Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Team Canada-Famutimi

Started by koreaben, July 16, 2008, 06:35:08 am

Previous topic - Next topic

koreaben

Just saw Olu Famutimi playing for Team Canada against South Korea on TV.  Didn't know he was from Canada originally.  Didn't watch much of the game though.  Korean announcers can be VERY annoying.
Representing the Hogs in a VERY anti pig country.

Razorbackmedic

If you can prove you heritage you can play for any country that your family came from. So if his, say, great-grandparents were citizens he can play for them.

koreaben

The roster says he is from Toronto. 
Representing the Hogs in a VERY anti pig country.

razerbacker

Was thinking he played highschool ball in canada.

RZRBack_FAN

July 18, 2008, 12:18:22 am #4 Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 06:39:35 am by ChargerHog
Im pretty sure he played high school ball in Flint Michigan. I do think he has canadian ties though.

razerbacker

Your right, he went to highschool in Michigan, but was born in Toronto.

oldfart

he grew up in canada and transfered to michigan i think about his junior year in high school. so he is born and bred canadian. yes, there are a lot of black canadian citizens. 

Garden Hog

They play basketball in Canada?  I think Canada I think hockey.  Well, good for him.

canadianhog

Hey garden hog... look up the history of basketball and see where it was invented.. you might be surprised!

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Cooper on July 17, 2008, 07:25:45 pm
There are black people in Canada?

You obviously don't get out much.  Take a trip to Toronto and see how many black people there are in Canada. 

kingoftherapids

Quote from: Razorbackmedic on July 17, 2008, 12:42:43 pm
If you can prove you heritage you can play for any country that your family came from. So if his, say, great-grandparents were citizens he can play for them.

In a way, we are all from other countries... if i knew i couldn't play for the US then i would probably say, "my great gramps is from ireland, and he is cool so i will play for them"

Hogs_fan_for_life

There is an American woman playing for a European team. I don't think she has ties to the country, could be wrong though. There are probably more occurrences than we think with major Olympic sports. If the US gets their spots filled I can see another country asking a good athlete in whatever sport to come compete for their country. 

kingoftherapids

Yea, she is playing bball for the Russians... I would try and trace my ancestors to someone other than the Russians...

Garden Hog

Quote from: canadianhog on July 18, 2008, 11:26:40 am
Hey garden hog... look up the history of basketball and see where it was invented.. you might be surprised!

You were correct didn;t know he was Canadian, but basketball could even go all the way back to the Mayans at the same time.  Except back then they play ed naked and I think you were sacrificed if you didnt win. 

Beaverfever

Quote from: Garden Hog on July 21, 2008, 03:23:12 pm
You were correct didn;t know he was Canadian, but basketball could even go all the way back to the Mayans at the same time.  Except back then they play ed naked and I think you were sacrificed if you didnt win. 
Sounds like a typical pickup game where I come from.

Garden Hog

Quote from: Beaverfever on July 21, 2008, 03:24:40 pm
Sounds like a typical pickup game where I come from.

Hopefully coed  :O

oldfart

there are many recent examples of U.S. people who have been on olympic teams from other countries, usually can show that parents or grandparents came from there.  was some guy on the greece team recently as i recall, and a pro BBall player (Chris Kaman?) recently qualified for the german national team as his grandparents were german.  shawn bradley was actually born in germany and played on their national team (for what good it did them). But back to the original post Famutimi was brought up in Canada and moved to michigan in high school...

Wahls

Quote from: Cooper on July 17, 2008, 07:25:45 pm
There are black people in Canada?

I know a black guy from Canada.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

ledhead830

July 30, 2008, 12:28:50 am #18 Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 12:35:27 am by ledhead830
Quote from: Garden Hog on July 18, 2008, 10:54:46 am
They play basketball in Canada?  I think Canada I think hockey.  Well, good for him.

Steve Nash

Quote from: Hogs_fan_for_life on July 20, 2008, 04:19:36 pm
There is an American woman playing for a European team. I don't think she has ties to the country, could be wrong though. There are probably more occurrences than we think with major Olympic sports. If the US gets their spots filled I can see another country asking a good athlete in whatever sport to come compete for their country. 

I believe she obtained citizenship to Russia last year.

As for other sports, in soccer, players play for different countries from which they are born all the time. Guiseppe Rossi, for instance, was born and raised in New Jersey but his parents are from Italy and he plays for the Italian U-21 soccer team and will likely get a nod up to the senior team sometime in the future.
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,
Walk on. Walk on with hope in your heart,
And you'll never walk alone. You'll never walk alone.

The Boar War

I saw him play against the United States the other day.  The announcers acted like he was developing into a pretty good European player.

songofthesword

hell didn't Olujiawan (whatever) play cetner for the dream team?

East Clintwood

Quote from: songofthesword on August 02, 2008, 09:04:32 pm

David Robinson and Patrick Ewing were the Dream Team centers.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

ledhead830

Quote from: East Clintwood on August 06, 2008, 07:00:40 am
David Robinson and Patrick Ewing were the Dream Team centers.

Olajuwon played for USA in 1996.
Walk on through the wind. Walk on through the rain.
Though your dreams be tossed and blown,

PowderedToastMan

Quote from: songofthesword on August 02, 2008, 09:04:32 pm

Olajuwan didn't have his US citizenship yet.
WOOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE!!!