Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bucknell Thread

Started by HogHeathen, March 13, 2006, 08:47:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HogHeathen

This team doesn't match up well with the Hogs...Could be interesting!

They did beat a weak Syracuse team VERY early in the year.

I think we need to have an up-tempo game against them.  Their starting five play a lot of minutes....

Here's their their link...

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/teams/bau/schedule

:razorback:

RazorCaddy

Quote from: HogHeathen on March 13, 2006, 08:47:34 am

I think we need to have an up-tempo game against them.  Their starting five play a lot of minutes....

I think they are a pretty weak team but these small schools will come out and play their ass off. Seems like some of these Bucknellians are still celebrating their win over Kansas last year.

hogsNbeer

Quote from: HogHeathen on March 13, 2006, 08:47:34 am

That's what Kansas said last year.......  Don't over estimate these small schools...Anybody can beat you on any given day......and with the 3 pointer....All it takes is for them to be hot from the perimeter..... It wont' be an easy game for us...I assure you......... I think we should win if we play like we are capable....... There's not much difference between 8 and 9...... 

Lokirain

I think they do match up well. They have good size and play great defense. We have our work cut out for us.

HogHeathen

Quote from: Lokirain on March 13, 2006, 09:58:55 am
I think they do match up well. They have good size and play great defense. We have our work cut out for us.

Explain why you think they match up well?

I see three perimeter guards not over 6'3 a PF at 6'8" and a center at 6'11"......

we're 6'1 at pg 6'4, 6'7, and 6'7 thru 7'0 at the other positions...

HogHeathen

also, their starting five play damn near 30 mins a game....we need to run in this game....

Hogs4Ever

Press and run and Sucknell shouldn't have much of a chance unless they are unconscious from the 3 point land.

HOGLUVIN

Did I hear somewhere that this same starting 5 had some tourney wins last year?

dotnet

I agree that this match up is pretty good for us.  They only have one guy over 6-8 that plays at all.  When he gets in foul trouble, then we'll have the three tallest people on the court.  I think what could really hurt us is if they do get unconscious from three point land.  Other than that, I really like our chances.

I think it really helps us that they beat Kansas last year.  I think that makes us less likely to look past them this year.

The_Bionic_Pig

March 13, 2006, 11:29:19 am #9 Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 01:12:07 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie

Top Players:

Chris McNaughton - Jr, C, 12.9 ppg, 4.7 rpg

Charles Lee - Sr, G, 12.8 ppg, 2.9 apg, 6.1 rpg

Kevin Bettencourt - Sr, G, 12.2 ppg, 2.9 apg

Abe Badmus - Jr, G, 7.0 ppg, 3.9 apg, 2.1 spg

Even though Blue Devils thumped them earlier in the season we are not Duke...but neither are we the Orangemen of Syracuse whom they seem to be hanging their 26-4 resume on.

Great defense won Bucknell the Patriot League.  The Bison are second in the nation in scoring defense, giving up just 55 points per game and fourth in the nation field-goal percentage defense, allowing the opposition to shoot just 38%.  On the other side of the ball, Bucknell shoots a healthy 47% from the floor.  Senior Charles Lee can do a bit of everything and tends to come up with the big rebound, pass, steal or bucket. 

The Bison's top five players, in terms of minutes, are all experienced upperclassmen.  While the bench isn't deep, the Bison do have some talented underclassmen ready and willing to fill in some minutes.  Keep an eye on freshman Jason Vegotsky.  He averages under ten minutes per game, but he will step in and hit a three-pointer or two before heading back to the bench.

Arkansas is still being perceived as not being able to play the 1/2 court game which should bode well for us due to the fact that most of our opponents are still preparing for the better known 40 minutes of hell instead of the 06' Michigan State version that Stan Heath has built this team around. 

Bucknell is a very good team that will not be overlooked because of what they did last season in the opening round against the Jayhawks of Kansas so the "we get know respect" battle cry has lost it luster.   The early exit in the SEC tourney has gotten this teams attention and with the most of the TV media having Bucknell already in the 2nd round this Razorback squad will have no problem with the proper motivation.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HogHeathen

Nice compliment to what I tried to post earlier Stewie, but you always are much more clear...Good job as always...WPS

WxHog

Nice research on your part.   The fact that they have two senior guards could be troublesome for us.  I think the winner will come down to who has a better day shooting from the outside.  Lets hope we don't go cold when they go zone, and they don't light it up the 3-ball. 

HogHeathen

We ned to keep this game in up-tempo mode...

qakhed

If we use our front court, It'll be a blow out. If it comes down to guard play, we're in trouble.
"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

The_Bionic_Pig

March 13, 2006, 11:40:22 am #14 Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 12:08:19 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: WxHog on March 13, 2006, 11:34:18 am
Nice research on your part.   The fact that they have two senior guards could be troublesome for us.  I think the winner will come down to who has a better day shooting from the outside.  Lets hope we don't go cold when they go zone, and they don't light it up the 3-ball. 

I think Lee Humphrey of Florida last outing helped us re-focus on guarding the perimeter.   In my opinion our match-up with Bucknell will remind our players of Alabama & Mississippi St. half court games that Arkansas adjusted too in their second meeting.  If Bucknell decides to zone all day hoping we will be playing out of our rhythm they are in for a rude awakening.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

qakhed

"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

LA HAWG

In my opinion I think whoever has the most points at the end of the game will be the winner.   ;)

hOUSTon NUTT

Some statistical comparisons...

Last 10 games:

Arkansas  (7-3)
Bucknell   (9-1)

Strength of Schedule

Arkansas (70)
Bucknell  (231)

W/L v. Top 10

Arkansas (2-2)
Bucknell  (0-2)

W/L v. Top 30

Arkansas (4-4)
Bucknell  (1-2)   Syracuse

Sagarin has us as a 3 point favorite.  However, this is without any kind of home court advantage, which is usually factored in as 4 points. 

I predict an 11 point AR win.

A-Town Hog Fan

March 13, 2006, 11:51:52 am #19 Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 11:53:37 am by Packman21
Bucknell's Schedule and results-----Not very impressive.

Played games
Regular Season
Date Opp. Result Record
Nov 18 @Rider Won 56-54 1-0
Nov 22 @Syracuse Won 74-69 2-0
Nov 26 Yale Won 87-60 3-0
Nov 30 @Niagara Won 66-63 4-0
Dec 3 @DePaul Won 57-52 5-0
Dec 6 Villanova Lost 60-79 5-1
Dec 17 Cornell Won 83-39 6-1
Dec 19 Haverford Won 76-44 7-1
Dec 21 St. Joseph´s Won 63-51 8-1
Dec 28 Boston U. Won 63-57 9-1
Dec 29 @Santa Clara Lost 68-77 9-2
Jan 2 @Duke Lost 50-84 9-3
Jan 7 @Navy Won 74-52 10-3
Jan 11 @American Won 58-50 11-3
Jan 14 Holy Cross Won 56-42 12-3
Jan 18 Lafayette Won 62-32 13-3
Jan 21 Colgate Won 62-43 14-3
Jan 25 @Lehigh Won 59-54 15-3
Jan 28 Navy Won 81-47 16-3
Feb 1 @Army Won 67-54 17-3
Feb 4 @Colgate Won 68-59 18-3
Feb 8 American Won 74-57 19-3
Feb 11 @Holy Cross Won 57-52 20-3
Feb 15 @Lafayette Won 69-49 21-3
Feb 18 @Northern Iowa Lost 61-65 21-4
Feb 22 Lehigh Won 81-70 22-4
Feb 25 Army Won 70-47 23-4
Mar 3 Army Won 59-47 24-4
Mar 5 American Won 64-50 25-4
Mar 10 Holy Cross Won 74-59 26-4

They will only play about 6 guys a game.  We will wear them out and win by 15+.
Lord help us all!

Hogs4Ever

Good write-up Stewie!  We have to force turnovers and keep the game fast paced which should wear them out in the second half.

LA HAWG

Man I wish we could play Army three times.

HogHeathen

They beat Depaul by five...Depaul beat syracuse by 39...  looks like they all suck......

bigdaddyhawg

You people need to think again on Bucknell.  They didn't use mirrors to beat Kansas last year.  I watched them Saturday play Holy Cross and they looked VERY salty to me.  They have very nice talent in their starting five, perhaps more than us.  Their seniors are very, very basketball smart, and they are very well coached.

I guarantee you this:  if we don't play up to our talent and play smart ball we will be coming home after this one.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 13, 2006, 12:06:56 pm
You people need to think again on Bucknell.  They didn't use mirrors to beat Kansas last year.  I watched them Saturday play Holy Cross  and they looked VERY salty to me.  They have very nice talent in their starting five, perhaps more than us.  Their seniors are very, very basketball smart, and they are very well coached.

I guarantee you this:  if we don't play up to our talent and play smart ball we will be coming home after this one.

cmon man. Beat Ks last year. Its not last year. And you saw um whoop Holy Cross? Holy Shiite. Me, you, hogfather, mikeb & stacieb could beat Holy Cross 4 out of 7.

Lokirain

Bucknell is no joke. They play well together and have team chemistry, something we lack at times. Of course I think we will win, but I agree some of you are underestimating our opponent.

Tylerhog

My numbers say hogs by 12.9. It's been working pretty good all year on the line. Tournament time usually comes down to who wants it though.

C'mon Hogs take us DEEP!!!

hogsNbeer

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 13, 2006, 12:09:27 pm
Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on March 13, 2006, 12:06:56 pm
You people need to think again on Bucknell.  They didn't use mirrors to beat Kansas last year.  I watched them Saturday play Holy Cross  and they looked VERY salty to me.  They have very nice talent in their starting five, perhaps more than us.  Their seniors are very, very basketball smart, and they are very well coached.

cmon man. Beat Ks last year. Its not last year. And you saw um whoop Holy Cross? Holy Shiite. Me, you, hogfather, mikeb & stacieb could beat Holy Cross 4 out of 7.

I think some are a little overly confident.....  and not taking this Bucknell team seriously....  That's fine to pull for your team, but don't belittle them because of their size or that they're a mid-major...... This is one game, and one game only-- winner moves on.....  and I agree with the other poster, this wont' be a walk in the park for the HOGS..... If they come in overconfident and look past Bucknell and not play well.....The HOGS will be coming home 1 and done........ They've got as much chance of winning as any...

PennHOG

Quote from: HoopHog on March 13, 2006, 12:03:26 pm
Defense was very absent against Florida.  I was most surprised by the lack of defensive tenacity from (of all people) Jonathan Modica.  I strongly suspect that he was just completely worn out.  I suspect we will see him recharged for this game against Bucknell. 
Did Irwin say this morning that Modica hurt his ankle?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Niels Boar

The matchups look favorable for us.  However, I wouldn't be too overconfident.  Kansas was better last year (#1 RPI) than we are this season, and it is basically the same Bucknell team.  Also, Syracuse was not playing poorly when Bucknell beat them in the Carrier Dome.  They had just beaten Texas Tech by 35.  Compare and contrast with our performance.  Syracuse soundly  beat some teams that could give us trouble on a given night like Manhattan, Davidson, UTEP, and Kent St. in nonconference and lost a close one to UF.  Bucknell also soundly thrashed Saint Joseph's right after they beat Kansas.   Kansas only lost three after that defeat.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

CorningHog

I hope we keep an eye out and "guard" the "hot hand" player and 3 point shooter in Bettencourt, 73 3 pointers.  The big guy looks like he can score in McNaughton and Charles Lee seems to be the "do-all" player for them.  They play solid defense and look to score methodically and control tempo.  Rebounding is okay and they seem to handle the ball well.  It looks like 5 main players with 3 off the bench, kind of like us.

We should be able to out rebound this team, as well as handle their defense.  My fear is that Jefferson's role could be critical in that they will surely force him to make decisions passing the ball and I think this team could cause us to use Brewer and Ferguson more in handling the ball, just like Stan has done more of these past several games.  I hope Townes and Hill show up on both ends of the court and Charles Thomas could be a big factor in this one.  If our inside guys will work hard and play smart on defense, "moving their feed" and not getting lazy on position, we can win this one in the paint.  I think if we can avoid foul trouble and get quality minutes from Hunter, McGowan and the other three big men, Thomas, Hill and Townes, we should get the advantage there.  Guard play from Modica, Ferguson, Brewer and maybe McCurdy could determine the tempo of this one. 

It will be interesting to see it play out, but if our guys play hard, use our size and long arms to create trouble in the passing lanes and we shoot decent from the field, our inside game should carry us.  If we are impatient and get into foul trouble coupled with bad shooting, well, it will take a supreme "effort" from a hustle standpoint to stay in the game.  I can't see us doing that.

You can bet that they will crowd and zone us in an attempt to take away our inside game and force us to be "passive" by throwing it around the perimeter and shoot from outside.  We really need to work them hard on the "motion" stuff and get our big men points in the paint to open this up.  I see us handling this team if we play like we have been in the "effort" category and do the rebounding and taking care of the ball.

I think Stan Heath and his guys, Brewer, Modica and Ferguson will all be ready to lead these young guys like Townes, Hill and Thomas, plus McCurdy, Hunter and McGowan & Jefferson who have not been in a NCAA game, as well as the 3 I mentioned.  Leadership and an excitement to perform well in the first ever NCAA tourney game for these guys should get us over this first one.

Memphis could be another thing!  First things first though, let's win the Bucknell game!

GO HOGS!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

The_Bionic_Pig

Corning that is THE best breakdown I have come across reguarding Bucknell....thanks for the input!!!  +1
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

razorback3072

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on March 13, 2006, 11:29:19 am
The Bison are second in the nation in scoring defense, giving up just 55 points per game and fourth in the nation field-goal percentage defense, allowing the opposition to shoot just 38%. 

What was their conference's scoring average though?  Looks like they didn't play anyone that could score.  With a day between games to rest I look for the Hogs to turn up the D more unlike the SECT.  I also think Bucknell could be the one overlooking us instead of vice-versa.  They beat KS last year and are being picked by a lot of people to "upset" us.  I think they may come in with the big head. 
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

Feralhog

I was at the SEC Tournament and Pookie did turn his ankle on a play at my end.  I thought he was going to come out but he walked it off.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

cmakrzrbak

He sprained his ankle early and said if we'd have won, he wouldn't have been able to play on Saturday.  He'll be full strength by Friday.  When are the Hogs heading down to D-Town?
"You've got to give a little love to those who love to live"

Philip Lynott

lyon98

Quote from: LA HAWG on March 13, 2006, 11:48:16 am
In my opinion I think whoever has the most points at the end of the game will be the winner.   ;)

I remember that was the way John Thompson told Nolan to beat Duke. It worked then, maybe it will this time. I think the Hogs will have the most.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

HogInaStrangeLand

I hope no one is too confident, because yes, Kansas probably thought something similar to what we think about Bucknell.

I, however, think the majority of the country is WAY off on their prediction.
Bucknell played some great teams early and played them well, winning some and losing some, but they haven't played great teams since the first of January.  The hogs, however, have played great teams lately and have had some success.

I like our chances, this to me ON THE SURFACE looks more like a 6 seed versus an 11 seed.

Again, 11 seeds winning first rounds is not that uncommon and can be done....Ask the 12 seeded hogs from Nolan's later years.

Weather69

Don't kid yourselves guys, Bucknell can win this game, IF we play like we did against Ole Miss and Miss St.  Anything can happen in the tourney, and a 9 seed beating an 8 seed is not an upset. 

However, I think we will bring our 'A' game and win.  I like the fact that so many people around the country are saying that we will lose; it will keep everyone focused on the game. 

Heard Joe Kleine on the Buzz this morning say he thinks we will hammer them; I'll be content just as ong as we win.

GO HOGS!!!!!1
"Never believe anything until it has been officially denied."  Otto von Bismark

"The last official act of any government is to loot the nation."  Michael Rivero

mutdog

The Florida game is a good example of how the 3's are so critical.  If we slow down the 3's against Florida we win easily. 

I can see the Bucknell game being decided by our ability/lack of ability to slow down their 3's and make them play inside.  We should have the advantage inside.

felixfan

if we play a slow half court game it will be a slugfest.  Bucknell only give up 55 points a game.  yes it is in the patriot league, but it is still respectable.  The hogs give up close to 65 while scoring 74.  Bucknell only scores 66.4 in a weak league.  If we get them in a running contest, they will have to go to the bench, and they only have a 7 man rotation, usually.  If we run up and down the court, well kill them, if we play a slow game it will be close.  With the edge to them. 

hogsNbeer

Also, we don't know how the hogs will react in a NCAA Tournament environment..... We are really young and you just don't know how the YOUNG hogs will react to everything........ I hope Heath can settle them down early.....and hopefully it won't take long for their nerves to settle...... Bucknell has the majority of their team from last year.....  Hogs don't have anybody that's ever played in this tournament.......  :razorback:

mutdog

The one thing that we don't want to happen is for Bucknell to slow the game down; meaning pass the ball around efficiently for 25 seconds to obtain an open 3.  Based on their 3 point shooting percentage of 39% they would probably hit an open 3.

OKC

With the exception of a couple of games, the hogs tend to play to the level of thier competition. I was encouraged to see them whip georgia two games in a row, but like someone said, we don't know how they'll react in the tourney. WHo knows, they might make a magical run!

Beaverfever

Quote from: ConwayHog on March 13, 2006, 01:43:08 pm
For those of you who think this game will be a joke bring your minds back to December 15 against Missouri State.  We beat them by a whopping four points AT HOME.
Didn't we have a big lead for most of the game and they scored some at the end to make the score respectable.  I was there and I don't remember worrying.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: mutdog on March 13, 2006, 02:54:14 pm
The one thing that we don't want to happen is for Bucknell to slow the game down; meaning pass the ball around efficiently for 25 seconds to obtain an open 3.  Based on their 3 point shooting percentage of 39% they would probably hit an open 3.

Im sorry, but would 39% mean that they would probably miss?   ;)

wishiwasinark

Based on the way we shoot the ball if we come out tight, or go limp for long periods of time which we have a tendency to do, then Bucknell could win. They have the experiance in the tournament that we do not have. Even if we have a good first 25-30 minutes if we let them back in it in the middle of the 2nd half the pressure goes up by leaps and bounds- you see it every year multiple times over.

What we need to do is control the boards which we have not done very well this year.  We also have to play good perimeter defense and that that part of their game away since I think our big bodies can hold their own defensively in the paint without much help from the guards. But we have not played very well on perimeter defense and their are good enough and experianced enough to exploit that if we do not. They shoot 10-15 3ptrs like Florida did and we are in trouble.

If we get good play from TOwnes and Thomas inside we will offset their outside shooting. Plus our frontline rotation should wear down their rotation to where we can control the boards as the game goes on.

HOGLUVIN

GrizzledHogFan

March 13, 2006, 07:37:36 pm #48 Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 09:20:33 pm by gmb_79
Here's a head-to-head roster comparison for Bucknell vs. Arkansas, listing only players with 100+ minutes of playing time during the season.  The most frequent starters are denoted by an asterisk next to their names.  The rosters are sorted by minutes played per game.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

GrizzledHogFan

I did some analysis of the Bucknell defense.  Patriot League (of which Bucknell is a member) teams scored an average of 64.0 points/game, excluding games against Bucknell.  Against Bucknell, they scored 50.8 points/game (13.2 fewer points).  The ranked teams (Syracuse, Villanova and Duke) that played them had better luck, however.  They average 76.9 points/game against teams other than Bucknell.  When playing Bucknell, they scored 77.3 points/game, which is 0.4 more points/game than they scored against their other opponents.  Finally, unranked, non-conference opponents scored 10.7 fewer points/game when playing Bucknell (56.2 instead of 66.9 points/game).
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.