Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiex to cook some filet crappie

Started by toshortrock, May 23, 2006, 07:33:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

toshortrock

tell me a few ways to cook it,i know the old meal and fry,give me another way,,,thanks :razorback:
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

Thunderhog Jr

:razorback:

I like to take some beer and brown mustard and make a wash with it. Dip the crappie in the wash and then into the corn meal.  I put a small bottle of red pepper in my meal to spice things up a little more.
then fry em up.

:razorback:

WPS  <br />Remember the days when we were a national power??  What the Hell happened?

Landonhog

Crappie or Bream Tacos....  (seriously)

4-5 fillets depending on size...  A 14" skillet full....    (# of fillets, for vegetable proportions below)

Non stick skillet - med. high.   
Preheat oven on 250...  low temp.  Toss a "brownie pan" in there to get warm.

Take your fillets and season both sides with salt, cracked pepper, cumin, and paprika (adding as needed in skillet, don't be afraid to season)

A couple of tbl. spoons of olive oil...  Cook each fillet on Med-High for 2-3 minutes each side...Be careful fliping........Carefully move to small pre-warmed "brownie" pan or something similar... Place in oven, partially covered.

Back to your skillet, with fish droppings and oils....   
Add -  1/2 a red onion finely chopped
      -  1 large clove of garlic, finley chopped
      -  1 large jalepeno finely chopped.
      -  Maybe one more tbl spoon of olive oil  (if needed)

Saute all vegs together until almost done (maybe 6 minutes on med-high)...not completely carmelized.... (you'll lose flavor)

Bring fish out of warm oven, if not already falling apart, slightly break up with a fork...

Cover with the sauted vegs, and drop them in a warm tortilla, with lettuce, tomatoe, and little sour cream if you like....

Great side dish;  Frijoles Negras

Start this a few minutes before you start your fish...  Black beans need a little time to soften...

Get two cans of Black beans...
Add some of your jalepeno, garlic, and onion....  +S/P
Just let em cook slow while you do everyting else....  Drop a handful of monty jack on top before serving, maybe a little sour cream....  Awesome!

Give this one a try, it really is good...  No fresh fish....  Just grab a couple of Tilapia fillets at the grocery store!  They work even better.... (tougher fish)

Enjoy  :razorback: