Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OT rules in NFL need to be more like college

Started by HawgLife4Eva, January 17, 2016, 12:54:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

spiritof92

"Let the pro game continue to be the inferior product it is" is stating the NFL in general is inferior to NCAA football.  Even if the context you read it in is correct that doesn't make my post off-topic.  If the post I quoted is stating that the NFL is inferior merely because of it's OT then that lends itself to a response. 

I'm just as big an NFL fan as I am a fan of NCAA football. If I'm on an NFL board and someone trashes college football I take up for college ball.  If someone trashes the NFL on a college board I will defend the NFL.  If you're going to make the ludicrous statement that the NFL is inferior based on it's overtime rules then prepare for a retort of "P5 teams playing high school teams" or "128 teams and only a 4 team playoff".

Svrdhd

If we used the NFL OT rules, our Hogs would lose almost every time we didn't win the coin toss.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Dr. Starcs

As Dan Patrick put it today (paraphrasing) "I don't wanna hear about overtime rules until I ever hear the winning team come out and complain about it".

I agree.

bennyl08

Before the NFL slightly modified the rules, the team that won the coin flip won 79% of the games IIRC. Now, that number is around 57% which I just looked up.

So, the new rules have it pretty close to even and not AS big an advantage to win a coin flip.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

justmakeit2thebcs

NFL rules are just fine.  Play defense.  Saying the offense didn't have a chance is BS, they had 60 minutes.  Why not gripe when the other team scores on the last play of the game?  Just give 'em one more chance.  You know why know one gripes? Because the offense had the entire game to score more points.  Not every game has an equal number of possessions, is that fair?  Surprised some don't get on the soapbox for a tie so that life would be fair.

WaltonCollege

I wish college was like NFL actually. if your defense can't hold the offense to 3 points when the game is on the line you deserve to lose any way

Murr

The NFL OT rules are fine and work for that league.

The NCAAF OT rules work great in college.  No need to change it.

When comparing the NFL to college ball, the NFL has a lot more skill/quality throughout its rosters, but in college the games mean a hole lot more.  I used to be a huge NFL fan growing up in the northeast.  College ball didn't interest me that much until I started following a team through its season and realizing that every loss they took knocked them down a notch or two in prestige that season.  In the pros, you could lose two in a row and not worry too much.