Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bielema and "Nutt 2.0"

Started by WilsonHog, October 10, 2013, 03:25:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Of all the unsupported assertions in the history of Hogville, that claim is at the top of the list.

Nutt surrounded himself with the Murray St. Mafia as assistant coaches; Bret Bielema has surrounded himself with outstanding coaches, men whose resumes indicate they sort of know what they're doing.

Nutt coached scared; Bielema does not strike me as a coach afraid of anyone or anything.

Nutt created an "us against them" situation - you were either in his inner circle or you weren't; Bielema has gone out of his way to communicate with and embrace our fans.

Nutt's offense was one-dimensional; Bielema's numbers as a head coach do not indicate that at all.

No, Bielema isn't "Nutt 2.0." That's just the label applied by some of our fans who don't possess the ability - or the desire - to look deep enough to discern the differences. He's not going 5-wide every play and throwing it all over the field, so by their definition he's "Nutt 2.0."

Pure nonsense.

HogFaninMemphis

beautiful, Wilson. Brings a tear to my eye.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

The NewEra

Nutt called the offensive plays and did it poorly.  Bielema is a CEO coach and lets his coaches coach.

hogsanity

the BP Posse should arrive any moment now. Followed closely by the Briles brigade, the Gus bus, and the "its boring" bafoons.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogs-n-Roses

Nutt allowed and promoted a divided  team. Players(stars) got preferential treatment. He was also a petty person and held grudges against players,parents, coaches. Dissention will kill a football team. That's why we lost to a weak Ky football team at home yet had the horses to beat a number 1 team on the road.
And as mentioned above he surrounded himself with poor character coaches where as this guy can recruit good/great ones.

Dirty

I don't see CBB as a rah rah coach!

Razorbacks#1

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

regi

Quote from: hogsanity on October 10, 2013, 03:38:56 pm
the BP Posse should arrive any moment now. Followed closely by the Briles brigade, the Gus bus, and the "its boring" bafoons.

You left out the "burn Jeff Long at the stake" Nazis

scruf

Ironically, "2.0" indicates an improvement over the original when viewed in light of the software version metaphor.

scruf

Quote from: regi on October 10, 2013, 04:15:46 pm
You left out the "burn Jeff Long at the stake" Nazis

Yeah, also forgot "carpetbagger" "get off Twitter" "white windbreaker" "ground and pound" "converted linebacker" and "Ohio State and Penn State weren't eligible"

The Artist Yo Huckleberry

rude1

Really? Check out these numbers:
Nutt's last season here = 938 total plays, 625 rushing attempts for a 67% ratio favoring the run, regular season final record 8-4.

CBB last season at Wi. = 926 total plays, 635 rushing attempts for a 69% ratio favoring the run, regular season final record 8-4.

Guess they aren't similar, Nutt was even a little more wide open with his offense than CBB in their last season before moving on. Deny all we want, the obvious and valid comparison is there with the numbers bearing this out.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

hogfansince1964

The Razorbacks can run the wishbone and I will be happy with it as long as they win.

WPS!

DarksideHog

Quote from: rude1 on October 10, 2013, 04:20:34 pm
Nutt's last season here = 938 total plays, 625 rushing attempts for a 67% ratio favoring the run, regular season final record 8-4.

CBB last season at Wi. = 926 total plays, 635 rushing attempts for a 69% ratio favoring the run, regular season final record 8-4.

Guess they aren't similar, Nutt was even a little more wide open with his offense than CBB in their last season before moving on. Deny all we want, the obvious and valid comparison is there with the numbers bearing this out.
I did not know they only coach just one season.

870hogfan

October 10, 2013, 04:26:20 pm #15 Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:43:38 pm by 870hogfan

Here's one now...

SPAL

Quote from: DarksideHog on October 10, 2013, 04:26:02 pm

Wasting your time with people of his ilk. They have an axe to grind and they will skew stats to prove their point. You will never beat them.

WilsonHog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on October 10, 2013, 04:31:51 pm
Wasting your time with people of his ilk. They have an axe to grind and they will skew stats to prove their point. You will never beat them.

You're right, and those people are on the fringes. Every fan base has them.

NaturalStateReb

Bielema went to three BCS games.  Nutt once saw a BCS game on TV.

When Bielema left Wisconsin, the AD wasn't fired and the program wasn't in flames.  Nutt managed that not once, but twice.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

The Boar War

One went to the Cotton Bowl.  One went to the Rose Bowl. 

Honestly I'd be happy with either (barring the off the field crap).

WilsonHog

One evening when I was in college, my roommate bad another guy got into an argument about a particular artist's latest release. When he had absolutely nothing left he could argue with, the guy stuttered and stammered around and said, "Well, I bet I know 11 people who wouldn't buy one!"

Well, okay then.

We have a lot of "11 people" folks around here sometimes.

SPAL

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 10, 2013, 04:34:26 pm
You're right, and those people are on the fringes. Every fan base has them.

That's correct. But we seem to have a unique situation due to all the comparison. People have to compare coach B to petrino. Those who wanted petrino to stay won't be happy if coach B doesn't have the same type success in year 1 as petrino had in year 3.

Then you have the people who compare coach B to malzahn. Since malzahn is an arkansas guy, there is a faction that wanted Gus when petrino was fired. So they will unfairly compare the 2 first year coaches.

Then, there are those who compare him to nutt because they both like to run the ball. As you clearly pointed out, that's the only similarity.

Because there are so many different factions with agendas, hogville becomes their platform. As such, it's unreadable at times.

Biggus Piggus

Wisconsin last season beat Nebraska 70-31 to win the Big Ten title game.

Nebraska beat Northwestern.

Which beat Vanderbilt.

Which beat Tennessee.

Which beat North Carolina State.

Which beat Florida State.

Which beat Clemson.

Which beat LSU.

Wisconsin was better than LSU!

You know what really amazes me? That coaches with running backs like Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Montee Ball, James White and Melvin Gordon would run the ball so often. Da foolz!
[CENSORED]!

HoggusMaximus

The man is still in his first season after a 5 win season last year. So we have 3 losses 2 of those are to top 25 teams, give the man a chance some of you guys are worse than a women when she doesn't get her way.

jamie72921

Both hired Markuson, but only one was smart enough to fire him in less than a season.
Bless your heart

hog911

Quote from: hogfansince1964 on October 10, 2013, 04:25:34 pm
The Razorbacks can run the wishbone and I will be happy with it as long as they win.

WPS!

AMEN! I personally don't care if we run 100% of the time or pass a 100% of the time, as long as we win!!!!! We have very little talent on this team!

WhiteHairedDevil

Lol. Why did I read that six paragraph love letter for support of Nutt 2.0?

That's enough ammunition for at least five more games.

However,  lost in all that smooching is the fact that we've lost three, yes three straight games with more to come but that doesn't matter because we have the mighty Bielema as our coach.
Totally shocking!

Ramtough

Any time you get compared to Nutt for any reason good or bad I think you may have a issue. Most people miss the entire point about the running game anyway. Its not that you run its when you are trying to run that brings on the Nutt comparison. When you have 3rd and 10 or more and you run draws and screens and pitch plays that are predictable play calls because you can't throw it. I'm not sure we ever threw a pass on 1st down against Florida. Thats a little NUTTY.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on October 10, 2013, 04:35:14 pm
Bielema went to three BCS games.  Nutt once saw a BCS game on TV.

When Bielema left Wisconsin, the AD wasn't fired and the program wasn't in flames.  Nutt managed that not once, but twice.

Cha-ching!

I want to know what process some universities use to hire football coaches. We know the one that Arkansas used to hire Nutt. It was ridiculous. Ole Miss must have been even worse when it hired Nutt. A bazillion alarm bells did not matter to them.

Nutt earned a lot of respect in college football for winning at Arkansas. What people saw was - Danny Ford didn't win - Houston Nutt did (usually).

They didn't see that Nutt had played more than 40 games against SEC opponents that won 7 or fewer games. That while Nutt was at Arkansas, Alabama's record was 70-54. Mississippi State was 51-68. South Carolina was 55-63. Ole Miss was 60-59.

I know this much. Arkansas did not turn down anyone better when it hired Bielema.
[CENSORED]!

scarolinahog

Quote from: hogfansince1964 on October 10, 2013, 04:25:34 pm

WPS!

THIS. IF NUTTBALL 2.0 WINS LETS DO IT.  I THINK CBB IS JUST DOING THE BEST HE CAN WITH WHAT HE HAS.
I POST IN CAPS CAUSE I LOVE THE JOKES!

Biggus Piggus

Nutt's open secret was that he does not have an understanding of all aspects of football. He was unable to understand. Lou Holtz had him pegged almost 40 years ago. This was why, when Nutt had succeeded in hiring a couple of good assistants, they left as soon as they could.

Being a goob doesn't doom you. But good assistants flee when they realize your recruiting is so disorganized, they're not going to get to coach any good talent.
[CENSORED]!

Calling All Hogs

Nutt's wife expressed a desire to attack a player's mom with a 2 x4. CBB's wife has not. Nutt hired a lawyer and threatened a fan who requested his text records on a state issued cell phone legally under the FOI act. CBB has not. While this kind of behavior seems insane now, it was the norm under Nutt.

The Boar War

Quote from: Ramtough on October 10, 2013, 05:12:59 pm
I'm not sure we ever threw a pass on 1st down against Florida. Thats a little NUTTY.

No.  Having the qb heave the ball as far as he could on the first play of the game just to show it could be done is Nutty.  Bragging to the play by play guy about calling a routine passing touchdown is Nutty.

56Hog

Well said.

Not 1.0 vs. 2.0, more like Coach vs. Anti-Coach.
"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

RazorbackBurger numba foe

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 10, 2013, 03:25:18 pm
Of all the unsupported assertions in the history of Hogville, that claim is at the top of the list.

Nutt surrounded himself with the Murray St. Mafia as assistant coaches; Bret Bielema has surrounded himself with outstanding coaches, men whose resumes indicate they sort of know what they're doing.

Nutt coached scared; Bielema does not strike me as a coach afraid of anyone or anything.

Nutt created an "us against them" situation - you were either in his inner circle or you weren't; Bielema has gone out of his way to communicate with and embrace our fans.

Nutt's offense was one-dimensional; Bielema's numbers as a head coach do not indicate that at all.

No, Bielema isn't "Nutt 2.0." That's just the label applied by some of our fans who don't possess the ability - or the desire - to look deep enough to discern the differences. He's not going 5-wide every play and throwing it all over the field, so by their definition he's "Nutt 2.0."

Pure nonsense.
Honest Question...

I do spend as much time on here as most, but I keep seeing people debating why Bielema is not "Nutt 2.0", but have not seen one person claim this or join threads about this to try to prove their side. Where are the people claiming this that are not trolls? It seems like these post generate 95%+ support and a few people trolling the majority.

Just my observation...

Ramtough

Like I said when you go the whole game letting your OC not call a 1st down pass, are you watching or coaching.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: RazorbackBurger numba foe on October 10, 2013, 05:25:00 pm
Honest Question...

I do spend as much time on here as most, but I keep seeing people debating why Bielema is not "Nutt 2.0", but have not seen one person claim this or join threads about this to try to prove their side. Where are the people claiming this that are not trolls? It seems like these post generate 95%+ support and a few people trolling the majority.

Just my observation...

Then you missed the guys in August who posted 100x a day. You didn't miss anything important.
[CENSORED]!

porkchopsdontfloat

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on October 10, 2013, 04:56:30 pm

You know what really amazes me? That coaches with running backs like Darren McFadden, Felix Jones, Montee Ball, James White and Melvin Gordon would run the ball so often. Da foolz!

Yeah, and had 3k yards in the air and 3k yards on the ground when he had Russel Wilson. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you're willing to tailor your offense to utilize the talent you have.
The world will little note, nor long remember, the debates that distract us from what really matters, but it will remember that we wasted our lives calling strangers on the Internet retarded for liking the wrong things.

Biggus Piggus

Oh, let's not forget the comparison.

Strip it down more - Nutt played four SEC games a year against teams with .500 records or worse.

From 1992-97 - Arkansas played three losers per season.

From 2008-12 - Two per season.

2013 - Very possibly zero.
[CENSORED]!

Justifiable Hogicide

Pure nonsense.

No kidding.
With Coach Bielema we've got a professional, with an accomplished staff, with a plan to build a program.
With HD Nutt, we had a repulsive, incompetent, spiteful, fraudulent clown.
Nutt could'nt carry CBB's jockstrap.

ballz2thewall

you punched the tar baby, wilson.

but really, why is this important?
The rest of the frog.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: RazorbackBurger numba foe on October 10, 2013, 05:25:00 pm
Honest Question...

Just my observation...

if i'd have read your post i wouldn't have made my comment.  we've had some good threads with x & o discussions and a few concerning coaching philosophy that was not a complete train wreck.  i, too, was wondering why a mod, who should know the ropes, would chunk this on the grill.

just wondering.....
The rest of the frog.

Biggus Piggus

Besides, we could use a Nutt 2.0. The beta version was broken.
[CENSORED]!

WaltKowalski

Pure nonsense.

To compare the two one must look no further than the wives.

nextlevel

Quote from: Ramtough on October 10, 2013, 05:26:08 pm
Like I said when you go the whole game letting your OC not call a 1st down pass, are you watching or coaching.

You said it, doesn't make it true, are you watching or coaching the games?

1st quarter:
1st and 15 at ARK 34   Brandon Allen sacked by Loucheiz Purifoy for a loss of 5 yards, fumbled, forced by Loucheiz Purifoy, recovered by Fla Michael Taylor at the Ark 29.

1st and 10 at ARK 36   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Hunter Henry, broken up by Loucheiz Purifoy.

2nd quarter:
1st and 10 at ARK 29   Brandon Allen pass incomplete.

1st and 10 at FLA 46   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Kiero Small.

3rd quarter:
1st and 15 at ARK 47   Brandon Allen pass complete to D'Arthur Cowan for 9 yards to the Fla 44.

1st and 10 at FLA 14   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Javontee Herndon, broken up by Jaylen Watkins.

1st and 10 at ARK 8   Brandon Allen pass complete to Kiero Small for 8 yards to the Ark 16.

4th quarter:
1st and 17 at ARK 13   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Drew Morgan.

1st and 10 at ARK 25   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Javontee Herndon.

1st and 15 at ARK 35   Brandon Allen pass complete to Keon Hatcher for 4 yards to the Ark 39.

1st and 10 at FLA 50   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Keon Hatcher.

1st and 10 at FLA 37   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Eric Hawkins.

1st and 10 at FLA 23   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Keon Hatcher.

1st and Goal at FLA 5   Brandon Allen sacked by Cody Riggs for a loss of 10 yards to the Fla 15.

If anything we passed too much on 1st down...

http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=332780057&period=4
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Biggus Piggus

Brilliant work, nextlevel. Catching people shooting off their mouth about bull is glorious.
[CENSORED]!

WilsonHog

Quote from: nextlevel on October 10, 2013, 06:17:29 pm
You said it, doesn't make it true, are you watching or coaching the games?

1st quarter:
1st and 15 at ARK 34   Brandon Allen sacked by Loucheiz Purifoy for a loss of 5 yards, fumbled, forced by Loucheiz Purifoy, recovered by Fla Michael Taylor at the Ark 29.

1st and 10 at ARK 36   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Hunter Henry, broken up by Loucheiz Purifoy.

2nd quarter:
1st and 10 at ARK 29   Brandon Allen pass incomplete.

1st and 10 at FLA 46   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Kiero Small.

3rd quarter:
1st and 15 at ARK 47   Brandon Allen pass complete to D'Arthur Cowan for 9 yards to the Fla 44.

1st and 10 at FLA 14   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Javontee Herndon, broken up by Jaylen Watkins.

1st and 10 at ARK 8   Brandon Allen pass complete to Kiero Small for 8 yards to the Ark 16.

4th quarter:
1st and 17 at ARK 13   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Drew Morgan.

1st and 10 at ARK 25   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Javontee Herndon.

1st and 15 at ARK 35   Brandon Allen pass complete to Keon Hatcher for 4 yards to the Ark 39.

1st and 10 at FLA 50   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Keon Hatcher.

1st and 10 at FLA 37   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Eric Hawkins.

1st and 10 at FLA 23   Brandon Allen pass incomplete to Keon Hatcher.

1st and Goal at FLA 5   Brandon Allen sacked by Cody Riggs for a loss of 10 yards to the Fla 15.

If anything we passed too much on 1st down...

http://espn.go.com/ncf/playbyplay?gameId=332780057&period=4

And a source citation to boot.

I ain't seen a beatin' like that since someone stuck a banana in my shorts and turned a monkey loose.

Ramtough

So in the 1st half of the Florida game we didn't complete a pass on 1st and 10 on 3 tries not counting the sack. Thats why it seemed like we never threw on 1st down. 

rude1

Quote from: DarksideHog on October 10, 2013, 04:26:02 pm
I just took the last season each had before moving on to next job. Isn't those numbers just eerily similar? Seeing how those numbers were pretty consistent for CBB whole career at Wi. I think most can see the point. I am just saying that the argument that CBB is Nutt 2.0 is not invalid.

tophawg19

i can sum up the difference easily. EGO --- Nutt's ego was huge and he wouldn't hire top assistants because he didn't want coaches better than him. he was afraid he would hire his replacement so he saved us money by hiring bargain basement guys . CBB also has a huge EGO but in his case , isn't petty minded and is smart enough to know that hiring great coaches covers your weak areas and makes you look great. Where nutt had to have control of everything down to how much toilet paper was in each bathroom , CBB is wise enough to spread around the load to guys who know more about their given areas . Nutt's ego was overcome by his fear of losing control and being shown for what he was . CBB'S ego says I'AM THE MAN , AND I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE CONTROL TO PROVE IT . I HIRE MEN I CAN TRUST . CBB = GEN. PATTON ----NUTT = NAPOLEAN BONAPARTE
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins