Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4 wheeler questions....

Started by Swino, May 24, 2006, 03:14:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Swino

What model is the best?  Why?  Which is most dependable?

I'm looking at buying a new one.  I've had a honda in the past and it was awesome.  Too bad I killed it.  I've also had/have a Kawasaki, but I'm not thrilled with it.  No reason why, other than a few little problems.

I want plenty of power, but also know that there is no need for overkill. 

SultanofSwine

Have had or been around honda, kawa, yama, polar, suzu, and atric cat and without question my next will be a honda.

B-Sticks

I have owned Honda & Polaris in the past. This year I bought a Kawasaki Brute Force 650 and it is a beast !! The only negative I have about it is that when you put it in 4WD it has to roll a feet ( or the tires spin if you are stuck) before it will engage.

I was going down a steep hill and decided to back up. I tried to put in 4WD and had to roll down the hill a few more feet to get it lock in.

Moral of the story...plan ahead. If you think there is any chance you will need it, put it in 4WD in advance !

HOGLUVIN

Honda. No question. Durable, reliable great value.

Arkapigdiesel

Make sure whatever you buy starts with an H and ends with ONDA.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

southeasthog

I have a Yamaha and am very happy with it. When I was looking to buy a new one, I talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he said if it were him he would buy a Yamaha or Honda. You can get a lemon in any model but if I were to buy again I would buy a Yamahamer.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

Buff

if you want power, buy a Bombardier Outlander 800.  Most powerful on the market last I remember.  If you want reliability, definitely buy a Honda.  I wouldn't suggest a Rincon 650 though.......I can't stand their transmissions.  The new 680 might be a little better.  I have a 2001 Rancher 4x4 and absolutely LOVE it.

pigture perfect

I loved my Suzuki. (KIng Quad 300) I've had Honda owners tell me mine was a better ride.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Swino

What about Polaris?  I've got a friend that is a dealer and will let me have it at his cost. 

I only know 1 person that has one and he swears by it and its independent suspension. 

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: Swino on May 30, 2006, 10:22:05 am
What about Polaris?  I've got a friend that is a dealer and will let me have it at his cost. 

I only know 1 person that has one and he swears by it and its independent suspension. 

I drove a Polaris 700 and it was Tits~! I bought a Honda because of all of the negativity towards the belt driven 4 wheelers.

Swino

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on May 30, 2006, 10:39:57 am

I drove a Polaris 700 and it was Tits~! I bought a Honda because of all of the negativity towards the belt driven 4 wheelers.

I have heard about negativity towards belt driven, but haven't been able to find and concrete evidence that there is a problem with them other than maybe when they first came out. 

SultanofSwine

Have a couple of friends that have Polaris' and they have had good luck with them, good machines unless you are going to be in a lot of water and there I have heard of a few problems.

pharm

Quote from: Swino on May 30, 2006, 10:57:03 am

I have heard about negativity towards belt driven, but haven't been able to find and concrete evidence that there is a problem with them other than maybe when they first came out. 
Belt driven four wheelers are not good in water.

pharm

Quote from: Buffinator:  Reloaded on May 26, 2006, 10:53:27 pm
if you want power, buy a Bombardier Outlander 800.  Most powerful on the market last I remember.  If you want reliability, definitely buy a Honda.  I wouldn't suggest a Rincon 650 though.......I can't stand their transmissions.  The new 680 might be a little better.  I have a 2001 Rancher 4x4 and absolutely LOVE it.
I test drove the 800 Outlander thats way way too much power. Its also around $8,500..

Swino

Quote from: pharm on June 03, 2006, 11:36:07 pm
Quote from: Swino on May 30, 2006, 10:57:03 am

Belt driven four wheelers are not good in water.

I've heard this, but I can not find anything on this.  Do you have any links to these kinds of stories?

pharm

I just know from personal experience. I frequently ride on some rough trails and cross lots of water. Ive had to wait a couple of times for the water to drain on belt driven 4 wheelers after crossing creeks. You might not find any literature on this because most manufactures recommend not getting in water over 3 inches, and if your like most riders that's no going to happen. I would also recommend not getting an electric shift mine has been in the shop three times..

Swino

Quote from: pharm on June 04, 2006, 09:02:51 pm
I just know from personal experience. I frequently ride on some rough trails and cross lots of water. Ive had to wait a couple of times for the water to drain on belt driven 4 wheelers after crossing creeks. You might not find any literature on this because most manufactures recommend not getting in water over 3 inches, and if your like most riders that's no going to happen. I would also recommend not getting an electric shift mine has been in the shop three times..

Ok thanks for the info.  What type of 4 wheeler do you have?

pharm

Quote from: Swino on June 05, 2006, 07:58:10 am

I have a 2004 Honda Rancher 350 4 wheel drive. I wish I'd paid a little more and got a Forman or Rincon. I would like to have independent rear suspension and push button 4 wheel drive.

HOGLUVIN

Quote from: pharm on June 05, 2006, 11:05:46 pm

I have a 2004 Honda Rancher 350 4 wheel drive. I wish I'd paid a little more and got a Forman or Rincon. I would like to have independent rear suspension and push button 4 wheel drive.

Swino,

If you get any upgrades or are debating whether or not to spend for the upsizing....
Spend it on the independent rear suspension. This makes such a hugs difference on your back and as.s when you are hitting the trails.

Mr. Hogback075

the fastest, most comfortable, powerfull, dependable, safest, and most expensive 4-wheeler i recommend is a chevy 2500 4WD.

HogISH™

Quote from: pharm on June 05, 2006, 11:05:46 pm

i have a couple of 350's as well... the reason i like them is the hand shifter and full foot plates. did not want something where my kids feet could drop down and get wacked.

we have a group of 20+ that take many trips out to white rock wheel'n and by far the least bikes the go down are the hondas...

service is a key, for those in or close to fayetteville there is a company on beachwood street that services them. had 3 tires plugged, both tuned up, pull cord fixed on one filters cleaned on both.. guy charged me $88.00 total for bof'm... i think the company's name is like something rentals, the are located on the west side of baum stadium as you are headed back to the highway.. there are like three big rows of white tin warehouses. i recommend them very highly.

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.