Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The "Wanted it more then we did" quote

Started by ttrk05, January 10, 2013, 09:27:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Chic-Hog-Oh

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on January 11, 2013, 03:24:59 pm
My opinion based on observation of MA and his teams' track records over the years is that he's not skilled at inspiring his players. 

That's most evident on the road where there is not a home crowd to supply the missing ingredient.  Even championship coaches can't get their players fired up for every game but they are the ones who consistently get out of their players the effort that has to be gotten when it has to be gotten to close out games.  Looking back through the best years of Razorback history, it wasn't unusual for Sutton's and Richardson's teams to come out flat and fall substantially behind, sometimes even to the weaker conference teams, but those coaches had their teams rallying at the end and often pulling out those type of games.  That's why their teams won trophies.

That all starts with what coaches get out of their players during practice.

Yes, I can see that. Agree. His demeanor is very calm at courtside, even when we are playing like crap. Remember the Richardson "scowls"? He would reserve most of them for the refs, but we saw more than enough of them focused toward particular players. Nolan's intensity -- borne out of his upbringing/etc, as illustrated in the 30-for30 video -- has to be a vital ingredient of what we've come to define as "Hawgball" that is missing with CMA. And again, it may be there to some degree.....but you also need PLAYERS who are willing to receive that type of coaching/motivation, and turn that into positive emotions and results on the court.  I am NOT convinced we have very many players like that on our team right now.....

Cracker Jack

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2013, 04:37:21 pm
If we could answer those questions on why teams come up with half assed efforts, we wouldn't be on a message board, we would be rich selling that secret to coaches across the nation.
At least we agree on the "half-assed efforts"....oh, and you and I are not PAID to answer those questions, which is why we are on a message board.  Mike IS paid, and paid VERY WELL to know those answers!

For the record, I like Mike, and hope he gets this program back to the top of the conference.  I am just SO frustrated with the lack of effort I saw Wednesday.  Either fix it, or tell us why you cannot.  Not "wanting it" badly enough is NOT acceptable, from the players or from you, Coach.

ttrk05

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2013, 12:15:37 pm
OK since CMA isn't here let me rephrase that so maybe it isn't so hard for some of you to understand. When you are beaten on the effort plays like rebounding and getting to loose balls, coaches point to that as an indication that the other team wanted it more because they were the ones who made the effort plays. There is nothing sinister in that statement.

I understand what your saying.  And every coach has probably said that at one time.  My point is this....CMA promised us that under his watch the players were going to pick them up off the bus.  They were going to play hard every night.  How then do you get up a and say "they wanted it more then us"? 

He played what?  11 guys Wednesday night?  Are you telling me coach that you could not find 5 guys that wanted to give effort to beat a pitiful A&M team to start SEC conference play?  Did you not stress to them that this game was important? 

To me it's an insult to fans for a coach to say this.  Get up there and say we got our a** handed to us tonight but you can bet these guys will regret it tomorrow. 

I still, even after that game, think we can do good things this year.  The next 4 games will let me know.  Now is the time when we will see if CMA wants it.  I watched the bear and CMA fight....so far CMA needs the help. 

board

Anderson is fat and happy. Should never have been hired and will be hard to get rid of and only after many, many mediocre seasons.

Held UA up for serious jack and has no where near the drive and hate Nolan had, at least for winning and sticking it in your face.

Wanted a nice paycheck, got it, moderate stick to UA, got it, on cruise control and likely to remain there....

board

Quote from: rude1 on January 11, 2013, 04:37:21 pm
If we could answer those questions on why teams come up with half assed efforts, we wouldn't be on a message board, we would be rich selling that secret to coaches across the nation.

They come up with half assed efforts because they have no leader willing to take control when the coach is only giving a half assed effort....