Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How does this class stack up with the SEC and nationally?

Started by Modsquad24, October 16, 2007, 09:32:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Modsquad24

I had heard on rivals that it was a real good class but it wasn't as good as UK or some of the other teams in the leagues for 2008. I was wondering if that was true or if its one of the better classes at this point? I think with it being a class that has a 4 star PG, three 3 star players it will be a really solid one. I think if they add Rotnei Clarke and Varez Ward it will be a great 1st full recruiting class for coach Pelphrey and one that will lead to alot of hog W's in the future. GHG!

24 days until the Arkansas Razorback Basketball season opener!

2008 Arkansas Razorback Basketball Recruiting class(as of 10-16-07)

Courtney Fortson 4 star 5-11 PG(Alabama MR basketball)
Terrance Joyner 3 star 6-2 PG
Brandon Moore 3 star 6-9 SF/PF(top 4 prospect in the state of La)
Andre Clark 3 star 6-10 PF(former OU commit)

Hollywood_HOGan45

lots have been saying that Joyner will not qualify.

hope he does but having serious doubts.
will be a good class anyway especially if we can get CLarke.

Tomhog™

I think it will be at best 3rd in the SEC behind Kentucky and Florida.  It will be a solid class, but not a stellar one.  Arkansas will get no 5 star players.  It will be a blend of 3 and 4 star players.  It will be good enough to be towards the top of the SEC. 

modabusesucks

Quote from: Tomhog™ on October 16, 2007, 09:47:16 am
I think it will be at best 3rd in the SEC behind Kentucky and Florida.  It will be a solid class, but not a stellar one.  Arkansas will get no 5 star players.  It will be a blend of 3 and 4 star players.  It will be good enough to be towards the top of the SEC. 

I concur

Hogginitall

As long as he develops them when they are in our program, I'm happy.  Moore and Clark are 3 star players, but they have tremendous upside and could play like 5 star players down the road if developed correctly.  It seems like Heath would get some kids with decent potential and they would stay at the same level for all 4 years they were there.  

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Hogginitall on October 16, 2007, 09:50:46 am

As long as he develops them when they are in our program, I'm happy.  Moore and Clark are 3 star players, but they have tremendous upside and could play like 5 star players down the road if developed correctly.  It seems like Heath would get some kids with decent potential and they would stay at the same level for all 4 years they were there.  

Good point - Heath seemed to do less with more .  Richardson always seemed to have a gift for finding diamonds in the rough to compliment his McDonalds (and Burger King) all-Americans; Beck, Stewart, Howell, Bradley, et al.  Let's hope Pel is the same way.  A solid class, nonetheless.  Hopefully Pel will add a few more good ones this year, then really bring in some top talent next season.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Hawgballz

Here is a little SEC comparison (10 points for a 5*, 6 for a 4*, 4 for a 3*, 2 for a 2* & 1 for everything else).  Remember, not everyone has the same number of slots open & different teams have different needs.

Alabama - 22 points (5* & 2-4*s)
Arkansas - 18 points (4* & 3-3*s)
Auburn - 16 points (4-3*s)
Florida - 34 points (2-5*s, 4* & 2-3*s)
Georgia - 14 points (4* & 2-3*s)
Kentucky - 16 points (5* & 4*)
LSU - 10 points (4* & 3*)
Miss St - 20 points (5*, 4* & 3*)
Ole Miss - 18 points (4* & 3-3*s)
South Carolina - 4 points (3*) a 6'8" center
Tennessee - 6 points (4*)
Vanderbilt - 12 points (2-4*s)

Right now we look to be somewhere around 4th or 5th in the SEC overall, behind Alabama, Florida & Miss St.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Adam Stokes

Yeah, we have a lot of solid players in this class but not a single guy is in the top 50.  We haven't had a 5-star commit since Olu & Jefferson, but neither really count.  I really hope Pel can land a player we can build our franchise around in the 09' class.

Tomhog™

2009 will hinge largely on this season's success.  If Pel can take this team and make a run into the NCAA, there will be a buzz and excitement about the Hogs all around the nation.  I'd expect the Hogs to land a 5* player and two or more 4* players.  They could very well become the Florida of the West, which is an exciting notion.  Let just hope our baketball coach can ride the waves of success much better than our football coach.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on October 16, 2007, 10:31:02 am

Good point - Heath seemed to do less with more .  Richardson always seemed to have a gift for finding diamonds in the rough to compliment his McDonalds (and Burger King) all-Americans; Beck, Stewart, Howell, Bradley, et al.  Let's hope Pel is the same way.  A solid class, nonetheless.  Hopefully Pel will add a few more good ones this year, then really bring in some top talent next season.

scotty thurman was not very highly recruited at all also

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on October 16, 2007, 01:01:04 pm

Good point.  Thurman was so good as a freshman, it was easy for me to forget he was only a three star out of highschool - #90-something or other best prospect, if I remember right.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on October 16, 2007, 01:08:56 pm

Good point.  Thurman was so good as a freshman, it was easy for me to forget he was only a three star out of highschool - #90-something or other best prospect, if I remember right.

i dont remember if there was a star ranking system back then.
the internet wasnt that big at that time.

razerbacker

I kinda hope we only end up with Clark,Fortson,Moore, and Hopefully clarke/some other 2 guard, and leave some room for next year.

Kilgor

Quote from: razerbacker on October 16, 2007, 01:58:11 pm
I kinda hope we only end up with Clark,Fortson,Moore, and Hopefully clarke/some other 2 guard, and leave some room for next year.

Me too.
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on October 16, 2007, 01:16:46 pm
Quote from: Dr Swineglove on October 16, 2007, 01:08:56 pm

i dont remember if there was a star ranking system back then.
the internet wasnt that big at that time.

I didn't mean three star, literally - I remember he was ranked in the 90's on some pre-season mag or other, and that seems about right for a three star nowdays.  Of course, Thurman began to blossom his senior season of high school, so the ranking was a bit low (and completely obscolete by the time he was a frosh).