Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I wanna go trout fishing.

Started by Hogward R. Murrow, June 22, 2006, 10:49:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogward R. Murrow

I've never been and have always wanted to learn. I do remember when I was at Henderson 14 years ago or so some of my frat brothers taking off down to murfressburo and always came back with a stringer.  One of em showed me how to cook a little trout up in tin foil with butter and onions and it was good eatin.

Anyone know of any fishing around hot springs?

I also wanna go hog huntin.

pioneerhog

Hogward, I am assuming you live in Hot Springs. I'm gonna be down that way next weekend and am trying to figure out somewhere to fish, you got in recommendations. As of right now, unless I find something else to do, I am figuring on going on the Caddo River around Glenwood.

pioneerhog

Quote from: Mountainboar on June 22, 2006, 08:02:40 pm
There was a good article about the Caddo in today's Democrat-Gazette.
Already read it. Makes me look forward to my trip on it. I am considering trying to rent a Kayak though from one of the outfitters instead of just wade fishing it but I'm not sure if I will or not. Got to buy the Dem/Gaz the next two Thursdays to get the next 2 articles about Smallmouth streams. I would like to read the two that came out before this one, or at least find out which streams they where.

Hogward R. Murrow

Quote from: pioneerhog on June 22, 2006, 07:56:54 pm
Hogward, I am assuming you live in Hot Springs. I'm gonna be down that way next weekend and am trying to figure out somewhere to fish, you got in recommendations. As of right now, unless I find something else to do, I am figuring on going on the Caddo River around Glenwood.

I have never river fished. I tried once on the Arkansas and my bass boat got hung up on every log there.  Don't have the boat anymore.

I have always been a strict Kentucky Bass fisherman. Only plastic worms as well. I haven't been fishing since I got married except to take my little boy to a catfish lake in Leola.

If you want to fish a lake around Hot Springs though, Ouachita is the one. My uncle owns Burls Country Smokehouse in Crystal Springs around the Brady landing famous for the moonshine jelly and smoked hams he ships all over the U.S. 

If you want to spend all morning or afternoon listening to someone, ask him to tell you a story. You will not want to leave. My cousin Sandy also gives guided Bear hunts up there in the mountains.  www.outlawguide.com

Hogward R. Murrow

Quote from: Mountainboar on June 22, 2006, 07:21:46 pm
I'm guessing the Little Red is the closest trout river to Hot Springs.  Come on up here on a Thursday or Sunday and we'll go catch 'em at Beaver Tailwaters.

I think it was the little red. Somehow the strawberry comes to mind but isn't that up north? Is there year round fishing at the beaver tailwaters?  I would love to learn how to trout fish.

I heard you could fish below the dams in hot springs for trout. I don't know.

pioneerhog

Quote from: Hogward R. Murrow on June 22, 2006, 08:19:51 pm
Quote from: pioneerhog on June 22, 2006, 07:56:54 pm

I have never river fished. I tried once on the Arkansas and my bass boat got hung up on every log there.  Don't have the boat anymore.

I have always been a strict Kentucky Bass fisherman. Only plastic worms as well. I haven't been fishing since I got married except to take my little boy to a catfish lake in Leola.

If you want to fish a lake around Hot Springs though, Ouachita is the one. My uncle owns Burls Country Smokehouse in Crystal Springs around the Brady landing famous for the moonshine jelly and smoked hams he ships all over the U.S. 

If you want to spend all morning or afternoon listening to someone, ask him to tell you a story. You will not want to leave. My cousin Sandy also gives guided Bear hunts up there in the mountains.  www.outlawguide.com

You should try fishing some of the streams in Arkansas for Smallmouth bass, IMO it is some of the best fishing you can do. It may just be me but it seems that brownies out of a stream fight harder than normal. I too am a big plastic fisherman when it comes to bass, mainly Powerbait ribbontail worms, but when they aren't working for me on these streams I will switch over to a Roostertail or Mepps spinner.

I saw the link to the bear hunts the other day. I am wanting to try bear hunting but know nothing about it. There has been one seen several times at a place that I hunt so I am gonna try and kill that sucker next year.

pioneerhog

Quote from: Hogward R. Murrow on June 22, 2006, 08:29:19 pm
Quote from: Mountainboar on June 22, 2006, 07:21:46 pm
I'm guessing the Little Red is the closest trout river to Hot Springs.  Come on up here on a Thursday or Sunday and we'll go catch 'em at Beaver Tailwaters.

I think it was the little red. Somehow the strawberry comes to mind but isn't that up north? Is there year round fishing at the beaver tailwaters?  I would love to learn how to trout fish.

I heard you could fish below the dams in hot springs for trout. I don't know.
There is Rainbow trout on the Ouachita below the dam according to Arkansas.com. Here is a link to the site.

http://www.arkansas.com/lakes-rivers/river/id/36