Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Beverley leaving hoops team (link)

Started by The Hog Blogger, August 08, 2008, 06:05:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SLC

Losing PBev is not good, no other way to spin it.  I enjoyed watching him play.  I hope he finds what he needs to be successful. 

That said, we will have to adapt w/out him. 
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

Porkatarian

Quote from: newhog on August 09, 2008, 08:11:55 am
You guys talking crap on Pat don't have a clue what is going on.You don't turn on someone when they make a mistake,especially a kid.He brought it for 2 years and he was reallly trying to straighten up his past just caught up with him.If you had been around him at all you would have seen that.All some of you are doing is making the Arkansas program look bad and you are adults.Let it go it is over.Hope he gets everything worked out for himself and don't forget what he has done for the university.You would be impressed with how much he has changed.Dogging him isn't doing anybody any good.Don't make Arkansas fans look bad let it go.

Once again, newhog is right on the money with his info.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

SLC

Quote from: Porkatarian on August 09, 2008, 11:17:29 am

Once again, newhog is right on the money with his info.

Porkatarian out...

Except, Patrick Beverly is not a kid.  If someone is old enough to vote, he or she is not a kid.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

newhog

And they still make mistakes.Then let's put it like this.Pat is a young adult and young adults make lots of mistakes.SLC you forgotten what it is like to be young?

I am back on here and still we really don't know the details of why Mr. Beverly will not play for the Hogs in 08/09.  I don't even know if that defines two full seasons or just this upcoming season.  He was an execellent player and should have gotten even better.  Maybe he wanted to leave, maybe he had to leave, maybe he did something wrong, who really knows.  I am certian this will hurt the quality of this years team, he was the hardest working player on average on our team last year and one of the top two overall.  I hope he speaks up and defines what happened.  It seems the University doesn't plan to explain this, preferring to hide behind the privacy laws.  It would have been easy to say he was not elgible for next season or left for personal reasons, but we get this vague media bite, nothing more. 

SLC

Quote from: newhog on August 09, 2008, 12:45:24 pm
And they still make mistakes.Then let's put it like this.Pat is a young adult and young adults make lots of mistakes.SLC you forgotten what it is like to be young?

I was on my own when I was that age.  Sure I made mistakes and had to overcome them.  He is not a minor, he is old enough to know what he is doing and live with the repurcussions.

It is up to him to use this (all experiences for that matter) as an opportunity to learn and improve.  I hope this is not a situation that will hound him the rest of his life. 

I wish him the very best.

SLC

Quote from: 12247 on August 09, 2008, 01:09:59 pm
I am back on here and still we really don't know the details of why Mr. Beverly will not play for the Hogs in 08/09.  I don't even know if that defines two full seasons or just this upcoming season.  He was an execellent player and should have gotten even better.  Maybe he wanted to leave, maybe he had to leave, maybe he did something wrong, who really knows.  I am certian this will hurt the quality of this years team, he was the hardest working player on average on our team last year and one of the top two overall.  I hope he speaks up and defines what happened.  It seems the University doesn't plan to explain this, preferring to hide behind the privacy laws.  It would have been easy to say he was not elgible for next season or left for personal reasons, but we get this vague media bite, nothing more. 

yep, I hope it is nothing too serious.

Porkatarian

Quote from: SLC on August 09, 2008, 11:22:29 am
Except, Patrick Beverly is not a kid.  If someone is old enough to vote, he or she is not a kid.

I made a LOT of dumb mistakes when I was that age.   I guess I'll agree to disagree with you.   Beverly has yet to begin his junior year of college.  He's still a kid in my book - and I wish him the best.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

newhog

SLC he will overcome them also he just doesn't need everyone dogging him.He has payed the ultimate price,stardom at a huge basketball school and he knew he was going to go pro.Who knows now.A little compasssion would be nice.I love to get on here,i am proud to be involved with Arkansas basketball.Don't be like some of the other sec schools and turn on your own first chance you get.He knows he made a mistake,you think he doesn't get on here and look as do the other kids.Let him deal with this without people making him feel worse than he already does.

otishog

Quote from: Porkatarian on August 09, 2008, 04:00:12 pm
I made a LOT of dumb mistakes when I was that age.   I guess I'll agree to disagree with you.   Beverly has yet to begin his junior year of college.  He's still a kid in my book - and I wish him the best.

Porkatarian out...

Good Point.  Most people make dumb mistakes when they're that young.  It's part of growing up. 

It is nice to know that so many people out there never made any mistakes and all of their decisions were perfect.  I don't know how you all put up with the rest of us.

Conway Hog

this really hurts us...I too felt he gave it his all each time he was on the court...I wish him the best
The  democracy will cease to exist when you take away from  those who are willing to work and give to those who would  not.
Thomas Jefferson

The  tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the  blood of patriots and  tyrants.
Thomas  Jefferson

butterface

Quote from: Porkatarian on August 09, 2008, 04:00:12 pm
I made a LOT of dumb mistakes when I was that age.   I guess I'll agree to disagree with you.   Beverly has yet to begin his junior year of college.  He's still a kid in my book - and I wish him the best.

Porkatarian out...

In a sense, we are all kids--still learning how to live in this world.  Whatever the circumstance behind his leaving, I'll miss seeing Beverly in a razorback kit.  I won't write off any new season, but I did enjoy watching him play ball.

SLC

Quote from: newhog on August 09, 2008, 04:26:15 pm
SLC he will overcome them also he just doesn't need everyone dogging him.He has payed the ultimate price,stardom at a huge basketball school and he knew he was going to go pro.Who knows now.A little compasssion would be nice.I love to get on here,i am proud to be involved with Arkansas basketball.Don't be like some of the other sec schools and turn on your own first chance you get.He knows he made a mistake,you think he doesn't get on here and look as do the other kids.Let him deal with this without people making him feel worse than he already does.
Hold on newbie. 

Where was I "dogging" him? 

I just pointed out that he is not a kid.  He can enter contracts, get jobs, vote, make decisions for himself, etc.....  You and everyone on here who protects or defends him as being "a kid" are really saying he is not responsible or capable to taking care of himself.  Do you really believe that? 

He won't stop making mistakes, just like I won't stop making mistakes or anyone else here.  Mistakes are not only made by kids, adults (myself included) make them all the time. 

I hope and pray he does well.  It is just a game, he will have many more important things in his life than playing ball.   

I suspect PBev overcomes this setback and it makes him smarter and stronger.   

If you do not see where I am coming from, I apologize for not being more clear.  I guess we just have different points of opinion, and that is good. 

Best to everyone,

SLC

bessiehog

Will miss him...Adds depth to the team

LamarMundane

What?
Major, major loss. Beverly was an all-SEC caliber player. Scoring, but incredible rebounding for his size, with some steals and assists.
He was terrific as a freshman, then teams knew about him and focused on shutting down his shot last year since we had no other reliable 3-pt shooter. I was looking forward to the offense opening up again adding Clarke, along with Welsh to balance the perimeter shooting again.

The thing that ticks me off about this, if anything, is, who saw this coming? Wasn't Pelphrey quoted just yesterday in the paper as saying he expected no problems with the qualifiers? That by all indications the summer school sessions went well? Didn't he have a clue about Beverly? Maybe he didn't. I don't really understand what just happened here. And I'm also surprised that with the way people like to speculate and rumormonger on the internet that someone with some 'inside info' didn't post that this might be coming. If they did, I missed it.

LamarMundane

Oh yeah. Considering how this shocker came completely out of left field, anyone who is counting on Fortson and Henry already better step back. We were just assured all was well in the paper yesterday by none other than the head coach, then our best player is gone the next day.

I'll believe Fortson and Henry are ready only when it's official.

Billy

You're right on newhog. +1

Hopefully, he'll bounce back. i really hope he lands somewhere where he can get paid to play. He seems to love the game enough to make it.

i remember how pumped i was when he committed to us over Michigan.

Razorbuck

Did you watch many games last year?  There were a couple of stretches where he was just out of it.  I would say that off the court distractions were a big part of it.  I know we will miss him but we can and will go on without him.  I too think that one of the young guns will step up, just as Patrick did in his freshman year.
Quote from: baconblizzard on August 08, 2008, 07:05:26 pm
All he did was go 100% all the time. We will miss him this year, but I have confidence in our team.
Now let's go win a Championship!

neahog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on August 08, 2008, 06:32:31 pm
You guys are going to be surprised how much we are going to miss him this year.  With the graduation of Weems, Townes, and the ineligibility of Beverley...just who do we have that is a proven scorer at the college level.

We're going to miss Beverley.
Agreed. WHen we we found out that Payne wouldn't be able to play everyone seemed to think it wasn't a big deal. Now this. People are down playing the effect of not having Beverly too. I think there are a bunch of kool aid drinkers on here. This is not good.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

JoePaul03

Does anyone know exactly what happened? I don't want anyone's dirty laundry aired in front of God and anyone with a computer, if the situation is personal or something like that, but this came from so far out of the blue that I'm still in shock, and I wish we had more details.
Whatever the story, I really wish P-Bev the best. He did struggle at times last seaon, but you could tell when he was struggling with his shot and offensive game, he tried to make up for it by busting it on defense and crashing the boards. I really respect how hard he plays, and whatever the deal is, I hope he gets himself straightened out.

To everyone bashing him...give me a break. Yeah, PB is responsible for his own decisions, but he hadn't even started his junior year in college and he's living hundreds of miles from home. He shouldn't be "let off the hook" for anything, but let's cut him some slack and have a little empathy.
WCOB, 2003

Boarcephus

Quote from: JoePaul03 on August 10, 2008, 04:56:09 am
Does anyone know exactly what happened? I don't want anyone's dirty laundry aired in front of God and anyone with a computer, if the situation is personal or something like that, but this came from so far out of the blue that I'm still in shock, and I wish we had more details.
Whatever the story, I really wish P-Bev the best. He did struggle at times last seaon, but you could tell when he was struggling with his shot and offensive game, he tried to make up for it by busting it on defense and crashing the boards. I really respect how hard he plays, and whatever the deal is, I hope he gets himself straightened out.

To everyone bashing him...give me a break. Yeah, PB is responsible for his own decisions, but he hadn't even started his junior year in college and he's living hundreds of miles from home. He shouldn't be "let off the hook" for anything, but let's cut him some slack and have a little empathy.

In the demozette this morning in an article written by Bob Holt, ESPN.com and CBSSports.com report that Beverly won't play this season due to grade issues.   It indicated that he could use this season as a redshirt year (a remote chance) or explore his pro options.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

HawgAdvocate

August 10, 2008, 08:39:07 am #121 Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:43:45 am by HawgAdvocate

We have a system in place at the UofA that shouldn't allow for this to happen. D-1 atheltes, who don't make grades, have no one to blame but themselves. He's had multiple academic issues, and it appears he's never taken advantage of the fact that all he had to do is make a minimal effort.

He had special tutors, note-takers, and academic planners at his disposal that regular students don't have access to. And I won't even get into the gray areas that are involved with the academic areas of the Athletic Department that he could/should have used.

Someone made a valid point earlier. He had no business playing against Lebron and Paul when he should have been back here doing his due dilligence. Pat knew for quite a while he was in big trouble with his grades. Part of it is Pelphrey's fault for not making sure his guy was taking care of business, part of it has to be Heath's fault for not setting a better tone when Beverley was brought in, but the heavy burden of blame falls on Pat for thinking he didn't have to apply himself in the classroom. His major is criminal justice, which is well known for being a cake-walk for our guys. 

He is a great player, and we'll be much worse without him, but I feel no compassion for him. He's been given so many chances, and so many opportunties to succeed, and he still knowingly dropped the ball. If he doesn't respect the process, why should we give him pity?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

BigSexyHog

Heard Ch 11 had a report saying he was going to Europe to play?  I didn't see it, but got a text on it.  Anyone else see this or confirm?
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

The Hog

Quote from: BigSexyHog on August 10, 2008, 12:17:01 pm
Heard Ch 11 had a report saying he was going to Europe to play?  I didn't see it, but got a text on it.  Anyone else see this or confirm?
I heard he is considering his options and Europe is one of the options.
Automatic RUN!

hview

August 10, 2008, 02:29:21 pm #124 Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 02:49:51 pm by hview
This hurts the team big time, someone will have to step up their play to fill this spot. I have nothing negative to say about Patrick. I just wish him the best. He will be sorely missed.   

The Realist

Maybe the Lebron James Skill Camp went to his head when he took on Chris Paul
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

ThreeHogNight

Guys we just lost our best player/scorer.  This is bad.

Brownie Tuggle

Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on August 08, 2008, 06:30:37 pm
We will be fine without him....

That's wishful thinking. Patrick Beverly was a All-SEC performer. This guy came into the SEC as a Freshman on fire! Sorry he's leaving for whatever the reason. I wish him well where ever he ends up. Good Luck Pat!!!!

The Hog

Quote from: ThreeHogNight on August 10, 2008, 03:32:33 pm
It is definitely something Pel did not want to happen.  You can bet on that.  Yes it will hurt immensely but the team and coaches have to pull together more than ever.  They have to grow up fast and get ready for the SEC.
Automatic RUN!

opineonswine

Quote from: The Hog on August 10, 2008, 05:45:10 pm
It is definitely something Pel did not want to happen.  You can bet on that.  Yes it will hurt immensely but the team and coaches have to pull together more than ever.  They have to grow up fast and get ready for the SEC.

Exactly.  Not the end of the world.

razorzapp

Quote from: ThreeHogNight on August 10, 2008, 03:32:33 pm

We lost our best RETURNING player/scorer.  I think a few of the guys coming in would have challenged for that title anyway.

hawgdevildawg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 10, 2008, 08:39:07 am
We have a system in place at the UofA that shouldn't allow for this to happen. D-1 atheltes, who don't make grades, have no one to blame but themselves. He's had multiple academic issues, and it appears he's never taken advantage of the fact that all he had to do is make a minimal effort.

He had special tutors, note-takers, and academic planners at his disposal that regular students don't have access to. And I won't even get into the gray areas that are involved with the academic areas of the Athletic Department that he could/should have used.

Someone made a valid point earlier. He had no business playing against Lebron and Paul when he should have been back here doing his due dilligence. Pat knew for quite a while he was in big trouble with his grades. Part of it is Pelphrey's fault for not making sure his guy was taking care of business, part of it has to be Heath's fault for not setting a better tone when Beverley was brought in, but the heavy burden of blame falls on Pat for thinking he didn't have to apply himself in the classroom. His major is criminal justice, which is well known for being a cake-walk for our guys. 

He is a great player, and we'll be much worse without him, but I feel no compassion for him. He's been given so many chances, and so many opportunties to succeed, and he still knowingly dropped the ball. If he doesn't respect the process, why should we give him pity?

Great post.  I like Patrick as a player, and I'll miss watching him, but if he can't (or won't ) meet academic requirements with all the help available, then he shouldn't be at the university much less on the team.
"Don't worry I'm sure I can struggle my way out of this. I'll just pull my legs out with my hands. And now I'll pull my arms out with my face."--Homer Simpson

SLC

Quote from: hawgdevildawg on August 10, 2008, 09:57:00 pm
Great post.  I like Patrick as a player, and I'll miss watching him, but if he can't (or won't ) meet academic requirements with all the help available, then he shouldn't be at the university much less on the team.

Watch out man.  You are stepping over the line.  PBev was a player and you cannot say anything that might (however illogically) be construed as a criticism of him.  Don't you know how bad Arkansas fans are?  This just proves it. 

ROFL!

chiefsfan

Going to be alot of growing pains this next season.  But the good news is that Clarke and Fortson will get alot of minutes, meaning alot of time to adjust to the speed and talent level in time for their sophomore seasons and beyond
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hawgdevildawg

Quote from: SLC on August 10, 2008, 10:06:05 pm
Watch out man.  You are stepping over the line.  PBev was a player and you cannot say anything that might (however illogically) be construed as a criticism of him.  Don't you know how bad Arkansas fans are?  This just proves it. 

ROFL!

Yeah, I'm sure mine won't be the popular opinion.  Honestly, though, if Charles Shackleford could stay eligible at NC State, then I'd say any of our players who want to be eligible can find a way to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Shackleford

"Shackleford is sometimes remembered for telling a reporter after an NC State basketball game that 'I can shoot with my left hand, I can shoot with my right hand, I'm amphibious'."
"Don't worry I'm sure I can struggle my way out of this. I'll just pull my legs out with my hands. And now I'll pull my arms out with my face."--Homer Simpson

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: hawgdevildawg on August 10, 2008, 10:42:16 pm

"Shackleford is sometimes remembered for telling a reporter after an NC State basketball game that 'I can shoot with my left hand, I can shoot with my right hand, I'm amphibious'."

That is priceless

newhog

SLC got your feelings at your fingertips?

BleednRed87

Some of you guys have to truly be the dumbest in Arkansas. These people saying we don't need him or it doesn't hurt are really annoying and probably the same Springdale group of morons who think Rakestraw is worth a crap and that Sanchez is the second coming.

Bev was a great player for us and he will be missed on the floor for sure.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ThreeHogNight

hawgsav1

Quote from: maumellebyrd on August 08, 2008, 06:14:41 pm
He should be good in math class

One baby + One baby = Two babies

more like one baby + one baby = lots of child support :D
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

SLC

Quote from: newhog on August 11, 2008, 10:20:29 am
SLC got your feelings at your fingertips?

Huh?
You want to talk about feelings?  You were the one on here crying about how everyone was being too tough on poor Patrick Beverly.

neahog

Of course this will hurt, but such is life. I agree, if he couldn't make the grades then he does not deserve to be here. I wish him luck though.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." -Winston Churchill

ProfusionalHog

I hope he can pull himself back together again.  Good luck Bev.

cosmodrum

Everybody relax. The sky is not falling. Of course this a blow to the team, but it doesn't look like it could be helped by other than Beverley himself. I was a big fan of this kid, but I can move on. And the folks on here that act like this doesn't hurt are most likely dealing with this in the manner that many dudes do when they are dumped by a girl they really like.

Ex. "Ah frick 'er. Who needs that ho?!"

Go away, batin'

Brownie Tuggle

Quote from: razorbrass on August 08, 2008, 08:49:54 pm
I think Patrick believes he is NBA material.  Maybe he can join Olu if he is lucky.

Typical BS Hog fan! So you want him to fail because he's not coming back to Arkansas. You sir are a hater!!!

Hogginitall

Quote from: Brownie Tuggle on August 12, 2008, 02:03:40 pm
Typical BS Hog fan! So you want him to fail because he's not coming back to Arkansas. You sir are a hater!!!

Where did he wish failure upon Beverley?  I don't see it.  Besides, you don't have any room to talk about wanting former Hogs to fail in their endeavors (hmmmmm.........Matt Jones).

doublewidehog

August 13, 2008, 11:16:14 am #147 Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:18:53 am by doublewidehog
Quote from: jimmur74 on August 08, 2008, 06:11:22 pm
Sounds like he is Academically Ineligible to me

too bad 

Brownie Tuggle

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 12, 2008, 02:12:15 pm
Where did he wish failure upon Beverley?  I don't see it.  Besides, you don't have any room to talk about wanting former Hogs to fail in their endeavors (hmmmmm.........Matt Jones).

Matt Jones failed on his own, Cocaine and leaving school are two very different things. I've never wished Matt Jones to fail. But I have been very critical of his failures. I've wished Matt Jones the best. But I also knew the guy was a head case.

sirhog

I don't know if it has been asked yet, but doesnt anyone know if there is a possibility of him coming back for the 2009-2010 season?