Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poll: Should BWA court be named for Nolan Richardson?

Started by BadHog, January 30, 2008, 12:27:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Should Bud Walton Arena court be named for Nolan Richardson?

Yes
918 (72.1%)
No
355 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 1178

Voting closed: February 13, 2008, 12:27:15 pm

OTTER

BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Throwback1

I'd feel like I feel if he was white, green or whatever.  That issue, for me, is totally irrelevant.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

softballguy8

Quote from: The Marmot on January 30, 2008, 12:36:05 pm
Honor them? Yes, of course.

Rename the court? Hell no.

I agree .... we should have honored them 4 years ago.
Coach Petrino ... Welcome to Arkansas!

FayettenamVeteran

Quote from: ThisLittlePiggie on January 30, 2008, 01:26:20 pm
Yeah, nobody but Nolan could have accomplished that. Too bad about the size of his head and the size of the race chip sitting on his shoulder. Or maybe he swallowed it and increased the size of his ego to bursting proportions. Notice how he has had all kinds of job offers at major basketball factories since his ourburst?

What does that tell you?

Nobody did accomplish that but Nolan at the UA.  Why?  Because he won, he won conference titles, he went to Final Fours, he won it All.  

His offers or lackthereof likely stem from his not wanting to forfeit his check from the UA.  I wouldn't want to give that and daily golf up as I'm sure Nolan doesn't.  That's what that tells me.

If Nolan were white most all of his detractors wouldn't be detractors.  Regardless of what he said or did, IMO as right or wrong as it may be.

spudhog

this shouldn't be a discussion. he was the reason it was built.

go hogues

Absolutely.  HE is the only ONE who has won a NON-disputed national championship in a major sport at UA.  If it can be "Frank Broyles Field" than it should most definitely be Nolan Richardson court.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

BartIV

Nolan brought us a National Championship and took us to another.

He deserves a statue on every corner of that university.

AckaBacka

January 30, 2008, 02:57:17 pm #57 Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 02:59:12 pm by AckaBacka
Quote from: Throwback1 on January 30, 2008, 02:22:04 pm
Nolan turned on me, first. 
Are you a turd or an azzhole?

The Marmot

Quote from: go hogues on January 30, 2008, 02:50:05 pm
Absolutely.  HE is the only ONE who has won a NON-disputed national championship in a major sport at UA.  If it can be "Frank Broyles Field" than it should most definitely be Nolan Richardson court.

It shouldnt be Frank Broyles Field either.... and 2 wrongs dont make a right.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

bkjacks

Only if he brings in the tanks and choppers! He darn in his nest at UA, as far as I am concerned. I loved Nolan as a coach, but he made me hate him in the end.

Tripod1

Nolan outlived his welcome by about 2 years.  He did great things for the Hogs but in the end he sunk his own boat and that in itself does not deserve more than honoring him along with the NC team at halftime of some game in the near future.

HognotinMemphis

If Nolan is now contrite, good for him. He can rest easy and be at peace with himself.

As for naming anything after him just because his team won an NC, that's a proposition that deserves some cogitating rather than flippantly answering, "yeah" to the question above just because it was 6 years ago that Nolan was fired and it's arbitrarily time to "let bygones be bygones".

He says now that he intended no disrespect to the fanbase when he made statements about the fanbase and about how he perceived he was treated by Broyles and the U of A administration. In the end, Nolan made his own bed by calling fans "redneck SOB's."

http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2002/0301/1343512.html

"Joe Kleine, a former Arkansas and NBA player who does color commentary on Arkansas broadcasts, said the school was hurt by Richardson's comments and by his release."His leaving will hurt recruiting, but what he said Monday hurt it too. It was a no-win situation," said Kleine, who played at Arkansas from 1983-85. "You hate to see it happen to someone who has done so much for the program."

Nolan did a good job for the first 11 years and for the last 6 was declining every year in his results and efforts. It ended poorly thanks to Nolan and only Nolan. You don't get to keep your job in coaching if you do not meet expectations. He wanted a lifetime pass at Arkansas after winning the NC in '94. Does not work that way...you have to continue to make the effort in coaching and in recruiting and Nolan certainly did neither based on watching him during games (he rarely left his seat during timeouts) and based on his recruiting in the last 7 years. He even said he was "selecting" rather than "recruiting".

After considering this idea, I think Nolan would be better served in making a statewide apology for:

his lawsuit against the U of A;
being so beligerant toward the fanbase;
the way he treated the sportswriters who covered him
for his outbursts about being mistreated by the U of A when he was the highest paid person in the entire U of A sytem, making over $1 million per year.

After he does that, all parties can say, "thanks for the memories". Naming anything after Nolan is not appropriate given the way he acted, given the way he coached the last 7 years at Arkansas and given that he filed a racial discrimination lawsuit, that he lost, against the U of A.

I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

termite

Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on January 30, 2008, 01:18:39 pm
And it would have been as full of people as Dogpatch is now if not for Nolan.  Nolan's style of play and on the court accomplishment made Bud Walton feared.  It's not be the same since.  I have reservations if we'll ever see that again, although I hope Pelphrey can do it.    

Nolan is the real winner and fighter that Dale could have only aspired to be.  

Nolan fought the Law and the Law won.  Since then, look at what that Law brought us.  Years of Stan Heath.  A bungled hire of Altman.  The Golden Handcuffs and Parachutes of Nutt.  Not to mention the incubation and insulation of The Dale from his deserved just scrutiny.  Chased the tee shirt and banner crowd to try and mute their free speech.  Nolan was right about the lot of them.

He's a man that has done more for others than any handful of posters in this thread have ever done for others...I'm guessing here but am confident I'm right.  

At a minimum the 94 team deserves to be recognized with Nolan as a prominent part of any recognition.  Appropriate action would be to name the court after him he deserved and earned it.  

An arena without a soul is just another building.  He gave Bud it's soul, one it's yet to regain.

He does have his faults and missteps, we all do.  

I wish he'd run for Governor of Arkansas.  I chair his campaign and would even contribute money in RootHog's honor.  8)  
+ 1

bd93

cj_sez

Please don't hail Sutton as the saving grace. As he crawled to Kentucky, he left very little behind him. Richardson had to rebuild the team, while coping with the death of his daughter at the same time. He recruited and devised 40 minutes of hell to thrill us all. The OMayDay era gave us a look at his ability to coach. The NC team punctuated it. Nolan brought excitement to UA bball to an all-time greatest level.
It is naive to think there wasn't any "good ol' boy" favoritism on the hill and that Nolan never came out on the short end of the stick because of it. The end of era came shamefully, but blame the PTB as much or more.
He has spoken well of the state and the people and it is time to honor his achievements.
Name the court after him, and give the man the respect he did earn.

Throwback1

Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on January 30, 2008, 02:48:25 pm
Nobody did accomplish that but Nolan at the UA.  Why?  Because he won, he won conference titles, he went to Final Fours, he won it All.  

His offers or lackthereof likely stem from his not wanting to forfeit his check from the UA.  I wouldn't want to give that and daily golf up as I'm sure Nolan doesn't.  That's what that tells me.

If Nolan were white most all of his detractors wouldn't be detractors.  Regardless of what he said or did, IMO as right or wrong as it may be.
If Nolan was white, he'd of been fired way before he dared 'em to pay him and let him go.
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

spudhog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 30, 2008, 03:23:03 pm
If Nolan is now contrite, good for him. He can rest easy and be at peace with himself.

As for naming anything after him just because his team won an NC, that's a proposition that deserves some cogitating rather than flippantly answering, "yeah" to the question above just because it was 6 years ago that Nolan was fired and it's arbitrarily time to "let bygones be bygones".

He says now that he intended no disrespect to the fanbase when he made statements about the fanbase and about how he perceived he was treated by Broyles and the U of A administration. In the end, Nolan made his own bed by calling fans "redneck SOB's."

"Joe Kleine, a former Arkansas and NBA player who does color commentary on Arkansas broadcasts, said the school was hurt by Richardson's comments and by his release."His leaving will hurt recruiting, but what he said Monday hurt it too. It was a no-win situation," said Kleine, who played at Arkansas from 1983-85. "You hate to see it happen to someone who has done so much for the program."

Nolan did a good job for the first 11 years and for the last 6 was declining every year in his results and efforts. It ended poorly thanks to Nolan and only Nolan. You don't get to keep your job in coaching if you do not meet expectations. He wanted a lifetime pass at Arkansas after winning the NC in '94. Does not work that way...you have to continue to make the effort in coaching and in recruiting and Nolan certainly did neither based on watching him during games (he rarely left his seat during timeouts) and based on his recruiting in the last 7 years. He even said he was "selecting" rather than "recruiting".

After considering this idea, I think Nolan would be better served in making a statewide apology for:

for his outbursts about being mistreated by the U of A when he was the highest paid person in the entire U of A sytem, making over $1 million per year.

After he does that, all parties can say, "thanks for the memories". Naming anything after Nolan is not appropriate given the way he acted, given the way he coached the last 7 years at Arkansas and given that he filed a racial discrimination lawsuit, that he lost, against the U of A.

same joe that stated on an arsn broadcast that one of nolan's teams sucked. not sure joe loves nolan that much:)

Throwback1

The fact that mature, supposedly educated and reasonable adults try to equate what Nolan did for the University with what FB did for the University is absolutely mind-boggling, and more than a little scary.

cthog99

Quote from: darth sooie on January 30, 2008, 12:53:55 pm
No. I wouldn't name the court after anybody since i hate how it looks with person's X name on the court, see G.Tech...don't think the pig would look as good. I think nolan should get a statue outside the arena and welcome him back into the program.

it doesn't have to be on the court. providence named their court after dave gavitt. it's on the endlines so when you are watching a game, you can barely see it

Bigfoot

Quote from: CalHog on January 30, 2008, 02:19:17 pm
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!

Eddie Sutton is the person responsible for reviving the Arkansas basketball program.

Nolan continued to build what Eddie started.

It was named Bud Walton Arena for a reason and it should stay that way.

Too many of you kids only know about the last 10 years.  Do a little research so you will know the entire story.
The name of the arena will not change. Its the court that has no name, that we are talking about here. Eddie Sutton did a wonderful job, but Nolan did more! IMO.

hogchick26

Nolan deserves to have some sort of permenant recognition, either it be the court, or a statue. Yes, he sued the university, but, after seeing what has transpired over the past two years with the athletic department and the university, his lawsuit doesn't seem out of line. We could safely say, Nolan saw in 2002, what we saw this year. A dirty adminstration.

On the racial aspect of this all, we know what era Frank Broyles grew up in, so we know darn well, that he has not just said a hateful epithat "one time". And we know what era Nolan grew up in, and to hear yourself being called such hateful names, and being treated less of a person simply because of the color of your skin, can make a person grow harden, and defensive. He wasn't call the fans a redneck sob, he was calling Frank a redneck sob. His cup had runneth over. A person can only handle so much, and they explode with words we really don't mean. Maybe Nolan is racist, as some of you like to mention on here. But we have court records of Ole' Frankie's one time slip up.

Some have said, "Nolan let me down". Can we argue that Frank let us down his last 4 years on the job?

The team is long overdue for recognition, and Nolan, with his undisputed NC, deserves to have the court named after him. If a "kinda" racist, old coach, whose national championship is only recognized in Arkansas, can have the football field named him, then it is only fair for the same for Coach Richardson.

This is simply my opinion.
It's a new day in Razorback Nation! Go Hogs!

hogchick26

Quote from: Throwback1 on January 30, 2008, 03:37:11 pm
If Nolan was white, he'd of been fired way before he dared 'em to pay him and let him go.
Doubt that, i.e. Houston Nutt.

Throwback1

You are forgetting alot of nolan's fits over the years, too.  He, thanks to FB, was the highest paid state employee ever, and then you also want to sue him for discrimination.  If that wasn't so frickin' stupid it would be laughable...oh, and by the way..newsflash..HE LOST!

hogchick26

Quote from: Throwback1 on January 30, 2008, 03:56:57 pm
You are forgetting alot of nolan's fits over the years, too.  He, thanks to FB, was the highest paid state employee ever, and then you also want to sue him for discrimination.  If that wasn't so frickin' stupid it would be laughable...oh, and by the way..newsflash..HE LOST!
Well, we just thank our lucky stars that the great Frank Broyles had the foresight and basketball knowledge to hire a coach that brought the University of Arkansas a REAL national championship. Oh, thank you Frank! Thank you, thank you , thank you!

kgr

Actually I think it should named after his daughter who died from leukemia.

stlouiesooie

Quote from: Throwback1 on January 30, 2008, 02:46:12 pm
I'd feel like I feel if he was white, green or whatever.  That issue, for me, is totally irrelevant.

And I am as solid in my support as you are in your opposition.  Again that issue is irrelevant for me as well.  I believe he is truly deserving.

Throwback1

Quote from: hogchick26 on January 30, 2008, 04:05:38 pm
Well, we just thank our lucky stars that the great Frank Broyles had the foresight and basketball knowledge to hire a coach that brought the University of Arkansas a REAL national championship. Oh, thank you Frank! Thank you, thank you , thank you!
exactly

hogchick26

Quote from: kgr on January 30, 2008, 04:07:00 pm
Actually I think it should named after his daughter who died from leukemia.
That's a great idea! If the UofA is not too greedy, they could even on one particular night, donate all concessions to a Cancer Foundation, or St. Jude's.

FayettenamVeteran

Quote from: hogchick26 on January 30, 2008, 04:10:51 pm
That's a great idea! If the UofA is not too greedy, they could even on one particular night, donate all concessions to a Cancer Foundation, or St. Jude's.

Best post of the thread.  +10.  

Throwback1

Emotions have taken over all these Nolan threads.  Nolan was not discriminated against, and the courts have so ruled, therefore he was wrong to file the lawsuit.  That isssue is closed.  As far as reconciling and naming the court after Nolan, I got no problem with that, and that decision isn't mine to make, above my pay grade.  I don't hate Nolan, and was always a huge supporter until he blew up and dared to be paid so he could leave, leaving the administration no choice at that point.  But if Nolan is willing to put aside the bitterness and get rid of that chip on his shoulder and come back into the fold, personally, I'd love to see it.  What has pushed me over the edge on this topic is this crappola about Nolan being right and using other more recent issues in some attempt to justify that statement.  That is simply wrong, and intellectually fraudulent.  He sued for discrimination at a time when he was the highest paid state employee in the history of this state, and he was the highest paid state employee in this history of this state because FB said he should be, period.  He sued, he lost, he appealed, he lost, he was wrong, not right, no matter how some try to spin it today.

boarbuttocks

No, don't name it after Nolan.  Nolan let his emotions and pride get the best of him.  He is mellowing now but the damage was done, make no mistake about it.

stchane

January 30, 2008, 04:34:23 pm #81 Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 04:42:10 pm by stchane
Quote from: FayettenamVeteran on January 30, 2008, 02:48:25 pm

Quote from: hogchick26 on January 30, 2008, 03:53:40 pm
Nolan deserves to have some sort of permenant recognition, either it be the court, or a statue. Yes, he sued the university, but, after seeing what has transpired over the past two years with the athletic department and the university, his lawsuit doesn't seem out of line. We could safely say, Nolan saw in 2002, what we saw this year. A dirty adminstration.

On the racial aspect of this all, we know what era Frank Broyles grew up in, so we know darn well, that he has not just said a hateful epithat "one time". And we know what era Nolan grew up in, and to hear yourself being called such hateful names, and being treated less of a person simply because of the color of your skin, can make a person grow harden, and defensive. He wasn't call the fans a redneck sob, he was calling Frank a redneck sob. His cup had runneth over. A person can only handle so much, and they explode with words we really don't mean. Maybe Nolan is racist, as some of you like to mention on here. But we have court records of Ole' Frankie's one time slip up.

Some have said, "Nolan let me down". Can we argue that Frank let us down his last 4 years on the job?

The team is long overdue for recognition, and Nolan, with his undisputed NC, deserves to have the court named after him. If a "kinda" racist, old coach, whose national championship is only recognized in Arkansas, can have the football field named him, then it is only fair for the same for Coach Richardson.

This is simply my opinion.

Agreed fellas

I would be willing to bet that the same people who hated Stan Heath, and are turning on Pel, are the same ones that don't think that Nolan should have the court named after him.  Those of you who think that this lawsuit was frivolous don't know stuff from shinola. 

A frivolous lawsuit is dismissed by the trial court.  This case went to the 8th Circuit Federal Court of Appeals.  Don't believe me, look it up.

Richardon v. Sugg 448 F.3d 1046

It was also alot closer than anyone thinks.  If you don't think Nolan recruited from 1995-2002, consider what happened.  Jesse Pate and Sunday Adebayo (sp?) both got sanctioned by the NCAA wrongfully.  Sunday actually came back to school after that and played.  Jesse Pate was a player btw.  Lets see, also during this time were Pat Bradley, Kareem Reid, and Derek Hood.  I think we did pretty decent with those guys. 

When Nolan was fired, we had Andre Iguodala committed to come here.   He's averaging 20 PPG in the NBA this year, and was a standout at Arizona.  We also won the SECT for the 1st AND ONLY TIME in 2000.  Explain that detractors. 

I'm not gonna argue that Gomez, Satchel, Eddins, and that bunch were All-Americans.  As a matter of fact, I absolutely hated that group.  And guess what Stan Heath haters, those are the guys he inherited.  He started from scratch.  But thats another story. 

We all know that the PTB played favorites.  Are you gonna hold that against Nolan still?  Nolan was right people.  There is no possible way to explain getting rid of Stan Heath and retaining HDN in the same year after Heath took us to 2 consecutive NCAAT.  Am I glad SH is gone?  I think we're better off for it.  However, that should tell you how good of a coach Nolan was.  There wouldn't have been butts to put in the seats of BWA if it weren't for Nolan. 

He damn sure didn't get a raw deal, but he also did what he thought was right; and you people are holding that against him.  Just because the court ruled against doesn't mean that he wasn't (legally) justified in bringing it.  Would you want people holding it against you when all you did was what you thought was right?  He deserves to have his name on the court IN ADDITION to a statue. 
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

hogchick26

Quote from: stchane on January 30, 2008, 04:34:23 pm
Agreed fellas

I would be willing to bet that the same people who hated Stan Heath, and are turning on Pel, are the same ones that don't think that Nolan should have the court named after him.  Those of you who think that this lawsuit was frivolous don't know stuff from shinola. 

A frivolous lawsuit is dismissed by the trial court.  This case went to the 8th Circuit Federal Court of Appeals.  Don't believe me, look it up.

Richardon v. Sugg 448 F.3d 1046

It was also alot closer than anyone thinks.  If you don't think Nolan recruited from 1995-2002, consider what happened.  Jesse Pate and Sunday Adebayo (sp?) both got sanctioned by the NCAA wrongfully.  Sunday actually came back to school after that and played.  Jesse Pate was a player btw.  Lets see, also during this time were Pat Bradley, Kareem Reid, and Derek Hood.  I think we did pretty decent with those guys. 

When Nolan was fired, we had Andre Iguodala committed to come here.   He's averaging 20 PPG in the NBA this year, and was a standout at Arizona.  We also won the SECT for the 1st AND ONLY TIME in 2000.  Explain that detractors. 

I'm not gonna argue that Gomez, Satchel, Eddins, and that bunch were All-Americans.  As a matter of fact, I absolutely hated that group.  And guess what Stan Heath haters, those are the guys he inherited.  He started from scratch.  But thats another story. 

We all know that the PTB played favorites.  Are you gonna hold that against Nolan still?  Nolan was right people.  There is no possible way to explain getting rid of Stan Heath and retaining HDN in the same year after Heath took us to 2 consecutive NCAAT.  Am I glad SH is gone?  I think we're better off for it.  However, that should tell you how good of a coach Nolan was.  There wouldn't have been butts to put in the seats of BWA if it weren't for Nolan. 

He damn sure didn't get a raw deal, but he also did what he thought was right; and you people are holding that against him.  Would you want people holding it against you when all you did was what you thought was right?  He deserves to have his name on the court IN ADDITION to a statue. 

Great post! Hard to dispute when you back it up with a case file. Awesome! +1

Throwback1

I liked Stan, and I am behind Pel 100%..pay up.  By the way, how much money did Nolan win in that lawsuit?  I forgot.

stchane

Quote from: Throwback1 on January 30, 2008, 04:39:40 pm
I liked Stan, and I am behind Pel 100%..pay up.  By the way, how much money did Nolan win in that lawsuit?  I forgot.

The more appropriate question is how much Scott Varady got paid from the University for defending that lawsuit.  Oh yeah, and a plaintiff who brings a frivolous Title VII claim has to pay attorneys fees.  So although he might not have gained a dime, he still costs the University and made them justify their actions. 
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

hogchick26

Quote from: Throwback1 on January 30, 2008, 04:39:40 pm
Just because he lost the lawsuit, doesn't mean that he didn't experience discrimination. I'm having a hard time following your arguement...

hawgfandude

Quote from: Albert Einswine on January 30, 2008, 01:03:02 pm

I think the lawsuit achieved its purpose.  It exposed JFB and John White for the LIARS they are and shone the light of day on the way things worked under their control.

History has been revised,  satisfactorily,  in my mind. 

At the time it happened I was as pissed about it as anyone.

Now,  I'm glad Nolan did what he did.

What he said!!!!

Sivad

Quote from: schmeck on January 30, 2008, 01:20:51 pm
A statue out front as everyone walks up to the arena.  

A statue of Nolan out front, great idea.

Put a solar panel on it to power up recordings on a loop of his most remembered rants:

(a) The "redneck turds and a**holes" speech.
(b) The "pay me my money and I'm gone" speech.
(c) The "I won't be a "token" Asst. AD like the others" speech.
(d) The "It ain't my job to graduate players" speech.
(e) The "you'll need tanks to guard Bud Walton Arena if I'm fired" speech.
(f) The "slave ship" speech.
(g) The "it's harder on me than everyone else in basketball" speech.
(h) The "build a statue of me" speech.
(i) The "you don't look like me, you don't talk like me" speech.

jvanhorn

I don't see how you can name something for Nolan without naming something for Sutton.  I know he has his name on the court at OSU, but, just the same, he is really the true originator of this program.  There was NOTHING befor Sutton, but there was something before Richardson.

ote author=jgphillips3 link=topic=202535.msg3130910#msg3130910 date=1201724194]
The Good he did the program outweighs the Bad.  I'll vote yes.  I am a bit torn on the naming of the Court to be truthful, but I am more for it than against.  As to honoring the 1994 team, the leaders of the UofA need to be horse-whipped if the team AND Nolan aren't honored by next season for their achievements.
[/quote]

claycohog

wwrogers5

I am a huge fan of Nolan!! Also went to school when Eddie had some of his great teams.
When did it become cool to name a basketball court after a coach??
I tried to watch Oklahoma State play and was totally distracted with the cowboy logos, eddie sutton court, OSU at  the free throw lines it looked like a circus.
Does anyone agree?

Throwback1

Quote from: hogchick26 on January 30, 2008, 04:48:02 pm
Just because he lost the lawsuit, doesn't mean that he didn't experience discrimination. I'm having a hard time following your arguement...
Actually, yes it does...as far as you still wanting to believe it so you can hold on to your personal agenda, explain to me how the highest paid state employee in the history of the state of Arkansas is the victim of discrimination, and then, if you have time left over, tell me how I can go find a job where i"m the highest paid ever..I bad want to be discriminated against.

BigHog396

Quote from: HoginMemphis on January 30, 2008, 03:23:03 pm

I guess there are only a few of us on this board that actually remember what transpired over Nolan's last few years.

The man made the comment to several people toward the end of his tenure that he didn't recruit players... he was Nolan Richardson, at the University of Arkansas, and if a big-time player wanted to play at Arkansas THEY needed to call HIM.  He completely quit recruiting after the NCAA debacle in '96, and anyone who claims any differently was not even remotely close to the situation.  THAT is one of the two reasons our program went on a steady down hill slide after '96.

The man also quit coaching the last few years.  Yes, it was still his overall game plan, but he was basically handing the mantle to Mike Anderson (which would have happened had Nolan simply ridden off into the sunset rather than trying to drop a nuclear bomb square in the middle of Bud Walton Arena).  Anyone who actually paid attention to the bench during the last few years saw that it was nearly always Mike who ran the huddles, came up with the plays, and generally coached the team during all of our games.  I am not 100% sure that it was an on-the-job interview during those seasons, but that is the story from many of the people I know who are really close to the program.  His lack of coaching is the second reason that we continued on that down hill slide that culminated with him being shown the door.

Honor the team, honor Nolan with the team, maybe put a bust of him in an area of the arena honoring the accomplishments of the '94 team, but don't name the court after him.  He simply gave up that honor by quitting in his last few years, and then by his actions on his way out the door.  It would be just as bad as naming it after Sutton due to the way he crawled off.

Throwback1

claycohog

Quote from: CalHog on January 30, 2008, 02:19:17 pm
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!

Eddie Sutton is the person responsible for reviving the Arkansas basketball program.

Nolan continued to build what Eddie started.

It was named Bud Walton Arena for a reason and it should stay that way.

Too many of you kids only know about the last 10 years.  Do a little research so you will know the entire story.
How long did it actually take Eddie to crawl to Kentucky?  Funny how we forget certain quotes after some time has past.  Both men contributed heavily to Arkansas basketball but the fact is only one of them won a NC.

The Marmot

Quote from: BigHog396 on January 30, 2008, 05:07:13 pm
I guess there are only a few of us on this board that actually remember what transpired over Nolan's last few years.

The man made the comment to several people toward the end of his tenure that he didn't recruit players... he was Nolan Richardson, at the University of Arkansas, and if a big-time player wanted to play at Arkansas THEY needed to call HIM.  He completely quit recruiting after the NCAA debacle in '96, and anyone who claims any differently was not even remotely close to the situation.  THAT is one of the two reasons our program went on a steady down hill slide after '96.

The man also quit coaching the last few years.  Yes, it was still his overall game plan, but he was basically handing the mantle to Mike Anderson (which would have happened had Nolan simply ridden off into the sunset rather than trying to drop a nuclear bomb square in the middle of Bud Walton Arena).  Anyone who actually paid attention to the bench during the last few years saw that it was nearly always Mike who ran the huddles, came up with the plays, and generally coached the team during all of our games.  I am not 100% sure that it was an on-the-job interview during those seasons, but that is the story from many of the people I know who are really close to the program.  His lack of coaching is the second reason that we continued on that down hill slide that culminated with him being shown the door.

Honor the team, honor Nolan with the team, maybe put a bust of him in an area of the arena honoring the accomplishments of the '94 team, but don't name the court after him.  He simply gave up that honor by quitting in his last few years, and then by his actions on his way out the door.  It would be just as bad as naming it after Sutton due to the way he crawled off.

Bingo......
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Hugulus Hog

January 30, 2008, 05:14:27 pm #96 Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 05:29:34 pm by Hugulus Hog
If we name the court for Nolan, let's commission a statue of Eddie Sutton crawling to Lexington and HDN wearing his golden handcuffs too.

He did a lot for the program, but let's get a little perspective.  You don't name the court for a guy that sued the university.  You name a field or stadium for someone who either gives his life to the program in a positive way.  For example, Tennessee named the stadium for General Neyland.  FSU named the field for Bowden.  UCLA named the court for John Wooden.  These things make sense.  John Wooden still attends every UCLA ball game.  Gen. Neyland worked as coach or AD for about 40 years.  Could you imagine either of those guys suing their schools?

Race has nothing to do with it in my thinking.  Loyalty and selfless support of the school is the touchstone.  If jfb had sued the university then I wouldn't have expected them to name the field for him either.  Nolan determined what his legacy would be when he filed the suit.  Nolan determined how he should be remembered.

As for the appeal mentioned above, the trial court and university were upheld on everything. 

The Court of Appeals, Beam, Circuit Judge, held that:
1. Title VII discrimination claims could not be prospectively waived by employment contract.
2. NR's retention of buy-out money pursuant to his contract did not ratify a contract clause purporting to waive prospective Title VII discrimination claims.
3. Racial animus was not shown in Title VII case by request of athletic director's remark to reporter.
4. University's stated reason for discharge was not pretext for race discrimination.
5. NR's comments were not on a matter of public concern.
6. University's public interest in its sports recruiting efforts and financial support outweighed any free speech interest that coach had.
7. NR's comments were not motivating factor in discharge, barring First Amendment retaliation claim.
8. NR was not terminated in retaliation for protected speech to press.

stchane

Quote from: claycohog on January 30, 2008, 05:09:00 pm
How long did it actually take Eddie to crawl to Kentucky?  Funny how we forget certain quotes after some time has past.  Both men contributed heavily to Arkansas basketball but the fact is only one of them won a NC.

Seriously, I mean since we've been one of the top programs of this decade, who cares about the past right?  We've contended for so many national titles the last few years that we don't even need to honor those responsible for winning the first one do we? 

You've got John McDonnell Field and Frank Broyles field.  Both have a NC in common.  What the common denominator with BWA? 

parrishw

Quote from: drakehog on January 30, 2008, 02:18:38 pm
Frank didn't think about it. Bud Walton went to Frank with the idea to build a bigger arena. Frank would have been just as happy keeping everything in Barnhill. Bud in fact was willing to pay for the WHOLE THING, not just half, and Frank wouldn't let him.

A few weeks ago I said that Nolan had gotten the committment from Bud Walton and I was told I was wrong.
In an article today Nolan was quoted as having told the story he told to me a few years ago.
He an JFB and Bud Walton were sitting down together over a meal and Nolan ask Bud for $1 Million for the new facility. Bud responded by asking Nolan what was needed to finish the place. Frank made the statement that it would take $30 Million. Bud said, to Nolan, I will give you $15 million now and let me know when you need more.
Ever since then JFB has claimed all the credit for obtaining Bud Walton's contribution.

That has always been just one more aspect of JFB's legacy that has bothered me.

How many other times did other people actually start the ball rolling and JFB came in to claim partial or all the credit.

The hell with naming the court after him.  Build the guy a statue.

Nolan Richardson changed the college game forever with an innovative full court trapping defensive style that has been copied by Pitino, Billy Donovan and many others. And vilified by as many more.

I remember listening to Billy Packer over his TV microphone when Duke came down the floor on their first offensive possession of the 1994 championship game and Corey Beck met their guard at half court,
'He's handcheckin,  He's handcheckin."
Billy was yelling at the Refs to call Beck for a foul because he, and the rest of the college basketball 'establishment' did not like the fact that Nolan's boys were playing the Duke boys the same way they played every other opponent that year. Up close and personal. Billy had been critical of Nolan and the Hogs at every opportunity before the game.

Billy Packer was obviously trying his best to influence the officials to call the game more closely so it would favor the anointed boys in blue from Duke.

But even with that help from good old Billy Packer the Hogs prevailed and won that game and college basketballs 'establishment' responded by making rule changes to try and slow down the Nolan Richardson defensive style.

He is a legend and he was and he still is a true Razorback, and, in my opinion, one of the only two U of A coaches to actually win a National Championship.

He and John McDonnell

Come on back Nolan and welcome home.

Go Hogs

slopinhogs

THERE are pros and cons for this ,but i think it should be done. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die