Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bo is on edge this afternoon about Razorback basketball.

Started by rzrbkman, January 31, 2018, 02:37:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbkman

One day he let's callers ramble on and the next day he is all over the place responding to his callers.

Torqued pork

labb

It is a radio talk show. He does what it takes to get listeners.

26.2Hog

Quote from: labb on January 31, 2018, 02:57:13 pm

Exactly.  He's not a journalist.  He's in show biz.  He'd cluck like a chicken if it would get more listeners.

rzrbkman

Quote from: labb on January 31, 2018, 02:57:13 pm

If that was the case, then callers like Eddie from Clarksville would not be allowed to ramble on. I did discover a few years ago that on any call in show, a listener can listen to the 1st 5 minutes at the top of any hour and hear any worthwhile news of the day. The rest of the time it is just same junk.

King Kong

DeltaBoy

Michael from Stuttgart just likes to get Bo's Goat.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

ParkerSchnabel

The_Iceman

Mike Irwin was spot on yesterday regarding the basketball team. It was great to listen to.

I also loved when a guy called in and said he watched the game with some high school coaches and they were pointing out how poorly coached we are. It's obvious to everyone except the die hard Mike lovers.

bhogs05

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 01, 2018, 10:21:10 am
Mike Irwin was spot on yesterday regarding the basketball team. It was great to listen to.

I also loved when a guy called in and said he watched the game with some high school coaches and they were pointing out how poorly coached we are. It's obvious to everyone except the die hard Mike lovers.

Hey Iceman could you paraphrase what Mike had to say I didn't get to hear it.

Kevin

the spin did not stop yesterday. mike Irwin actually said, next year's team might be better than this years. said more players that Anderson likes. who the heck recruited this team, I did not know this was Anderson's first year, and he did not sign these guys.

we heard all pre season how Anderson loves this team.

so we are going to replace 6 seniors with 6 freshman, and they are going to be better?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on February 01, 2018, 11:02:21 am
the spin did not stop yesterday. mike Irwin actually said, next year's team might be better than this years. said more players that Anderson likes. who the heck recruited this team, I did not know this was Anderson's first year, and he did not sign these guys.

so we are going to replace 6 seniors with 6 freshman, and they are going to be better?

That been said every year since he got here. That is also another problem with Mike, he has to have very specific players, physically, and he will take those regardless of basketball skill or basketball IQ. He likes guards that are tall AND have exceptionally long arms. He likes 3's and 4's that can run AND have exceptionally long arms. Problem is, often, they cant play SEC basketball. Look at Bailey and Cook, they both fit what Mike likes in the physical attributes, but they just cant play at this level.

It reminds me of Nolan's last few teams, out side of Joe Johnson, his teams were full of athletes that were trying to play basketball, and they routinely lost to teams full of basketball players that were also athletic. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

The current team is a result of years of roster management problems, recruiting misses and players leaving.  Out of 6 seniors, only 2 were signed directly out of high school and both are limited role players.

It's going to continue to be said till it actually happens.  Looking at it optimistically, finally it will be a class without reaches and JC fill-ins.  The taking what the staff can get and trying to plug holes may temporarily be over.  Maybe they are actually going to be able to build something. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on February 01, 2018, 11:38:22 am
The current team is a result of years of roster management problems, recruiting misses and players leaving.  Out of 6 seniors, only 2 were signed directly out of high school and both are limited role players.

It's going to continue to be said till it actually happens.  Looking at it optimistically, finally it will be a class without reaches and JC fill-ins.  The taking what the staff can get and trying to plug holes may temporarily be over.  Maybe they are actually going to be able to build something. 

just don't see this ever happening. plus, if there was holes to fill, this coaching staff caused them.

the amount of bs that is put out there, do prop this guy up is truly incredible.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on February 01, 2018, 11:33:41 am
That been said every year since he got here. That is also another problem with Mike, he has to have very specific players, physically, and he will take those regardless of basketball skill or basketball IQ. He likes guards that are tall AND have exceptionally long arms. He likes 3's and 4's that can run AND have exceptionally long arms. Problem is, often, they cant play SEC basketball. Look at Bailey and Cook, they both fit what Mike likes in the physical attributes, but they just cant play at this level.

It reminds me of Nolan's last few teams, out side of Joe Johnson, his teams were full of athletes that were trying to play basketball, and they routinely lost to teams full of basketball players that were also athletic.

You are wrong in that those teams were not really that athletic either, outside of the guards. Just like Cook and Thomas, who are playing big minutes but are neither good ball players or good athletes.

I agree with Mike Irwin that next years roster will actually fit Mike Anderson better than this years. Phillips (6'6") is a Darius Hall clone. Isaiah Joe has more upside than Macon and is one of the best high school shooters in the country. Henderson and Chaney are way better players and athletes than Cook and Thomas. Embery is a Barford like combo guard that can do it all. And Sills will need some time to develop and needs to focus on his PG skills. Jalen Harris, the transfer, is the first true PG we've had since Durham.

I'm not sure next years team's record will be any better, but I think they will play together better and look more like a TEAM. However, will Mike trending to miss the tournament this year and next year, he should not be around to coach these guys that long..mmif at all!

draftkings33

The_Iceman

As bad as Mike Anderson is as an in-game coach, what kills him is roster management. If he could balance his roster and recruit players that perfectly fit what he wants to do, he'd be more successful. But he ends up with too many players like Thomas and Cook that really don't do anything well. Either get an great athlete (like Ethan Henderson) or get a high skill player (Dusty Hannahs), but don't bring in players that aren't either.

draftkings33

Usually don't agree with a lot Kevin says but I do here.  I don't see how in the world we could be better losing 6 seniors.  That being said I think Mike is the man for the job and is doing a good job.

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

zebradynasty

I agree with most of that because of some recruiting misses MA was forced to get what he could or players that were never intended to be starters.

The_Iceman

Quote from: draftkings33 on February 01, 2018, 12:50:24 pm
Usually don't agree with a lot Kevin says but I do here.  I don't see how in the world we could be better losing 6 seniors.  That being said I think Mike is the man for the job and is doing a good job.

The team will fit what Mike wants to go next year better. Mike's roster management blunders have caused a lot of problems. We will be more athletic in the frontcourt with Gafford, Henderson, Chaney, Bailey, and Osabuohien. All of those guys are great athletes...no more Thompson, Thomas, and Cook.

We will have two true SF's in Cook and Phillips. Just look what Cook's length and athleticism does at the SF for us. It makes up for Mike Anderson's incompetence in coaching rebounding and offensive sets.

Macon and Barford are good scorers, but they can stall out the movement in an offense trying to go one-on-one. In a "motion" offense, you need guys who know how to move without the ball and lead guards who know how to drive and distribute. Our offense works good when those two are making pull-up, step-back threes....but shuts down without it.

The_Iceman

Quote from: zebradynasty on February 01, 2018, 02:47:06 pm
I agree with most of that because of some recruiting misses MA was forced to get what he could or players that were never intended to be starters.

= Poor Roster Management.

Mike Irwin

Actually I said that people who cover recruiting for a living have told me that next year's team might be better than this year's in spite of losing all these seniors. Their reasoning is, this is a team full of guys who don't do well what Anderson wants. They only play defense in short stretches. Their transition game is incredibly sloppy.

Supposedly next year they will have a pair of true point guards and a bunch of guys who naturally play defense well plus some shooters and a true power forward to help Gafford out. Keep in mind I'm not saying this. Guys I work around who cover recruiting are saying it.

Simple observation reveals that this team is devoid of ball handlers. Manny Watkins came on the show that day and when I asked him about this he said that none of the guards are true point guards, not even Beard. It's one of the hardest teams to watch I've ever been around because all they really do well is shoot and drive to the basket and they're extremely inconsistent doing that.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 02, 2018, 02:49:43 pm
Actually I said that people who cover recruiting for a living have told me that next year's team might be better than this year's in spite of losing all these seniors. Their reasoning is, this is a team full of guys who don't do well what Anderson wants. They only play defense in short stretches. Their transition game is incredibly sloppy.

Supposedly next year they will have a pair of true point guards and a bunch of guys who naturally play defense well plus some shooters and a true power forward to help Gafford out. Keep in mind I'm not saying this. Guys I work around who cover recruiting are saying it.

Simple observation reveals that this team is devoid of ball handlers. Manny Watkins came on the show that day and when I asked him about this he said that none of the guards are true point guards, not even Beard. It's one of the hardest teams to watch I've ever been around because all they really do well is shoot and drive to the basket and they're extremely inconsistent doing that.

I can see where they are coming from. Is there a chance this team is sort of like the 2013-2014 team that lost BJ Young (15ppg) and Marshawn Powell (14.5 ppg) and actually improved the next year?

The only reason the 2015-2016 team was any good was because of the emergence of Jabril Durham as a true pass first point guard. If we have one or even two of those next year, we could see the offense score better as a team, instead of individuals. I also think the incoming freshmen are better and more willing defenders than the current seniors.

Will we may play more as a team and be more enjoyable to watch, I am not convinced it will actually lead to more wins. If we miss the NCAA Tournament this year and again next year, Mike has to be fired.

Swinefeld

Oh good god! So a team of transfers that have been here for 2 seasons, and layered with seniors that have been here for 4 years are going to be out performed by the 26th ranked recruiting class?   

batmanfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 02, 2018, 03:08:07 pm
I can see where they are coming from. Is there a chance this team is sort of like the 2013-2014 team that lost BJ Young (15ppg) and Marshawn Powell (14.5 ppg) and actually improved the next year?

The only reason the 2015-2016 team was any good was because of the emergence of Jabril Durham as a true pass first point guard. If we have one or even two of those next year, we could see the offense score better as a team, instead of individuals. I also think the incoming freshmen are better and more willing defenders than the current seniors.

Will we may play more as a team and be more enjoyable to watch, I am not convinced it will actually lead to more wins. If we miss the NCAA Tournament this year and again next year, Mike has to be fired.

I get the point MI is trying to make but we seem to hear this every year. "Mike just doesn't have his players to run what he wants to run". "Next year so and so is coming in and they really fit the bill of what he wants to do". And doot doot doot, seven years have passed.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Swinefeld on February 02, 2018, 03:10:56 pm
Oh good god! So a team of transfers that have been here for 2 seasons, and layered with seniors that have been here for 4 years are going to be out performed by the 26th ranked recruiting class?   

If Garland comes back, which is a big IF, and Gafford doesnt go pro, you would be looking at replacing:

Barford (19ppg)
Macon (17ppg)
Beard (10ppg)
Cook (2ppg)
Thompson (3.5ppg)
Thomas (5ppg)

With:
Jalen Harris (6'2" PG)
Desi Sills  (6'2" CG)
Keyshawn Embery  (6'3" CG)
Isaiah Joe (6'4" SG)
Khalil Garland  (6'5" CG)
Jordan Phillips (6'6" SF)
Reggie Chaney (6'8" 230lb PF)
Ethan Henderson  (6'8" F/C)

Like I said, I think next year's team's could play better together and be better defensively, but due to youth and new pieces, they won't have a better record.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 01, 2018, 12:49:48 pm
As bad as Mike Anderson is as an in-game coach, what kills him is roster management. If he could balance his roster and recruit players that perfectly fit what he wants to do, he'd be more successful. But he ends up with too many players like Thomas and Cook that really don't do anything well. Either get an great athlete (like Ethan Henderson) or get a high skill player (Dusty Hannahs), but don't bring in players that aren't either.

Iceman,   I couldn't agree more with you on your assessment of Mike's recruitment of Thomas, Cook, Thompson plus others who come up there and do not add to the team either in ability or skill. 

Also,  I wish I could get into Mike's head to sign more physical athletic Big Men.   

The_Iceman

Quote from: batmanfan on February 02, 2018, 03:27:27 pm
I get the point MI is trying to make but we seem to hear this every year. "Mike just doesn't have his players to run what he wants to run". "Next year so and so is coming in and they really fit the bill of what he wants to do". And doot doot doot, seven years have passed.

Mike has to win games in the off-season with his roster management and recruiting. If he is getting the wrong players on his roster that don't fit, he is going to lose games. He isn't going to win games by out coaching, but what he does is allow talented players to get on the floor and display their talent. If he isn't getting the right players with the right talent, then the team will struggle. Mike doesn't adapt to what he has on his roster.

batmanfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 02, 2018, 03:41:12 pm
Mike has to win games in the off-season with his roster management and recruiting. If he is getting the wrong players on his roster that don't fit, he is going to lose games. He isn't going to win games by out coaching, but what he does is allow talented players to get on the floor and display their talent. If he isn't getting the right players with the right talent, then the team will struggle. Mike doesn't adapt to what he has on his roster.

I agree
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

Rbill

I completely agree with all of this. You all know I speak my opinion about Mike and his system and what I perceive to be the issues with this current team. Like Mike Irwin says here, this team is really hard to watch. They play really, really poorly together. But I honestly feel it's going to be addition by subtraction. It might not make sense saying that about so many seniors leaving, but it feels right, because something is really wrong with this team. It's so weird because maybe Macon and Barford could very well shoot us to the sweet 16, but that doesn't mean there isn't something wrong. Because we have a seemingly equal chance of stumbling into the NIT.

Kevin

This is the 7th year. How many do overs does the guy get

This excuses are getting embrassing

Rbill

Quote from: Kevin on February 02, 2018, 09:27:28 pm
This is the 7th year. How many do overs does the guy get

This excuses are getting embrassing

That's not for any of us to decide and not my point. Maybe he'll get fired if we miss the tournament. That's simply not what I'm talking about. My only point is this team has serious leadership problems and can look awful. I think most of the leadership problems are lack of leader on the court. It's probably awkward knowing you don't have any leadership going on but everyone knows who should be the leaders so it'd be awkward for anyone else to try and be a leader.

My point is simply that all signs point to the likelihood that we won't be as visually dysfunctional next year and hopefully we'll have some leaders and pass the ball to each other.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Rbill on February 02, 2018, 09:44:21 pm
That's not for any of us to decide and not my point. Maybe he'll get fired if we miss the tournament. That's simply not what I'm talking about. My only point is this team has serious leadership problems and can look awful. I think most of the leadership problems are lack of leader on the court. It's probably awkward knowing you don't have any leadership going on but everyone knows who should be the leaders so it'd be awkward for anyone else to try and be a leader.

My point is simply that all signs point to the likelihood that we won't be as visually dysfunctional next year and hopefully we'll have some leaders and pass the ball to each other.
And yet this season has seen crowds in size and enthusiasm not experienced since the Nolan days. This team continues to draw well. Fans seen willing to put up with the awkward moments because, at times, these guys do look like a Nolan team. It's during those explosive runs that we are reminded of what a truly remarkable facility BWA is and what great fans this school has given half a reason to be excited.

LA Football fan

Quote from: Rbill on February 02, 2018, 09:44:21 pm

What everyone seems to be counting on is freshman being able to perform at a high level against talent just as good on the other team and also more experienced.   Joe may be a high scoring guard in high school but  the guards in this conference are just as fast and more physical.  That is our problem now in that we continuously get outmuscled inside for rebounds and guards just blow by us on offense.  Chaney is the ONLY player that looks to me to be an SEC ready player as a freshman physically.  Gafford has to put on some muscle or you can expect more of the same of him being  pushed around inside.

It seems Mike gets tons of leeway and excuses for his recruiting and how his teams bad performances are the players fault and not HIS.  Last time  I checked MIKE was the head coach.  These are HIS players after 7 years.  MIKE recruited each and every one and if they aren't capable of getting the job done then that is on MIKE and MIKE only.  Players play up to their ability or their coaching and BOTH are reflections on the head coach.   I will say this,  MIKE had better win next year because this saying wait till next year because he has the pieces coming in to get us to the  next level is wearing very thin at this point.  Everybody knows if this was ANYONE other than Mike Anderson and he misses the tournament again this year, they would be fired and NO ONE would expect anything less.   His teams leading the conference in margin of defeat with 6 seniors is embarassing and directly reflects on his coaching.  It is his responsibility to get them in a defense they can play competitively and at least keep them within 10 points and give them a chance to win at the end.  I understand some games will get away from every team now and then but when it  is occurring as frequently as this team is experiencing, it all boils down to the head coach.  Mike has 9 games to right ship.  The question is, is he capable of it.   

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Swinefeld on February 02, 2018, 03:10:56 pm

Wait...the saviors of this program are just the 26th ranked class? Twenty GD six?????????????
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Rbill

Quote from: LA Football fan on February 02, 2018, 10:11:27 pm
What everyone seems to be counting on is freshman being able to perform at a high level against talent just as good on the other team and also more experienced.   Joe may be a high scoring guard in high school but  the guards in this conference are just as fast and more physical.  That is our problem now in that we continuously get outmuscled inside for rebounds and guards just blow by us on offense.  Chaney is the ONLY player that looks to me to be an SEC ready player as a freshman physically.  Gafford has to put on some muscle or you can expect more of the same of him being  pushed around inside.

It seems Mike gets tons of leeway and excuses for his recruiting and how his teams bad performances are the players fault and not HIS.  Last time  I checked MIKE was the head coach.  These are HIS players after 7 years.  MIKE recruited each and every one and if they aren't capable of getting the job done then that is on MIKE and MIKE only.  Players play up to their ability or their coaching and BOTH are reflections on the head coach.   I will say this,  MIKE had better win next year because this saying wait till next year because he has the pieces coming in to get us to the  next level is wearing very thin at this point.  Everybody knows if this was ANYONE other than Mike Anderson and he misses the tournament again this year, they would be fired and NO ONE would expect anything less.   His teams leading the conference in margin of defeat with 6 seniors is embarassing and directly reflects on his coaching.  It is his responsibility to get them in a defense they can play competitively and at least keep them within 10 points and give them a chance to win at the end.  I understand some games will get away from every team now and then but when it  is occurring as frequently as this team is experiencing, it all boils down to the head coach.  Mike has 9 games to right ship.  The question is, is he capable of it.

I don't disagree. It feels like people want to change the conversation. I think Mike has done a terrible job telling this team what to do and managing our strengths and weaknesses and consider it possible he will be fired if we miss the tournament.

I also am having a completely different conversation saying this team has no leadership and appears dysfunctional and I think we'll be better next year by losing some of these seniors, getting some point guards, finding some leaders, and involving Gafford more. I'm having this conversation in a bubble where I'm not discussing whether Mike should be fired or kept.

The_Iceman

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 02, 2018, 10:29:27 pm
Wait...the saviors of this program are just the 26th ranked class? Twenty GD six?????????????

Actually 21st on ESPN, the best basketball recruiting site.

hobhog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 02, 2018, 11:24:52 pm

Bo has a tough job. I honestly think MAs approval rating is less than 30%.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 02, 2018, 11:24:52 pm

That doesn't feel better. 21 and these guys are the saviors of the program?
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 02, 2018, 09:55:56 pm
And yet this season has seen crowds in size and enthusiasm not experienced since the Nolan days. This team continues to draw well. Fans seen willing to put up with the awkward moments because, at times, these guys do look like a Nolan team. It's during those explosive runs that we are reminded of what a truly remarkable facility BWA is and what great fans this school has given half a reason to be excited.
Of course we were reminded how great Bud Walton is, for example, in 2008 when we beat OU and Texas back-to-back.

So I'm not sure how these crowds are that unique.

lookawayquick

Rbill is right on the mark.  This team is dysfunctional.  No floor general.  Players who think shooting is leading.  Players prone to mental funks.  Low energy.  And from all indicators, low basketball IQ.  And then we have CMA's in game coaching.......or lack thereof.  The shooters may get hot and win a few more games but it won't last.  They will hit a cool spell and have nothing else to keep them competitive.  Dysfunctional.

The_Iceman

Quote from: bkjbearcat on February 02, 2018, 11:27:42 pm
That doesn't feel better. 21 and these guys are the saviors of the program?

It is a very good class for Mike Anderson. All 6 guys are 4 year type players that he can develop. Add that to Jalen Harris, Darious Hall, Daniel Gafford, hopefully Khalil Garland, Gabe Osabuohien, CJ Jones, and Adrio Bailey.....and Mike is finally starting to put together a team with length, athleticism, skill, and depth.

However, it is unacceptable that it has taken him until year 8 to so that. If he misses the NCAA Tournament this year, he shouldn't get a chance to even coach them....but he likely will unfortunately.

HogBreath

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 03, 2018, 06:49:58 am
It is a very good class for Mike Anderson. All 6 guys are 4 year type players that he can develop. Add that to Jalen Harris, Darious Hall, Daniel Gafford, hopefully Khalil Garland, Gabe Osabuohien, CJ Jones, and Adrio Bailey.....and Mike is finally starting to put together a team with length, athleticism, skill, and depth.

However, it is unacceptable that it has taken him until year 8 to so that. If he misses the NCAA Tournament this year, he shouldn't get a chance to even coach them....but he likely will unfortunately.

Seeing Mike and player development linked in the same sentence sets off all kinds of alarms.

If you're counting on that, best prepare for disappointment.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

code red

Look at Both?  Do we really think he knows squat about sports?  His stick grows old.  Morning Rush is getting worse also.  Maybe time to clean house. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

The_Iceman

Quote from: HogBreath on February 03, 2018, 07:19:11 am
Seeing Mike and player development linked in the same sentence sets off all kinds of alarms.

If you're counting on that, best prepare for disappointment.

There have actually quite a few players during Mike's career in coaching that started off with low minutes and production, and developed into major contributors by their junior/senior years.

HogBreath

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 03, 2018, 07:41:40 am
There have actually quite a few players during Mike's career in coaching that started off with low minutes and production, and developed into major contributors by their junior/senior years.
Just off the top of my head, I can think of Qualls as one who rose up, but more who left out and prospered elsewhere, Whitt and Babb. 

One might say Kingsley, but Moses said it was just playing time that lead to his junior year break out, and really he fell off his senior year instead of getting better.  Still, I'll always be glad Bobby Portis was able to recruit Kingsley to come here though.

Is there anyone on the current roster that could be used as an example of this development by Mike?  Just one?  Maybe just a little better?  Trey Thompson I guess, if you want to be generous.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

labb

Player development depends a lot on the player..Coaches can show a player the correct way and give them drills to run but in the end the player determines just how good they will be. Back in the day, before AAU, we use to say that a player learned skills in the summer on the playground and a coach organized those skill during the season.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 03, 2018, 06:49:58 am

That's the key phrase, "It is a very good class for Mike Anderson." In year seven most Hog fans expected to recruit top 15 most seasons with 21 being off years. Yet, most Hog fans thought we would of been to at least one Elite 8 by now. I agree, If MA misses the tournament (Which I think will happen.) he should be fired. But without Perry, this class isn't very impressive. Not when Vandy of all schools can get two 5* in one class.