Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Devin Thomas may have broken his leg tonight

Started by JoyDivision, October 06, 2007, 11:15:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JoyDivision

Swine_Sooie

Dislocated ankle from a horse-collar tackle. Said to likely be out for the season.

pioneerbasketball

QuoteIncase you didn't already know, the star SA Madison running back apparently suffered a compound fracture of his lower right leg just above his ankle in the 4th quarter of their game against Reagan. Ironically, his offensive coordinator asked him to come out of the game only two plays prior but he insisted on finishing the drive which was then inside the Reagan 20 with Madison up 35-14 and the game really out of reach. Thomas was hog collared (a tackle illegal in the NFL, but perfectly acceptable by NCAA and High School football) by a Reagan defender on the two yard line. When he was pulled back the stress appeared to have forced the lower leg to snap just above the ankle.

Devin Thomas who started at safety as a sophmore, while Tony Green (now at Alabama A&M) played running back, did not get his first carry until the 2nd game of his junior season after sitting out the first with an injury. In the 15 varsity games he played at running back, Thomas compiled an incredible 3,347 yards. Most likely he will never play another down of high school football, but those eye popping numbers assure him a permanent place among the all time great running backs in Texas high school football.

Just under 4 min left to play. Madison is up 35-14 and he is still on the field.

tophawg19

if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

go hogues

Already 2 recruits out for the season before they reach the Hill.  Not good.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: go hogues on October 07, 2007, 12:06:34 am

Atleast its the H.S. season and not their freshmen year.  We got 10 Months until the freshmen report and Felix is staying his Senior season + DeAnthony is still quite healthy.  I think we will be fine as long as this trend doesn't continue.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawgballz

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on October 07, 2007, 02:52:08 am

Atleast its the H.S. season and not their freshmen year.  We got 10 Months until the freshmen report and Felix is staying his Senior season + DeAnthony is still quite healthy.  I think we will be fine as long as this trend doesn't continue.

Don't forget Michael Smith & Brandon Barnett.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

Hawgballz

VenturaHog

Man I'm very sorry to hear this, hope he heals ok. This kid is a class act, he deserves good things.

FBPLAYER65

Felix Jones is not staying for his Senior season. I will bet anyone.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on October 07, 2007, 02:52:08 am
Felix is staying his Senior season
hate to tell ya bud, but the horse's mouth says other wise.

tophawg19

i feel like the money will change his mind . now he is mid first round , next year who knows
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

J Man

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 07, 2007, 09:08:27 am
i feel like the money will change his mind . now he is mid first round , next year who knows

Can you provide a link where an unbiased authority has stated he is a first rounder.  All I have heard are fans on this board saying this.  I think he will be back so that he can prove his worthiness.

big john

jone,s will not be a hawg next year you can book that for sure.
john goodwin

Hog Fan from Camden

Hope Thomas makes a full recovery!  The new coach could use him next year!

Hawgballz

Quote from: big john on October 07, 2007, 10:26:07 am
jone,s will not be a hawg next year you can book that for sure.

I just love how some folks know more about a player than that player knows about himself.

selfexplanatory

HS and college need to take after the pros and outlaw the Horse Collar tackle.  It is a desperation move to tackle somebody that ranks just under a face mask in my opinion.
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

TN_Realist

Quote from: J Man on October 07, 2007, 09:13:32 am
Quote from: tophawg19 on October 07, 2007, 09:08:27 am

Can you provide a link where an unbiased authority has stated he is a first rounder.  All I have heard are fans on this board saying this.  I think he will be back so that he can prove his worthiness.
mel kiper

TN_Realist

That San Antonio times article really puts it in perspective how good this kid is. 
For the other teams fans to be chanting his name, they know they were witnessing someone special. 
335 yards in a game against an undefeated 5A team.  Even the opposing players felt sick after this one it seems with the guy almost in tears. 
Wow I feel awful after reading that but praying he can be that special for the Hogs

big john

hes good kid prays go out the the yung man ,
john goodwin

Hollywood_HOGan45

wow
that totally sucks for that kid. Wished he could have broken rushing records instead of bones.

his stats would have been unreal if he stayed healthy.

3kgthog

That sucks for him. On the brightside, at least it wasn't a knee or hip.

Felix won't be back. I don't care what he says right now in the middle of the season. We all know the combine is what makes the money and all Felix would have to do is go in, catch some balls and run his 4.3 forty. He'd be an instant 1st round RB at that point. I'm sure he also knows the team is going to suck next season with no McFadden, Hillis or Monk.

The_Iceman

do you think he will have a full recovery? bones do heal better than ligaments...

VenturaHog

Quote from: selfexplanatory on October 07, 2007, 11:22:35 am
HS and college need to take after the pros and outlaw the Horse Collar tackle.  It is a desperation move to tackle somebody that ranks just under a face mask in my opinion.

YES!!!!!!!!

bd93

Quote from: selfexplanatory on October 07, 2007, 11:22:35 am

I agree

Hawgballz

Quote from: DonewithNuttless on October 07, 2007, 03:23:09 pm
do you think he will have a full recovery? bones do heal better than ligaments...

My understanding is that it is not bones, but it will be some time before the full extent of the damage is known.  The swelling needs to subside some so they can get a better picture of the injury.

justmaybe

I agree about the horse collar tackle. I wrote a letter last year to get it banned in high school to no avail of course. My son got collared in the first defensive series after picking up a fumble and running it back. Hurt his knee pretty good although he stayed in for the rest of the game after coming out for a few plays. I wanted him out of the game but they only have 20 players on the team and he would not come out. PIt is the second time in two seasons we have had someone hurt with it.

Torqued pork

It will probably take a very high profile college player on a very high profile team to sustain a major injury during a televised game for the NCAA to change the rule on the horse collar tackle. I can't imagine what it would take for high schools to change their rule.

slopinhogs

the good new was that it wasn't broken and wouldn't need surgery and would tsake time but should heal on it'swn. pulled everything in it.really bad sprain.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

justmaybe

In High school common sense should reign, actually in all of them I guess. But in high school the separation from bad to good players is larger I think and it should take about 3 minutes of discussion to get rid of this but they won't do it for some reason. It has been brought up before and they just won't pass it. Usually rule chgs don't get implemented becuase of the impact on officiating but in this case it is a very easy call. 

IronHog

Quote from: slopinhogs on October 08, 2007, 10:06:43 pm
the good new was that it wasn't broken and wouldn't need surgery and would tsake time but should heal on it'swn. pulled everything in it.really bad sprain.

?? So what is the extent of the injury??

The newspaper said it was a "dislocation" of the ankle indication significant damage to the ligaments of the ankle.  Has other information been given not linked in this thread?
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

IronHog

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on October 08, 2007, 06:20:44 am
It will probably take a very high profile college player on a very high profile team to sustain a major injury during a televised game for the NCAA to change the rule on the horse collar tackle. I can't imagine what it would take for high schools to change their rule.

I think we have come close to seeing McFadden go down due to the horse-collar several times.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

COCHISE

Quote from: IronHog on October 09, 2007, 10:15:21 pm
Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on October 08, 2007, 06:20:44 am

I think we have come close to seeing McFadden go down due to the horse-collar several times.
He got horse-collared in the SECCG last year by Florida and wasn't as effective through much of that game and into the Capitol One Bowl.

MajorHog

the word I'm getting is that the kid can't even start rehab until after natl signing day.  will the Hogs honor their scholly offer despite the injury?
You will salute these Hog Clusters, Mister!

Hate'em?  Tell'em so!

www.HornHater.com - an official sponsor of Hogville.net

Hawgballz

Quote from: MajorHog on October 10, 2007, 10:13:51 am
the word I'm getting is that the kid can't even start rehab until after natl signing day.  will the Hogs honor their scholly offer despite the injury?

Yes, the scholarship will be honored (we have honored scholarships on much worse injuries in the past).  It is my understanding that no surgery is required (letting the body heal itself) which means no breaks or complete tears.  Where does the estimate of February before rehab can be started come from?

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: MajorHog on October 10, 2007, 10:13:51 am

The best news on Devin Thomas is that his injury does not require surgery.  Even if he does start rehabbing in February he will be 100 percent by the time fall rolls around.