Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Former Hogs in Pro Ball

Started by flippinhogmana, June 13, 2015, 12:37:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OnTheHillHogFan

There was a Benny Bomb hit tonight :razorback:
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

JHicks3636

In tonight's game, Benintendi is 1-2, his hit being the above referenced 5th homer of the year. He has also walked 3 times. Wernes is 1-2 and has walked twice. Wernes hitting.343 from the clean-up spot.

flippinhogmana

excellent, thanks guys, 1+ to you both
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

hogfan14

Two more Benny Bombs today...I'd say he's getting used to the wood bat now  :razorback:

flippinhogmana

Quote from: hogfan14 on August 11, 2015, 05:44:46 pm
Two more Benny Bombs today...I'd say he's getting used to the wood bat now  :razorback:

Whatever the cause, Andrew is heating up and I am certain the Sox are liking what they see.  He has gone to third in the league in home runs with his three this week, two from the lead, up to .279 BA (I think thats better than fifty points higher than he got down too) and now up to 15 rbis.  Bobby Wernes was oh for four today, down to 330 again.  Andrew was three for five.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

JHicks3636

Quote from: flippinhogmana on August 11, 2015, 06:08:32 pm
Whatever the cause, Andrew is heating up and I am certain the Sox are liking what they see.  He has gone to third in the league in home runs with his three this week, two from the lead, up to .279 BA (I think thats better than fifty points higher than he got down too) and now up to 15 rbis.  Bobby Wernes was oh for four today, down to 330 again.  Andrew was three for five.
If you can hit .280 with power in the majors, your paycheck will have a lot of 0's following the first number.

flippinhogmana

by Elliott Smith | Staff Writer
Wed, 12 Aug 2015 9:06 PM ET

Rays starter Drew Smyly, who recently completed his fourth rehab start in his recovery from a torn left labrum, will join the team to be evaluated with a look to a return to the rotation, per MLB.com.

Smyly will throw a bullpen session Friday, and if all goes well, he could return to the Rays' rotation on the team's road trip.

"I feel good," Smyly said. "With every rehab start I feel stronger and stronger. I continue to be extremely encouraged by my days in between starts. ... I feel ready to go."

Smyly made just three starts before going on the DL.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB8QFjAAahUKEwiRkqzI1KbHAhVJLIgKHdCWAIw&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffantasynews.cbssports.com%2Ffantasybaseball%2Fupdate%2F25268129%2Frays-sp-drew-smyly-shoulder-could-return-to-rotation&ei=K97MVdHQHcnYoATQrYLgCA&usg=AFQjCNFLihqAVtxU0VXCEY49m4mByW3RWg&bvm=bv.99804247,d.cGU

flippinhogmana

Right now the AAA PCL (Pacific Coast League) has five of our guys in it.  Brett Eibner (Omaha, Royals Affiliate), Andy Wilkins and Mike Bolsinger (OKC, Dodgers Affiliate and Matt Reynolds (Vegas, Mets Affiliate), and finally Craig Gentry (Nashville, Oakland Affiliate) .  Bolsinger was sent down to make room for new trade additions and perhaps to either develop another pitch or prove he can be a long reliever.  He rarely has went over five or six innings as a starter in MLB or in the minors, but has a decent ERA even in the majors.  Apparently they just dont trust him to go over two times through the opposing lineup.

Of the three others, Eibner is playing CF, Wilkins 1B, and Reynolds SS, Gentry CF.  Eibner has only one hit in his last four games so his average has dropped 13 pts to .295 (17 hrs, 64 rbis).  Wilkins is hitting in the .270s (16hrs, 54 rbis) and Reynolds is on a major hitting streak right now raising his average about fifty pts to .278 with only five home runs, but also five triples and 25 doubles, and 57 rbis).  Craig Gentry is hitting .238 (hitless in his last five games and has saw his average drop twenty points).

Five players at five different positions (and a batting order of 1,2, 3, and four hitters) would be a pretty decent start for a AAA team!

flippinhogmana

Dallas Keuchel got his fourteenth win tonight and helped Houston stop their losing streak, James McCann (Detroit) was one for four and is hitting .280, Logan Forsyth was oh for four and is now .277 (with TB Rays).  Drew Smyly should get a start next week coming back from shoulder injury if all goes well (TB also).

flippinhogmana

#BennyBaseball Promoted to Single-A Greenville
BY DAVID BEALL
11 hours ago
Walt BeazleyPhoto : Walt Beazley
facebook
twitter
google+
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – After just 35 games with the Lowell Spinners, the Boston Red Sox Class A Short Season affiliate, Andrew Benintendi has been promoted to the Single-A Greenville Drive in Greenville, South Carolina.

The former Arkansas outfielder hit .290 for the Spinners, launching seven home runs with 15 RBI and 19 runs scored. He went 7-for-8 in the stolen base department and added two doubles and three triples.

Benintendi leaves the New York-Penn League as the leader in OPS at .948 and ranks ninth in batting average and second in slugging percentage. Over his last 10 games, he hit .395 with 15 hits, three home runs and five runs scored, while walking six times and stealing two bases.

The Cincinnati native will join former Arkansas teammates Michael Gunn and Jalen Beeks with the Greenville Drive.

Benintendi was the seventh overall pick in the 2015 MLB Draft and captured four National Player of the Year awards, including the prestigious Golden Spikes Award and the Dick Howser Trophy.

For more information on Arkansas baseball, follow @RazorbackBSB on Twitter.

jbell96

JHicks3636

With Benintendi's promotion to Greenville, he joins Michael Gunn on that roster. Gunn is having a tough year as he is 0-3 with a 6.18 era.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: JHicks3636 on August 18, 2015, 08:10:19 pm
With Benintendi's promotion to Greenville, he joins Michael Gunn on that roster. Gunn is having a tough year as he is 0-3 with a 6.18 era.

Jalen Beeks too. Though I think he is doing fairly well.

flippinhogmana

its been probably ten days since I checked but at the time Jalen was 9-4.

dotnet

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on August 18, 2015, 08:28:34 pm
Jalen Beeks too. Though I think he is doing fairly well.

Yeah, but he definitely isn't old for that level though.  They probably give him one more year, but if his next year is similar to this one they may think about seeing if he can gain a few mph's out of the pen. 

Big Nasty 34

I believe Benny hit 2 bombs today or last night maybe. Looks like he's adjusting well!

flippinhogmana

Yep, Beni was 2 for 4 with 3 rbi (2HRs) raised his AVG to .250

jbell96

Zack Cox recently got promoted to New Orleans, the Marlins AAA affiliate.

yraciv

Quote from: jbell96 on August 21, 2015, 02:39:03 pm
Zack Cox recently got promoted to New Orleans, the Marlins AAA affiliate.

I don't really understand or agree with the handling of Zack Cox by the Marlins.  He was playing in AAA for the Cards when he got sent there in 2012 and they sent him to AA.  Then he spent 2013 practically all season in AA, 5 AAA AB.  2014 rolls around and he starts in AAA putting up solid numbers batting .280, .780 OPS on the season.  What does that get him?  Sent back to AA this year where he proceeds to bat .321 with an .815 OPS.  He is 26 at this point, so I really don't understand what is with all their back and forth.  I understand he has no pop and doesn't hit for contact quite like was expected, but his bouncing around has been odd.  He is at least a AAA level ballplayer, and knowing the lack of depth in the Marlins farm system, I feel he could be deserving of a September callup.

flippinhogmana

Drew Smyly is back with TB on active duty.  He went 5 and two thirds, scattered seven hits but gave up no runs.  Logan Forsythe contributed to the win with the first run scored even though he didnt get a hit on the night.  He is hittting .279 now.

Although Zach Cox was relegated to AA this year he was stroking the ball.  As I recall he was hitting third in the league last week.

Brett Eibner got up to 306 and then had a mini slump.  He came out of that over a three game stretch in which he had seven hits including his 19th homer, then promptly injured himself and is now on the 7day disabled list.  Of the five in the PCL (pacific coast league) with Eibner, Bolsinger had a good outing last time out went seven, gave up one run but lost as his team eventually lost 2-0.

Matt Reynolds (playing ss with LV) is still hitting about the same, mid 270s, mainly doubles power, 59 rbis;
Andy wilkins (OKC, 1st) is hitting in the two fifty range but is having a good rbi season (with 17 hrs and 61 rbis, so far);
Craig Gentry (Nashville, OF) is hitting in the 230s, but does rank in the top ten in the league in stolen bases, and his obs is well into the 300s since he has a lot of walks.

flippinhogmana

michael gunn no longer appears on the greenville roster, it may be that he was released to make room for Andrew.  Jalen Beeks is also on the roster but currently on the 7 day DL.

Wernes is still hitting in the 330s-340s up and down, not much power (four doubles), but hey I'd take that any day on my roster with his defense.

Spoon was transferred to Lowell but his listed as an outfielder not as a catcher.  He played LF last game.  He is hitting .200 so far in two games, one rbi and got picked off first base.

The AA Eastern League appears to appeal to Dominic Ficocello.  He has raised his average to almost 300 and is bringing in the rbis also.  He is hitting fifty, playing 1B and playing for the Erie Seawolves.

yraciv

Quote from: flippinhogmana on August 22, 2015, 12:39:33 am
michael gunn no longer appears on the greenville roster, it may be that he was released to make room for Andrew.  Jalen Beeks is also on the roster but currently on the 7 day DL.

Wernes is still hitting in the 330s-340s up and down, not much power (four doubles), but hey I'd take that any day on my roster with his defense.

Spoon was transferred to Lowell but his listed as an outfielder not as a catcher.  He played LF last game.  He is hitting .200 so far in two games, one rbi and got picked off first base.

The AA Eastern League appears to appeal to Dominic Ficocello.  He has raised his average to almost 300 and is bringing in the rbis also.  He is hitting fifty, playing 1B and playing for the Erie Seawolves.

Gunn wasn't released. He was demoted to Lowell when Beni was called up.

flippinhogmana

Thanks yraciv, should have picked that up when I went to look for spoon.

JHicks3636

Beeks must have come off the DL as he took the loss today for Greenville. He gave up 5 runs in 5 innings. Now 9-5 on the season with a 4.04 era. Benny was 1-4 today. Wernes also 1-4 today. On a side note, Benny and Wernes are both batting in the clean-up slot for their teams.

flippinhogmana

yeah I saw that beeks took the loss.  Logan Forsythe hit his 14th dinger tonight for TB is as yet a losing cause. 

89ALUM

DJ Baxendale got the win on Friday night against Pensacola, went 5IP but got some run support.  His ERA is now below 4.00, and his record is 3-3.

Meanwhile, Dominic Ficociello went 4 for 5 with 3 RBI to destroy Akron last night.  He is positively raking, and as bad as Detroit's farm system is, he might be getting called up to Toledo soon.  I'd drive an hour to see him, for sure.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20150822&content_id=144792452&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t106&sid=t106
I'm in shape.  Round is a shape.

"That's what." - she

jbell96

Quote from: 89ALUM on August 23, 2015, 12:47:28 pm
DJ Baxendale got the win on Friday night against Pensacola, went 5IP but got some run support.  His ERA is now below 4.00, and his record is 3-3.

Meanwhile, Dominic Ficociello went 4 for 5 with 3 RBI to destroy Akron last night.  He is positively raking, and as bad as Detroit's farm system is, he might be getting called up to Toledo soon.  I'd drive an hour to see him, for sure.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20150822&content_id=144792452&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t106&sid=t106

Bax is 3-3 in his last 10 appearances, he's 6-4 with a 3.77 ERA on the season.

flippinhogmana

Two hogs of note this week-Craig Gentry has been raking this week in the last three games he was like 10 for 13.  He had been tanking but he raised his average back up to near .250  (Triple AAA Nashville, Oakland Affiliate)

Ryne Stanek (Red Sox AA affiliate if memory serves) has been working medium relieve of late (last 8 games or so) two he didnt to so well, but the other he work up to a couple inning with no runs earned, has a mid three ERA for the year. 

bulldog04

Quote from: flippinhogmana on August 25, 2015, 05:20:36 pm
Two hogs of note this week-Craig Gentry has been raking this week in the last three games he was like 10 for 13.  He had been tanking but he raised his average back up to near .250  (Triple AAA Nashville, Oakland Affiliate)

Ryne Stanek (Red Sox AA affiliate if memory serves) has been working medium relieve of late (last 8 games or so) two he didnt to so well, but the other he work up to a couple inning with no runs earned, has a mid three ERA for the year.
Stank is in the Devil Rays organization

bulldog04

Suggs had TJ 4 weeks ago.  I don't if it's been discussed but just letting everyone know

bulldog04

Fico hit two homers last night

flippinhogmana

excellent, bd.  Thanks for the info.  Drew Smyly pitched again last night (I think it was last night), gave up three runs in 4.1 innings and didnt factor in the decision.  But Logan Forsythe hit his 15 homer in his support. 

Brett Eibner is off the dl and has hit another homer (17 I think, 72 RBIs), raised his average to 307 for the Omaha club

Craig Gentry as I mentioned has been on a tear and raised his average to .250 for the Nashville club (also four rbis in that stretch, he was 11 for 23 I think).

Bonsinger has had a couple of bad outings but mostly decent.  One start the other being used in long relief.  Sorry to hear about Suggs.

JHicks3636

Benintendi 2-6 tonight including a 3 run dinger. His 3rd homer since being promoted. Hitting .333.
Wernes 2-3 and walked 2 times. Also 3 rbis. Hitting .340

flippinhogmana

Mike Bolsinger gets the start goes 7 no runs lowers era to 2.31 (3-3) was also 1-3 with the bat in the game;
Brett Eibner was 3/4 in his last game to raise his average to .309 (still 19 Hrs, 72 RBIs);
Craig Gentry still hitting decently (1/4 in both of his last to games) after raising his average to .249;
Andy Wilkins sliding some, .250 no more rbis or hrs.
Matt Reynolds as as Wilkins except has slid to .269

You've got an update on Wernes and Beni

Jalen Beeks, Beni's teammate at Greenville has had two rough outings in a row, his record is 9-5 even though his ERA is higher;

Spoon still not hitting much in A baseball short season (Lowell).  No longer experimenting with catching apparently.

flippinhogmana

Jackson Lowery is 0-1 but with a respectible era in the 3s, Trey Killian is 1-4 and getting pretty well shelled every outing with an era over nine.
Dominic Ficicello is batting right at .300 with decent rbis, 8hrs, but nearly a hundred ks;

chris Oliver is so so, as is barrett astin, and nolan sanburn; same thing pretty much for bj Baxendale;likewise Ryne Stanek, and Trent Daniel.  All these guys have good games followed by not so good games.  Some of them like Stanek, Daniel and Oliver show some signs maybe more than others.  Some are in A,
Advanced A and some in AA, its a grind for them all.

I really hope Trey Killian's pitching this year is simply a result of a tired arm and nothing more.  He deserves better.

89ALUM

Quote from: flippinhogmana on August 29, 2015, 11:51:17 pm

I really hope Trey Killian's pitching this year is simply a result of a tired arm and nothing more.  He deserves better.

Grand Junction is a tough place to pitch and as long as Trey is in the Rockies farm system, he's going to have throw a lot of low strikes and keep the ball down.  If you look at the rest of their pitchers, most of their starters are pretty awful.  Maybe they need to fire their pitching coach at that level, Ryan Kibler.  Most of their current starters have ERAs over six, and their WHIP's are more than 1.5.  You've also hit the nail on the head - Trey has thrown a lot of pitches this year already.  Maybe its time to shut him down, although the Grand Junction team only has 10 games left.  Perhaps Trey can get a couple of more starts in before the end of the year and show some improvement.

In other news, Zack Cox has been promoted to New Orleans.  Off to a rough start on the BA, but did slug a HR a little over a week ago.  Let's hope he sticks there and heats up.  That being said, there are at least five guys ahead of him in Miami that play some 3B, and Zack's not even on the 40-man roster.  He may always bounce between AAA and AA for the next few years until the logjam clears in front of him. At age 26, there needs to be some positive development in the next year or two or it doesn't look good for Zack.

"That's what." - she

flippinhogmana

Thanks for the info on Zach, Alum!  1+ to you for that, your other timely contributions, etc.  Also thanks for the info on the Rockies system and what both Zach and Trey face.  You wonder what it takes to break through sometimes.  You have a guy like Dallas Keuchel who is from here in Tulsa who I have always been only sort of moderately impressed with and that mainly because he was always a battlered, not because I felt he always had all that much talent.  but he makes an adjustment or two and goes from being on the verge of being cut to being the staff ace and an allstar in short order.

You have a guy like Piscotty in the cardinals organization AAA who is talented yes, but he is hitting mid .270s, having a decent year and he gets called up, get a chance with injuries to play a lot and thirty five games later is hitting 330s-340s all during that time.  Hitting with doubles, triples and even home run power.  has about 25 rbis now.  He has been, imho, St. Louis most consistent hitter over that time and maybe even (outside of Yadi and Carpenter) their most valuable player.  It just goes to show you have to stay ready and some people get a break, some never do.  But you have to be ready and sometimes you make the break like Dallas did.

jbell96

Quote from: flippinhogmana on August 30, 2015, 11:42:00 am
Thanks for the info on Zach, Alum!  1+ to you for that, your other timely contributions, etc.  Also thanks for the info on the Rockies system and what both Zach and Trey face.  You wonder what it takes to break through sometimes.  You have a guy like Dallas Keuchel who is from here in Tulsa who I have always been only sort of moderately impressed with and that mainly because he was always a battlered, not because I felt he always had all that much talent.  but he makes an adjustment or two and goes from being on the verge of being cut to being the staff ace and an allstar in short order.

You have a guy like Piscotty in the cardinals organization AAA who is talented yes, but he is hitting mid .270s, having a decent year and he gets called up, get a chance with injuries to play a lot and thirty five games later is hitting 330s-340s all during that time.  Hitting with doubles, triples and even home run power.  has about 25 rbis now.  He has been, imho, St. Louis most consistent hitter over that time and maybe even (outside of Yadi and Carpenter) their most valuable player.  It just goes to show you have to stay ready and some people get a break, some never do.  But you have to be ready and sometimes you make the break like Dallas did.

Not sure why you are comparing Cox & Piscotty. Piscotty is one of the Cards top prospects, and was expected to debut sometime this season, while Cox is a mid level prospect for the Marlins. I hope he gets a shot one day in the bigs, but I'm not sure Piscotty's situation is a good one for comparison.

k.c.hawg

In a interview I heard last week with JJ Picollo, Roylas head of player personnel he made it sound like there was a good chance they will clear room on the 40 so Eibner can come up in September and get a taste. They will probably be resting guys a lot unless Toronto continues to cut into their home field throughout. It would be a good chance for them to see him several times. They will have one if not 2 OF positions open next year.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

flippinhogmana

well, bro bell, the reason why you dont see why I was comparing them was that I wasnt.  I was simply saying that sometimes you catch a break, sometimes you dont.  If you do, be ready for it like Piscotty.  It isnt often that a guy comes up to the show even if he is a top prospect and hits sixty points higher in the show that at the AAA level and with as much or more power. 

I also high lighted that some people make their break like Keuchel.  Either way, the point was that you have to make your destiny if you have the slightest chance.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: jbell96 on August 31, 2015, 09:59:59 am
Not sure why you are comparing Cox & Piscotty. Piscotty is one of the Cards top prospects, and was expected to debut sometime this season, while Cox is a mid level prospect for the Marlins. I hope he gets a shot one day in the bigs, but I'm not sure Piscotty's situation is a good one for comparison.

It's a shame Cox is considered a mid level guy now since the Cards drafted him higher than they did Piscotty.

89ALUM

Quote from: flippinhogmana on August 31, 2015, 05:16:37 pm
well, bro bell, the reason why you dont see why I was comparing them was that I wasnt.  I was simply saying that sometimes you catch a break, sometimes you dont.   

I also high lighted that some people make their break like Keuchel.  Either way, the point was that you have to make your destiny if you have the slightest chance.

Exactly right, Flippin.  Cox has had his chances at spring training the last two seasons and really hasn't showed much beyond a decent average with very little pop.  Unlike Piscotti, he's played about to his expected level and no more than that.  Meanwhile guys like Piscotti and Keuchel come up and really seize the opportunity to prove themselves. 

Baseball franchises really don't play favorites - they generally can't afford to.  They are results-oriented businesses and if you don't produce results, you won't advance past the mail room.

"That's what." - she

flippinhogmana

Dallas Keuchel won his 16th tonight going 7 innings with only one earned run:
Logan Forsythe went 3 for 4 tonight to raise his average back to the 280s, with one of the hits a double and another a triple;

flippinhogmana

In the PCL over the last ten games, as per my last report, Bolsinger, and Eibner continue to do workman like production.  Craig Gentry has turned it around compared to the rest of the year.  He is hitting .385 with six rbis over the last ten games.

Reynolds and Wilkins are both in a bit of a slum over that period not producing much.

flippinhogmana

In AA, Southern League action, Zach Cox was leading the league a couple of weeks ago, but he is only hitting in the .110s over the last ten games and has slipped to .321 now.

Dj Baxendale is hitting a rough patch over the last ten too, 4-5 over his last ten games, ERA has climbed to 4.11

Dominic Ficocello is another who is AA (Erie Seawolves of Eastern League) who is have a rough ten days, hitting .184 over that period.  If I am not mistaken he was just about in the lead in his league when the slide began also.

flippinhogmana

In A, Advanced A and below:

Jalen Beeks is 3-1 in his last ten games, but with an ERA over 4;
Beni (andrew benintendi) now on the same team is hitting .333 with nine rbis over the same stretch;
Bobby Wernes is leading the Class A, New York-Penn league despite hitting just .324 over the last ten games.  He has been hitting in the .330 or 340 most of the time up there.  He hasnt hit his power stroke yet, but one thing at a time I guess.

Like I said last time a few days ago, not a lot of good things to report on our pitchers out there still laboring.

Is there some reason why we generally only produce good left handed pitchers?  The best in the pipe line right now would be Beeks (LHP), then there is Lee, Lollar before, Smyly and Keuchel all lefties.  I am trying to think of a good right hander we sent to the pros but if there is one, I can't remember...There is still Chris Oliver and Ryne Stanek, but still a predominance of lefties.

flippinhogmana

I didnt mean to slight Mike Bolsinger too.  Hopefully he rights the ship and is back in no time.

flippinhogmana

Dallas Keuchel for Cy Young article.

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/keuchel0901.jpg

ESPN.com | Why Keuchel Should Win The Cy Young  (article on Razorback.com)

As Dallas Keuchel improved to 12-0 at home last night and won his AL-leading 16th game in another dominant outing, ESPN Stats & Information is taking a closer look at why the former Razorback should be the front runner to with the 2015 Cy Young Award.

Click here to read full article on ESPN.com

flippinhogmana

Sorry sometimes pasting the link works, sometimes it doesnt.  This time it doesnt.  But you can find the article on espn or on our school site and follow the link from there.  Decent article and recognition for Dallas.

flippinhogmana

September 01, 2015, 07:42:05 pm #199 Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 08:57:30 pm by flippinhogmana
Double Hog Alert in Tampa Bay!  Drew Smyly is pitching tonight.  He has gone four, giving up zero runs.  Logan Forsythe is 3 for 3 to help stake his old teammate to a 4-0 lead (and raise his average so far to .286!

James McCann is so far 0-1 but his groundout did give his team a 2-0 lead and his 30th rbi for the year.

Drew was definately on tonight.  He went seven innings, gave up four hits, no runs, struck out 10;  He has had three starts since coming off the DL and has had two of the three go well.  This was a very good outing.  Hope this means he is back completely well.