Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pond Fishing

Started by hogfan064, May 10, 2006, 10:52:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan064

Let's hear what you got in your pond.  Where I grew up we had 2 ponds.  My grandad had a pond that was mainly crappie and my parents had one that was Cats, Brim, and Bass.  My Grandad's pond unfortunately dried up and is barely existant. My parent's pond is about 1/2 acre, but suffers from a terrible Cattail problem.  Any suggestions on how to get rid of these things? 

Great thing about my pond is the dock me and my grandad built when I was about 14.  Lots of memories there.  Thing is still very sturdy too.   Everytime I go to visit my mom I go out to that dock and remember the fun times I had living on that pond as a kid and as a teen.

Just thought we needed a pond thread. 

WindyCityHog

Good thread...

When I was growing up....and living on the east side of Springdale....there was this spring fed pond out in the middle of a damn cow pasture....James Rathburn owned it.

Anyhow.....this little pond had the biggest damn crappie anywhere...Now, I can see some largemouth bass, bream,or catfish....but crappie?

Still boggled by it.....and it still produces.

Anyone know Eric Rathburn?

hogfan064

Crappie ponds are rare which is something I miss about my grandad's.  He loved crappie fishing and I think he stocked it with them.  From what I understand if you're going to put crappie in a pond that's all you can stock it with. 

pioneerhog

May 11, 2006, 10:00:11 pm #3 Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 10:06:22 pm by pioneerhog
My grandpa's has four ponds. One of them was stocked with Catfish and two others use to have decent bass and bream fishing. Although after years and years of the cattle tromping in and out of them pretty much everything has died out of the ponds, except for a bunch of bait size bream. The are in serious need of being cleaned out.

Now across the road from my grandpa is on of the best ponds around for bass, well it use to be anyway. You use to be able to sit over there and catch bass all day long. The owners started having problems with people going in there and keeping every bass they caught and that was one thing they didn't like, even with the landowner and my grandpa being very good friends we still had to throw back the bass. Well after this the landowner shut down fishing on the pond to everyone but has since told our famuly we can fish it. I haven't fished this pond since they started letting us again but my cousin does from time to time and says the bass have pretty much been caught out of the pond, he says all you catch is a few small ones. It is kinda sad to really, 6 and 7 pounders use to be common in that pond. The pond is still as good of bream pond as you will find.

chillinhoggie

We built a 7 acre pond on my parents farm about 10 yrs ago and stocked it with florida hybrid bass and crappie and cats....  You better bring a stringer and all the minnows you can carry...... I love it!!! there's nothing better than pulling em out all day long!!  The best is taking our kids down there and watching them get a bite every time the cast one in.... Great way to see their faces just light up!

Burnt Orange Sucks

I grew up pond fishing also. The great thing about it especially as a kid, you can catch your bait right there around the pond and catch just about any fish with what you found, anything from Bream to Catfish to turtles!!

I really enjoy it
TEXAS....NATIONAL FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS IN 70?71?72?73?74?75?76?77?78?79?80?81?82?83?84?85?86?87?88?89?90?91?92?93?94?95?96?97?98?99?00?01?02?03?04?05......wait, YES   05'