Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Giving it til after the SC game

Started by Dogtown Donkey, January 11, 2013, 11:22:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dogtown Donkey

I'm not posting any concerns/complaints/criticisms/assessments/complements until after we play South Carolina.

I'm too negative right now.

It's not "just 1 game" like a lot of people are mindlessly spouting off on the internet and radio, but it's also not the end of the world.....yet. Let me see 3 road games and 3 home games first. If we can't take care of South Carolina on the road (Miss. State beat them on the road) and Miss. State, Auburn and Vandy at home, I'm going to sound off. And rightfully so. Ole Miss is the only team on our schedule for the first 6 conference games that rivals our talent level.

I mean, we should be better, right? Our most impressive win is a 3 point win over OU at home, in a game that we damn right screwed around and lost at the end. It's not just about the road woes. We haven't looked too scary at home, either. And it seems like for every road game like Michigan, there's 4 like TAM. We're better than that. A good coach should be able to focus talent like we have to get them playing like at least a bubble team.

I'm usually pretty patient, but the expectation when Anderson was hired was that we wouldn't have to as patient as we were asked to be under Pelphrey.

My state of frustration is now going into temporary hibernation mode....

Nipsey Mussle

Amen.

I'll do the same except the Ole Miss game is what I'm wanting to watch. If we give effort and play smart (win or lose) I'll have hope in this team.

And you're right, the "just 1 game" folks are way off the mark on this one. I've witnessed tons of blowouts to bad teams in my almost 32 yrs of Hog fanhood. Never, have I been more disappointed than that.

The_Iceman

Hog1751

I was horribly disappointed in the ATM game, but I also doubt the Hogs shoot 40% from the line or 5% from behind the arc again this season. I agree we should all wait until after the SC game, and a loss at Ole Miss is forgiveable. If were 4-2 after  6 games no one should be complaining. People seem to forget that if this team finishes 9-9 in conference, then thats better than 8 of the last 10 years of Arkansas Basketball, thats progress however slow it is.

RockChalkJayhawk

Well, it is one game in terms of the overall schedule.

However, it's more than one game because it's an altogether too familiar performance which initiates catastrophic thinking and message board posting.

It was a disgraceful performance, no question about it.  A cause for concern, certainly.  The end of the world, not necessarily, unless of course this game is the onset of yet another season of dismal road performances.  And it's difficult to fault anyone who feels this game was a sign of things to come because after all, they do have some history to submit as evidence.

BJ Young won't guard anyone on this message board.  He's an overrated offensive player in the first place, and yet, he's the worst defensive player on this team, and that is saying something! 
Marshawn Powell scored as many points as me, and you, and anyone watching the game in their recliner.  The Hogs aren't winning squat for road games if these two can't coexist, function within the team concept, or accept their leadership roles and deliver the goods away from Walton arena.

What one must hope for, is this recent public humiliation on ESPN shall serve as the ultimate wake up call to this team.  Let's face it, when you look at the other losses, none were like this. 
ASU game was on espn 3 ... not many people saw it, and it was early in the season and forgotten.
Wiscy, same thing.
Cuse ... ahhh but we sure gave em a game didn't we.  We weren't supposed to win, so no big deal.
Michigan, same song second verse.

Texas A&M ?  Ohhh .... well ... dang ... that was an arse-kickin of epic proportions.  Best do something about that.

Hogs will handle business until the trip to Ole Miss, and we shall all be on edge for that one.  Let's hope these guys will have learned a little sumthin-sumthin by then.

PonderinHog

It was just one game - that we should have won without too much trouble.  But mom's cupcakes are the best.

ThreeWayInn

Why   would a Jayhawk care?

It is just one game...and one game really does not mean much once it is over.   Every game is a new game...especially to 18 to 22 year old kids.

That game was an aberration.  No way the shooting is that bad again....history has proven this team will shoot better.

There are some concerns...but I am like the OP....this could be the wake up call...and I am willing to wait it out...have no other choice.

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: ThreeWayInn on January 11, 2013, 01:08:45 pm

That's a long story my friend, but I do care, otherwise I'd not be here with my viewpoints.

PonderinHog

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on January 11, 2013, 01:12:58 pm
That's a long story my friend, but I do care, otherwise I'd not be here with my viewpoints.
Glad to have you, RCJH.  Is Self still happy?   LOL

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 11, 2013, 01:16:37 pm
Glad to have you, RCJH.  Is Self still happy?   LOL

Last time I checked, he's hanging in there!  ;D

jamie72921

Quote from: RockChalkJayhawk on January 11, 2013, 12:46:19 pm
Well, it is one game in terms of the overall schedule.

However, it's more than one game because it's an altogether too familiar performance which initiates catastrophic thinking and message board posting.

It was a disgraceful performance, no question about it.  A cause for concern, certainly.  The end of the world, not necessarily, unless of course this game is the onset of yet another season of dismal road performances.  And it's difficult to fault anyone who feels this game was a sign of things to come because after all, they do have some history to submit as evidence.

BJ Young won't guard anyone on this message board.  He's an overrated offensive player in the first place, and yet, he's the worst defensive player on this team, and that is saying something! 
Marshawn Powell scored as many points as me, and you, and anyone watching the game in their recliner.  The Hogs aren't winning squat for road games if these two can't coexist, function within the team concept, or accept their leadership roles and deliver the goods away from Walton arena.

What one must hope for, is this recent public humiliation on ESPN shall serve as the ultimate wake up call to this team.  Let's face it, when you look at the other losses, none were like this. 
ASU game was on espn 3 ... not many people saw it, and it was early in the season and forgotten.
Wiscy, same thing.
Cuse ... ahhh but we sure gave em a game didn't we.  We weren't supposed to win, so no big deal.
Michigan, same song second verse.

Texas A&M ?  Ohhh .... well ... dang ... that was an arse-kickin of epic proportions.  Best do something about that.

Hogs will handle business until the trip to Ole Miss, and we shall all be on edge for that one.  Let's hope these guys will have learned a little sumthin-sumthin by then.

Actually this game had A LOT in common with the losses in Las Vegas.

I'll let you figure it out though. It's easy.
Bless your heart

HotlantaHog

Agree with Lanny. It's one game. Hate to lose any of them. Would rather lose at Texas A&M than home say vs. Delaware State or some other cupcake.

It's a long season. 1 game is not the end (unlike football, where 1 game can pretty much end hope of a championship.)

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: jamie72921 on January 11, 2013, 01:18:20 pm
Actually this game had A LOT in common with the losses in Las Vegas.

I'll let you figure it out though. It's easy.

lol yeah ... Except for the ole early season neutral-site vs. conference opener on-the-road dynamic. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Hog1751 on January 11, 2013, 12:34:27 pm
People seem to forget that if this team finishes 9-9 in conference, then thats better than 8 of the last 10 years of Arkansas Basketball, thats progress however slow it is.

9-9 in the SEC this year won't get us a SNIFF at the post-season.  And that is not progress at all.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Breems

This is an NIT team or worse... that's what I stuck with during the summer, and DD was with me.

FT shooting has been a sporadic problem, we allow far too many point-blank shots, and we have no offensive tools. 

We have two winnable home games coming up to get ourselves on the right track.  @Ole Miss will be a disaster.  After that, we'll see what this team is really about.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: HotlantaHog on January 11, 2013, 01:18:28 pm
Agree with Lanny. It's one game. Hate to lose any of them. Would rather lose at Texas A&M than home say vs. Delaware State or some other cupcake.

It's a long season. 1 game is not the end (unlike football, where 1 game can pretty much end hope of a championship.)

Uh, how many did Georgia beat us by last year on the road? One game, huh? The excuse was lack of players then and being tired. What's the excuse now?

Same story, different day.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 11, 2013, 12:26:38 pm
Lanny is mindless?

You can mindlessly spout something off without being a mindless individual. It happens to the best of us.

To say what happened Wednesday was "just 1 game" would be to completely ignore the history of the program for last 10 or so years. We didn't just lose, we got embarrassed. That wasn't supposed to happen this year with a full roster and better talent.

If we had gone down to College Station, played a decent game and lost by 3-5 points, that's somewhat acceptable. You could even attribute that margin of defeat to SEC officiating. But we got completely outclassed by a bad team. And that's happened before, so it's not just 1 game.

Hog1751

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 11, 2013, 01:23:20 pm
9-9 in the SEC this year won't get us a SNIFF at the post-season.  And that is not progress at all.

Actually that would put us in the NIT and that is progress, however slow it is. By the way I'm not saying I'd be happy with that, but wth can I do about it.  I also believe the Hogs win at least 11, could be wrong have been before.

WBOBO

I am going to take it one game at a time.  This team is very fragile and needs someone to step up and be the vocal leader.  Someone needs to give the "us against the world" speech and be convincing.  This team is not great, but they can have a lot more success than what most people think.  Win one game at a time and get better each game.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Smokehouse

Quote from: ThreeWayInn on January 11, 2013, 01:08:45 pm

RCJH is one of the best contributors in Jump Ball.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Smokehouse

I'm trying to be patient, but I was reticent about the hiring of Mike from the get-go, and so far I'm not seeing anything to allay my fears.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Iwastherein1969

basketball has turned into the "wait until next year sport" for the UA.....what was the name of the applicable song by Rod Stewart in the 80's, oh yeah, " FOREVER YOUNG "...at some point, we gotta grow up cuz the good Lord knows we're not young because we are sending a bunch of '1 and done's ' to the NBA
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

WBOBO

I like Rock Chalk a lot.  He loves the game of basketball, and calls it like he see's it.

pigture perfect

I'm just too impatient. Thanks for giving me a goal to attain. I've been negative the last couple of days, but I'll take your lead and not complain until after SC.

I am so old, that I remember not worrying anymore about road games than Home. We used to go to Houston, or Austin or Lubbock and take over their place like our own. We did the same in the Early SEC days too. I just want that back.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

WBOBO

This team got hit in the mouth and didn't respond.  I think they
will be alright.  They just don't need to get the cart in front of the horse.

DaddyBoarBucks

Why? Time and space is an incredible gift. We are all living in this timeframe of limited consciences: one game, one day, is enough to know that the tamu game should not have happened. Completely inexcusable both on the player and coach level.

PonderinHog

Quote from: DaddyBoarBucks on January 12, 2013, 12:37:30 am
Why? Time and space is an incredible gift. We are all living in this timeframe of limited consciences: one game, one day, is enough to know that the tamu game should not have happened. Completely inexcusable both on the player and coach level.
I just hope it doesn't continuum...seems like an eternity.