Fall Scrimmage Thread

Started by SPAL, September 05, 2015, 08:36:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SPAL

Probably because his fastball is hitting 87

SPAL

Another K for him. His stuff is nasty. Changes eye level

SPAL

Simms beats out another if hit that was routine to the 1b, and beats the pitcher to the bag. Then steals 2nd after getting caught leaning. Then scores from 2nd on a nice single from scroggins.

Guys, this guy is the speed we been missing. He is the fastest player I've personally seen suit up for us.

SPAL

We need to keep an eye on this scroggins kid. 2-3 by my count with 2 ribs

SPAL

Rodriguez has impressed me the most on the mound. He is making these guys look silly. Keeping batters guessing by changing speeds. His velo isn't good, but his pitch selection is great.

SPAL

By my count, Simms is 3-3 with 2 runs scored, a stolen base, and has yet to hit one out of the infield

SPAL

J rod back out for another inning

SPAL

You guys are going to love Bennighoff. This dude is Charlie Hustle first of all. Everything he hits is solid. He squared everything up. Even his foul balls were rockets. He roped one to first and was robbed by a nice diving play by catron. He dove into first. He was told not to do it again....but the hustle was there.

He is gonna be an average and power guy. And I haven't even mentioned his potential in the field.

SPAL

Catron looking good with the glove

SPAL

Pate struggling to get his curve ball over. Tends to overthrow it and it bounces. When he does start it in the middle of the zone, it breaks off beautifully. It is a solid pitch if he gets it over. Still struggling with his command of his fastball.

SPAL

SPAL

JA has pinpoint location right now.

SPAL

Simms swinging bunt in front of the plate and beats it out again, but they called him out.

flippinhogmana

I think Benninghoff or Simms plays center, the other plays right (depending on arm strength and consistent hitting of course).  boni would figure more for LF.

Who does he heir apparent seem to be for third?
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

SPAL

The cannon on the mound now. Josh Alberius looked really good. May have added a mph to his velo

SPAL

Quote from: flippinhogmana on September 05, 2015, 11:21:50 am
I think Benninghoff or Simms plays center, the other plays right (depending on arm strength and consistent hitting of course).  boni would figure more for LF.

Right now, scroggins. But it is really anybody's guess

SPAL

Don't hit it to jack attack. Nice diving catch in center. Early favorite for fan favorite

SPAL

Cannon looks untouchable. I'm trying not to be overly positive, but he had a nice 123

SPAL

Spanberger is really struggling. Not seeing the ball at all.

SPAL

Scroggins doesn't have the arm that Bobby had. Not even close

flippinhogmana

thanks spal for the thread, to you uca for chipping in too
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

SPAL

flippinhogmana

wasnt the problem with both Chadwick and Sanburn last year location?

SPAL

With Chadwick, he did struggle with location. Sanburn wasn't so much location, as he was didn't have control. I guess you could lump them both together, but not being able to locate and not having control is different to me. Chadwick was around the plate, sanburn wasn't close.

I will write up some notes later.

SPAL

Was told that d. Simms ran a 3.97 h2f today.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Scott7703

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

ucahogfan

SPAL

Campbell- big ole righty with a fastball that touched 91 but was sitting 88-90 most of the time. He was one of the new guys that was able to get his curve ball over for a strike. It is tight with late break. Very slow getting off the mound. Struggled commanding his fastball his first inning but regrouped in his 2nd. When he was down in the zone he can be effective. He got hit hard in that first inning because he was up in the zone too much. Don't expect much from him this year. Maybe a midweek middle reliever.

Hunter Hart- not effective at all. Control was all over the place. Walked the bases loaded twice. Fastball didn't seem overly powerful. Has a nice changeup when he could get it over. Hard to say much cause he was so wild. So bad in one inning, coaches changed sides without finishing the inning.

I'll add some more later

trippigs

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 05, 2015, 11:35:01 am
Scroggins doesn't have the arm that Bobby had. Not even close

Something seemed amiss. I saw him overthrow to first numerous times between innings. His glove looked smooth enough

flippinhogmana

Quote from: trippigs on September 07, 2015, 12:16:24 pm
Something seemed amiss. I saw him overthrow to first numerous times between innings. His glove looked smooth enough

I used to play third mostly and I would sometimes over throw first when the ball took off on me.  I would have somewhat natural movement when I threw hard.  I threw hardest when I rushed it.  As long as I stayed in control I always threw okay, but if I bobbled the ball especially and I thought the play was on me or if I was just trying to be heroic, the ball too often took off on me.  I dont know if that in any way fits the problem with Scroggins, but its one explanation.  It shouldnt be what is troubling him on just simply warming up between innings though.

bulldog04

Quote from: flippinhogmana on September 07, 2015, 01:23:19 pm
I used to play third mostly and I would sometimes over throw first when the ball took off on me.  I would have somewhat natural movement when I threw hard.  I threw hardest when I rushed it.  As long as I stayed in control I always threw okay, but if I bobbled the ball especially and I thought the play was on me or if I was just trying to be heroic, the ball too often took off on me.  I dont know if that in any way fits the problem with Scroggins, but its one explanation.  It shouldnt be what is troubling him on just simply warming up between innings though.
It could be his grip also.  Remember Brian Anderson's throwing woes

flippinhogmana

Quote from: bulldog04 on September 07, 2015, 01:59:03 pm
It could be his grip also.  Remember Brian Anderson's throwing woes

Youre right.  Thats what it was with me.  When I took my time I griped the ball in a two seam manner, when I didnt I either must have gripped it four seamed or whatever causes a knuckle effect.  If Scroggins is throwing it normally sometimes, but over throwing (not wild left or right), I would almost guarantee its grip. 

SPAL

So, you say I'm wrong in saying his arm isn't comparable to wernes because he overthrew first base a couple of times between innings? He has a decent arm, but it isn't close to Bobby.

I actually liked his game a d think he may  do some good things next year but I'm not gonna come on here and get everybody's hopes up by telling them he is as good as Bobby. 

flippinhogmana

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 07, 2015, 05:17:54 pm
So, you say I'm wrong in saying his arm isn't comparable to wernes because he overthrew first base a couple of times between innings? He has a decent arm, but it isn't close to Bobby.

I actually liked his game a d think he may  do some good things next year but I'm not gonna come on here and get everybody's hopes up by telling them he is as good as Bobby.

I think you are relatively safe saying he wasnt anywhere near as good as Bobby.  Since the twenty years before I dont think we have had anyone as good as Wernes, especially the last year, I doubt it will happen this year either.  Not only did Wernes have great arm, he also made great stops with the glove, hit with average, and with power.  I am speaking about his last year primarily on his offense.  Decent glove, decent arm, and decent hitting I think is the very best we need look for this year.

ucahogfan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on September 05, 2015, 11:21:50 am

Can't forget about Shaddy in the OF.  He isn't a C, but his bat will be in the lineup somewhere.  An OF of Bonfield, Benninghoff, and Shaddy can be a very good one.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: mrp on September 07, 2015, 07:11:43 pm
Matt Reynolds really wasn't all that bad. Neither was Zack Cox.

no they were both very serviceable in the field, reynolds I think more than cox, but good hitters, I think in that category, Cox was the better of the two.

SPAL

Instead of writing a bunch of reports on players for 3 or 4 people to read....just ask any questions you may have and I will answer them the best I can.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: ucahogfan on September 07, 2015, 07:04:44 pm
Can't forget about Shaddy in the OF.  He isn't a C, but his bat will be in the lineup somewhere.  An OF of Bonfield, Benninghoff, and Shaddy can be a very good one.

I agree with Shaddy in the batting order most enthusiastically.  Whether its a smorgasboard rotation of c, 1B, dh, or lf, just keep a combination of the best defensive and best hitting at the time outfield on the field and I will be most pleased.

SPAL who else, has impressed at all at third, and who has been the best couple hitters so far, combining power and average.  Finally how does Bonfield look?  I take it we arent going to see either Tacco or McKinney this fall, so tell me who your couple of most impressive pitchers seem to be?

knoxvillehog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 08, 2015, 01:12:03 am
Instead of writing a bunch of reports on players for 3 or 4 people to read....just ask any questions you may have and I will answer them the best I can.

Not that one more person reading adds to the list, but I am reading and greatly appreciate the updates. Please keep them coming as your time allows.

Scott7703

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 08, 2015, 01:12:03 am

Really enjoy the updates. Thanks for all you do!

jry04

Quote from: ucahogfan on September 05, 2015, 10:35:07 am
Interesting to see this alignment in the OF.  With our OF all leaving from last year, all three spots are open.  I think Benninghoff and Bonfield are two guys who will start out there with the third spot being open right now.
According to DVH, Eagan has a spot in the OF.

jry04

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 05, 2015, 11:05:31 am
You guys are going to love Bennighoff. This dude is Charlie Hustle first of all. Everything he hits is solid. He squared everything up. Even his foul balls were rockets. He roped one to first and was robbed by a nice diving play by catron. He dove into first. He was told not to do it again....but the hustle was there.

He is gonna be an average and power guy. And I haven't even mentioned his potential in the field.
Best arm in the OF, too. I have been excited to see him play for a while now.

SPAL

Quote from: flippinhogmana on September 08, 2015, 04:55:57 am
I agree with Shaddy in the batting order most enthusiastically.  Whether its a smorgasboard rotation of c, 1B, dh, or lf, just keep a combination of the best defensive and best hitting at the time outfield on the field and I will be most pleased.

SPAL who else, has impressed at all at third, and who has been the best couple hitters so far, combining power and average.  Finally how does Bonfield look?  I take it we arent going to see either Tacco or McKinney this fall, so tell me who your couple of most impressive pitchers seem to be?

Scroggins has impressed me with the bat. He is patient and gets good balls to hit. and he usually squares them up. Benninghoff is really stroking the baseball. Just hits rockets. He finds gaps and when he finds a glove, it is solid. Bonfield hasn't really stood out to me. That doesn't mean he hasn't lived up to anything, just that he hasn't stood out.

pitching wise, the usual suspects aren't doing much. McKinney is still on crutches. LIke I said previously, I really like Rodriguez. Cannon is the most dominant pitcher right now.

Knot2brite

Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

flippinhogmana

Shaddy or Spanberger, Silky for starters

Big Nasty 34

SPAL

silky has been playing first, but keep in mind that this isn't like football where there is a first team/second team. He isn't going to be the starter there. In fact, I wouldn't take much from fall ball in terms of who is going to start.

Oklahawg

Thanks for the updates, SPAL.

Good to read that there are bodies in the pipeline to keep us humming along.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra