Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The direction of this program is starting to worry me

Started by batmanfan, August 13, 2008, 12:14:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

batmanfan

I really liked the way this coaching staff got off to things...last year we had a great incoming class, Pel's intensity really reengergized the state for basketball and everything looked in place for an easy SEC WEST Championship.

While the team made strides, and even made some improvements they finished a disappointing 9-7 in the SEC and lost WAYYYYYYY to many games than they should have.  The worst example being losing to UGA in the SEC title game, which was a damn embarrassment in its own right.  We didn't even look like we wanted to win the title.  The fact that we have lost to UGA's mediocre to bad teams three times in a row is a sad thing in it's own right.

One thing we all looked forward to was this great 08 class, which I'd rank in the top 10 in the country easy.  I think Fortson, Clarke and Henry can be one of those great groups as I see each as ALL SEC type preformers.  I think Clarke and Moore can be good role players as well.

But there is a problem...2 of those great players aren't even cleared yet.  We have heard all summer it is going to be ok...but still just a week before school starts they still aren't cleared, which is a big worry.  And I didn't even mention the summer "leader" of the team, Pat Beverly, not being able to play.  If we can't bring in Fortson or Henry, it's going to get ugly.  Very ugly.

Which brings me to the class of 09....once looked very promising with names we heard such as Favors, Orton, Stephenson, etc.  They guys laughed at us.  Then we had some guys we thought we had in the bag like Williams and lately in Walton.  Now we are scrambling around for some just to fill out the class.  I think Powell is an awesome player, but it's questionable he'll be the elite down low player we need and plus, like fortson and Henry, his acedemics are a HUGE question mark.

Guys I still like Pel and this staff, but I'm not as sure about this staff anymore.  I know it's early, but I really think it's a time to start showing some concern for the future.  I really don't want to have to wait till the class of '11 to start getting elite players.

BAT 
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

SMOKE

I think everybody is just worried since we lost Williams and Walton. The walton loss seems to have everyone a little more worried because he is an in state guy. Looking at the class Drew is putting together at Baylor doesnt surprise me that Walton is going there, and others have been saying hes been a Baylor lean for a while. They pulled the #1 recruit in the country and after reading other articles it seems Walton is pretty good friends with him and wants to play along side him.  I think Pel is gonna do fine. Everybody is flipping out, but this class can still turn out fine with the like of Powell, Trent and Bush. Dont jump off the wagon this early BAT, PEL is just getting started here. You mark my words, people are gonna flip out, jump off the wagon and start bashing Pel and as soon as he gets it turned around the same people will be praising howgreat he is. It seems to be the norm with most RANTARDS!

Seriously, before we lost these 2 recruits you would think Pel won a title and was bringing us back to the promiseland on this board. All of a sudden people think he sucks, dont you find it a little comical?

SMOKE..... OUT!

RZRBack_FAN

Heaven forbid people quesion Pels ability. You will be labled a bandwagon fan.

Im not so much upset about losing Williams as i am Losing Bev and walton. How do you sit back and let your best player flunk out of school. dont you think maybe he should keep a little closer eye on his players academics. Then turn around and lose probably the best in state point guard we have had in years to freakin BAYLOR.

I like Pel he seems like a great guy. Im tired of hiring good guys i want a BASKETBALL coach who knows how to recruit and win. Mabey Pel can do it maybe not. Its still up for debate. If he doesnt get us to where we want to go we may never get there. We sat back during the last coaching search and watched as Big name coach one after another told us thanks but no thanks. Our once proud program is nothing more than something to do during the winter and spring until football starts.

SMOKE

So its Pels fault that Bev cant handle his grades, has personal problems and fathers kids all over town? I think it blows that BEV isnt gonna be here, hell Bev was prolly my favorite player since Scotty Thurman but i dont think its Pels fault that Patrick cant take care of schit that every other college kid does.Im just sayin give the guy a chance, hes only been here a year. He hasnt even put one of his recruits on the floor yet for the love of God.....When his players step on the floor and we have problems then I dont have a problem with people voicing there opinion, but dont you think its a little early to bash him?

Like i said until we lost these 2 recruits this guy could do no wrong, now hes a sorry recruiter and coach. i just find it a little humorous....

RZRBack_FAN

Foshodo

I'm a fan of Pel till he shows me he can't get it done... he's done nothing that would hint at that yet. losing a 3 star instate recruit doesnt bother me that much beyond him being at a need position. 

Porkatarian

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 13, 2008, 01:33:30 am
How do you sit back and let your best player flunk out of school. dont you think maybe he should keep a little closer eye on his players academics.

That is NOT what happened.   I'm disappointed about losing Williams and Walton, but Pel absolutely did the right thing with the Patrick Beverly situation. 

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

HawgAdvocate

Oh jeez, another fairweather post from Batmanfan. What else is new?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

batmanfan

I wasn't dissing Pel, just stating we have some worrying to do now.  I like the guy, he has great intensity, but some things have happened that have made me question his coaching ability and recuiting ability.

Fact...if Fortson or Henry aren't cleared WE, as a program are screwed the same way we were when Heath first started here.

You can talk about how you have to build up to get top recuits, but this program was a POS when Heath got here and he brought in two top ten prospects in 2 years.  Granted Olu was a bust but no telling how good he could have been had he not been injuried.  If the NBA had the age limit back in 2004 Heath may still be here.  His recuiting methods were questionable, but at least Heath actually went after the big dogs and in some cases got it done.

So for 09 it's looking like we will get a player who has acemdemics troubles in Powell and whoever plan B is.  That doesn't make me happy one bit, and that in no way is going to get us to being an elite program.  We aren't after any studs in '10 either.

Clarke and if Fortson and Henry get here will be GREAT together, but there is going to be a glaring weakneess of an inside game which will stop them from being NC title contenders.  Think Marquette here.

BAT

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

chiefsfan

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 13, 2008, 01:33:30 am
Heaven forbid people quesion Pels ability. You will be labled a bandwagon fan.

Im not so much upset about losing Williams as i am Losing Bev and walton. How do you sit back and let your best player flunk out of school. dont you think maybe he should keep a little closer eye on his players academics. Then turn around and lose probably the best in state point guard we have had in years to freakin BAYLOR.

I like Pel he seems like a great guy. Im tired of hiring good guys i want a BASKETBALL coach who knows how to recruit and win. Mabey Pel can do it maybe not. Its still up for debate. If he doesnt get us to where we want to go we may never get there. We sat back during the last coaching search and watched as Big name coach one after another told us thanks but no thanks. Our once proud program is nothing more than something to do during the winter and spring until football starts.

I have some horribly awful news to report to everyone on here

NOT EVERYONE IN THE STATE OF ARKANSAS HAS A MAN CRUSH ON THE RAZORBACKS.  These kids are going to go where they feel they have the best chance to play significant minutes of big time basketball, and they are going to go where they feel the most comfortable.    Its actually better to play for Baylor because he wont be under the intense scrutiny he would be at Arkansas

And as for Beverley.     Im sure Pelphrey helped him as much as he could, found him a tutor, made sure he attended class and everything else.    He cant take the tests and do the work for him
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: batmanfan on August 13, 2008, 09:37:08 am

Clarke and if Fortson and Henry get here will be GREAT together, but there is going to be a glaring weakneess of an inside game which will stop them from being NC title contenders.  Think Marquette here.

BAT

This sounds pretty stupid BAT.   If you honestly thought we were within 2 or 3 years of a National Title the minute Pelphrey signed on then you were sadly mistaken

This program has to be rebuilt from the ground up...   and its not something you can get done in just a couple years.   Its going to take 7 or 8 consistant good years before we could even consider ourselves a National Title contender.

We have to be able to convince top recruits that Arkansas is where they want to spend their collegiate careers.  But frankly we havent had a top 25 team since a couple years before Nolan Left.   I dont know how we can expect any of those kids to give us the light of day until we start to win
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

newhog

I sure am glad Rotnei didn't think like some of you guys or he would have gone somewhere else.Please never introduce yourself to him he is a smart kid and he will see right thru you and see that you are two faced.He came to Arkansas because of Pel,he knew Coach Self and coach Gillispie and others were car salesmen.Pel is genuine that is what got him here.He can recruit and your not going to get the best all the time.The staff is great and some of those kids going to Baylor and other schools like them are not playing by the books,trust me i know they almost got Willie Warren and it wasn't because of the great basketball tradition.Some of you guys make me sick ,you can't support Arkansas basketball and turn on every little thing.Have you not noticed Pels players aren't causing problems they are still here doing the right thing and 08 will be a great bunch that will make Arkansas proud.We will know about Fortson and Henry by the 25th.Until then support our program or please go to some other program and cause problems.Have your opinions but could you guys please show some support and have some faith until the final word does come out on some things?

HawgAdvocate

Fact...if Fortson or Henry aren't cleared WE, as a program are screwed the same way we were when Heath first started here.

Wrong!!
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

razorhead94

August 13, 2008, 11:19:26 am #13 Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:23:43 am by razorhead94
I wasn't dissing Pel, just stating we have some worrying to do now.  I like the guy, he has great intensity, but some things have happened that have made me question his coaching ability and recuiting ability.

You can talk about how you have to build up to get top recuits, but this program was a POS when Heath got here and he brought in two top ten prospects in 2 years.  Granted Olu was a bust but no telling how good he could have been had he not been injuried.  If the NBA had the age limit back in 2004 Heath may still be here.  His recuiting methods were questionable, but at least Heath actually went after the big dogs and in some cases got it done.

So for 09 it's looking like we will get a player who has acemdemics troubles in Powell and whoever plan B is.  That doesn't make me happy one bit, and that in no way is going to get us to being an elite program.  We aren't after any studs in '10 either.

BAT

Isnt this the same guy that was worried about recruiting in July and then we got Powell to recommitt.  And anyone who is questioning powell's bball ability is a little bit naive...this player is a stud..4 star guy who loves to run the floor.  He is perfect for pel's system.  I agree that losing Walton was big but it's not the end of the world.  We will have fortson here for at least two years and then we will get another pg.  They are already looking at a couple of guys for the '10 class for that spot.  Look it may not look good right now at this moment, but remember this is pel's only 2ND YEAR HERE!  Be patient before talking about how the world is falling over.
And whoever thinks that stephenson and favors were really interested in coming here are a little naive too.  We are not back up to that status of getting mcdonald's AA from across the country in here yet.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

RZRBack_FAN

Why shouldnt we be landing guys like Sthephenson and Favors? If Baylor can land the #1 player in the nation why cant we. If we got to hire someones coach then do it.

Arkansas fans have become the "Wait Till Next Year" champs. Its funny to me that schools like Baylor and Tenn can land the big time studs and we cant.

PorkSoda

Recent events do make me worry a little bit, but its how Pel handles adversity that will determine his success here.  Can Pelphrey get this team to the NIT or the field of 64?  Does he continue to go after top players even after being turned down?  Do his back up plans pan out?  All of this will take time to determine.  Thus while recent events are a bit concerning, I will wait to see how everything plays out before calling for anyone's head.  As of yet he has neither proved nor disproved that he is capable of returning Arkansas to national prominence.  As in any good card game, it is not the cards you are dealt, but how you play them.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

sirhog

I think it takes building relationships with a lot of the top recruits to be able to get them. 2-3 years or more. I was actually surprised by us getting Rotnei because of this. It shows Pel can get some of them. It takes time. He has had to sign some grade risk athletes because of this. Some will make it some wont. In time, I doubt you see him offer guys that arent on track to qualify. I think given time he will produce the results we desire. I think the 2010 and 2011 classes will tell us a lot more about his ability to recruit. One thing is for sure, he never stops working. He wants to win as much or more than us.

mbgrulz

Quote from: newhog on August 13, 2008, 10:22:47 am
I sure am glad Rotnei didn't think like some of you guys or he would have gone somewhere else.Please never introduce yourself to him he is a smart kid and he will see right thru you and see that you are two faced.He came to Arkansas because of Pel,he knew Coach Self and coach Gillispie and others were car salesmen.Pel is genuine that is what got him here.He can recruit and your not going to get the best all the time.The staff is great and some of those kids going to Baylor and other schools like them are not playing by the books,trust me i know they almost got Willie Warren and it wasn't because of the great basketball tradition.Some of you guys make me sick ,you can't support Arkansas basketball and turn on every little thing.Have you not noticed Pels players aren't causing problems they are still here doing the right thing and 08 will be a great bunch that will make Arkansas proud.We will know about Fortson and Henry by the 25th.Until then support our program or please go to some other program and cause problems.Have your opinions but could you guys please show some support and have some faith until the final word does come out on some things?
great post.  I 100% agree.

mhuff

I can't believe that people are so negative about our basketball team. Can you not see the exciting potential that the players on board have? We are finally getting players that can run the floor ,pass the ball, and play some defense. All around players who will show us some basketball we have not seen since Nolan. When Nolan was here he recruited  players whose eligibility we sweated every year,yet when the season started they played defense and scored alot of points on turnovers. So will this team;furthermore the recruits coming from Arkansas in the next few years are high quality players. Let's be positive on this board and not panic. It only hurts our image with other players.

Hoggy1

I'll say this....even with all of the adversity, we are 100x better off in Pels 2nd year than we were during the WHOLLLLLLE Heath era.

Pel is a coach.....if you can't tell, watch him roam the sideline on gameday.
You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

Porky861

Quote from: GiveEmHellPel on August 13, 2008, 06:45:56 pm
I'll say this....even with all of the adversity, we are 100x better off in Pels 2nd year than we were during the WHOLLLLLLE Heath era.

Pel is a coach.....if you can't tell, watch him roam the sideline on gameday.

+1
I agree 100%.  The only way our program can be headed is up.  Pel will prove that he can do better with the so called second tier recruits than Stan did with top recruits that didn't have drive.

Kevin

pel will get it done.  please don't jump back on the bandwagon when it happens.  go root for somebody else.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Razorod

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 13, 2008, 03:48:37 pm
Why shouldnt we be landing guys like Sthephenson and Favors? If Baylor can land the #1 player in the nation why cant we. If we got to hire someones coach then do it.

Arkansas fans have become the "Wait Till Next Year" champs. Its funny to me that schools like Baylor and Tenn can land the big time studs and we cant.
how many years did it take Drew to get to the point where he could sign this player? Once you hire a guy, you've got to give him at least three years. heath got five. the least you can do is give pel three.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Porky861

Quote from: Razorod on August 13, 2008, 09:10:18 pm
how many years did it take Drew to get to the point where he could sign this player? Once you hire a guy, you've got to give him at least three years. heath got five. the least you can do is give pel three.
+1

jgphillips3

It was Nolan's third class that finally had the real talent in it.  Pel has his first real class behind him.  I don't think his recruiting can truly be judged until we see whether he can land the juniors that he started on last year and who won't sign for another year.  If he can't get these guys with three years to build the relationship, then we may have some problems or at least be on a slower track.  However, all sickness is not death...

SMOKE

I have a feeling Charger just likes to be negative to get a response from most on here......

Smithian

We'll be fine you all. Give Pel time. If in 2011 we have another bad summer, then, eh, I'll be worried.

And, guys, if the worst happens and we have to get rid of him(Strongly doubt.) if Pel just keeps us in the tourney if anything these next few years, we can't be half as bad a situation as we were when we hired him in the middle of the Nutt drama and firing Heath is that whole screwed up situation.

Guys, either Pelphrey will swim(Which I think will happen.), or he will sink and we will be in line for an elite coach the likes of Petrino in BBall. We'll be fine. We can't go anywhere but up.

RZRBack_FAN

Im not trying to get a response from anyone.
Keep your mouth shut SMOKE when grown ups are talking.

The only thing i am trying to say is for us to become the elite program we once were we cant lose players like Williams and espeacially a home state kid like Walton. I like Pel and nobody can dig up apost were ive said i dont like him. I cant stress enough how important it is if Fortson or Henry do not qualify. Without a true point guard it will be a long year. Anybody that doesnt think so obviously doesnt know much about basketball.

Razorod

AJ Walton is not considered an elite player. He is not even in Rivals or Scouts top 100. Williams was a hit, but not the end of the world either. More crucial than signing either Walton or Williams, is getting Fortson and Henry eligible, if for no other reason than Fortson and Henry can play this year.

Also, Jenniro Bush would be a very good "back-up" plan. He reportedly can play the 1,2 or 3. Should be one of the top 5 JUCOS in the country and would actually add balance to the class.

razorhead94

Quote from: Razorod on August 14, 2008, 09:07:05 am
AJ Walton is not considered an elite player. He is not even in Rivals or Scouts top 100. Williams was a hit, but not the end of the world either. More crucial than signing either Walton or Williams, is getting Fortson and Henry eligible, if for no other reason than Fortson and Henry can play this year.

Also, Jenniro Bush would be a very good "back-up" plan. He reportedly can play the 1,2 or 3. Should be one of the top 5 JUCOS in the country and would actually add balance to the class.

Bush at the 1..now that's just scarey
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

chiefsfan

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 13, 2008, 03:48:37 pm

Bringing in a coach of a top player is legal, but not really ethical.

and as for Baylor signing the top ranked recruit.  Scott Drew is a very well known name in coaching, he's been at this for a long time and has one of the most famous NCAA tournament wins ever to his credit.    Pelphrey hasnt been coaching long enough to build near the reputation that Drew has

chiefsfan

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 14, 2008, 08:55:48 am

The only thing i am trying to say is for us to become the elite program we once were we cant lose players like Williams and espeacially a home state kid like Walton. I like Pel and nobody can dig up apost were ive said i dont like him. I cant stress enough how important it is if Fortson or Henry do not qualify. Without a true point guard it will be a long year. Anybody that doesnt think so obviously doesnt know much about basketball.

Charger,  a 3 star recruit out of Little Rock Hall was not going to suddenly change the fortunes of our program.   Neither was a player like Williams whom never seemed to show keen interest anyway.

I think alot of us have Darren McFadden/Mitch Mustain Syndrome when it comes to recruiting.   We get so excited when a top player comes out of the state.  But the problem is we often over value that player.   Darren McFadden was the best running back in College Football, but he didnt take our program to a new level.     

AJ Walton isnt even rated among the top players in the country like DMAC and mustain were and some us are upset that we lost some top caliber player.   All we lost was a 3 star point guard who wouldnt have started in his first 2 years here anyway...chill out

Brian the Turrible

August 14, 2008, 11:44:43 am #32 Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 11:48:16 am by passtheball
 Scott Drew is a very well known name in coaching
[/quote]
Actually that would be his dad Homer Drew. His brother Bryce hit the shot to win that game. Scott and Pel are about the same age.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: batmanfan on August 13, 2008, 12:14:01 am
I really liked the way this coaching staff got off to things...last year we had a great incoming class, Pel's intensity really reengergized the state for basketball and everything looked in place for an easy SEC WEST Championship.

While the team made strides, and even made some improvements they finished a disappointing 9-7 in the SEC and lost WAYYYYYYY to many games than they should have.  The worst example being losing to UGA in the SEC title game, which was a damn embarrassment in its own right.  We didn't even look like we wanted to win the title.  The fact that we have lost to UGA's mediocre to bad teams three times in a row is a sad thing in it's own right.

One thing we all looked forward to was this great 08 class, which I'd rank in the top 10 in the country easy.  I think Fortson, Clarke and Henry can be one of those great groups as I see each as ALL SEC type preformers.  I think Clarke and Moore can be good role players as well.

But there is a problem...2 of those great players aren't even cleared yet.  We have heard all summer it is going to be ok...but still just a week before school starts they still aren't cleared, which is a big worry.  And I didn't even mention the summer "leader" of the team, Pat Beverly, not being able to play.  If we can't bring in Fortson or Henry, it's going to get ugly.  Very ugly.

Which brings me to the class of 09....once looked very promising with names we heard such as Favors, Orton, Stephenson, etc.  They guys laughed at us.  Then we had some guys we thought we had in the bag like Williams and lately in Walton.  Now we are scrambling around for some just to fill out the class.  I think Powell is an awesome player, but it's questionable he'll be the elite down low player we need and plus, like fortson and Henry, his acedemics are a HUGE question mark.

Guys I still like Pel and this staff, but I'm not as sure about this staff anymore.  I know it's early, but I really think it's a time to start showing some concern for the future.  I really don't want to have to wait till the class of '11 to start getting elite players.

BAT 

after we beat oklahoma and texas at home, you'll declare Pel the next wooden.

nothing new from the bat.

joeyself

I'm coming to the conclusion that this team is going to go as far as Michael Washington can take them. 

That's got me a bit jittery, frankly.  He's shown flashes of brilliance and then made dumb fouls that had him on the bench again.   If Pel and the staff can make a player out of him, then it takes a lot of pressure off the incoming crew. 

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

RZRBack_FAN

August 14, 2008, 01:08:14 pm #35 Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 01:10:53 pm by ChargerHog
Quote from: chiefsfan on August 14, 2008, 10:23:18 am
Charger,  a 3 star recruit out of Little Rock Hall was not going to suddenly change the fortunes of our program.   Neither was a player like Williams whom never seemed to show keen interest anyway.

I think alot of us have Darren McFadden/Mitch Mustain Syndrome when it comes to recruiting.   We get so excited when a top player comes out of the state.  But the problem is we often over value that player.   Darren McFadden was the best running back in College Football, but he didnt take our program to a new level.     

AJ Walton isnt even rated among the top players in the country like DMAC and mustain were and some us are upset that we lost some top caliber player.   All we lost was a 3 star point guard who wouldnt have started in his first 2 years here anyway...chill out
Yeah who needs  a Top 25 PG those are so overatted. Espeacially since we havent had a true PG since Kareem Reid.  Shawn Williams is a Top 15 SF who we could have used. You must not follow recruiting very closely because he showed a bunch of interest in Arkansas. I may be mistaken but i believe his grandmother lives in or around Fayetville.

Its not the end of the world, but it sure doesnt help us get any closer to being an elite program.

I may be completely wrong but i think this year is going to be a little tougher than some of you think. We couldnt beat Oklohoma with 6 seniors 1 being a 2nd round NBA draft pick. Also Bev is gone so that doesnt help. If Pel has decent success with this team this year he should be SEC coach of the year and that would definately help our climb back to prominence.

RZRBack_FAN

I love the way the guy coaches. It fires me up and makes me wish i could suit up and and hit the court for him. I just hope he can either land the big fish once and a while or take the guys he does get and coach them up and develop them into players that can compete on the elite level.

Im no where near giving up on PEL i am just getting worried about this recruiting class. 2 of the guys we were on have commited elsewhere. Theres still a long way to go until NSD anything can happen.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 14, 2008, 08:55:48 am

I agree it would be a huge loss if CF and JH don't qualify, but I don't think that is Pel's fault.  All he can do is go out and evaluate the best players for his system and try to get them to sign.  I like Pel so far, and I think he is the right coach for our team.  If he proves after a few years he can't hack it,then fine.  Reguardless I think he will get the best out of the players we do have on campus and give us the best shot we can expect to make it to the post season.  We are not on the level where we can expect NC's, but I think sweet sixteen or elite eight in a couple years would be awesome.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

TomasPistola

Quote from: SMOKE on August 13, 2008, 11:41:26 pm
I have a feeling Charger just likes to be negative to get a response from most on here......

Irony.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

opineonswine

Quote from: batmanfan on August 13, 2008, 12:14:01 am

BAT 

relax

Hoggle

The problem is.... we have been so fortunate as Arkansas Razorback basketball fans for 25 years - Eddie Sutton thru Nolan Richardson.  25 years of Hall of Fame head coaching.  I think in that 25 years we came to believe that Arkansas basketball was destined to be great, not matter what.  Well.... average coaching equals average result (see Stan Heath).  Good coaching, I suspect with equal good results.  Hall of fame coaching will get us what we believe we deserve (25 years of Eddie and Nolan). 

So here's the question:  Is John Pelphrey a hall of fame coach?  There aren't that many to go around.  Did we get EXTREMELY lucky with our 6th choice in the coaching search?  A hall of fame coach?  I doubt it.

chiefsfan

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 14, 2008, 01:08:14 pm
Yeah who needs  a Top 25 PG those are so overatted. Espeacially since we havent had a true PG since Kareem Reid.  Shawn Williams is a Top 15 SF who we could have used. You must not follow recruiting very closely because he showed a bunch of interest in Arkansas. I may be mistaken but i believe his grandmother lives in or around Fayetville.

Williams didnt show for Pel's camp and he committed to a school 4 months before the early signing period starts.   Didnt sound like he was too interested

We have a true point guard, his name is Cortney Fortson.  he was the #7 rated PG this class, with one service having him at #2.   We have a 2nd true point guard named Rotnei Clarke.   Losing a 3rd point guard in the next class when he was guranteed to see a lot of bench his first couple years means very very little

RZRBack_FAN

I think its safe to say Rotnie wont play much Point. He is a shooter and will be playing the 2 so he can come off screens and get open shots. Pel didnt bring him in to run the offense he was brought in to stretch the defense with his shooting.

In case you missed it We still dont have Fortson so currently we have 0 true PG's.

chiefsfan

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 15, 2008, 05:43:53 am
I think its safe to say Rotnie wont play much Point. He is a shooter and will be playing the 2 so he can come off screens and get open shots. Pel didnt bring him in to run the offense he was brought in to stretch the defense with his shooting.

In case you missed it We still dont have Fortson so currently we have 0 true PG's.

The only way we dont have Fortson is if the NCAA takes him away from us.   You cant go sign point guards for 09 on the off chance that the NCAA decides to turn one of your current ones down.    There are alot of other point guards better then AJ Walton out there...  if we have to have a point guard, go get one of those

Once again I reiterate, you cant sign every player you recruit.  and if I had a choice id much rather lose walton then trent or Bush

RZRBack_FAN

I definately want Bush. Trent seems like a project. He is an athletic freak but he doesnt like to bang down low. Ill take him though and hopefully Pel can develop him into a banger.

Razorod

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 16, 2008, 05:10:08 am
I definately want Bush. Trent seems like a project. He is an athletic freak but he doesnt like to bang down low. Ill take him though and hopefully Pel can develop him into a banger.
i'd be happy with bush and borden. a third player might be the iranian sf.

hawaiianhogster

Did you notice how badly these Razorback fans talked smack about the local boys especially on the football team? If I were a local prospect I would look elsewhere too. Until you freaks stop bashing on our players it will take a long time and alot of winning to attract the best. Good luck to Pel for being caught in the middle of all this stuff.

The disappointing team was mostly made up of whose recruits? Not Pels that's fo sure.

Stop following recruiting if you can't handle it. The sky is not falling nor will it if we can't get every single top home recruit.

Let Pel work his magic. By his fourth year we should be bringing in the recruits by winning. Be patient.

The Hog

I think Pel needs two years.  After that then I will worry if things have not improved.  It is not easy being a college coach today.  If he misses two years on recruiting and it will hurt.  This class has yet to play one game at Arkansas.
Automatic RUN!

stronguard

How quickly people forget the shortcomings of last years senior laden team.  A team recruited by, coached (in the loosest sense of the word) by and befriended by STANLEY.  If they played a big name team they got hyped, if they played a nobody they sank to that level.     I know they won a tourney game.  But down the stretch when we were playing for seeding they coasted. 

This is the year the clock starts ticking on Pel for me.  Let's see how much he's taught the kids who are coming back.  How the incoming players mesh with the returning ones?  Do we show more discipline, more hustle, more heart  than our opponets.  Can we make a dang free throw? 

Its possible to see improvement from one year to the next even if the record doesn't show it.  I think we'll see a better brand of basketball. 
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Hogimus Prime

everything will be alright.   no need to sound the fire alarm yet.

Pel will do fine.   i'd rather Pel sign a versitle guy like Bush than a guard like Walton.  nothing against Walton, but in Pel's system it works best when you have 6'6" and 6'7" swingmen trapping then a 6'1 guard.  (see early 90's Nolan and early 2000's Nolan)