Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Confirms some of my thoughts all along

Started by SemperHawg, March 24, 2016, 10:10:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperHawg

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/24/report-rams-avoided-hard-knocks-in-2014-by-drafting-michael-sam/

Regardless of what you think personally of him, physically the guy was a tweener coming out and under normal circumstances would have never been drafted.  Too small to play DE, Too slow to play LB, but hey he got drafted and made some money out of the deal so good for him.

bennyl08

There was a politics thread about this. Color me skeptical of the unnamed sources claim to begin with.

Jake Bequette and Chris Smith were both tweeners as well. They both put up better numbers than Sam, but both were drafted higher as well. Sam was Co-Def MVP of the SEC well before there were any politics at play. His combine numbers were pretty bad, but he went from a 4.91 forty to a 4.71 forty at his pro day. Faster track is likely but doesn't come nearly close enough to explaining that large of a difference. If he hadn't pulled a hamstring, presumably several of his other times would have improved as well.

It was well known that his measurables didn't suggest an NFL star. However, it is very common for players like him to be taken late as well. Both players who produced very well in college but don't project well at the NFL and players who have the athleticism to play, but never produced much.

Similarly, I wouldn't be shocked to see that such a story is true. I'm just skeptical that it is.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

SemperHawg

Comparing Sam to Bequette as a tweener is a reach...Michael Sam as a DE measured at 6'2' 260lbs at the combine.  Bequette measured at 6'5' 274lbs.  Chris Smith is much closer to Sam's size but ran a much faster 40 yard dash and shuttle at the combine.  You can be big and slow or small and fast, but small and slow will not get you and NFL contract.

Sam is a Linebacker in size and a DE in speed...does not translate to the NFL.

DeltaBoy

Sam played at the Zoo and he pulled his PR stunt to get drafted to the NFL.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.