Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PGA vs Sr PGA

Started by GolfNut57, November 02, 2017, 06:34:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GolfNut57

Unless I am mistaken, and that is entirely possible......golfers on the Sr. tour can play regular PGA tour events but the golfers on the regular PGA tour that are under 50 years of age are not allowed to play events on the Sr tour. Is that correct? If so to me that is kind of BS. Once a pro golfer reaches 50 years of age, which is the age they can play on the Sr. tour, they should declare each year which tour they are going to play in and then be restricted to that tour. Jmo but it isn't right for a Sr golfer to have the ability to win on both tours but the regular tour player only have a shot on the regular PGA.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

majestic

How many Sr. Tour players have won on the PGA tour? And why would a regular tour player want to play in a Sr. tournament? Seems like a dumb topic to me.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

widespreadsooie

I'm pretty sure you're correct about age and playing down but I'm with majestic (now that we're not on the politics board  ;)). Don't see any reason why someone under 50 would want to play up.

ricepig

Not a big deal, how many 50+ have a legitimate chance on the regular tour, has it happened, pretty sure, but it's a rarity. The reason regular PGA  tour guys can't play on the SR tour is simple, they aren't 50.

GolfNut57

Quote from: widespreadsooie on November 02, 2017, 07:04:51 pm
I'm pretty sure you're correct about age and playing down but I'm with majestic (now that we're not on the politics board  ;)). Don't see any reason why someone under 50 would want to play up.

My point wasn't that those under 50 should be allowed to play up. More so that those over 50 should not be allowed to play down. Mickelson is 3 years away from turning 50 and he will still have just as much ability to win on the regular tour as any of them imo.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

EastexHawg

Was Raymond Floyd over 50 and on the Senior Tour when he won Doral?  I know Davis Love III was.

Dillar Dog

Quote from: majestic on November 02, 2017, 06:42:23 pm
How many Sr. Tour players have won on the PGA tour? And why would a regular tour player want to play in a Sr. tournament? Seems like a dumb topic to me.

Well, I guess we should just tell Freddy to stop playing the Masters because he can't win.

You're out, hoss.  Because hogville says so.

majestic

Quote from: Dillar Dog on November 02, 2017, 08:16:46 pm
Well, I guess we should just tell Freddy to stop playing the Masters because he can't win.

I might be confused. I'm all for letting the older guys play regular tour events. Tom Watson nearly won the British Open a few years back. The regular tour is where the money is. Why would Rory want to play in the Senior Open?

GolfNut57

Quote from: majestic on November 02, 2017, 09:13:06 pm
I might be confused. I'm all for letting the older guys play regular tour events. Tom Watson nearly won the British Open a few years back. The regular tour is where the money is. Why would Rory want to play in the Senior Open?

Where did I post that regular tour members should want to play in the Sr. events? In fact I have pretty much clarified in my earlier post that it was the Sr.'s that shouldn't be allowed to play on both tours. No idea why that makes you think I am saying that players on the regular tour should be allowed to play Sr events.

majestic

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 02, 2017, 09:44:31 pm
Where did I post that regular tour members should want to play in the Sr. events? In fact I have pretty much clarified in my earlier post that it was the Sr.'s that shouldn't be allowed to play on both tours. No idea why that makes you think I am saying that players on the regular tour should be allowed to play Sr events.
I just didn't follow that post of yours. No problem.

PonderinHog

Quote from: majestic on November 02, 2017, 09:13:06 pm
He got a thing for GILF's ???

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: EastexHawg on November 02, 2017, 07:41:15 pm
Was Raymond Floyd over 50 and on the Senior Tour when he won Doral?  I know Davis Love III was.

Craig Stadler won on the regular tour after he joined the Senior Tour.  Love and Floyd too.  There may be one or two others.

Oh, and GoHogs says Langer would win every regular tour event if he chose to enter them.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

clutch

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 02, 2017, 09:44:31 pm
No idea why that makes you think I am saying that players on the regular tour should be allowed to play Sr events.

"Jmo but it isn't right for a Sr golfer to have the ability to win on both tours but the regular tour player only have a shot on the regular PGA."

Probably from this, because it sounds a lot like you were saying that. Maybe just worded badly.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Dillar Dog on November 02, 2017, 08:16:46 pm

he had a good run.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

cosmodrum

I agree. I want to see Spieth, DJ and Day play senior events. I don't see a problem with that.
Go away, batin'

mudder190