Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Name the team that hasn't won a National Championship . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, October 14, 2015, 01:48:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

. . . that will do so in the next 5 years.

This question (among others) was answered by the 8 writers at D!baseball.com.  Surprisingly (to me), only two teams were named by the eight voters.  And neither one was Arkansas.

http://www.d1baseball.com/analysis/top-100-analysis-writers-roundtable/

Personally, I think we're consistently up there as much as anyone.  In the tournament every season and consistently competitive with the top teams in the country.  Came just a hair (and a flawed plate umpire) from the Championship Finals 3 years ago.  I respect several other programs, but don't think any of them have a better chance than we do to break through.

BroyledNutts

I agree with Florida ... I can't understand why it hasn't happened already. Ridiculous recruiting year after year, favorable post-season bracketing almost every year ... yet no trophy.

Louisville is a bit overhyped IMHO. They're good, no doubt - very good...right now. I just don't view them as a National Title team quite yet. I would bet they will continue to get favorable treatment, however, as collegiate baseball media seems determined to create as many ACC powerhouse teams [that can compete nationally every year] as the SEC fields. Miami and North Carolina aren't getting it done right now - so they move Louisville up the pecking order. I'll be interested to see if the Cards can sustain this level of success more than a couple recruiting cycles.

I would've picked Florida State as my other choice ... can't believe in all their glorious history there's no title.

SPAL

I would also put Florida in the category of greatest underachiever. No reason they haven't won a title.

PorkRyan

Louisville was the first team that I thought of before I read the list. 

WizardofhOgZ

November 04, 2015, 02:20:13 pm #4 Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 02:37:05 pm by WizardofhOgZ
I don't disagree with with Florida, nor Louisville, being mentioned.  Just kind of surprised we aren't also.  When I look at the 3 programs and what they've done the last 10-15 years, I don't see that either of those two has anything on us, I guess that's what I'm saying.  And - yes - I know Florida has other-worldly talent year after year.  But we've done pretty well ourselves. 

In comparison to the Gators, we've been to the NCAA tournament every season since DVH has been here, and 4 CWS.  In the same span, the Gators have missed 2 NCAA tournaments, though they have been to the CWS 5 times.  Both have produced one Golden Spikes winner.  Overall, Florida leads the series by a narrow 28-26, though DVH has had a 17-14 record vs. the reptiles.

All in all, pretty dad-gummed even, IMO.