Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No animals were harmed in the filming of this thread...

Started by hogfankb, May 19, 2006, 09:39:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfankb

but they should have been. :)

Here are some pics we got from our night camera. The ones with the basketball goal in the background are literally from my grandparents back yard. All of these were taken in south arkansas. Had a bunch more but these are my favorites.

hogfankb

hogfankb

hogfankb

hogfankb

hogfankb

hogfankb

hogfankb

hogfankb

pioneerhog

Looks like you need to thin out some hogs. We got some where we hunt and we kill them every chance we get. They are considered a nuisence(sp?) aniamal so you can kill them whenever you want from what I understand, there is no season on them. Now night hunting for them is a little bit different story, I would call AGFC before I was to consider night hunting them.

Landonhog

Quote from: pioneerhog on May 19, 2006, 10:34:43 pm
Looks like you need to thin out some hogs. We got some where we hunt and we kill them every chance we get. They are considered a nuisence(sp?) aniamal so you can kill them whenever you want from what I understand, there is no season on them. Now night hunting for them is a little bit different story, I would call AGFC before I was to consider night hunting them.

Does anyone have any good strategies for hunting feral hogs???  I've got a couple of buddies with large cattle ranches, that have hogs all over them....  We occasionally see them from a distance and see evidence of there rooting/feeding everywhere....
Over feed?
Night? 
We can get away with just about anything out there, and their dads (owners) really want us to get rid of them.....

hogfankb

I would love too. I knew we had a couple down there from the sign we would see every once in a while. But I had no clue it was like the pictures above. I am not down there very often anymore but I can't remember ever seeing a hog during the day. I was blown away by the pictures.

pioneerhog

The hogs that the others I hunt with have killed where killed mainly in early morning. They put out some different things to try and get them in but I am not sure if they really had any luck. I have heard that the best time to hunt them is night but I am not sure.

qakhed

"If it comes from qak, it's a fact!" -supacrawf

HOGLUVIN

great pic hogfankb! Qak, do you guys have hogs up at your camp or it is mainly fowl. I cant recall.

qakhed

Landonhog

Quote from: qakhed on May 22, 2006, 10:58:40 am
night and bait

Thanks, Any specific or good ideas for bait...???   I noticed a molasses type mixture in Bass Pro the other day that was supposed to be for hogs...  I think you were to mix it with a certain ratio of corn or agri feed...

SultanofSwine

Clue me in to where the hog problem exist and I know how to relieve you of the problem either with bait or catch dogs. If you would like them removed but don't want to mess with them I have a couple of buddies that would be tickled to bring our bows and help you stock up on sausage.

pioneerhog

Quote from: SultanofSwine on May 24, 2006, 05:57:41 pm
Clue me in to where the hog problem exist and I know how to relieve you of the problem either with bait or catch dogs. If you would like them removed but don't want to mess with them I have a couple of buddies that would be tickled to bring our bows and help you stock up on sausage.
Do it like they do in some parts of the country and leave that bow at home and trade it in for a hunting knife. I know a guy that lived in FL for a time and knew a bunch of guys that had the dogs and when they would get on them they would run in with their knives and cut their throats.IMO this is completely stupid but I guess a lot of people enjoy it.

SultanofSwine

Knife is fine if that is what we need to bring to be able to kill some hogs. Framin hammer will work too if they don't want us to carry a "weapon".

qakhed

A outdoor writer friend of mine was in Florida doing an article on fishing or something, and met some guys that invited him out hog hunting with them. He said that the dogs pinned the hog then one of them jumped on his back and drowned it. It was an enormous hog. 300 pounds or so. He sent me a picture of it and the guys. They looked the type for sure.

hawgsinspace

Quote from: Landonhog on May 20, 2006, 09:24:53 am

Does anyone have any good strategies for hunting feral hogs???  I've got a couple of buddies with large cattle ranches, that have hogs all over them....  We occasionally see them from a distance and see evidence of there rooting/feeding everywhere....
Over feed?
Night? 
We can get away with just about anything out there, and their dads (owners) really want us to get rid of them.....

Get several five gallon buckets with lids, fill each bucket with with some bags of frozen corn and water. Put the lids on and let them sit outside for a few days and "age". Find a few hog tracks, pour out a bucket a day for a two or three days. The go back the next day and wait from the to come back.
"What more is necessary to make us a wise and happy people? Still one thing more, fellow citizens--a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities."

Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address (1801)

Landonhog

Quote from: hawgsinspace on May 25, 2006, 02:51:04 pm
Quote from: Landonhog on May 20, 2006, 09:24:53 am

Over feed?
Night? 

Get several five gallon buckets with lids, fill each bucket with with some bags of frozen corn and water. Put the lids on and let them sit outside for a few days and "age". Find a few hog tracks, pour out a bucket a day for a two or three days. The go back the next day and wait from the to come back.

Awesome!  Thanks!

jkstock04

Those are some damn good pictures..looks like you have an awsome set-up....must be nice.  I'd be rid of those hogs though....they'll sure tear the hell out of a place.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogfankb

Quote from: jkstock04 on May 25, 2006, 10:27:37 pm
Those are some damn good pictures..looks like you have an awsome set-up....must be nice.  I'd be rid of those hogs though....they'll sure tear the hell out of a place.

Yeah it is pretty nice down there. My dad just retired down there last year so he is excited about being able to maintain food plots and scout all year. He is loving it. Also have a pond that gets 2 pound crappie caught regularly out of it. With Lake Columbia about 45 minutes away he is in his own little heaven down there.

qakhed

we always added some molasses with that mixture. Smells it up even more

SultanofSwine

You can make some rubs too by soaking some pieces of carpet in motor oil and wrapping it on a tree. Also check your local feed stores for persimmon corn. No need to do anything to it other than just put it out.

hogfankb

Quote from: SultanofSwine on May 26, 2006, 09:55:47 am
You can make some rubs too by soaking some pieces of carpet in motor oil and wrapping it on a tree.

What?!? I have never heard of this. Does this really work? And if it does why?

qakhed

the hogs (or cattle even) like rubbing on it to help keep flies and mosquitos off them.

SultanofSwine

Works well in dry weather or in areas that don't have much moist ground. Hogs will rub on them just like they would a wallow to rid themselves of insects like fleas. If you have ever been close to a wallow area you should have noticed the trees around a frequently used wallow will be rubbed as well.

Combine a couple of rubs and some feed and you will be in business.

hogfankb

wow i don't guess i have ever thought of that. thanks

HOGLUVIN

You guys are going to have to quit this! My neck puffs up everytime I read it.

qakhed

qakhed

DOGALUM

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on May 26, 2006, 12:41:19 pm
You guys are going to have to quit this! My neck puffs up everytime I read it.
Same thing happens to me every time I see your avatar!
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

SultanofSwine

No kidding Dog, his avatar is definitely lip curl worthy.  ;)