Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carpel Tunnel

Started by UhYeaJoe, February 10, 2015, 03:43:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UhYeaJoe

Anyone dealing/dealt with this crap?

Any ideas on treatment besides exercises? Been doing those for a month with no improvement.

Snoutmaster

A surgeon can perform a carpal tunnel release, which will relieve some of the tightness, but not sure if you are to the point of wanting a surgery. 

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002976.htm

DeltaBoy

Surgery helped pair of my friends plus using a specialized mouse pad and keyboard paid helped my wife a ton.l
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Keep doing the exercises and do them exactly as directed.  The number one reason for failure of physical therapy (in my made up mind statistics) is a lack of patient cooperation.

The only way to know if you must have surgery is if you have completed a physical therapy regimen as prescribed and you have no improvement.  Surgery should always be a final option, in my opinion.

I hope your condition improves with the least invasive method.  Good luck, my friend.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

Hogs run wild

I can recommend a surgeon if you ever need it. Takes him 5 - 10 mins literally to fix you up.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

clutch

Quote from: Hogs run wild on February 12, 2015, 07:24:54 pm
I can recommend a surgeon if you ever need it. Takes him 5 - 10 mins literally to fix you up.

How long is the healing process?

Hogs run wild

Quote from: clutch on February 12, 2015, 09:00:11 pm
How long is the healing process?

I couldn't tell you. I do anesthesia and carpal tunnel releases are pretty quick. So, I see the surgery not the recovery side of it. Hopefully someone else can chime in.
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Professor Psychosis

My friend had carpal tunnel surgery.  His recovery seemed to take a couple of months, but I wasn't really around him during that time.  He had the kind where they cut open an incision in the palm.  Apparently there's another type of surgery as well.

I've been fighting it for a few years now.  The main thing that I do is to keep the wrist straight when typing, using the mouse, etc.  I've been wearing a wrist brace at all times during PC/Playstation usage to help with this.  Also been wearing it to bed because your wrist can get bent all kinds of ways while you're sleeping.

Good luck.  At least the surgery won't take long, if any of us end up having to get it.

panhandlepig

I believe the decision to have carpal tunnel surgery depends on how much it is affecting your day to day activities and how significant the impingement is. In my experience, if  it doesn't get better with splints, with PT and other therapies...or if you can't completely change your daily activities, have the surgery.

Have the surgery before you have permanent nerve damage and loss of function and loss of muscle. Do your research, find the best surgeon and do it. Once it gets to a certain point, it won't get better so why wait?

UhYeaJoe

Thanks for the replies. Had a cortisone shot. Only helped some so it looks like it will probably be surgery.

hawgrunner

have a shaking hand on one side but it comes and goes... wonder if that could be the problem...?