Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 Recruiting and Beyond

Started by ucahogfan, June 28, 2015, 07:35:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

June 28, 2015, 07:35:52 pm Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:48:37 pm by ucahogfan
2016 Commitments
1.  Tyler Benninghoff - 6-4, 180, RHP, Top 100, 9.5, Kansas (HS in Missouri)
2.  Sammy Blair - 5-9, 165, OF, NR, N/A, Texas
3.  Matt Burch - 5-9, 155, SS, NR, N/A, Illinois
4.  Matt Cronin - 5-11, 170, LHP, NR, N/A, Florida
5.  Angus Denton - 6-0, 165, RHP, NR, N/A, Arkansas
6.  Dominic Fletcher - 5-9, 180, OF, Top 100, 10, California
7.  Brenden Heiss - 6-1, 210, RHP, Top 100, N/A, Illinois
8.  Jack Kenley - 6-0, 170, SS, NR, 9, Tennessee
9.  Jacob Kostyshock - 6-4, 160, RHP, NR, N/A, Missouri
10.  Lucas Krull - 6-6, 200, LHP, NR, N/A, Kansas
11.  Evan Lee - 6-0, 160, LHP, NR, N/A, Arkansas
12.  Blake Lillis - 6-3, 175, LHP, NR, N/A, Kansas
13.  Jordan McFarland - 6-4, 220, OF, NR, N/A, Illinois
14.  Ben Rortvedt - 5-10, 185, NR, Top 100, 10, Wisconsin
15.  Cole Stobbe - 6-1, 180, SS, Top 100, 9.5, Nebraska
16.  Jaxon Williams - 5-7, 155, SS, NR, N/A, Texas

2017 Commitments
1.  Kole Ramage - 5-11, 175, OF, NR, N/A, Texas
2.  Cole Turney - 6-0, 175, RHP, NR, N/A, Texas
3.  Evan Hooper - 6-0, 180, OF, NR, N/A, Arkansas
4.  Canaan Smith - 5-10, 200, C, NR, N/A, Texas

ucahogfan

June 28, 2015, 07:39:00 pm #1 Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 09:49:19 pm by ucahogfan
2016 State-by-State Breakdown
Kansas - 3 (2 LHP, 1 RHP)
Illinois - 3 (1 RHP, 1 SS, 1 OF)
Arkansas - 2 (1 LHP, 1 RHP)
Texas - 2 (1 SS, 1 OF)
California - 1 (1 OF)
Florida - 1 (1 LHP)
Missouri - 1 (1 RHP)
Nebraska - 1 (1 SS)
Tennessee - 1 (1 SS)
Wisconsin - 1 (1 C)

2017 State-by-State Breakdown
Texas - 3 (1 RHP, 1 OF, 1 C)
Arkansas - 1 (1 OF)

ucahogfan

Going ahead and starting this new thread for future classes.  We will still keep 2015 specific news in the 2015 thread, but all 2016 news and beyond will be kept in this thread.  There is a lot to update and I'll do my best to get it fully updated over the next couple of days.

ucahogfan

PG National Notes
-  Jordan McFarland is one of the stronger players in his class and put on a show in BP when he timed it right which he didn't do consistently.  Add to that his sub 6.7 60 speed, we are looking at a guy with 10+ HR/10+ SB potential at Arkansas.

-  Cole Stobbe makes consistent solid contact to all fields.  He turned on an inside fastball in the Black v. Gold game for a standup 2B.  In the Black v. Crimson game, Stobbe hit one off the Green Monster (field in Fort Myers is a replica of Fenway) for a 2B.

-  Brenden Heiss worked 91-94 with his fastball and topped out at 95 while showing plenty of life which generated several swings and misses.  He also throws a straight change in the low 80s and an upper 70s curve.  He struck out 5 in his outing.

-  Ben Rortvedt squared up a lot of balls in BP and has a short quick swing.  In the Red v. Royal Game, Rortvedt hit a HR to RCF.  You can see video of that in the other thread.

-  Dominic Fletcher is a high level hitter to go along with his high level defense.  In the Green v. Navy game, he squared one up and lined a single back up the box.

-  Tyler Benninghoff threw 2 innings in Florida, and struck out all 6 hitters he faced.  He worked in the 89-91 range while topping out at 92, but his true difference maker is a hammer in the upper 70s.  He is also an excellent athlete as he ran a 6.83 60.

-  Matt Cronin worked his upper 80s fastball to both sides of the plate and showed a nice 1-7 curve to strike out the side in the first inning he threw.

flippinhogmana

Nice work.  UCA.  Good Report and they sound like they are good material to develop...sounds like a couple might someday stride in similar steps of an AB.  More than a little excited about Heiss, especially if he has good control.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

ucahogfan

Tournament of Stars Notes
-  Dominic Fletcher put up one of the better if not the best BP session out in Cary, NC.  Even with the ball not carrying, he hit the wall in RF a lot.  During the games on Wednesday, he stood out for his defense by making two major league plays in RF.

-  Ben Rortvedt put on a show in Wednesday's game as he was only a HR short of the cycle and drove in 3 runs.

-  Cole Stobbe might have been the most impressive defensive player during the games on Wednesday and once again hit a 2B, this time driving in a run.

USA Baseball 18U ‏@USABaseball18U  · Jun 28 
2015 18U NT Trials Selections (Cont.): Mickey Moniak, Nick Pratto, Nicholas Quintana, Ripken Reyes, Ryan Rolison, Ben Rortvedt ...

USA Baseball 18U ‏@USABaseball18U  · Jun 28 
2015 18U NT Trials Selections (Cont.): Blake Rutherford, Blake Sabol, Alex Speas, Cole Stobbe, Forrest Whitley

USA Baseball 18U ‏@USABaseball18U  · Jun 27 
Cole Stobbe crushes an absolute bomb over the wall in left to lead off the bottom of the sixth. Brave now down one, 4-3. #TOS15

NHSI 2016 ‏@MikeP_NHSI  · Jun 28 
Blooper from @colestobbe falls in, runners at first and second. Ben @rortvedt22 doubles, makes it 2-0 just that quickly.

NHSI 2016 ‏@MikeP_NHSI  · Jun 28 
Sac fly by @colestobbe scores @pedro_pages_17, and Brave leads Stripes 4-1, still batting in second.

USA Baseball 18U ‏@USABaseball18U  · Jun 27 
Third hit of the day for Thomas Dillard is an RBI 1B to tie the game but Pride RF Dominic Fletcher throws a runner out at home on the play

USA Baseball 18U ‏@USABaseball18U  · Jun 25 
Make it a 2-0 lead for Brave as Ben Rortvedt knocks in another run with a double off the wall in right. #TOS15

Hogluvin

June 30, 2015, 02:41:31 pm #6 Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:16:34 pm by Hogluvin
Bryant Arkansas has two Arkansas recruits that performed great in Memphis at the Hagan tourney  this past weekend. Zach Jackson is a 2016 recruit that was hitting 90 and is uncommitted. He is a good sized kid RHP.  Evan Lee who is a LHP that is committed to Arkansas in the 2016 class is bigger than you have him listed. He was low 90's hitting 95 once and has a very good bat. Lee committed last summer and I hope the Hogs get Jackson. They are both very impressive.

PorkRyan

Have the Hogs offered Evan Hooper yet?  2017 kid from Cabot.  92mph from the OF, 6.34 on PBR and 6.57 on PG in the 60, and just had an exit velocity of 97 at the PBR underclass games.  His numbers are off the charts.     

PorkRyan

Quote from: Hogluvin on June 30, 2015, 02:41:31 pm
Bryant Arkansas has two Arkansas recruits that performed great in Memphis at the Hagan tourney  this past weekend. Zach Jackson is a 2016 recruit that was hitting 90 and is uncommitted. He is a good sized kid RHP.  Evan Lee who is a LHP that is committed to Arkansas in the 2016 class is bigger than you have him listed. He was low 90's hitting 95 once and has a very good bat. Lee committed last summer and I hope the Hogs get Jackson. They are both very impressive.

Jackson is the one that had TJ surgery and has bounced back from it pretty quickly, correct?  Where are those two kids playing Summer ball? 

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: PorkRyan on July 01, 2015, 02:00:54 pm
Have the Hogs offered Evan Hooper yet?  2017 kid from Cabot.  92mph from the OF, 6.34 on PBR and 6.57 on PG in the 60, and just had an exit velocity of 97 at the PBR underclass games.  His numbers are off the charts.   

Committed recently!

ucahogfan

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 01, 2015, 04:26:32 pm
Committed recently!
PBR Arkansas ‏@PBR_Arkansas  · 17h17 hours ago 
@evan_hooper congratulations to Evan Hooper for committing to Arkansas, 2017 OF/RHP from Cabot attended both our TPG and underclass games.

PorkRyan

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 01, 2015, 04:26:32 pm
Committed recently!

That takes care of that.  Good for the kid and good for us.  His numbers are impressive. 

ucahogfan

The Hogs picked up the third commitment in the class of 2017 yesterday in Cabot OF Evan Hooper.  He is a plus runner with a best 60 time of 6.34 according to Prep Baseball Report and 6.57 according to Perfect Game.  He picked up an offer from the Hogs last week and committed pretty quickly.

Outside of just his natural plus speed, he looks to be a very good ball player.  He recently participated in the PG Junior National and was named a top prospect.  Here is what PG had to say about him:

Hooper is an outstanding athlete as evidenced by his blazing 6.57 60-yard dash and then showed it off again in the outfield as he topped out at 92 mph with his best throw. With a quick right swing, Hooper generated hard line drive contact with solid and very consistent feel for the barrel.

I would think he profiles as a CF with his speed and has the arm to play a corner OF spot if need be.  He participated in the PBR Arkansas Underclass Games at ASU yesterday and had the best exit velo of anyone at the event as he hit one off the barrel at 97 MPH.

ucahogfan

In other news, Evan Lee participated in the Area Code Games Regional Workout and worked 88-91 and showed off a nice curve and change.  Read more about his outing in the link below:

http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/news/AR/Area-Codes-Regional-Work-Out-0981542367

Scott7703

Arkansas picked up a commitment from 2017 prospect Canaan Smith out of Texas.

ucahogfan

As Scott7703 reported, the Hogs pick up their fourth commitment in the class of 2017 in Rockwall Heath C Canaan Smith.  From his PG profile, he is a LH hitting C just like 2016 commit Ben Rortvedt or current Hog Alex Gosser.

Interesting little tidbit - Smith caught Tyler Ivey at Rockwall Heath.  For those who might remember, Ivey was committed to us for a couple of months before de-committing and signing with Texas A&M where he will be going in the fall.  Ivey is already trying to get him to flip to be an Aggie.

PorkRyan

Looks like OU offered 2018 RHP Connor McCullough out of Maumelle.  The 2018 in state class is going to be loaded. 

Hogluvin

Quote from: PorkRyan on July 01, 2015, 02:02:25 pm
Jackson is the one that had TJ surgery and has bounced back from it pretty quickly, correct?  Where are those two kids playing Summer ball?

Bryant American Legion 18u

PorkRyan

When did Zach Jackson from Bryant commit?  PBR has him listed as an Arkansas commit. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: PorkRyan on July 09, 2015, 02:23:51 pm
When did Zach Jackson from Bryant commit?  PBR has him listed as an Arkansas commit.
Earlier this week.  Has hit 88 this summer, but is only 7 months out from TJ.  I'm not 100% sure with a typical time line, but it seems way too soon for him to be throwing like that.  Will post more info in about a week.

ucahogfan

Hogs picked up a commitment from LR Catholic LHP Dylan Thompson.  He is the 18th player to commit in this class.  Have to think we are almost done except for JUCO players with that class.  Hit 87 earlier this summer at the ACG tryouts.

PorkRyan

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 10, 2015, 07:24:13 pm
Hogs picked up a commitment from LR Catholic LHP Dylan Thompson.  He is the 18th player to commit in this class.  Have to think we are almost done except for JUCO players with that class.  Hit 87 earlier this summer at the ACG tryouts.

I think this is a fantastic pick up. The kid is a pitcher. I watched him dominate a few times this year.  He is a very polished pitcher and I think he could add velocity once he gains some strength.

ucahogfan

Monday will be the announcement of who will be playing in the PG All-American Game in San Diego in August. I think Stobbe and Rortvedt are locks to be in the game, and Fletcher and Benninghoff could be in the game as well.  Think it is typically the top 50 players in the class who are invited to play.

bulldog04

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 11, 2015, 07:46:00 am
Monday will be the announcement of who will be playing in the PG All-American Game in San Diego in August. I think Stobbe and Rortvedt are locks to be in the game, and Fletcher and Benninghoff could be in the game as well.  Think it is typically the top 50 players in the class who are invited to play.
Do you think we can get Stobbe to campus?

ucahogfan

Quote from: bulldog04 on July 11, 2015, 10:54:35 am
Do you think we can get Stobbe to campus?
Way too early to say.  Sure hope we get all of this class.

ucahogfan

Brenden Heiss has been invited to participate in the Under Armour All American Game at Wrigley Field on August 15 I believe.  He is a Chicago area native so he won't have to go too far to play.

ucahogfan

Ben Rortvedt, Cole Stobbe, and Dominic Fletcher will be playing in the PG All American Game in San Diego on August 16.  They will be teammates for the West.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 13, 2015, 03:39:37 pm
Ben Rortvedt, Cole Stobbe, and Dominic Fletcher will be playing in the PG All American Game in San Diego on August 16.  They will be teammates for the West.

Thanks once again and always UCA.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

Arkansas WR

@jacob_nesbit: Extremely blessed to say that I have committed to play baseball for the University of Arkansas!!! 🐗🐗 #WPS http://t.co/JGzsDWa25v

ucahogfan

Quote from: PorkRyan on July 01, 2015, 10:49:28 pm
Looks like OU offered 2018 RHP Connor McCullough out of Maumelle.  The 2018 in state class is going to be loaded.
Committed to OU today.  Why do you say the 2018 in-state class will be loaded?  Just interested to see who is in it.

ucahogfan

2016 Commitments
1.  Tyler Benninghoff - 6-4, 180, RHP, 52, 9.5, Kansas (HS in Missouri)
2.  Sammy Blair - 5-9, 165, OF, 496, N/A, Texas
3.  Matt Burch - 5-9, 155, SS, 500, N/A, Illinois
4.  Matt Cronin - 5-11, 170, LHP, 299, N/A, Florida
5.  Angus Denton - 6-0, 165, RHP, Top 1000, N/A, Arkansas
6.  Dominic Fletcher - 5-9, 180, OF, 49, 10, California
7.  Brenden Heiss - 6-1, 210, RHP, 65, N/A, Illinois
8.  Jack Kenley - 6-0, 170, SS, 500, 9, Tennessee
9.  Jacob Kostyshock - 6-4, 160, RHP, 500, N/A, Missouri
10.  Lucas Krull - 6-6, 200, LHP, 330, N/A, Kansas
11.  Evan Lee - 6-0, 160, LHP, 300s, N/A, Arkansas
12.  Blake Lillis - 6-3, 175, LHP, NR, N/A, Kansas
13.  Jordan McFarland - 6-4, 220, OF, 146, N/A, Illinois
14.  Ben Rortvedt - 5-10, 185, NR, 23, 10, Wisconsin
15.  Cole Stobbe - 6-1, 180, SS, 18, 9.5, Nebraska
16.  Jaxon Williams - 5-7, 155, SS, 164, N/A, Texas
17.  Zach Jackson - 6-0, 225, RHP, NR, N/A, Arkansas
18.  Dylan Thompson - 6-3, 180, LHP, NR, N/A, Arkansas

2017 Commitments
1.  Kole Ramage - 5-11, 175, OF, NR, N/A, Texas
2.  Cole Turney - 6-0, 175, RHP, NR, N/A, Texas
3.  Evan Hooper - 6-0, 180, OF, NR, N/A, Arkansas
4.  Canaan Smith - 5-10, 200, C, NR, N/A, Texas
5.  Jacob Nesbitt - 6-0, 165, SS, NR, N/A, Texas

ucahogfan

2016 State-by-State Breakdown
Kansas - 3 (2 LHP, 1 RHP)
Illinois - 3 (1 RHP, 1 SS, 1 OF)
Arkansas - 4 (2 LHP, 2 RHP)
Texas - 2 (1 SS, 1 OF)
California - 1 (1 OF)
Florida - 1 (1 LHP)
Missouri - 1 (1 RHP)
Nebraska - 1 (1 SS)
Tennessee - 1 (1 SS)
Wisconsin - 1 (1 C)

2017 State-by-State Breakdown
Texas - 4 (1 RHP, 1 OF, 1 C, 1 SS)
Arkansas - 1 (1 OF)

ucahogfan

Time to do some updating on recruiting news:

-  5 commits were named to the PG National Top Prospect List which can be found at the link below:

http://www.perfectgame.org/events/Showcases/TopProspectList.aspx?event=3045

1.  Cole Stobbe - All Stobbe seems to do at every event is perform. He hits the ball hard seemingly every at-bat regardless of the pitching he's facing and is equally clean on defense at three infield positions. He's surprisingly advanced for an Upper Midwest prospect.

2.  Dominic Fletcher - Fletcher continues to amaze with his defensive tools and skills in the outfield, with his arm combining both top of the scale carry and accuracy. His left handed bat has evolved into a solid tool as well.

3.  Ben Rortvedt - Rortvedt stood out both offensively, including hitting a deep home run to right field, and on defense, where his quickness and simple, compact actions make him a high level defender.

4.  Tyler Benninghoff - Benninghoff is three-sport standout who hasn't dedicated as much time to baseball as his physical peers but that's not a problem. His 88-92 mph fastball and very high level curveball make his talent very obvious.

5.  Brenden Heiss - Heiss fits more a reliever's profile at the minute with his high energy crossfire delivery but there is no arguing that the stuff, including a fastball that will reach the mid-90's, is really nasty.

-  Tyler Benninghoff was one of the players to make the notes from the PG 17 World Series as he showed great efficiency throwing just 52 pitches and allowing 1 hit in 5 innings.  Read more about his performance here:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=11573

-  Newest commit Jacob Nesbit was one of the main standouts at Day 6 of the WWBA 16u tourney both in the field and at the plate.  Read more about his performance here:

http://www.perfectgame.org/articles/View.aspx?article=11559

-  Matt Cronin was a standout on Day 6 of the WWBA 17u tourney.  He came on in relief and struggled some with command, but is a deceptive LHP who sits 88-90 and hits 91 with a legit curve when he gets on top of it.  Read more here:

http://www.perfectgame.org/articles/View.aspx?article=11509

-  Read a quick tidbit about Jaxon Williams on Day 4 of the WWBA tourney below:

http://www.perfectgame.org/articles/View.aspx?article=11493

ucahogfan

Evoshield Canes ‏@EvoshieldCanes  · 18h18 hours ago   Goodyear, AZ   
Evoshield canes defeat NorCal baseball 1-0. @TBenninghoff and @mg_cronin combined for a 2 hit shut out

Evoshield Canes ‏@EvoshieldCanes  · Jul 3 
Evoshield defeats gator baseball 5-1 huge pitching performance by @mg_cronin and @TBenninghoff combined 14 k's

Maddhog

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

PorkRyan

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 18, 2015, 12:56:02 pm
Committed to OU today.  Why do you say the 2018 in-state class will be loaded?  Just interested to see who is in it.

It is an incredibly deep class.  Just to give you an idea, McCullough is already committed and he will be a fringe top 10 player in the state for that class

#1 player Kamron Hunt is the first true 5 tool player to come out of Arkansas since I don't know when?  He was injured this season but he is 90+ across the diamond, can run, and has ridiculous power for a 5'11 155 pound SS.  He has been considered the best SS in the country in travel ball the last few years.  If he continues to develop he will be a very high draft pick.

I think Connor Noland, from Greenwood via Reno, NV, is the #2 player.  He is 86 on PG and already rated a 9 and was named to their top prospect list.  He will have his choice of football or baseball at any school he wants to attend.  Vitello is all over him. 

After that you have Jordan Wicks and Evan Hiatt who are both really good young LHP's that are both 81-84.  Shiloh has a power hitting 1b/LHP in Luke Johnson.  Plus there are quite a few other very good players in that class.  I expect there to be more D1's (especially high D1's) from this class than any class in recent memory.

I think DVH needs to change his approach to recruiting younger players.  PG is tracking them earlier and earlier.  My 2020 was invited to Ft Myers for example and now PG offers the PG Super 25 for youth baseball.  MSU has been really recruiting the younger players, now OU and Auburn are following suit.  MSU beat us to the punch on Milligan and now OU has beaten us to McCullough.  I know that Vitello is all over the Noland kid at Greenwood, so we may very well be changing our approach a little.           

ucahogfan

Quote from: PorkRyan on July 18, 2015, 06:21:33 pm
It is an incredibly deep class.  Just to give you an idea, McCullough is already committed and he will be a fringe top 10 player in the state for that class

#1 player Kamron Hunt is the first true 5 tool player to come out of Arkansas since I don't know when?  He was injured this season but he is 90+ across the diamond, can run, and has ridiculous power for a 5'11 155 pound SS.  He has been considered the best SS in the country in travel ball the last few years.  If he continues to develop he will be a very high draft pick.

I think Connor Noland, from Greenwood via Reno, NV, is the #2 player.  He is 86 on PG and already rated a 9 and was named to their top prospect list.  He will have his choice of football or baseball at any school he wants to attend.  Vitello is all over him. 

After that you have Jordan Wicks and Evan Hiatt who are both really good young LHP's that are both 81-84.  Shiloh has a power hitting 1b/LHP in Luke Johnson.  Plus there are quite a few other very good players in that class.  I expect there to be more D1's (especially high D1's) from this class than any class in recent memory.

I think DVH needs to change his approach to recruiting younger players.  PG is tracking them earlier and earlier.  My 2020 was invited to Ft Myers for example and now PG offers the PG Super 25 for youth baseball.  MSU has been really recruiting the younger players, now OU and Auburn are following suit.  MSU beat us to the punch on Milligan and now OU has beaten us to McCullough.  I know that Vitello is all over the Noland kid at Greenwood, so we may very well be changing our approach a little.           
Thank you for the update.

Looking at PBR's rankings for the in-state class, it does look like McCullough is the #7 ranked player and that list didn't include Noland yet who is one guy we have heard a lot about.  Like you said, he is a back end top 10 type player and is already committed to OU.  Shows the depth in the class.

I like how DVH handles his recruiting.  He doesn't seem to offer scholarships too far out.  I don't like offering a 2018 grad right now because they just finished their freshmen year and have three more years in front of them.  They have so much more development in front of them.

Sure, those three schools are doing a good job of recruiting younger players, but can they hold on to them when bigger schools come calling?  If I remember correctly, MSU picked up a commit from Cali RHP Hans Crouse last summer and he is currently the #2 player in the 2017 class right now according to PG.  He has de-committed from MSU and probably has his pick of schools in the country.

I'm sure Milligan has picked up more offers including one from Arkansas, but can MSU hang on to him when Arkansas comes calling or a school of that caliber.  Or does he hit 95 as a LHP and never step foot on campus?

Pig Papi

I completely agree with the depth of the 2018 class.  Hiatt has the chance to be special.  Hunt has all the tools you could want.  Let me also add LHP Kaleb Hill to that mix.  He is a tall, lanky LH power arm with tremendous upside.

These 3 kids, along with some good 2019 kids, are the core of an extremely success travel team on the national level.

I agree there is a long way to go with these guys, but the young talent is there (and yes OU has already sent coaches to watch them play).

PorkRyan

I'm not worried about Milligan because I doubt he makes it to campus.  I don't want us offering kids in the 9th grade, but I do think the recruiting process needs to start then.

ucahogfan

David Rawnsley of PG touts PG All-American Dominic Fletcher as the best defensive OF in the 2016 class in the Day 3 notes of the PG 17u World Series:

http://www.perfectgame.org/Articles/View.aspx?article=11592

Fletcher appears to be following the foot steps of his older brother who was a 6th round pick by the Angels this year as a DE Sophomore out of Loyola Marymount.  David was touted as one of the best defensive SSs in college baseball and should stick there in pro ball.

ucahogfan

The Milwaukee Brewers have announced their Area Code Games team.  The Brewers select from the elite players in So Cal.  Dominic Fletcher made the roster which can be seen below:

http://www.studentsports.com/baseball/2015/07/16/2015-milwaukee-brewers-area-code-roster/

ucahogfan

ucahogfan

ucahogfan

AStateNation ‏@AStateNation  · 2h2 hours ago 
Star City trifecta complete. C Austin Powell commits to Arkansas State. Joins teammates Blake Wynn and Garry Hill.  @ASTATEBaseball

Arkansas had recruited Powell at one time, but it appears we stopped recruiting him about the time Ben Rortvedt committed last summer.  With how much Rortvedt has broken out over the last year, we might need to get a backup unless he is just dead set on coming to school.

PorkRyan

Cole Stobbe made the 28 man roster for the 18u Team USA.  I'm not sure if that is the final cut or not.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most kids that make that get drafted in the first 3 rounds. 

ucahogfan

Quote from: PorkRyan on July 25, 2015, 10:13:08 am
Cole Stobbe made the 28 man roster for the 18u Team USA.  I'm not sure if that is the final cut or not.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most kids that make that get drafted in the first 3 rounds.
Again, it all comes down to signability.  Two of our top returning pitchers made the final 18U Team USA roster their senior season in Big Taco and McKinney.  Stobbe definitely appears to be top 3 round talent if not higher, but if he wants top 10 overall money, he probably falls outside the top 10 rounds.

It also depends on how a team uses their bonus pool.  For example, the DBacks had the #1 overall pick this year which had a slot value of over 8.6M and signed Swanson to a 6.5M dollar deal which the DBacks would have had a good idea about when they drafted him.  That was a savings of over 2M and the DBacks signed their 12th round pick to an overslot deal of like 300K or so, but they left 1.8M in pool money on the table.  Instead of taking high level talents considered tough signs like Donny Everett, they took college players or high school players without a ton of upside.  That is a terrible use of their draft pool and Stewart and La Russa should draw some serious criticism for how they drafted.  They also sold their 2014 1st round pick to the Braves for a backup INF and 10M in savings.

Meanwhile, the Astros had two of the top 5 picks and the largest draft pool of like 18-20M.  They drafted two top 5-10 talents with those picks and about 1.7M which allowed them to sign Daz Cameron to a 4M deal which was over 2M more than his slot at the 37th overall pick.  Cameron was a top 5-10 talent in this draft as well and the Astros come away as the winner of top talent IMO.

I think Team USA also places a value on how they perform at the tryouts.  The best player in the class of 2016 is LHP Jason Groome who sits in the mid 90s with a hammer curve right now and is one of the younger players in his class, but he did not make the 40 man roster.  The team means that the player is one of the most elite in his class, but they also leave some of the top players at home.

flippinhogmana

I would agree with you points.  I would also like to point out that on any of the "all star" teams it is as much subjective judgment and sometimes arbitrary decisions of the coaches who set the roster as it is performance factors and ability.  Such the coaches want to win and to put the best team on the field for the most part.

However if a coach has a player eligible for the team that will be with him next year especially, or someone who has signed with him, or someone he is trying to sign if the team members still aren't signed as in this case, their personal objectives come into play.  Its not 'political' (depending on how you define it) but it isn't pure USA either.

PorkRyan

what's in the water in Owasso?  13 year old from there hit 90 yesterday at the PG World Series.  We faced him last year when he was touching 80 from 50 feet.  I was just hoping no one got hurt.  Probably not much of a reason to even recruit the kid.  With his frame he will probably be touching 100 by 16. 

flippinhogmana

Quote from: PorkRyan on July 26, 2015, 11:38:57 pm
what's in the water in Owasso?  13 year old from there hit 90 yesterday at the PG World Series.  We faced him last year when he was touching 80 from 50 feet.  I was just hoping no one got hurt.  Probably not much of a reason to even recruit the kid.  With his frame he will probably be touching 100 by 16.

got a name? most of the hard throwers from my area come from Bartlesville, Berryhill or Claremore (yeah I know some do from Tulsa too, just teasin)...My son faced a kid that threw about seventy five in sixth grade, but he never threw over eighty after he went to high school.  Some kids have magic arms if you dont kill em too early, most dont though...

PorkRyan

Nate Wohlgemuth.  He was sitting 86-89 at WWBA.  He has an electric arm and a huge frame.  When we were 10s we were waiting to play and he threw a ball from the RF corner on a 210 field all the way home on a line.  One of the craziest things I've ever seen on a youth field.  His velocity has jumped every year.

I've never heard of a kid throwing 90 at that age.  I don't think there is a 2019 kid that throws 90. 

Bundy touched 100 his Senior year and was from Owasso.