Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Arkansas football needs to be successful in the future.........

Started by hogfanmd, November 12, 2017, 09:01:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfanmd

Arkansas needs a coach that can take what he is given and then design a plan to place those players in the right positions to succeed. 
We need the complete opposite of "we will out Bama Alabama."
That crap won't work here

Example. Sabin has a scheme and plan, he is able to hand pick 5* talent to fit
His plan.   
Arkansas will never have that.  We need a coach that goes out and is able to recruit the best athletes he can get on campus and then formulate a plan to fit those kids. That's the magic with Guss and was eveident the one year he was here.  He also does little things like the no huddle that throw people off.  Guss will not be here and this is not about Guss.  Just an example.   And I'm also not talking about smoke and mirrors.  It's the same reason the B12 went to the spread.  They can't compete at smash-mouth football.   We need a guy who knows the recruiting landscape and knows how to make lemonade out of lemons.   
We need to develop a scheme and mental toughness and accountability around the best athletes we can get on campus.    You can't make steak out of chicken but it doesn't mean you can't have a great meal. 
This current staff tries to recruit for a specific scheme, then can't perform or adapt and now has lost its identity

The NewEra

Quote from: hogfanmd on November 12, 2017, 09:01:47 am
Arkansas needs a coach that can take what he is given and then design a plan to place those players in the right positions to succeed. 
We need the complete opposite of "we will out Bama Alabama."
That crap won't work here

Example. Sabin has a scheme and plan, he is able to hand pick 5* talent to fit
His plan.   
Arkansas will never have that.  We need a coach that goes out and is able to recruit the best athletes he can get on campus and then formulate a plan to fit those kids. That's the magic with Guss and was eveident the one year he was here.  He also does little things like the no huddle that throw people off.  Guss will not be here and this is not about Guss.  Just an example.   And I'm also not talking about smoke and mirrors.  It's the same reason the B12 went to the spread.  They can't compete at smash-mouth football.   We need a guy who knows the recruiting landscape and knows how to make lemonade out of lemons.   
We need to develop a scheme and mental toughness and accountability around the best athletes we can get on campus.    You can't make steak out of chicken but it doesn't mean you can't have a great meal. 
This current staff tries to recruit for a specific scheme, then can't perform or adapt and now has lost its identity

Dan Mullen proved once again that if you want a chance at beating Bama, you need to have a mobile quarterback.  Yep, Saban's army is too strong and too deep to go head to head playing their game.  I don't recall a game in the past few years where Bama was seriously challenged when the other team didn't possess that type quarterback.

JaketheSnake

*Saban

Gus' plan doesn't really change.  He runs the same plays no matter the personnel. 

casken

Quote from: The NewEra on November 12, 2017, 09:09:12 am
Dan Mullen proved once again that if you want a chance at beating Bama, you need to have a mobile quarterback.  Yep, Saban's army is too strong and too deep to go head to head playing their game.  I don't recall a game in the past few years where Bama was seriously challenged when the other team didn't possess that type quarterback.

Agreed...and with our O line prolly oughta fill up the stable with mobile ones.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: The NewEra on November 12, 2017, 09:09:12 am

Brandon Allen was QB in the 14-13 game in 2014. 

Torqued pork

Bama? I can barely remember what beating A&M feels like. Baby steps, people...baby steps.

jbigs77

I agree with a lot of the original post here. But would like to add some to it.

Going back to the Nutt years, his teams were so predictable. I could call the plays from my couch. We had a lot of offensive talent at that time. Then Gus shows up and that changed. Then Gus got shut down and we returned to predictable.

Nutt leaves and BP steps in. All of a sudden things got exciting. We did well for a couple of years, but the Oline declined. Other coaches saw that and adjusted to BP style. We still did well but lost most of the big games, Miles and Saban had BPs #.

BP wrecks not only his cycle but our football team to. Not even going to address next coach. We were the laughing stock of the country.

Brett comes in and surprised everyone with his hiring. First years were tough but then we started playing better and winning some exciting games. What first caught my attention was a lack of stamina with our players and the inability to adjust to what other teams were doing.  Then later I saw a lot of confusion with our players, like they didn't know or understand what they needed to do on any certain plays. We have tried to overcome what other teams are doing, but have not been successful in doing so. Our defense has holes in it and other teams can see them. Our offensive line has let our QBs get hit so many times, its a wonder we even still have a QB that can play. With that said in year 5, not acceptable and everyone knows it. Change is coming.

What I have noticed with successful teams today it tempo change ups. Go fast then slowdown. Slow down then speed up. Misdirection with speed, then power when its not expected. Saban has realized this and uses it. Bama is not the same as it was 4 to 5 years ago. We need a good modern coach that can teach proper technique, utilize the talent he has, and be able to recognize other teams game plans and adjust accordingly. We need to be unpredictable, be able to change the flow of the game, throw the other team out of rhythm. That is what the modern coaches are doing.