Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tennessee

Started by RebelW, March 02, 2015, 09:27:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: JayBell on June 29, 2015, 08:28:30 am
A laughing stock?  That is an extreme misconception based on historical prestige, not recent results.  Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Arkansas have been outperforming the likes of Florida and Tennessee over the last 5+ years, but those schools have more history.

The West has combined for 305 wins over the last five seasons, an average of 8.7 per team per season. The East has 255.  That's 50 less wins over that time period.  They averaged just 7.3 wins per team per season.

An adjusted West with Alabama and Auburn traded for Missouri and Vanderbilt would have 277 total wins over the last five seasons.  The East: 283.  A balance of 277-283 is a lot more even than 305-255.

And think of how many more wins Arkansas, TAMU, Ole Miss and Mississippi State would have if they didn't have to play Alabama and Auburn every single season.  The suckage of Tennessee and Florida has been boosting the records of Missouri and South Carolina.  A realignment wouldn't just make sense geographically, it'd make sense competitively too.  The West has been the toughest division in the history of college sports for way, way too long now.

Understandable, and good retort.   I just think Tenn, UF, UGA, Bama, Ark, LSU, aTm, and Auburn will always be at a consistently high level with peaks and valleys.  I figure Bama, UGA, LSU, and UF will be the creme' de la creme' so to speak.

If I'm right, over a long haul you'll have three of the four top end teams clustered in the East with Auburn, Tenn and an unpredictable USC(E) (Unpredictable cause they've been pretty stinky till Holtz built them and Spurrier's elevated them.  Post Spurrier??).  The West would have LSU, Ark, aTm, an unpredictable Mizzou (See USC(E) and substitute Pinkel) and the roller coaster programs of Mississippi.

Meaning, that unless this 5 year aberration becomes the norm, the East would be a juggernaut compared to the West.

That's all I was sayin'.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Biggus Piggus

The part I wonder about is Tennessee's offensive and defensive lines. Nobody makes a lot of headway throwing a lot of true freshmen into the breach. The Vols are going to have to play freshmen on the Dline. The Oline is far from ideal. They are feeling better because they have some returning starters vs. zero last year. Better is relative.

Tennessee can offset its limitations with spread formations and some very good skill position players. Their QB will be hard to sack. But it's not as though the Vols set the world on fire with Josh Dobbs at QB. They scored 21 against Missouri at home and 24 at Vanderbilt to end the regular season.

Their offense probably will improve a great deal -- that is my guess -- but they still should have problems against opponents with great linemen.
[CENSORED]!

murfvol

Good points Biggus. I think coaching may have exacerbated the OL youth issues. We have a new OC, so we'll see if that makes a difference. If not, it'll be a long season.

On the DL, hopefully the freshmen DTs can be reserves, but they will get lots of snaps regardless . That's a tough assignment against the Hogs. Our strength is stopping the pass.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: murfvol on June 30, 2015, 07:58:17 am
Good points Biggus. I think coaching may have exacerbated the OL youth issues. We have a new OC, so we'll see if that makes a difference. If not, it'll be a long season.

On the DL, hopefully the freshmen DTs can be reserves, but they will get lots of snaps regardless . That's a tough assignment against the Hogs. Our strength is stopping the pass.

The new OC point is a good one. Isn't that funny -- Arkansas hired a former Central Michigan head coach to be its new OC. Tennessee hired a former Central Michigan head coach to be its new OC, too.

I'm pretty sure Mike DeBord knows exactly how to prepare an offensive unit. The fit with Butch Jones is amazing, given that Jones was DeBord's OC at Central Michigan.

Tennessee had the recruiting, needed more experienced leadership, and DeBord is that.
[CENSORED]!

HF#1

They have recruited well but we are a year ahead of them imo.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Boaris Tusknik

Our coaching is 100 times better than Tennessee.  Top to bottom. I don't see anyway this game is remotely close. :razorback: :razorback:

JansterZ71

Quote from: Boaris Tusknik on June 30, 2015, 08:19:51 pm
Our coaching is 100 times better than Tennessee.  Top to bottom. I don't see anyway this game is remotely close. :razorback: :razorback:
I'm not saying it's not but That's yet to be proven in the SEC.
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

lefty08

Quote from: JansterZ71 on June 30, 2015, 10:44:31 pm
I'm not saying it's not but That's yet to be proven in the SEC.

100 times is a lot. Besides, everyone knows the offensive coordinator gets all the credit for championships
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

jbcarol

Shelby Miller ‏@SMillerWATE 2h2 hours ago

Five people are now in line hours ahead of today's UT Nike gear unveiling. @6News

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Tennessee Football
‏@Vol_Football

Close up of the checkerboard on the #Vols pants!

#Tradition
#OneTennessee

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP Jul 1

Josh Dobbs rocking Tennessee's new gray alternates:

The football gray alternates need orange shoes, but that's just me.

Quick recap of Tennessee's Nike unveiling. http://bit.ly/1LDlA5Z

jbcarol

Pat Dooley ‏@pat_dooley 3h3 hours ago New Orleans, LA

Summer lovin': Which team is getting more than it deserves -- Auburn or Tennessee? Discuss.

jbcarol

Josh Ward ‏@Josh_Ward Jul 2

Good read from @Andy_Staples: What is your college football program's brand? And what should it be? http://www.si.com/college-football/2015/06/26/college-football-branding-oregon-ducks-tennessee-volunteers ...

QuotePrograms across the country have spent plenty of money and hours trying to establish similarly strong brands with varying degrees of success. At Tennessee, where Nike is taking over for Adidas as the apparel sponsor on July 1, coach Butch Jones wants to develop a signature style that freights the Volunteers' Power T logo with as much meaning as Oregon's O. At the height of the Phillip Fulmer era, the Tennessee brand was obvious. A pro-style quarterback would run an offense bolstered by an elite tailback. Meanwhile, coordinator John Chavis's defenses would play man coverage on the outside and bring pressure from everywhere. But Jones is Tennessee's third coach since Fulmer's firing in 2008. He must rebuild a brand diluted by Lane Kiffin's brief stay and Derek Dooley's abysmal recruiting...

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP 3h3 hours ago

#Vols on preseason watch lists for awards: Curt Maggitt, Cam Sutton and Derek Barnett (Bednarik), and Josh Dobbs and Jalen Hurd (Maxwell).

jbcarol

This is not rocket science:

Bruce FeldmanVerified account
‏@BruceFeldmanCFB

At @Elite11 this is what #Vols QB Josh Dobbs is doing during his lunch break. Mercy.

Jalen Reeves-Maybin ‏@Finally_Maybin

Excuse me mr finebaum...we got class to go to sir

jbcarol

ESPN SEC ‏@ESPN_SEC 19h19 hours ago

Why Tennessee will -- or won't -- win the SEC East http://es.pn/1MfehPS

QuoteSept. 26-Oct. 24 for Tennessee. That stretch begins with a road game at Florida, which, while not an elite team, is still one the Vols haven't beat since 2004. If they get over that hump, the next three games bring Arkansas and Georgia to Knoxville in back-to-back weeks followed by a road game at Alabama. Can the Vols go 3-1 in that stretch? That's probably what it'll take for Tennessee to put itself in the best position in the division heading into the season's final five games, which aren't nearly as daunting as this quartet...

ALLVOL

I read on here and am surprised. My years on this site has been a lot of fun and those who know me know I'm not a Homer or a troll. But there are a lot of reasons people are liking UT this year. I think 7 to 8 reg season wins with a bowl win. There's so much more talent on the team than many on here recognize.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ALLVOL on July 19, 2015, 06:03:26 pm
There's so much more talent on the team than many on here recognize.

Not sure about that.

Most folks seem to me to acknowledge the talent that's been added during the last few recruiting classes.

But, in the SEC, talent alone won't win all that much.  Just as you are skeptical about this fall's Hog team, we are also skeptical about the quality of team you will produce.

I don't think your 7-8 wins is out of the bounds of possibility, though.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ALLVOL

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 19, 2015, 06:19:09 pm
Not sure about that.

Most folks seem to me to acknowledge the talent that's been added during the last few recruiting classes.

But, in the SEC, talent alone won't win all that much.  Just as you are skeptical about this fall's Hog team, we are also skeptical about the quality of team you will produce.

I don't think your 7-8 wins is out of the bounds of possibility, though.

Where did I say I was skeptical of the Hogs this year? And there's not just a lot of talent on UT this year but a lot of returning starters.
The Dline will not be an issue Annd we will have the best defensive back fields in the league. The. Lone weakness on defense will be Mike backer.
The only concern on offense (albeit a big one) is how much has the Oline improved. The Oline was much improved by the end of the season. The question is how much. 

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP Jul 15

The Vols continue to welcome higher expectations, but Butch Jones & Co. know the time to 'prove it' is approaching. http://bit.ly/1I2hK6x

QuoteHOOVER, Ala. — Tennessee's contingent of coach Butch Jones, three players and multiple support staffers had yet to leave Knoxville on Tuesday morning when the Volunteers were mentioned at SEC Media Days.

If that seems odd given the Volunteers' recent struggles, it's because it is.

It's fair to say Tennessee has been more or less an afterthought among the other SEC heavyweights at the annual July event of scripted answers and strange questions.

On Tuesday morning, though, South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier — up to tricks he employed at Florida in the 1990s — gigged the Vols for "celebrating" a 7-6 record in 2014, backing up a barb he fired earlier this offseason when he said the Vols "were doing cartwheels" after the program's first winning season since 2009...

"Now I want to make one thing clear: Contrary to reports, there were no backflips, and there were no somersaults," he said. "I think in the world of college football, you're judged by wins and losses, but you're also judged by does your team overachieve or underachieve. And I thought last year's team overachieved."

Another 7-6 season won't qualify as an overachievement in 2015, however...

bigdaddyhawg

July 20, 2015, 09:46:47 am #270 Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 10:03:13 am by bigdaddyhawg
Quote from: ALLVOL on July 19, 2015, 06:32:36 pm
Where did I say I was skeptical of the Hogs this year? And there's not just a lot of talent on UT this year but a lot of returning starters.
The Dline will not be an issue Annd we will have the best defensive back fields in the league. The. Lone weakness on defense will be Mike backer.
The only concern on offense (albeit a big one) is how much has the Oline improved. The Oline was much improved by the end of the season. The question is how much. 

See, this is where you lose me.  Your allvol, drinking every drop of the kool-aid, full of it perspective is at times too much too take.

So, of all the possible weaknesses an SEC defense can have, of all of those you guys have ONE, just one, weakness, everything else is a strength??!!

In this day and age of limited scholarships, this is not true.  I promise you have multiple weaknesses on your defense.  I know zip about your personnel, nor do I want to know anything about that, but I know every single defense in the SEC has MULTIPLE weaknesses.  It's a fact.

Otherwise your defense would hold pretty much every opponent scoreless, and you and I both know that's not going to happen.  Opposing offenses will find weaknesses on your defense and find ways to exploit them.

As far as "the best defensive backfield in the SEC", that also sounds like a load of bull.  Sure you guys have recruited talent the last several years, but so has Bama, and Georgia, and LSU, and on and on and on it goes.

If, at the end of the year, each of these claims prove to be fact, I'll gladly bow to your exceedingly great football knowledge.  Until then, I'll write it off to a typical Vol fan being full of the orange kool-aid.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ALLVOL

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 20, 2015, 09:46:47 am
See, this is where you lose me.  Your allvol, drinking every drop of the kool-aid, full of it perspective is at times too much too take.

So, of all the possible weaknesses an SEC defense can have, of all of those you guys have ONE, just one, weakness, everything else is a strength??!!

In this day and age of limited scholarships, this is not true.  I promise you have multiple weaknesses on your defense.  I know zip about your personnel, nor do I want to know anything about that, but I know every single defense in the SEC has MULTIPLE weaknesses.  It's a fact.

Otherwise your defense would hold pretty much every opponent scoreless, and you and I both know that's not going to happen.  Opposing offenses will find weaknesses on your defense and find ways to exploit them.

As far as "the best defensive backfield in the SEC", that also sounds like a load of bull.  Sure you guys have recruited talent the last several years, but so has Bama, and Georgia, and LSU, and on and on and on it goes.

If, at the end of the year, each of these claims prove to be fact, I'll gladly bow to your exceedingly great football knowledge.  Until then, I'll write it off to a typical Vol fan being full of the orange kool-aid.
Your premise is flawed greatly. There's a HUGE difference in being adequate, good, great or a weakness. So if your logic is a position is either great or weak, then you will have a ton of disappointment in you football viewing future.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ALLVOL on July 20, 2015, 11:51:32 am
Your premise is flawed greatly. There's a HUGE difference in being adequate, good, great or a weakness. So if your logic is a position is either great or weak, then you will have a ton of disappointment in you football viewing future.

I'm shocked and stunned that you aren't willing to come off your beliefs in any way.

And, in a nutshell, that's why I struggle with Vol fans.  They are absolutely convinced and are as unwilling to entertain any other thoughts.

ALLVOL

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 20, 2015, 12:41:56 pm
I'm shocked and stunned that you aren't willing to come off your beliefs in any way.

And, in a nutshell, that's why I struggle with Vol fans.  They are absolutely convinced and are as unwilling to entertain any other thoughts.
I think we win 7-8 games. I don't think we're gonna win it all. I just totally disagree with your premise that a position is either great or it's a weakness. There's a huge difference between the two.

ALLVOL

Quote from: ALLVOL on July 20, 2015, 12:56:17 pm
I think we win 7-8 games. I don't think we're gonna win it all. I just totally disagree with your premise that a position is either great or it's a weakness. There's a huge difference between the two.

As far as Vol fans go? They're no different than other fan bases. All you have to do is read this site or the site of any other team. Sans Vandy

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ALLVOL on July 20, 2015, 12:56:17 pm

That's not actually what I said.  I was addressing you when you said you only had one weakness on your defense.  I doubt the truth of that.

I understand you really like your defense, and that's fine.  I don't doubt you're going to have a good one.

Quote from: ALLVOL on July 20, 2015, 12:59:20 pm
As far as Vol fans go? They're no different than other fan bases. All you have to do is read this site or the site of any other team. Sans Vandy

Maybe, but the Vol fans that come on here are all cut out of that same cloth.

So are the Auburn fans.  They are just completely full of crap, for the most part.  They are usually classless, which is not how I would describe Vol fans.

While I do believe Vol fans are probably above the average intelligence range, I just think Vol fans display an arrogance that belies anything in reality.  And, man, you guys are completely hard-headed.  That's the most obvious consistent quality.

I must admit I don't go nor will ever go and spend time on any other fan sites, but this is my experience in those I've met in life, but more so my experiences here.

ALLVOL

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 20, 2015, 01:28:40 pm
That's not actually what I said.  I was addressing you when you said you only had one weakness on your defense.  I doubt the truth of that.

I understand you really like your defense, and that's fine.  I don't doubt you're going to have a good one.

Maybe, but the Vol fans that come on here are all cut out of that same cloth.

So are the Auburn fans.  They are just completely full of crap, for the most part.  They are usually classless, which is not how I would describe Vol fans.

While I do believe Vol fans are probably above the average intelligence range, I just think Vol fans display an arrogance that belies anything in reality.  And, man, you guys are completely hard-headed.  That's the most obvious consistent quality.

I must admit I don't go nor will ever go and spend time on any other fan sites, but this is my experience in those I've met in life, but more so my experiences here.
Like I stated, I view a position weakness a lot different than you apparently. I think our D will be good or adequate in all positions except MLB.
Some fans go to other sites to troll. I don't. I come to other sites to learn about the teams and. Their fans and tradition etc. There are fans from all teams that go on other sites to stir the pot.
LSU and Alabama fans seem to be the worst in that regard and they're definitely the worst in person. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ALLVOL on July 20, 2015, 01:36:31 pm
LSU and Alabama fans seem to be the worst in that regard and they're definitely the worst in person. 

I lived in Baton Rouge for a year a few years back, and they are pretty obnoxious, but I kind of expected that, what with it being home for them and all.

Although my contact with Bama fans has been limited, I've actually really liked every single one of them I've met.  They've always been gracious and very knowledgeable.

Quote from: ALLVOL on July 20, 2015, 01:36:31 pm
Some fans go to other sites to troll. I don't. I come to other sites to learn about the teams and. Their fans and tradition etc.

I appreciate that more than I can say!  That's why I like engaging you in these discussions.

Plus, right now you're the main Vol fan around for me to tweak a bit!  ;)

jbcarol

Tennessee players are not too interested in hearing Alvin Kamara's "good ol' boy" stories about his time at Bama

QuotePlayers and coaches have swapped sides in a rivalry before and that's true of Alabama-Tennessee too. Most recently, Sal Sunseri went from Crimson Tide assistant to Vol defensive coordinator in 2012. Corey Grant traded Alabama for Auburn before that.

Now, it's Alvin Kamara's turn.

A redshirt freshman in Tuscaloosa for the 2013 season, he spent a year at Hutchinson (Kan.) Community College before landing in Knoxville. With a thin depth chart, Kamara will practically be 1A/1B with sophomore Jalen Hurd.

How does his insight into Alabama's operations impact his Tennessee teammates? Very little for linebacker Curt Maggitt, at least.

"Personally, I'm not much interested in how their team is run or what the experience was like there," he said. "I'm grateful he's here and he works hard and I'm excited for him to get the ball."

Defensive back Cam Sutton wasn't too interested with that either.

"Of course we hear, or see the stories about what Alabama does the week of the rivalry of Tennessee," he said. "But we don't really concern ourselves about that. We just worry about playing on Saturdays."

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN Jul 20

Butch Jones said 64% of Tennessee's 85 scholarship players have 1 year or less experience playing CFB

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams Jul 21

UT has sold 66,627 FB season tickets, counting about 2500 comps. That's the most since 2010. All premium seats sold except some on East side

Students pay $10 for each game. Began paying in 2008. Allotment is 11,500. Tickets used to vary depending on game, but not since 2010.

UT charging $105 for Oklahoma game (most ever for UT home game, the same price Oklahoma charged UT a year ago for game in Norman)

Other home ticket prices for UT: $90 for Georgia, $80 for SC, $70 for Arkansas, $60 for Vanderbilt, $40 for Western Carolina and N. Texas

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: RazorCraft on March 04, 2015, 04:06:11 pm
Planning on heading to Knoxville with some buddies for the game...one of few stadiums never been to a game in Sec. Anyone have any advice about Tenner games?  Places to eat, stay, etc?  TIA.

Better get yourself two seats..............they squeeze 'em in at that stadium.  8)

bigdaddyhawg

jbcarol

GoVolsXtra ‏@GoVolsXtra 12h12 hours ago

Mike Strange: Meet your seat, but bring your wallet http://bit.ly/1CQYozs 

QuoteAt a little past noon on a muggy July Wednesday, the sun broiled an empty Neyland Stadium.

Well, not quite empty. Carl and Joyce Dunn of Lenoir City sat near the top of section Y6 in the north end of the lower bowl. In the spirit of the day, they were "meeting their seats.''

The Dunns had moved from section X2, not far away, and they were pleased with their new perch for the 2015 Tennessee football season.

"We had a little bit better view down there,'' Carl Dunn said, "although this is fine. I sure do like having that roof.''

Translation: They were in the shade of the upper deck and will be sheltered from rain or, worse, September sunstroke.

Tennessee appreciates the Dunns. Putting fans in seats at football games has become more challenging for everybody in the face of expanding TV options...

Single tickets for Oklahoma went for $105, Georgia for $90. Both prices are unprecedented at Neyland Stadium. The previous high was $80.

For the sake of comparison, here are a few ideas what $105 will get you:

A 22nd-row ticket for James Taylor at Thompson-Boling Arena — at the opposite end from the stage.

A "vintage" adidas-leftover Peyton Manning or Eric Berry jersey at the UT store.

Shrimp dinner for two with an appetizer and decent bottle of Chardonnay at Chesapeake's.

Or, an historic evening for one with the Sooners in Neyland...

Who knows where the secondary ticket market will hit. Checking StubHub on Wednesday, the cheapest UT-Oklahoma ticket was $148. Even some upper-deck tickets were topping $400.

Already, that $105 isn't sounding so bad.

ALLVOL

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 23, 2015, 07:58:07 am
AllVol, let's see how well you know your coach.

What's his discipline going to look like here?
It will be interesting to see since he is slated to red shirt. Butch has been a strong disciplinary coach thus far.

ALLVOL

Quote from: NoNC4Tubs on July 23, 2015, 06:32:05 am
Better get yourself two seats..............they squeeze 'em in at that stadium.  8)
That's funny. I've been to every SEC stadium and countless others around the nation and can tell no difference. Unless you get a chairback seat u will be cramped at a college football came. 

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred 2h2 hours ago

Arrest report provides more details on Tennessee lineman Charles Mosley's DUI stop http://www.knoxnews.com/govolsxtra/football/arrest-report-details-tennessee-lineman-charles-mosleys-dui-stop_48963769 ...

QuoteMosley was not the only person in the car, which was found to have "marijuana residue" in the front passenger area and back seat during a search, according to the report.

Kyle Oliver is named as an associate in the report. The UT football team has a freshman tight end by the same name on its roster. Oliver was neither cited nor charged.

The report says Mosley responded lawfully but slowly to emergency equipment and was initially observed as displaying normal eye condition, normal mental state and a normal walk.

Mosley told the trooper he had not smoked marijuana but had been with friends who had smoked while at an Econo Lodge on Lovell Road. But Mosley performed "poorly" on a series of six field sobriety tests.

According to the report, Mosley jerked his eyes during a horizontal gaze test; stopped to ask for directions, raised his arms and often missed "heel-toe" during a walk-and-turn test; swayed, raised his arms and put a foot down early during a one-leg-stand test; "completely missed" five of six times during a finger-to-nose test; and swayed and showed tremors during a balance test that required him to close his eyes and estimate the passage of 30 seconds.

The presence of alcohol was not observed, and Mosley was not tested for it. A blood test to determine the presence of drugs is pending, according to the report.

JansterZ71

Quote from: ALLVOL on July 23, 2015, 11:12:43 am
That's funny. I've been to every SEC stadium and countless others around the nation and can tell no difference. Unless you get a chairback seat u will be cramped at a college football came.

Yes you are correct
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

jbcarol

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP 21 hours ago

Late July means it's preseason camp preview series time. First up: Who are Tennessee's five most valuable players? http://bit.ly/1U2mDif

Quote1. QB JOSH DOBBS

It's not fair to say Tennessee's season hinges entirely on its starting quarterback, but he's certainly the primary source of the hype and the hope...

Dobbs has both the talent and the intangibles to take Tennessee to the next level, but with a freshman (likely Quinten Dormady) as his backup, his health will be key. Dobbs will have to manage himself when he runs, and Tennessee must be better in protection than it was last season. The Vols weren't able to keep their starter healthy the past two seasons...

2. LB JALEN REEVES-MAYBIN

The junior is a strong favorite to lead Tennessee in tackles...

3. DE DEREK BARNETT

How good was Barnett's freshman season?

He was one of only seven defensive linemen in the country who had more than 20 tackles for loss last season...

4. RB JALEN HURD

Hurd was Tennessee's only playmaker at running back last season, so when he was limited or sidelined in games due to some minor bumps and bruises, the Vols suffered offensively.

Junior college transfer Alvin Kamara [one of the RBs in Tenpenny's class] and Cincinnati graduate transfer Ralph David Abernathy IV [his grandfather marched with MLK] are now on campus...

5. DE/LB CURT MAGGITT

Tennessee's coaching staff viewed Maggitt as an integral part of the program in 2013 [and this is 2015]...

In Maggitt and Barnett, the Vols have one of the SEC's best pass-rushing tandems — the two are aiming for 30 sacks this season after combining for 21 in 2014 —

NEXT IN LINE

> CB Cam Sutton

> WR Pig Howard

jbcarol

Peter Burns ‏@PeterBurnsESPN 17h17 hours ago

The 2015 @Vol_Football season tickets look pretty sweet.....

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jbcarol on July 28, 2015, 02:48:53 pm
Peter Burns ‏@PeterBurnsESPN 17h17 hours ago

The 2015 @Vol_Football season tickets look pretty sweet.....

Is Jack Daniels OK with this??

ALLVOL

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 28, 2015, 02:53:46 pm
Is Jack Daniels OK with this??
I'm sure they did they're homework on this. If JD has a problem with this they're entire staff may strike! Lol

ALLVOL

After all JD is TENNESSEE whiskey. Looks pretty cool IMO

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ALLVOL on July 29, 2015, 10:32:16 am
After all JD is TENNESSEE whiskey. Looks pretty cool IMO

I agree.  I think it's probably the coolest I've seen.  But it's not by accident it looks like a label on a bottle of black Jack!  (I have no doubt JD was on board with this from the inception of it -- they're probably all Vol fans!!)

ALLVOL

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on July 29, 2015, 10:45:34 am
I agree.  I think it's probably the coolest I've seen.  But it's not by accident it looks like a label on a bottle of black Jack!  (I have no doubt JD was on board with this from the inception of it -- they're probably all Vol fans!!)
Oh yes. Old #7 lol

jbcarol

Josh Ward ‏@Josh_Ward 4h4 hours ago

Tennessee is No. 25 in the Coaches Poll: http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/2015/1/ ...

Eight SEC teams make the Coaches Poll Top 25. The only SEC team that didn't receive a vote: Vandy. Florida received 2, UK 1.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jbcarol on July 30, 2015, 01:46:05 pm
Josh Ward ‏@Josh_Ward 4h4 hours ago

Tennessee is No. 25 in the Coaches Poll: http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/2015/1/ ...

Eight SEC teams make the Coaches Poll Top 25. The only SEC team that didn't receive a vote: Vandy. Florida received 2, UK 1.

I wouldn't be surprised to see UF end up in the final 25, after the bowls.

I think Mussie left some talent, and I think the new coach is a nice upgrade over that cheerleader in a coaches shirt.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 20h20 hours ago

Updated: Quotes from Preston Williams, the Tennessee #Vols 5-star signee flagged by NCAA: http://on-ajc.com/1MyGMun 

QuotePreston Williams, a 5-star wide receiver from Lovejoy, GA, told the AJC on Friday that he must retake the ACT and may not be cleared to play this season for the Tennessee Volunteers.

The AJC Super 11 wide receiver was the No. 6 player in the 2015 class for the state of Georgia.

Despite his clean bill of health [recovery from torn ACL], the receiver is not currently practicing.

"Right now they've got me sitting out to take care of a few things," Williams said.

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams Jul 31

Tennessee talented freshmen WR Preston Williams must re-take the ACT, leaving his practice status in jeopardy. Summer workouts begin Aug. 4.

NCAA Clearinghouse red-flagged Williams' ACT score after a significant jump. His date to retake is expected to be set within 2 weeks.

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred Jul 31

Asked a/b @JimmyHyams' report on Preston Williams' ACT, UT says Butch Jones will address subject Monday. No other official response now.