Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beverly changes his story, may play at UA again...

Started by COCHISE, August 19, 2008, 10:29:26 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cdclark09

Quote from: rzrbkman on August 20, 2008, 01:29:10 pm
No and No and we didn't have automobile driving as a subject at the small University(1,200 students) that I attended. Yes, I got help on homework from a friend where they helped work out the answer to the problem. also, the university that I attended was one in which the same test/test questions were only rotated in/around once every 3-4 years so again there would have been no use of asking another student what was on the test, if I had chosen to do the wrong thing. Contrary to what is portrayed on television, all young people don't drink, do drugs, have sex before marriage and all adults don't do all of the previous mentioned or cheat on their wives, steal from their employer, cheat their fellow man/woman or shy away from responsibility. No one is perfect, everyone makes mistakes but an adult ought to be responsible enough to admit when they were wrong instead of "I made a mistake" when they are caught. 
Well Saint Rzrbkman, you must be one heck of a human being.  Never did anything wrong, never bent any rules.  You must be either naive, stupid, or a liar.  I'm leaning more toward liar.  If I am wrong, then I am very happy for you and I wish there were more people like you.  You are a great human being and should be an example to kids everywhere.  I am however not naive enough to think that EVERYONE has done something 'dishonest.' You want to point out big things like drugs but all 'dishonest' things aren't created equally.  So if a friend comes up to me after a test (that I will take in the afternoon) and he says "make sure you know about ______, its on the test a lot" am I supposed to not take his 'advice' or am I a dishonest bad human for putting a few extra minutes into studying ___?  Now, if you answer that you would not spend that extra study time then I'm going to change my previous statement to you being stupid. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: rzrbkman on August 20, 2008, 11:39:49 am
I'm sure that Patrick Beverly is no different than any other Razorback athlete in that he plays in a sport that needs the financial and spiritual support of Hog fans in order to be a success. However, when he established a 1. pattern of continued media released information about a possible transfer, 2. a possible move to pro basketball, 3. a public statement that he made in admitting he broke NCAA rules and 4. sports talk news that he was a father twice over, he left himself open for public discussion as to whether he currently is serious about wanting to continue in the future as a Razorback basketball player. He created these public news headlines and we buy the tickets so its not at all out of line for us to discuss his continued indecision of where he wants to be right now, as he is a key figure in the basketball program that we support.

He didn't create the headlines..the press did. His life is his business. His choices are his business.

You can talk about it all you want, there's no harm in that, but to say we should encourage him to leave for Europe is stupid.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: chiefsfan on August 20, 2008, 11:23:19 am
It all depends on the rules John Pelphrey set on the basketball team.  Any time a new coach comes in the players are given a list of rules, and possible punishments for those rules.    If pelphrey had a rule that said if you plagerize, youre gone...   then we have to support his decision

Sometimes integrity is more important then winning.   Id much rather go on to life without Beverley, then re-enter this entire Drama again next year, when Fortson and Clarke have a year of experience under their Belts

I have no problem with what Pel's rules are...but for the posters who don't know what those rules are (no one here does), and still want to encourage the kid to go play overseas for whatever he did wrong (since we still, officially, have no idea), I say it's dumb to assume the worst and push for the kid to leave over a week of press-related drama.

Student privacy laws exist for a reason. The press keeps trying to go around them and break a story that laws are supposed to protect. Give the kid a break.

Until we know something, we don't know anything.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: rzrbkman on August 20, 2008, 01:58:49 pm
There would be no headlines unless he created them.

You cannot find a post where I ever encouraged him to leave for Europe.

I didn't say you did. You responded to my post about that subject. Know the subjects before responding.

Fox Sports seems to think they know something..Beverley says they don't. Student privacy laws exist for a reason. The press makes the headlines, yet they don't know anything about Beverley except he can't play this season. This board is full of half-a$$ ideas as to why that is.

So, Pat hasn't done anything other than make himself ineligable for this season and discuss his options with his mother. Any other speculation that comes with that is not Pat's fault.

chiefsfan

My only problem with this thread is that there would be alot on here who would be singing a different tune if this was Stefan Welsh or Micheal Washington who was in trouble, instead of Patrick Beverley
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: hogfan33 on August 20, 2008, 11:42:42 am
Beverly was not the only athlete involved in the "plaigerism"

If this is true, then the University of Arkansas has alot of trouble on its hands.   1 is an accident.  2 is bad luck.  3 is a scandal
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

DrSwineESQ

Quote from: 870 RZR on August 19, 2008, 05:25:04 pm
I agree, but apparently it was bad enough to warrant a season long suspension.

True, but apparently not bad enough to warrant dismissal from the team or the U of A, and that is exactly my point.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: rzrbkman on August 20, 2008, 02:41:15 pm
Patrick Beverly would be the only one who could legally announce that he was dismissed from the university if that was the case.

I'm not sure if that's true. Kevin Trainor has done a few PRs involving players being dismissed I believe.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: rzrbkman on August 20, 2008, 04:47:02 pm
Wouldn't he have to be due to student privacy laws? I mean Pelphrey could announce if need be that he was dismissed from the basketball team as that is not an academic course but if the UA announced a dismissal from the UA that would be no different that if they announced that you or me, as non-athletes, were dismissed from the university.

Student privacy laws only work for current students. If he's been dismissed, he's no longer a student.

cdclark09

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 20, 2008, 04:57:22 pm
Student privacy laws only work for current students. If he's been dismissed, he's no longer a student.
Yes you would be right, he would be no longer a student, but they still apply to discussing his time as a student or the reasons of his dismissal. 

WilsonHog

August 20, 2008, 07:41:05 pm #110 Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 07:43:07 pm by WilsonHog
Would those of you who are, for lack of a better word, defending Beverley take the exact same position if the player in question was a junior with a career scoring average of 2.0 points per game?

Or does your position depend on the fact that even though you couldn't give two sh*ts about Beverley off the court, you are willing to look the other way because of how good he is?

HawgAdvocate

August 20, 2008, 07:52:51 pm #111 Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 08:31:02 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: WilsonHog on August 20, 2008, 07:41:05 pm
Would those of you who are, for lack of a better word, defending Beverley take the exact same position if the player in question was a junior with a career scoring average of 2.0 points per game?

Or does your position depend on the fact that even though you couldn't give two sh*ts about Beverley off the court, you are willing to look the other way because of how good he is?

I'm looking at it from the point that this team really needs him. And for people to want him to go away, over issues they aren't even sure about, is pathetic.

Am I a fan? Yes.
Should we win more games with Pat than without Pat? Yes.
Would I care (as much) if it was a 2.0 PPG reserve? No.

Like I said earlier..Todd Day faced rape charges, Kareem Reid faced on-campus drug charges, and Ron Huery..well, was Ron Huery. But we all loved the fact that they got to come back, despite whatever they had done wrong. I got caught in trouble for plagirism twice while I was at the UofA (only once was intentional - I forgot to cite one sentence in a 12 page paper), and nothing ever happened except I got a warning both times.

So to see Pat getting this much negative reaction, to me, is sad. It's almost as if some of you can't handle the negative press or the uncertainty surrounding it, so you instantly push him away just to be able to stop thinking about it.

cdclark09

August 20, 2008, 08:00:32 pm #112 Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 08:03:15 pm by cdclark09
Quote from: WilsonHog on August 20, 2008, 07:41:05 pm

I have defended most of the student athletes that have done something stupid off the field.  I always think these young men need second chances (but i wont defend repeat offenders) because everyone makes some kind of mistakes including poor decision making.  But one of the issues I have this this PB thing is how quickly people turned on him with even having all of the facts.  Some have a good riddance attitude for a player they probably cheered for as hard as anyone in March.  I think his offense was minor when compared to some of the troubles of current and former football players and their DUI charges.  I maybe wrong but people didn't seem to have the same outcry for that. 
Also, there seems to be a few that appear to be saying they have never done anything wrong.  I'm not buying that at all. 

RebelAt

It's not hard to get through one's educational career without cheating.  I earned every A and every D without resorting to assistance.  This post only in response to the harsh over the top response to the claim by another of doing the same.  Plagiarism is considered perhaps the worst academic violation one can commit.  Cheat on a test, and usually the test will be thrown out and a zero provided.  Steal something and pass it off as your own, yeah, you get slammed.  This is true for virtually any student at any university.

p.s. I do exceed the speed limit on occasion, but comparing that to cheating in academics is orange to apples. ;)

COCHISE

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 20, 2008, 07:52:51 pm
So to see Pat getting this much negative reaction, to me, is sad. It's almost as if some of you can't handle the negative press or the uncertainty surrounding it, so you instantly push him away just to be able to stop thinking about it.

What's sad to me is the fact that he let his teammates down and put them in a position to where they no longer have the returning leading scorer to depend on.  And I'm not "pushing him away", he got himself suspended for the entire year and you expect us to just wait on PBEV until he decides what HE wants to do and then just welcome him back with open arms.  He can go to Europe or S. Florida or wherever the hell else he wants to go, there are plenty of young men that would love to have his scholarship.

WilsonHog

Quote from: RebelAt on August 20, 2008, 08:43:30 pm
It's not hard to get through one's educational career without cheating.  I earned every A and every D without resorting to assistance.  This post only in response to the harsh over the top response to the claim by another of doing the same.  Plagiarism is considered perhaps the worst academic violation one can commit.  Cheat on a test, and usually the test will be thrown out and a zero provided.  Steal something and pass it off as your own, yeah, you get slammed.  This is true for virtually any student at any university.

p.s. I do exceed the speed limit on occasion, but comparing that to cheating in academics is orange to apples. ;)

Agreed. I loved the story a few years ago about the college grad who had his degree taken away after the fact because of plagiarism.

cdclark09

Quote from: RebelAt on August 20, 2008, 08:43:30 pm

My speed limit comparism is in response to the guy that claimed doing anything wrong intentially equated to that person being a dishonest and irresponsible person. I was infact trying to show that even though speeding is intential and illegal, it doesn't mean that person is a bad person for doing it.  I was trying to show that things are on different levels thus the reason things have different forms of punishment.

cdclark09

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 20, 2008, 08:49:10 pm
Agreed. I loved the story a few years ago about the college grad who had his degree taken away after the fact because of plagiarism.
I think one of the Walton granddaughters had her Stanford degree taken away for that. 

IronMountainHog

Also had her name taken off Mizzou's version of BWA. Her parents put up the money for arena and originally had the naming rights and picked their daughter.
Quote from: cdclark09 on August 20, 2008, 09:20:58 pm
I think one of the Walton granddaughters had her Stanford degree taken away for that. 

joeyself

I came up with this original thought this week:

"If you steal from one source, it's called plagiarism; if you steal from 20, it's called research."

JcS (who actually read that somewhere, but can't quote the source, and is counting on the fact that no one will be able to find it, Google being as bad as it is on stuff like that.  ;))
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: 870 RZR on August 20, 2008, 08:43:44 pm
What's sad to me is the fact that he let his teammates down and put them in a position to where they no longer have the returning leading scorer to depend on.  And I'm not "pushing him away", he got himself suspended for the entire year and you expect us to just wait on PBEV until he decides what HE wants to do and then just welcome him back with open arms.  He can go to Europe or S. Florida or wherever the hell else he wants to go, there are plenty of young men that would love to have his scholarship.

Yeah, I expect you to wait because you have absolutely no say in the matter at all.

Did you want Cedric Cobbs' scholarship taken away when he had his head up his a$$ and got busted for drugs?

Did you want Fred Talley to lose his free ride when he had his head up his a$$ and got in a fight on Dickson, thus demolishing a walk-on's face in the process?

Did you want Kareem Reid or C.J. McClain to be dismissed when each was caught smoking out in the dorms?

How about Brandon Holmes or Ken Hamlin, and all their DUIs?

What about Charles Thomas, when he had domestic abuse charges? Were you screaming for his dismissal then too?

Be honest.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 21, 2008, 12:06:59 am
Yeah, I expect you to wait because you have absolutely no say in the matter at all.

Did you want Cedric Cobbs' scholarship taken away when he had his head up his a$$ and got busted for drugs?

Did you want Fred Talley to lose his free ride when he had his head up his a$$ and got in a fight on Dickson, thus demolishing a walk-on's face in the process?

Did you want Kareem Reid or C.J. McClain to be dismissed when each was caught smoking out in the dorms?

What about Charles Thomas, when he had domestic abuse charges? Were you screaming for his dismissal then too?

Be honest.

Yeah they should lose their free rides, if they were not athletes they would have gone to jail or have been sentenced like the rest of society.  Why are these athletes above everyone else because they run fast, jump high, can throw a football, shoot a three, BULLS**T they need to be subject to the same scrutiny as everyone else.  Still it will never happen and the PBev thing we still do not know anything so putting him in the same category as some of the others mentioned is ridiculous.  Until further details emerge no one knows a damn thing so shut up about what you do not know anything about!   
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

junkyardhog

speeding is no comparison to plaigarism. One could result in death the other is making sure some academic gets credited for his work. Apples and oranges indeed.
Mike Williams
'UA 03

Have had the handle junkyardhog since 2002(WP)

COCHISE

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 21, 2008, 12:06:59 am

Be honest.
Had their acts led to a season long suspension....absolutely.

WilsonHog

Quote from: junkyardhog on August 21, 2008, 07:33:15 am
speeding is no comparison to plaigarism. One could result in death the other is making sure some academic gets credited for his work. Apples and oranges indeed.

One is speeding and the other is theft.

If you plagiarize you are a liar and a thief. Plain and simple.

Doesn't mean you need to be beheaded for it.

Just means you are a liar and a thief.

HawgAdvocate

August 21, 2008, 09:44:51 am #125 Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:46:43 am by HawgAdvocate
You're all missing the point.

After each incident, no matter what it was, each player came back to the team eventually. And within weeks of coming back, it was all water under the bridge, and no one cared anymore. We just cheered them all on to victory, because that's what fans do.

Two years ago, Darian Townes walked away from his team in the middle of a game. It doesn't get much worse than that when it comes to team sports. Many wanted him gone. But last season, he was a stud that carried our offense on most nights. I don't recall anyone campaigning last season to have him booted off the team based on what had happened the year before.

In our society, when someone does wrong, they are punished for their actions. When the punishment ends, why should we hold it over their heads any longer? They've done their time. If Bev decides to stick around, and play next year, none of you will be posting about wanting his dismissal from the team once the 2009 season takes shape. So why moan and groan about it now?

HOGLIGULA

HawgAdvocate, while you are right that this is the way things have happened at this university in the past, it does not however, make it right.  The thing is it breeds an ideal that no matter what the crime is just because you are an athlete it is OK, and the fans won't care after a couple of weeks, which is not the best idea for these young men to be learning.
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

cdclark09

Quote from: junkyardhog on August 21, 2008, 07:33:15 am
Quote from: WilsonHog on August 21, 2008, 09:31:31 am
One is speeding and the other is theft.

If you plagiarize you are a liar and a thief. Plain and simple.

Doesn't mean you need to be beheaded for it.

Just means you are a liar and a thief.
I'm sorry I think my speeding comments are being taken out of context here.  The speeding wasn't comparing cheating and speeding, it was meant to prove a point to the poster that (in summation) said that if you do anything intentionally dishonest they you should be judged and labeled that.  I was pointing out that if you speed that is dishonest because it was intentional and illegal.  I was trying to show him as a hypocrite in his reasoning. 

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on August 21, 2008, 12:29:37 am
Yeah they should lose their free rides, if they were not athletes they would have gone to jail or have been sentenced like the rest of society.  Why are these athletes above everyone else because they run fast, jump high, can throw a football, shoot a three, BULLS**T they need to be subject to the same scrutiny as everyone else.  Still it will never happen and the PBev thing we still do not know anything so putting him in the same category as some of the others mentioned is ridiculous.  Until further details emerge no one knows a damn thing so shut up about what you do not know anything about!   

You know the kid with the academic scholarship and is studying chemistry doesn't lose his scholarship for a first time DUI.  Its not school policy, he will go in front of the judicial board and get probation from the school and have to take a alcohol class.   So do you want to punish the student athletes more so it gives the impression that they are treated the same as everyone else?

HOGLIGULA

cdclark09,

I think maybe we are not on the same page here.  Well the problem lies in the fact that it is not up to the school to hand out punishment for the chemistry student, but instead the court system.  However, the athlete must answer to the athletic department as well as the court system, which is why suspensions depending on the act committed should be issued.  No, the athletes should not be punished more than anyone else, but in the same light they should not be given preferential treatment.

cdclark09

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on August 21, 2008, 10:35:22 am
cdclark09,

I think maybe we are not on the same page here.  Well the problem lies in the fact that it is not up to the school to hand out punishment for the chemistry student, but instead the court system.  However, the athlete must answer to the athletic department as well as the court system, which is why suspensions depending on the act committed should be issued.  No, the athletes should not be punished more than anyone else, but in the same light they should not be given preferential treatment.
Yeah its up to the court system to hand out legal punishment for both.  But its up to the university to take away scholarships and that is what the judicial board does.  If the athletic department/ HC decides the player with the DUI can't play for 2 games then he is answering to his punishment, the chemistry department isn't going to suspend the chem student from attending his chem lab for two weeks.  The student athlete is actually receiving more punishment than the chem student.  I know you are going to say 'its not the same thing'  but is it really not the same? You are taking away the activity that the the student athlete earned his scholarship with but for the regular student you don't.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on August 21, 2008, 10:10:33 am
HawgAdvocate, while you are right that this is the way things have happened at this university in the past, it does not however, make it right.  The thing is it breeds an ideal that no matter what the crime is just because you are an athlete it is OK, and the fans won't care after a couple of weeks, which is not the best idea for these young men to be learning.

Are you seriously wanting to champion against injustice in this scenario? You do realize that you're wasting your time don't you? Why not attack the insitituion in this case as well, which tends to breed such behavior with the amentities and spoils they provide to D-1 athletes? If you only knew what goes on the academics side of the many athletic departments, you wouldn't be so quick to blame the kids for taking it for granted.

Just because someone makes a mistake, intentional or not, doesn't mean they deserve to burn at the stake over it. What kind of lesson would he learn if he's booted out, and never allowed to come back from it? He'd go to Europe and make bank, or possibly another D-1 school (which would be crazy not to accept him), and no lesson would be learned here at Arkansas.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 21, 2008, 11:08:45 am
Are you seriously wanting to champion against injustice in this scenario? You do realize that you're wasting your time don't you? Why not attack the insitituion in this case as well, which tends to breed such behavior with the amentities and spoils they provide to D-1 athletes? If you only knew what goes on the academics side of the many athletic departments, you wouldn't be so quick to blame the kids for taking it for granted.

Just because someone makes a mistake, intentional or not, doesn't mean they deserve to burn at the stake over it. What kind of lesson would he learn if he's booted out, and never allowed to come back from it? He'd go to Europe and make bank, or possibly another D-1 school (which would be crazy not to accept him), and no lesson would be learned here at Arkansas.

You jump to conclusions way too quickly, I know what kind of academic help and support the athletes get.  Now everyone makes mistakes I will totally agree with you on that, but the severity of the mistake has to play a role in the punishment.  Also if the mistake is something that can be corrected then yes they should be allowed to return to the team after the punishment is issued.  I will have no problems if PBev wants to play for the hogs after he sits out depending on the nature of his violation.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: cdclark09 on August 21, 2008, 10:58:11 am
Yeah its up to the court system to hand out legal punishment for both.  But its up to the university to take away scholarships and that is what the judicial board does.  If the athletic department/ HC decides the player with the DUI can't play for 2 games then he is answering to his punishment, the chemistry department isn't going to suspend the chem student from attending his chem lab for two weeks.  The student athlete is actually receiving more punishment than the chem student.  I know you are going to say 'its not the same thing'  but is it really not the same? You are taking away the activity that the the student athlete earned his scholarship with but for the regular student you don't.

Alright I knew the extra punishment thing would come up, but last time I checked there is no chemistry team sanctioned by the NCAA at the U of A.  However, there are athletic teams, and since the athlete chose to be a part of the team then the rules for the team must be followed.  If the teams rules are broken then there has to be a punishment, which should be a deterrent from breaking these rules.

COCHISE

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 21, 2008, 09:44:51 am
You're all missing the point.

After each incident, no matter what it was, each player came back to the team eventually. And within weeks of coming back, it was all water under the bridge, and no one cared anymore. We just cheered them all on to victory, because that's what fans do.

Two years ago, Darian Townes walked away from his team in the middle of a game. It doesn't get much worse than that when it comes to team sports. Many wanted him gone. But last season, he was a stud that carried our offense on most nights. I don't recall anyone campaigning last season to have him booted off the team based on what had happened the year before.

In our society, when someone does wrong, they are punished for their actions. When the punishment ends, why should we hold it over their heads any longer? They've done their time. If Bev decides to stick around, and play next year, none of you will be posting about wanting his dismissal from the team once the 2009 season takes shape. So why moan and groan about it now?
All of the examples you have listed as far as kids that have screwed up but eventually came back to their respective programs played under the Frank Broyles era and their situations were dealt with by a Frank Broyles athletic department, not to knock Broyles but maybe the Jeff Long era is not going to be near as lenient or tolerant of such violations.

cdclark09

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on August 21, 2008, 12:13:57 pm
Alright I knew the extra punishment thing would come up, but last time I checked there is no chemistry team sanctioned by the NCAA at the U of A.  However, there are athletic teams, and since the athlete chose to be a part of the team then the rules for the team must be followed.  If the teams rules are broken then there has to be a punishment, which should be a deterrent from breaking these rules.
So you think they should lose their scholarships over a one time offense when none of the other 19k students would if they are on academic scholarship?  But didn't you want the athletes to be treated just like any other student?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: 870 RZR on August 21, 2008, 12:21:25 pm
All of the examples you have listed as far as kids that have screwed up but eventually came back to their respective programs played under the Frank Broyles era and their situations were dealt with by a Frank Broyles athletic department, not to knock Broyles but maybe the Jeff Long era is not going to be near as lenient or tolerant of such violations.

If Beverley hasn't been dismissed by now, which he hasn't, then you shouldn't expect that it will happen. The ball is in his court. He can sign with an agent, or redshirt and hopefully play next year.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: cdclark09 on August 21, 2008, 12:23:19 pm
So you think they should lose their scholarships over a one time offense when none of the other 19k students would if they are on academic scholarship?  But didn't you want the athletes to be treated just like any other student?

Not exactly, extra running, suspension and possibly expulsion from the team are all options it just depends on the nature of the violation. For some reason you have got the idea that I want every athlete to lose their scholarship no matter what the case, which is completely wrong.  Now when it comes to academics yes they should be treated the same as the other students, but they are also part of another group that has a different set of rules that do not apply to the regular student.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 21, 2008, 12:28:16 pm
If Beverley hasn't been dismissed by now, which he hasn't, then you shouldn't expect that it will happen. The ball is in his court. He can sign with an agent, or redshirt and hopefully play next year.

I can finally agree with you it is up PBev on what he wants to do, but it is also up to the university, NCAA, and coach pel to determine if and how he can return to team. 

COCHISE

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 21, 2008, 12:28:16 pm
If Beverley hasn't been dismissed by now, which he hasn't,
He has been dismissed, for the entire year, and I don't think the decision should be in Beverly's court, I think the AD should take his scholarship and give it to another deserving young man, one that goes to class and doesn't cheat.

cdclark09

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on August 21, 2008, 12:32:39 pm
Not exactly, extra running, suspension and possibly expulsion from the team are all options it just depends on the nature of the violation. For some reason you have got the idea that I want every athlete to lose their scholarship no matter what the case, which is completely wrong.  Now when it comes to academics yes they should be treated the same as the other students, but they are also part of another group that has a different set of rules that do not apply to the regular student.
You said it. 

HOGLIGULA

August 21, 2008, 01:07:26 pm #140 Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:13:55 pm by coolhandluke31
Quote from: cdclark09 on August 21, 2008, 12:58:29 pm
You said it. 

Alright  depending on the context of their arrest and the subsequent charges they have allowed themselves to lose their privilege to play college sports. 

By reading here, its clear we don't know really why he isn't playing this year for us.  The kid was our best all around player last year.  Yeah, I know Weems, Weems, Weems, but Weems was a senior and was as off and on as Beverly.  If Beverly sits out this season, stays at Arkansas and if that pays his debt for whatever he did, I would welcome him back.  I doubt he would still be hinting at transferring anywhere, bet he would come back with a serious attitude toward basketball.  The kid has game, something we need if he can offer it without too many strings attached.  For some reason, this website has some posters that just want to argue and confuse.  No matter your position, they want to read into it something stupid.

joeyself

A couple of thoughts:

1.  The notion of passing up a chance to make 6 figures in Europe so he can get a degree is nonsense.  How many jobs right out of college pay that much?  A degree is still going to be available to him after he makes whatever he can make with his basketball talents. 

2.   However, he may not want to be that far from his child (or is it children?, I seriously don't know if there is one or two) during this stage of development.  I watched some home videos of my son last night at age 3 to 6 months, and wouldn't have taken anything for that time.

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

hillhog

Good luck to PB, whatever his final choice be.

jry04

Quote from: joeyself on August 23, 2008, 08:31:34 am
A couple of thoughts:

1.  The notion of passing up a chance to make 6 figures in Europe so he can get a degree is nonsense.  How many jobs right out of college pay that much?  A degree is still going to be available to him after he makes whatever he can make with his basketball talents. 

2.   However, he may not want to be that far from his child (or is it children?, I seriously don't know if there is one or two) during this stage of development.  I watched some home videos of my son last night at age 3 to 6 months, and wouldn't have taken anything for that time.

JcS
Maybe his offers overseas weren't as attractive as he first thought. Sitting out a year to correct some things about his game, and then playing on a much improved team the following year will only give him a great opportunity to improve his stock.