Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

team is gonna be very talented

Started by Modsquad24, August 29, 2008, 09:37:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Modsquad24

we may be young and take some lumps early, but when you factor in the fact that this is a highly regarded class nationally, they all qualified and the sec is expected to be down for the most part this year I think we do better than alot of people expect. I gotta say the future is bright, if we add another star player to go along with Powell in 09' look for deep runs in march madness again, I am pumped up about this bball programs future! GHG!

HoopS

Lay out your starting lineup and backups.....

ballinhog

Pg-Fortson
Sg-Welsh
Sf-Henry
Pf-Washington
Pf/C-Sanchez

6th man-Rotnie Clarke
Britt may play 6-10 mins a game
Mcdonald should be able to give Henry some rest
Moore and Clark will be part of a 4 man rotation inside

My opinion anyway

Beaverfever

Quote from: ballinhog on August 29, 2008, 10:45:28 am
Pg-Fortson
Sg-Welsh
Sf-Henry
Pf-Washington
Pf/C-Sanchez

6th man-Rotnie Clarke

My opinion anyway
I think you have a very good handle on the situation. 

Adam Stokes

I think Rotnei wasn't going to start over Beverly but he will over welsh.  Yes we had a high class, but I just compare us to Florida last year.  Except that Florida had 2 five stars and 2 four stars, while he had two four stars and four three stars.  Don't expect any better than 6-10.

Beaverfever

Quote from: ajs15razorman on August 29, 2008, 11:19:09 am
I think Rotnei wasn't going to start over Beverly but he will over welsh.  Yes we had a high class, but I just compare us to Florida last year.  Except that Florida had 2 five stars and 2 four stars, while he had two four stars and four three stars.  Don't expect any better than 6-10.
I will be VERY dissapointed with 6-10.  We may have new players but they are not babies.  Sanchez, Courtney, Henry, and A Clark may all be new but these guys are all about 20 years old.  Saying this team shouldn't do any better than 6-10 is really discrediting them.   If we go 6-10 I hope we have a lot of transfers following the season. 

Hogbody

Quote from: Beaverfever on August 29, 2008, 11:37:49 am
I will be VERY dissapointed with 6-10.  We may have new players but they are not babies.  Sanchez, Courtney, Henry, and A Clark may all be new but these guys are all about 20 years old.  Saying this team shouldn't do any better than 6-10 is really discrediting them.   If we go 6-10 I hope we have a lot of transfers following the season. 

These guys don't know about playing in SEC play.  I think for what we know about the team so far, 6-10 is a good estimate.

razerbacker

Only 2 of our recruits are comming straight from High School, Clarke and Moore, and they have been on campus for most of the summer working hard. Henry and Fortson have spent a year in prep, Mcdonald has 2 years of juco experience, and Clark has has been on campus since like january. I think this freshmen class will be able to get over the growing pains faster then most.

Beaverfever

August 29, 2008, 12:44:48 pm #8 Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 12:46:28 pm by Beaverfever
Quote from: Hogbody on August 29, 2008, 12:04:20 pm
These guys don't know about playing in SEC play.  I think for what we know about the team so far, 6-10 is a good estimate.
Whatever, the SEC is an average basketball conference top to bottom.  6-10 in the SEC makes you a bad team with average talent.  I'm sick of everyone already making excuses for these guys.  We should find out pretty quick whether they are any good. 

Hogbody

Quote from: razerbacker on August 29, 2008, 12:33:46 pm
Only 2 of our recruits are comming straight from High School, Clarke and Moore, and they have been on campus for most of the summer working hard. Henry and Fortson have spent a year in prep, Mcdonald has 2 years of juco experience, and Clark has has been on campus since like january. I think this freshmen class will be able to get over the growing pains faster then most.

It took sonny a  year to really reach potential.

razerbacker

That or pelphreys system was better suited for him, prolly both.

Foshodo

If you look at Washingtons production (points, boards) compared to the time he played... you have to imagine he'll be a beast... needs to learn how to defend without fouling but hopefully he at least improved on it during the offseason.

I can't wait for this season to start... it's essentially a brand new team and we have nothing to do but be optimistic.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: ballinhog on August 29, 2008, 10:45:28 am
Pg-Fortson
Sg-Welsh
Sf-Henry
Pf-Washington
Pf/C-Sanchez

6th man-Rotnie Clarke

My opinion anyway

i can also see Pel using McDonald and  Henry together or either one with a big and 3 guards

Hogbody

Quote from: razerbacker on August 29, 2008, 01:55:04 pm
That or pelphreys system was better suited for him, prolly both.

I would definitely agree.

hview

Guess I'm a little crazy, but if this group comes together as a team they can win 20 games.

Billy

August 30, 2008, 09:36:15 am #15 Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:39:34 am by Billy
                                                                           FORTSON

WASHINGTON
CLARKE                                                                                                                                       HENRY

SANCHEZ

that's how i see us lining up next year. Clarke may be on CF's left since he is left handed for drive and kick's sake.

I believe that clarke will be impossible to keep out of the starting lineup. It may be a deal where pel lets welsh start the first couple of games for good measure, but clarke will clearly be the better option.

jacksonhawg

I see us being able to wreak havock on defense; Fortson, Henry, and McDonald are all known as extremely tough defenders and put them on the ball in a press and we can have some easy buckets off turnovers. We are going to have to be good up top b/c I don't know how well our post defense is going to be. I still think that we go .500 in conference play at least, the SEC is not going to be very good as a whole this year.

Breems

Maybe my vid could stir a little excitement.  Has clips of a few incomers and some already here. 

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Beaverfever

September 01, 2008, 10:09:04 am #18 Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 10:17:01 am by Beaverfever
Quote from: jacksonhawg on August 30, 2008, 11:23:42 am
I see us being able to wreak havock on defense; Fortson, Henry, and McDonald are all known as extremely tough defenders and put them on the ball in a press and we can have some easy buckets off turnovers. We are going to have to be good up top b/c I don't know how well our post defense is going to be. I still think that we go .500 in conference play at least, the SEC is not going to be very good as a whole this year.
I agree with what you said completely.  This teams best chance at being a good team is going to be from points off turnovers.  I've heard people rave about all 3 of those guys perimeter D.  I also think people are discounting Welsh.  I have always thought he had more upside than PBev and that he fit into Pel's system better.  He had some stretches at the end of last year where he looked like he could turn into an all-SEC type of player.  He has really good athleticism and his long range stroke has done nothing but get better since his arrival.  I really wouldn't be surprised to see him be a 25 min/10-12 point guy this year, particularly with the departure of Beverley.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Beaverfever on September 01, 2008, 10:09:04 am
I agree with what you said completely.  This teams best chance at being a good team is going to be from points off turnovers.  I've heard people rave about all 3 of those guys perimeter D.  I also think people are discounting Welsh.  I have always thought he had more upside than PBev and that he fit into Pel's system better.  He had some stretches at the end of last year where he looked like he could turn into an all-SEC type of player.  He has really good athleticism and his long range stroke has done nothing but get better since his arrival.  I really wouldn't be surprised to see him be a 25 min/10-12 point guy this year, particularly with the departure of Beverley.

i agree about Welsh.  there have been times the last couple season he sparked this team.   i remember Heath saying his freshman year he could turn into a defensive stopper.

Billy

When Welsh plays well, we are tough to beat. Think about the UT game last year. Welsh played lights out.

I think Clarke starts over welsh, but i think welsh gets a belly full of minutes regardless. both guys must produce every night for us.

COCHISE

Quote from: razerbacker on August 29, 2008, 12:33:46 pm
Good points.  Also, with AAU play these kids have been going up against some of the top high school players in the nation for the past few summers, couple that with their regular season play, especially the prep schoolers, and these kids are coming in with a lot more experience against top tier competition than kids would have had several years ago.

berryhog

Quote from: Beaverfever on September 01, 2008, 10:09:04 am
I really wouldn't be surprised to see him be a 25 min/10-12 point guy this year, particularly with the departure of Beverley.

I think he will have to be in this range, plus have some MAJOR contributions from the newcomers to win 20 games.  Hope you're right. 

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Billy on September 01, 2008, 04:14:56 pm
When Welsh plays well, we are tough to beat. Think about the UT game last year. Welsh played lights out.

I think Clarke starts over welsh, but i think welsh gets a belly full of minutes regardless. both guys must produce every night for us.

Welsh is great coming off the bench.  he is a good combo guard that can defend/score which is a good combination for a 6th man.

UKWildcats

Your team should be pretty good and should compete for the top spot in the west.