2: I thought this was a genuinely good idea.

About two hours in and downstream from Steel Bridge we pass under a very large fallen tree that essentially spanned a narrow part. I ducked my head and was on the other side of the tree as the canoe came to a quick stop. I saw "the lawyer" raise up his 22 rifle that had rat shot loaded pointed in the vicinity of my face from the back of the canoe. The serious look on his face told me that he was indeed, going to pull the trigger and quick. I bailed into the river as several shots rang out peppering my seat with rat shot, but more importantly the beer I had left behind still on the forward seat! As I managed to mutter numerous profanity laced sentences in his direction about WTH he was trying to do, all he said was 'Well, I think I killed that water moccasin that was on that tree".

I let forth more colorful US Navy descriptive adjectives in his direction and all of a sudden realized I was in the water with a pissed off snake that may or may not have been dead. I scrambled back into the canoe quickly. I still can't believe that SOB shot my beer to this day!

Very fond memories of the Saline River indeed!
You, sir, should write a book.

pigture perfect

January 19, 2017, 01:30:40 am #4 Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:54:15 pm by pigture perfect
My son and I went down to Camden to pick up a coyote full body mount. I put him (the coyote) In the back seat of the Expedition and headed north out of Fordyce on hwy 229. The plan was to stop at Fitzhugh Landing between Poyen and Traskwood and fish. When we got there, it was really too crowded with drunks to fish, but we tried anyway. We put 3-4 on the stringer and headed for the car. A rather intoxicated black fella started asking my son if he could have his fish. Scared my son pretty good. He follwed us up to the car, but when I open the back door of the car to put the poles up, he saw that coyote staring him down. He ran all the way to the other side before he even turned around. My son and I laughed all the way back to Haskell, where we lived at the time.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DeltaBoy

Been Squirrel hunting on that river and me and Jeff from Tull always limited out.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LSUFan

Quote from: pigture perfect on January 19, 2017, 01:30:40 am
My son and I went down to Camden to pick up a coyote full body mount. I put him (the coyote) In the back seat of the Expedition and headed north out of Fordyce on hwy 229. The plan was to stop at Firzhugh Landing between Poyen and Traskwood and fish. When we got there, it was really too crowded with drunks to fish, but we tried anyway. We put 3-4 on the stringer and headed for the car. A rather intoxicated black fella started asking my son if he could have his fish. Scared my son pretty good. He follwed us up to the car, but when I open the back door of the car to put the poles up, he saw that coyote staring him down. He ran all the way to the other side before he even turned around. My son and I laughed all the way back to Haskell, where we lived at the time.
Good thang, it wudin no snake! c ;D

Inhogswetrust

I got snake bit while swimming in the Saline River at the old Camp Quapaw boy scout camp 40 years ago.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

Fishing was always good in the Spring for Black Bass and Bream.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

TheRazorback500

Back in the 70s and 80s we floated the lower Saline, in a group of I'd say something around 30-40 boats, passing around fatties and drinking beer-just one big floating party down to the Hwy 82 bridge on the Ouachita. A lot of people I know own camps at Longview.
Do you wanna get Rocked?

str8volfan

I have an outboard motor at the bottom of teh Saline.