Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carolina Panthers: perfect storm?

Started by RebelliousHog, December 27, 2015, 01:02:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RebelliousHog

I started thinking about the Pants and their undefeated season( and likely to finish regular season the same way)

Here is the records of the teams they have played, not counting today.
Jacksonville  5-9
Texas          7-7
New Orleans  5-9
Tampa Bay    6-8
Seattle         9-5
Philadelphia   6-9
Indianapolis   6-8
Green Bay     10-4
Tennessee     3-11
Washington    8-7
Dallas            4-10
Atlanta          7-7
New York G    6-8

That's a combined  84-102(check my math-did it in my head)
Of the games they've played  3 were against a team better than .500. THREE.

They had the "perfect storm" of scheduling this year. Playing the NFC south who all suck, the NFC East, who ALSO all suck, and the AFC South who suck too. That's 14 teams who have ONE with a winning record.

I suspect the playoffs against  Seattle again (who are HOT) or the Cards, and maybe GB, if they play well and have everyone back off IR will be different. AND  IF they make the SB they will play  the Pats or  maybe the Bengals if they get Dalton back.

I would be surprised if they win it all.  I, frankly , would be surprised if they get to the SB.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

bennyl08

True, but what happens if Carolina sucked and was 0-14? Then the record of their opponents would be 98-88.

No doubt that they have had a favorable schedule. However, you have to take into account that the teams they played may look bad because they went against a good team. If you remove Carolina's impact from the combined record, you get 84-88. So yes, they are still sub-500 and lucky there but it isn't as bad.

With Carolina's impact you have 8 teams with losing records, 2 teams at 500, and 3 teams with winning records. However, if you replace Carolina with a team that was 0-14, you get 5 teams with losing records, 3 teams at 500, and 5 teams with winning records.

So, to make a short story long, they have had a favorable schedule, but not a perfect storm level of favorability.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RebelliousHog

As it turns out the storm had a lull and they got beat by Atlanta.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

RebelliousHog

You can speculate about what COULD have happened, but the reality is what DID happen. They got the advantage of a really easy schedule. So all the chest pumping  and baby kissing makes them look like asses.

bennyl08

Quote from: HenduHog on December 27, 2015, 03:59:36 pm
You can speculate about what COULD have happened, but the reality is what DID happen. They got the advantage of a really easy schedule. So all the chest pumping  and baby kissing makes them look like asses.

https://www.fantasyindex.com/2015/12/15/scheduletron/updated-strength-of-schedule

Even without factoring out Carolina's impact, their schedule isn't "really easy". Cardinals have had a much easier schedule and the Jets have faced the easiest schedule of them all. Playoff teams with SoS below .500 include GB, Cincy, Carolina, Arizona, and the Jets. Minn and Denver are both at .500.

The only playoff teams with opponents over 500 are Hou/Indy, Seattle, NE, Was, and KC

So, a majority of teams that are going to be in the playoffs had a SoS at or below .500 while a minority are over. So, it is actually perfectly balanced.

Baby kissing makes you look like a (censored)? By that I think you mean handing footballs to kids. Next thing you are going to complain about visiting hospitals as showboating. SMH.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

RebelliousHog

Baby kissing as in pretending to rock a baby and showboating. Giving balls to kids is fine. Acting like an ass is not.

Really and truly the NFL on a whole has all tried to be 8-8 as a league. Outside of the Cards, Pats, Pants,  the whole league has proven the theory of parity.

RebelliousHog

Don't try to lay a guilt trip on me. There's very little i feel guilty about. Ragging Scam Newton certainly won't be one.

If you don't agree,fine. Don't play amateur therapist.

bennyl08

Quote from: HenduHog on December 27, 2015, 05:26:24 pm
Don't try to lay a guilt trip on me. There's very little i feel guilty about. Ragging Scam Newton certainly won't be one.

If you don't agree,fine. Don't play amateur therapist.

Where did anybody play therapist? Simma down. I already said I assumed you were talking about handing the football to kids. Further, why feel the need to post twice? Could you not have simply included that in your earlier post or if you thought of it later, why not simply edit the first post? It is strange to me to make two posts within two minutes referring back to the same post.

To the point though, these are grown men who play a childs game for millions of dollars. Imagine the excitement a kid gets when they get first place in mario kart. Now imagine that that they just won a million dollars for that victory and probably get a 20k bonus every time they hit somebody with a green shell or a banana peel. Each sack you get a bonus for what many full time workers make in a year, people are going to celebrate. The game is supposed to be fun.

DeltaBoy

17-1 and playing in the Super Bowl , so They are doing alright.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bennyl08

Quote from: HenduHog on December 27, 2015, 01:02:55 pm
I suspect the playoffs against  Seattle again (who are HOT) or the Cards, and maybe GB, if they play well and have everyone back off IR will be different. AND  IF they make the SB they will play  the Pats or  maybe the Bengals if they get Dalton back.

I would be surprised if they win it all.  I, frankly , would be surprised if they get to the SB.

They absolutely blew the Cards and the Seahawks out of the water on the way to the Super Bowl. I take it you are surprised.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 25, 2016, 08:19:46 am
17-1 and playing in the Super Bowl , so They are doing alright.
They are paying Cam more than Auburn did...
All Gas, No Brakes!

pigture perfect

These guys remind me of the 85 Bears, without the Super Bowl Shuffle.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 25, 2016, 09:28:10 pm
They absolutely blew the Cards and the Seahawks out of the water on the way to the Super Bowl. I take it you are surprised.

Lol

pigture perfect

The Perfect Storm turned into intermittent showers.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hambunctious

It threatened rain here, but it only turned out to be cloudy, and little windy.  The real weather showed up after the game, and that nasty little cloud that used to follow Eeyore took up residence over Cam.
I don't care if others use my avatar, but don't claim it's yours exclusively.

1highhog

goodguytex

Quote from: 1highhog on February 08, 2016, 05:54:19 am
I loved every minute of it.
So did I. I wanted to hand Scam a box of Kleenex.

DeltaBoy

On paper Cam team should have won but the games are played on the Field and Last Night the Peyton's Team just out played them and took advantage of the Panthers mistakes.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

passinghog

1-53, Denver was the more talented roster. Carolina's D vs. Denver's O (on paper) was more of a contest than Denver's D vs. Carolina's O. Peyton throwing the game away and Cam carrying his offense were the only ways Carolina would have won. If you take Cam out of the equation, Denver's D vs. Carolina's O was a total mismatch on paper alone and that played out in the game. Denver had an all star defense with no weaknesses. They had 8 guys on defense that could start for any team in the NFL.

bennyl08

Quote from: Showtimehog on February 09, 2016, 12:34:53 am
1-53, Denver was the more talented roster. Carolina's D vs. Denver's O (on paper) was more of a contest than Denver's D vs. Carolina's O. Peyton throwing the game away and Cam carrying his offense were the only ways Carolina would have won. If you take Cam out of the equation, Denver's D vs. Carolina's O was a total mismatch on paper alone and that played out in the game. Denver had an all star defense with no weaknesses. They had 8 guys on defense that could start for any team in the NFL.

Yeah, people forget how much the Panthers over achieved this season. Nobody had them pegged to even be a threat in the NFC south after Benji went down for the year. Coming into the season it was Cam, an aging Olsen and Stewart, no OL, A really good front 7 but a patchwork secondary.