Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where does Chip Kelly land?

Started by HawgLife4Eva, December 29, 2015, 08:51:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgLife4Eva

Now that Chip Kelly has been fired by the Eagles, will he be coaching next season and where do you think he will land?

Hopefully no one we play very often.

theFlyingHog

I'm sure there are people at auburn trying to figure out how to get him

NuttinItUp

Some possibilities:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14462640/potential-landing-spots-chip-kelly-nfl

Hopefully not the three SEC West teams (LSU, A&M, & Auburn) as mentioned in that article.

theFlyingHog

Did SCw ever make a permanent hire at HC?

NuttinItUp

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 29, 2015, 08:59:35 pm
They promoted Clay Helton to HC and gave him a five-year contract. Anything is possible, though.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Murr

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 29, 2015, 08:59:35 pm

Interim Coach Clay Helton promoted to HC.

oldman1015

Arkansas, the left lane state.

hvsupastar

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Murr

If I'm CK, I take a year off and see what opens up at the end of next season.  He'll have the pick of the litter.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 29, 2015, 08:55:45 pm
Some possibilities:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14462640/potential-landing-spots-chip-kelly-nfl

Hopefully not the three SEC West teams (LSU, A&M, & Auburn) as mentioned in that article.

I'm not scared of Chip Kelly.  I think his offense works in a finesse world of football like the PAC 12 was during his reign there, but he managed to lose to LSU twice, Auburn, and Stanford was his nemesis for a reason...physical football.  I also think Oregon was doing some shady stuff and the NCAA has looked the other way. 

I didn't read the article, but was Texas mentioned?  That's the first place I would have expected people to point toward.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: Murr on December 29, 2015, 09:04:34 pm
If I'm CK, I take a year off and see what opens up at the end of next season.  He'll have the pick of the litter.

True: if he thinks Strong will be gone after next season, he may hold out for Texas.

Of course, there still could be some good openings this year. Plenty of NFL positions available, and several college ones.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hvsupastar on December 29, 2015, 09:03:38 pm
Tennessee Titans reunion with Mariota

I'm not convinced that what he does will work in the NFL.  At Oregon, he had a similar advantage to us for a few years under Petrino...too many weapons on offense for a defense that wasn't LOADED with talent to defend.  They just overwhelmed everyone with speed and talent on offense.  But...they were exposed on defense frequently, and couldn't play physical when they needed to. 

He will never be able to litter the field with enough offensive players to overwhelm all of the NFL defenses...the players are too good.  There's not enough money to spend all of it on offense and nothing on defense...and win, which is what he would have to try to do.  That's my take on it. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

The_Iceman

Worse case scenario for us, he sits out next year and lands the Auburn job when they fire Gus.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 29, 2015, 09:05:02 pm
I didn't read the article, but was Texas mentioned?

Yes.

NFL teams mentioned were: Tennessee Titans, Cleveland Browns, and Indianapolis Colts
College teams mentioned were: USC Trojans, LSU Tigers, UCLA Bruins, Auburn Tigers, Texas A&M Aggies, and Texas Longhorns

The "wild card" scenario given is that he sits out for a year and joins someone he is friends with like Urban Meyer or Bill Belichick as a consultant and waits to come back.

For the reasoning behind each scenario, you would need to read the article.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 29, 2015, 09:14:13 pm
Yes.

NFL teams mentioned were: Tennessee Titans, Cleveland Browns, and Indianapolis Colts
College teams mentioned were: USC Trojans, LSU Tigers, UCLA Bruins, Auburn Tigers, Texas A&M Aggies, and Texas Longhorns

The "wild card" scenario given is that he sits out for a year and joins someone he is friends with like Urban Meyer or Bill Belichick as a consultant and waits to come back.

For the reasoning behind each scenario, you would need to read the article.

Thanks for the recap.  I guess I wasn't interested enough to read the article.  Still not.  I don't think he's the "mastermind" that some people view him as.  He did the same thing many before him have done, added the HUNH to the recipe, and had guys quick as a whistle at WR, RB, AND QB. 

I could see him never duplicating what he did at Oregon again.  He got out of there when there was a faint odor coming from the program which seemed to subside after he left.  Apparently, he rubbed EVERYONE the wrong way at Philly.     

HawgLife4Eva

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 29, 2015, 09:09:57 pm
Worse case scenario for us, he sits out next year and lands the Auburn job when they fire Gus.

I am just hoping that the rumors of Sumlin to the NFL are wrong. Otherwise Aggies could make a play for him this year.

King Kong

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 29, 2015, 09:09:25 pm
I'm not convinced that what he does will work in the NFL.  At Oregon, he had a similar advantage to us for a few years under Petrino...too many weapons on offense for a defense that wasn't LOADED with talent to defend.  They just overwhelmed everyone with speed and talent on offense.  But...they were exposed on defense frequently, and couldn't play physical when they needed to. 

He will never be able to litter the field with enough offensive players to overwhelm all of the NFL defenses...the players are too good.  There's not enough money to spend all of it on offense and nothing on defense...and win, which is what he would have to try to do.  That's my take on it.

Yet, he has 2 10 win season in 3 years in the NFL. He is a good NFL coach and there aren't a lot of good NFL coaches

His a great college coach and a good NFL coach

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: King Kong on December 29, 2015, 09:36:09 pm
Yet, he has 2 10 win season in 3 years in the NFL. He is a good NFL coach and there aren't a lot of good NFL coaches

Valid points.  No Championships yet, and obviously he's not making friends and influencing people positively across the board.  We'll see what his long term prospects end up looking like.  He may set the world on fire.  Then again..he may just burn bridges.   ;)

Steef

Seems to me, Texas would be the plum job out of those listed.

Recruiting would be crazy good. And less competition in conference.

Hoggish1

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 29, 2015, 08:54:54 pm

Easy.  you just fire the Bus and get him.  done!

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Trystran

Probably stays NFL. Could see Auburn making a run, but with rumors of Jim Mora being high on the Miami Dolphins list, I figure UCLA will make a big play for him with better chances. Hard to see him being anywhere besides the West Coast in college for some reason. Again, I bet he stays in the pros somewhere.

I know I might get ridiculed like crazy, and know it will never happen, but I'd like to see Kentucky throw money at him and get that program relevant. SEC East needs some help to strengthen the conference as a whole. His ego would fit in quite nicely there.

hobhog

His resume does not warrant what he will be hired to do, so I hope he comes to the Sec. But if he does it will be 2017.  He will take the year off....

hog.goblin

Quote from: King Kong on December 29, 2015, 09:36:09 pm

This.  He didn't have his first bad season until he suddenly thought he could GM and make so boneheaded personnel decisions.  If he keeps the team intact he probably wins 10/11 in a weak east.

That being said, he did what he did and screwed up.  His defense isn't going to make 16 games and succeed in the playoffs.

I think he ends up a Titan or a Dolphin.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Just heard he isn't interested in going back to college.

Probably goes to Titans or sits out a year doing either broadcast or ''advisory'' work.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

hogcard1964

SquidBilly

Guaranteed that there are some at Auburn secretly wishing for a loss today against Memphis in their meaningless bowl game.  The Gus bus already has four flat tires, they just want to see him put it in the ditch.  Ironic his career as HC at Auburn will end with less success than the coach he replaced.

longpig

Titans is my guess too, no way he's going back to playing Daddy in college ball.
Don't be scared, be smart.

MuskogeeHogFan

CBS Sports weighs in on Kelly's most likely destinations.

Many expect Kelly, who had a 26-21 record in Philadelphia, to look for another NFL coaching job, but if the NFL teams aren't calling, a return to the college ranks could be a possibility.

When looking at possible destinations for Kelly, it's important to consider what programs could even afford him. Kelly made $6.5 million per year with the Eagles and will command something similar from his next employer -- that would make him the nation's third-highest paid college coach behind Jim Harbaugh and Nick Saban.

There are only a handful of programs that can afford that kind of coaching salary. We'll throw out any school that didn't pay its coach $3.5 million in 2015, and even that might be too low. That leaves about 30 schools that can even think about paying Kelly the money he'll command.

1. Texas
2. Texas A&M
3. Auburn
4. Penn State
5. LSU
6. UCLA

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/25431097/where-chip-kelly-could-land-if-he-decides-to-return-to-college-football
Go Hogs Go!

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: theFlyingHog on December 29, 2015, 08:54:54 pm

^^^^^
This was my thought.  I could see them trying to work a "back room" deal and throw Gus overboard if it works out.  Great recruiting according to the rating services, and his style fits.  Would be instant title contender.

BPsTheMan

The Chip Kelly Speak is circular reasoning.

Everyone is talking about what great program he could/should take over. Why? Because "he's great"? "He's great, so he should take over a great program"?

Alot of folks could take over Southern Cal or Texas and do a great job. How come no one ever wonders aloud how Chip Kelly would do if he took over Purdue or Wake Forest?

Oregon was already good when Kelly got there. He and the Nike gazzillionaire helping him lure great players gave them an upward shot, but the Nike gazzillionaire never gets any of the credit. Only Chip Kelly gets the credit.

Why is that?

Maybe the reason he doesn't want to come back to college ball is he knows he can't cheat. Because he did cheat before.

So the genius can't win at Philadelphia, and refuses to "go back down" to college, so Tennessee Titans become the new Philly?

K

bphi11ips

Sort of like Lou Holtz, Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Supermark101

Come on guys, we all know he will be our O-Line coach next year.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: bphi11ips on December 30, 2015, 07:47:47 am
Sort of like Lou Holtz, Nick Saban and Bobby Petrino.

No

Chip Kelly is no longer a relevant college football topic

He's "too good" for college football, probably because he remembers getting Oregon on probation

If Jewel was "too good for country music", she wouldn't be a relevant country music topic

Hogarusa

He'll have a head coaching gig somewhere in the NFL within 2 weeks.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

RazorWhacker

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on December 30, 2015, 07:42:05 am
The Chip Kelly Speak is circular reasoning.

Everyone is talking about what great program he could/should take over. Why? Because "he's great"? "He's great, so he should take over a great program"?

Alot of folks could take over Southern Cal or Texas and do a great job. How come no one ever wonders aloud how Chip Kelly would do if he took over Purdue or Wake Forest?

Oregon was already good when Kelly got there. He and the Nike gazzillionaire helping him lure great players gave them an upward shot, but the Nike gazzillionaire never gets any of the credit. Only Chip Kelly gets the credit.

Why is that?

Maybe the reason he doesn't want to come back to college ball is he knows he can't cheat. Because he did cheat before.

So the genius can't win at Philadelphia, and refuses to "go back down" to college, so Tennessee Titans become the new Philly?

K

Auburn.

That's a place he could go and cheat again. They aren't scare of NCAA. Of course, that job's not open. Yet.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

King Kong

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Steef on December 29, 2015, 09:52:38 pm
Seems to me, Texas would be the plum job out of those listed.

Recruiting would be crazy good. And less competition in conference.

I agree.

1. Who can afford to pay him what he will want?
2. Who will give him whatever he asks for with the promise of returning them to winning?
3. Where can he go coach where his offensive philosophy is a fit in the conference?
4. Where can he land that has a big enough name to make an impact in recruiting?
5. Where can he land where the first order of business in the conference isn't defense?

I don't think that points back to the Pac 12 and I sure don't think that any of that points to the Big Ten or SEC. Texas seems like a pretty good fit after a year long sabbatical of making the rounds on the sports talk shows.
Go Hogs Go!

southarkhog06

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on December 29, 2015, 09:09:25 pm

Lets just be real here what he does didnt work in the NFL cause the other teams pay their players too.

Tony Perkis

As a Titans fan, I would love Chip to Tennessee. He has had two 10 win seasons in 3 years...we have had two in the last 12... :puke:

Not to mention the obvious reunion with Mariota.

lilRockNDubb

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 30, 2015, 03:29:33 am
Texas A & M. Book it.

They'd have to pay Sumlin $20 mill within 60 days of terminating his contract plus pay Kelly 6-8 mill on top of that.. I'm not reading that book.

But I do bet Georgia and South Carolina AD's are getting ready to jump off a bridge. 

RazrRila99

I can see Cleveland cleaning house and bringing Kelly in.  They already have a Q who can run his offense (Manziel), although if he cant keep his head on straight hes going to flame out very quickly. 

Mick Hogger

Quote from: hogcard1964 on December 30, 2015, 03:29:33 am
Texas A & M. Book it.

Why would anyone want to take a job at A&M with the QB roster they have? 
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.

tusksincolorado

Texas.

They will give up 5 to 10 oil wells, and a 6 mil salary to sign Chip.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: lilRockNDubb on December 30, 2015, 09:15:49 am
They'd have to pay Sumlin $20 mill within 60 days of terminating his contract plus pay Kelly 6-8 mill on top of that.. I'm not reading that book.

But I do bet Georgia and South Carolina AD's are getting ready to jump off a bridge. 

Especially South Carolina!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: RazorWhacker on December 30, 2015, 08:02:58 am
Auburn.

That's a place he could go and cheat again. They aren't scare of NCAA. Of course, that job's not open. Yet.
Excellent point. Would be right at home.

Dugann

Titans I feel is a lock and IMO a better situation then Philly, with the QB he'll have in his system.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!