Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AJ Walton Commits to...

Started by AFB1919, August 12, 2008, 10:26:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AFB1919

All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen. --Ralph Waldo Emerson

forrest city joe

Quote from: AFB1919 on August 12, 2008, 10:26:06 pm
Baylor

http://baylor.scout.com/a.z?s=44&p=2&c=778792

http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154001

Reading that makes me sick. im getting tired of losing out on top players.is it time to go Juco only for this year's class? looks like most of the top HS players are commited elsewhere.

RZRBack_FAN

Arkansas is a second rate program. We have got to learn to accept that.

When in state kids dont want to play for the razorbacks thats when you know your program is second tier.

Its hard for me to except but you will feel better after you do.

After the Beverly news and the fact that Walton, Williams, and Gulley have decided they dont want to be hogs ive just become uninterested in Hog basketball. We are so far from what we use to be its crazy.

forrest city joe

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 12, 2008, 11:22:45 pm

When in state kids dont want to play for the razorbacks thats when you know your program is second tier.

After the Beverly news and the fact that Walton, Williams, and Gulley have decided they dont want to be hogs ive just become uninterested in Hog basketball. We are so far from what we use to be its crazy.
I do not agree. and will never except being a second rate program.but something is wrong with the basketball recruiting.

cobra kai

So I guess you're just gonna jump back on board when we start winning?  Not much of a fan are you?  I'm as excited about this team as I have been for a long time, even with Beverly leaving (although i admit that is a huge blow to the team and I will miss seeing him play).
I like Pel and what he is doing with this team, and I'm also happy with the new guys we have coming in this year. 

You never know what's going to happen with recruiting, and there are still guys out there who haven't committed.

Hogginitall

Congrats on signing with the 6th-10th best team in the Big XII!

RZRBack_FAN

Im a huge fan but how can you be excited right now. We lost Bev, Fortson nor Henry have been cleared yet. Just not alot to be excited about right now.

I never said i wasnt a fan im just really uninterested because of all the bad news here lately.

Hogginitall

Really hasn't been a lot of really bad news lately, except for the Beverley "incident".  We got Powell to recommit, both Fortson and Henry have been said to be good to go (although, I won't believe it until I see it), and everyone else is on campus and practicing (not to mention looking good).  We'll be fine.

RZRBack_FAN

Hope your right.

The day before the the Beverly news came out pel said everyone did great in summer school and everyone was ready to go. Next day Beverly is ruled eniligible. So forgive me when i say i wont believe Fortson and Henry are OK until the clearinghouse says so.

Billy

Quote from: ChargerHog on August 13, 2008, 04:20:53 am
Hope your right.

The day before the the Beverly news came out pel said everyone did great in summer school and everyone was ready to go. Next day Beverly is ruled eniligible. So forgive me when i say i wont believe Fortson and Henry are OK until the clearinghouse says so.
I think he was being truthful when he said that. I believe it was PB's past that caught up to him, not anything he did recently.

newhog

Maybe the kids in Arkansas are wanting to leave because they get tired of hearing not all but a lot of the fans seem to turn so quickly when they should be standing behind the program instead of bit***** about all the problems they think are there.

HawgAdvocate

August 13, 2008, 09:22:39 am #11 Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:24:22 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: newhog on August 13, 2008, 08:13:53 am
Maybe the kids in Arkansas are wanting to leave because they get tired of hearing not all but a lot of the fans seem to turn so quickly when they should be standing behind the program instead of bit***** about all the problems they think are there.

All programs have fairweather fans... Baylor has their fair share I'm sure, especially after being so bad for so long. Baylor is recruiting very well in scenarios where they normally wouldn't have been considered in years past.

One thread with a couple of dissapointed posters doesn't come close to representing the Arkansas fan base. Don't get it twisted.

Besides, we should have braced ourselves for this the minute both Fortson and Rotnei signed on the dotted line. Now that both Walton and Gulley are going elsewhere, we can focus on swingmen and bigs to balance the depth chart.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Beaverfever

August 13, 2008, 09:30:22 am #12 Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 09:32:16 am by Beaverfever
Hopefully we can save face with this class and close with Trent and Bush.

chiefsfan

Take a look at the last 2 top instate recruits that we've lost.   James Anderson and AJ Walton.

Neither player is guranteed to make a splash at the college level, neither was a 5 star commit, and neither was going to bring us a National Championship

But if they had signed with Arkansas, there would be a good number of fans who would thoroughly expect 20PPG out of both, and at worst an overall SEC title in 3 years, and alot would be talking about our National Title run.      Its our own unrealistic expectations that hurt our program just as much as its own struggles.   I still remember the day Heath was hired.   At least 30 people called into the same sports talk show and predicted a National Title in 5 years.     The exact same thing happened with Pelphrey, though it was tapered a bit because of the altman disaster

Why on earth would Anderson or Walton want to play for Arkansas under crazy unrealistic pressures from Fans and media, when they could go to schools like Baylor or OSU, and basically play off the radar for a few years.   Heck anything Walton does at Baylor for the next few years is going to be looked at as "unexpected" on the National level, when in the eyes of alot here, it wouldnt be good enough
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

cobra kai

Newhog,
There are fans like that all over the country, but there's not as many here as it seems.  When something bad happens, they just start coming out of the woodwork wanting to blame somebody for it.
About the whole Beverly situation - a lot of people were a little offended this past spring when he was apparently looking to transfer to USF.  Now with the latest news, some people here take it that he was never really committed to this team.  I don't know what happened, but I have heard just the opposite about his attitude this summer from different sources, so I was shocked when I heard he wasn't playing.
As for me, I'm excited about our new players and the direction this program is headed, so I'm not really worried about all the recruits who might not be playing for us in the future.

hog_fan

Newhog is just bitching because we ran his hero the dork out of the state.

cobra kai

Quote from: hog_fan on August 13, 2008, 11:22:31 am
Newhog is just ****ing because we ran his hero the dork out of the state.

wrong.
and newhog is not the one doing all the *****ing.

PorkSoda

Maybe Walton wanted to be the man, and not second behind Fortson.  Also we may have been a little behind in recruiting Walton.  We didn't even have a schollie available for him until Beverly left.  As many said before, the numbers work themselves out.  We have some very good guards and swingmen coming in.  We will be fine.  This just means Pel will have to work a little harder, and Pel has never been afraid of hard work.  I'm not worried, I'm excited and anxious for Basketball season to finally start. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

oldfart

i think many of us are holding our breath on fortson and henry..  there will be a big sigh of relief whenever they finally get cleared.......

Hogginitall

Quote from: oldfart on August 13, 2008, 12:30:25 pm
i think many of us are holding our breath on fortson and henry..  there will be a big sigh of relief whenever they finally get cleared.......

Exactly.  If Fortson is declared ineligible, I will see this as a much bigger loss.

newhog

Nobody ran him out of anywhere it was his decision to leave.He could have stayed.Yeah and that dork had more rebounds than even a 7ft. guy and he is 6'1,yeah thats a dork.

cobra kai

Quote from: newhog on August 13, 2008, 02:07:56 pm
Nobody ran him out of anywhere it was his decision to leave.He could have stayed.Yeah and that dork had more rebounds than even a 7ft. guy and he is 6'1,yeah thats a dork.

I know you're probably not as familiar with our recent football drama, so i'll just tell you the "dork" he's talking about is our former football coach Houston Nutt.  He now referred to as the "dork" after a quote from a certain former QB.

chiefsfan

well that one just sailed right over your head...
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

RZRBack_FAN

I guess im the only that remembers a time when we had recruits beating down our door to play here. A time when we where a Top 5 program. When a in state kid would drool over the chance to be a Razorback.

Peter Venkman

Quote from: cobra kai on August 13, 2008, 02:37:35 pm
I know you're probably not as familiar with our recent football drama, so i'll just tell you the "dork" he's talking about is our former football coach Houston Nutt.  He now referred to as the "dork" after a quote from a certain former QB.

I long for the time when people don't know who "the dork" is.

porky_teh_pig

This kid wanted out of the state of Arkansas, more power to him and I hope he becomes a star.  Baylor is really gaining a lot of attention lately, they must have a good coach.

We only want players that want to be Razorbacks.  We don't want recruits that decide after a year or two they want something else.
Carry a big stick and leave a big trail

hawgsav1

Good lord...losing Walton and Williams are blows, but it isn't the end of the Razorback basketball program.  We lost on two guys who didn't want to be Hogs.  There are plenty of great players in the 2009 class that we can get.  It's Pelphrey's second f*cking year and people are b*tching and ready to bail on him.  Good god.  I can bet you now that Walton committed to Baylor (I have no idea why, but maybe he wanted to back up John Wall for a year or two, who knows) other players will be interested in the Hogs.  We still have Jenirro Bush and we still have guys close by like Xavier Henry in OKC (who Pelphrey hasn't offered yet) but is close by or other players.  Calm down...
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Hogginitall

are you saying that you think we would have a chance to sign henry if pel offers?  i very, very seriously doubt that.  i still love pel as our coach, though.

hawgsav1

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 14, 2008, 08:34:25 pm
are you saying that you think we would have a chance to sign henry if pel offers?  i very, very seriously doubt that.  i still love pel as our coach, though.

No, I was just saying that there are other fish in the sea close by.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

razorburn

the coach at baylor is a slime ball.  banned from coaching in Texas public high schools by UIL (texas' AAA).  banned b/c he was caught changing transcript info.
Baylor basketball needs to be seriously investigated.....again.  this makes me sick. :razorback:

ARBaylorFan

Razorburn:  Can you substantiate your post?  According to Head Coach Scott Drew's bio, he has never coached at the high school level, let alone in Texas.  Here is the link to his bio.

http://baylorbears.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/drew_scott00.html

BTW, I am a native Arkansan who has been impressed with Pelphrey.

HogMavFan

Are you an [CENSORED] idiot?? How do you say we are a second rate program in basketball. Historically we are one of the top 15 programs in the country. What has Baylor ever done in Basketball. Stuff just happens in recruiting sometimes and we had some bad luck with the Beverley situation but I wouldn't trade places with Baylor for anything.

chiefsfan

Quote from: HogMavFan on August 14, 2008, 10:51:34 pm
Are you an [CENSORED] idiot?? How do you say we are a second rate program in basketball. Historically we are one of the top 15 programs in the country. What has Baylor ever done in Basketball. Stuff just happens in recruiting sometimes and we had some bad luck with the Beverley situation but I wouldn't trade places with Baylor for anything.

I certainly wouldnt want to be Baylor.  But at this very minute in the college basketball world.  Arkansas is in the 2nd tier of schools

Historically, no, we are a top team historically.  But not many recruits care to pull out their history books when it comes to signing with a school

Hogginitall

Quote from: chiefsfan on August 15, 2008, 12:02:23 am
I certainly wouldnt want to be Baylor.  But at this very minute in the college basketball world.  Arkansas is in the 2nd tier of schools

Historically, no, we are a top team historically.  But not many recruits care to pull out their history books when it comes to signing with a school

Well, then, Baylor is 34th tier and yet they're pulling in top recruits left and right.  Something doesn't seem right.

razorburn

ARBAYLORFAN........check your pm

Billy

NH, i hope as a new hog fan that you'll not get bogged down in all of the negativity from a few in the "vocal minority". Get out to a football game and you'll see the beautiful side of Razorback Athletics. i said go to a FB game b/c it is right around the corner, and you probably will get to sit back and take it all in moreso than at a bkb game.

mhuff

First, A.J. Walton's name is not on the dotted line yet. Second, is he that highly rated or is everyone upset because we were rejected? I have faith in Pel. I think he is doing fantastic under the circumstances. After all there has been a mass exodus through graduation.etc. I don't think these new players will play like freshmen. All of them have excelled in AAU ball. There are alot of positives - our big guys,Moore & Clark, are putting on weight and getting stronger.We're just in a lot better shape than many think. As far as recruiting is concerned. Think about it recruiting wasn't even that hot after we won a national championship and runner up. Nolan mentioned shoe companies placing pla yers, and there are just some schools that are paying players. In our case when Pel gets his system in place and wins; they will come. Likewise, football is the same story. Just enjoy.                     

OKhogfan1959

I have seen the kid play..Twice is not a lot. But, he's not that big of a recruit. He could never beat out Fortson! Never!
That is probably the reason. Just not that high caliber of a recruit to go into a rage about.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: mhuff on August 24, 2008, 09:06:11 pm
First, A.J. Walton's name is not on the dotted line yet. Second, is he that highly rated or is everyone upset because we were rejected? I have faith in Pel. I think he is doing fantastic under the circumstances. After all there has been a mass exodus through graduation.etc. I don't think these new players will play like freshmen. All of them have excelled in AAU ball. There are alot of positives - our big guys,Moore & Clark, are putting on weight and getting stronger.We're just in a lot better shape than many think. As far as recruiting is concerned. Think about it recruiting wasn't even that hot after we won a national championship and runner up. Nolan mentioned shoe companies placing pla yers, and there are just some schools that are paying players. In our case when Pel gets his system in place and wins; they will come. Likewise, football is the same story. Just enjoy.                     

Exactly.  All a verbal commitment does is tell all the other schools who they've gotta beat to sign the kid.  There is nothing binding to it at all.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

pitbull1

I'm excited for this season!!!  These kids are going to be fun to watch!!  As ar as other recruits, I bet Pel has got other recruits on the line.  Have faith in him, just wait to see what happens!!