Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The offical "Show us your racks" thread.

Started by pioneerhog, May 09, 2006, 09:24:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: pioneerhog on October 22, 2008, 06:23:56 pm
I do believe I have been to that gas station a few times. It seems everytime I get there it is about the time the old lady needs to stop. I have seen some pictures of some nice deer in there.

yeah I always wonder where they get them cause they kill some freak nasty in that area.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

kodiakisland

Quote from: fortcityhog on December 21, 2007, 02:07:29 pm
that is a fallow deer. native to new zealand. they come in three main colors: chocolate, white, and spotted. here's a white one, but didnt score near as well.

Sorry, just had to correct this for those who may be interested.  Fallow deer are native to Europe.  They were introduced to New Zealand just like every other big game species there.  The only land mammals native to New Zealand are bats.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

trphog

Quote from: kodiakisland on October 23, 2008, 03:51:38 am
Sorry, just had to correct this for those who may be interested.  Fallow deer are native to Europe.  They were introduced to New Zealand just like every other big game species there.  The only land mammals native to New Zealand are bats.

How do they taste?

SultanofSwine

Bats are like ringnecks and shovelers, put 'em in your gumbo and add lots of garlic... ;)

kodiakisland

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Snort and Squeal

Is it any coincidence that we bleed red???  I think not!

razorback4ever

Here's the buck I got with my bow on opening morning of rifle season on Wedington WMA near Fayetteville. He is offically a 10 point, but could be called an 11 point if you count the forked brow tine. He green scores approx. 150 B&C and should easily make Pope & Young. The unique thing about him was he only had 1 toe on the right rear leg.

razorback4ever

November 10, 2008, 12:02:34 pm #157 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 12:05:50 pm by razorback4ever
More

razorback4ever

razorback4ever

razorback4ever

Every one seems suprised I took this big guy on public land. Guess I got lucky. I saw this deer 2 days before when I was looking for a place to put my stand on opening morning, jumping him from his bed. I was suprised to see him return to that same area.

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

clifflee4mvp

wow! that's a beauty! Especially for wedington
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

razorback4ever

Quote from: clifflee4mvp on November 10, 2008, 04:14:19 pm
wow! that's a beauty! Especially for wedington

I've had that reaction quite a bit. My cousin claims to have hunted that very ridge just a few days earlier and several times the last month without even seeing a deer. That morning a hot doe came through within 10 yards of my stand followed by this bruiser a few minutes later. Once this guy hit the ground, I had enough time to nock another arrow and sit back down, realizing another buck was following the same doe. I could have taken the small 6 point, but I let him walk on by and follow the doe, as both were headed toward my buddy. He ended up taking the doe when the buck wouldn't present him with a shot, despite repeated passes through his kill zone.
I wish I had brought something to capture Miss from both animals in, because she was hot to trot and he was in full rut. Ow well.

razorback4ever

clutch

I shot a buck a couple years ago that had only one toe.

That bucks a bruiser razorback4ever. Lots of mass.

VetRock

November 10, 2008, 09:06:23 pm #166 Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:08:39 pm by VetRock
Fun story:
I bought a Montana Decoy.  I was disappointed with it out of the box, but decided to give it a whirl.

I put it out in a field upwind of a thicket.  Sprinkled some Tink's Doe in Heat on it.  Grunted.

A few minutes later a spike appeared staring at the decoy, then I heard a grunt.  Got the gun ready, and out walked a nice (for Arkansas) 8 point. He had his eyes glued on the decoy. I took aim and pulled the trigger.  It snapped.  I didn't have one in the chamber.

I pulled the gun back and hit the side of the metal deer stand with the gun, CLANG, then worked the lever action, CHINK CHINK.  Well, I had his attention.  I got the chest in my sites quickly, and let off a round. 

We found very little blood, but he only made it about 50 yards.  I had shot a little low, but his heart was destroyed.

13.5" spread. G3's measured 7". 3.5" base.  The deer was about 180 lbs.  I am going to european mount him.
"Gaps!"
"Gaps?"
"Yeah, Gaps.  She got gaps, I got gaps, together we got no gaps."
---From The Movie "Rocky"

clutch

razorback4ever

Quote from: VetRock on November 10, 2008, 09:06:23 pm
Fun story:
I bought a Montana Decoy.  I was disappointed with it out of the box, but decided to give it a whirl.

I put it out in a field upwind of a thicket.  Sprinkled some Tink's Doe in Heat on it.  Grunted.

A few minutes later a spike appeared staring at the decoy, then I heard a grunt.  Got the gun ready, and out walked a nice (for Arkansas) 8 point. He had his eyes glued on the decoy. I took aim and pulled the trigger.  It snapped.  I didn't have one in the chamber.

I pulled the gun back and hit the side of the metal deer stand with the gun, CLANG, then worked the lever action, CHINK CHINK.  Well, I had his attention.  I got the chest in my sites quickly, and let off a round. 

We found very little blood, but he only made it about 50 yards.  I had shot a little low, but his heart was destroyed.

13.5" spread. G3's measured 7". 3.5" base.  The deer was about 180 lbs.  I am going to european mount him.

Fine buck Vet. That decoy probably bought you a few extra seconds from the sound of it.

J.A.Y.

I love stories like that... nice buck vetrock.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

J.A.Y.

There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

HuntnHog

1st hog with a bow and arrow
8pt with muzzle loader
10 pt with rifle

It's been a fun year!

Flying Razorback

November 29, 2008, 08:41:06 pm #172 Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 08:58:24 pm by FlyingRzrbkAF
Well here we go.  I had one day to hunt this season and it was this past Tuesday.  The Air Force moved me to Oklahoma this year so this is my first ever hunt outside of Arkansas.  I met a man in town who said he'd take me whenever I wanted to go so I jumped on the opportunity.  All I have to say is... wow.  I saw more deer in one day than I have in multiple seasons combined in my Fordyce woods.  I saw 50+ deer with several 8 points a ton of spikes and a funky 7 point that I let walk because I was having so much fun I didn't want to end the day.  My friend saw 142 from atop a hill.

I sat on a 1000 acre lease up in far Northwest Oklahoma in a tripod overlooking a large wheat field.  It was a new experience because I had 900 yards straight ahead, and 200 yards each to the cuts on either side of me.  I showed up with my .30-30 and my friend suggested I take one of his rifles, I'm glad I did.  I was lined up on a very nice 8 point in the morning but he was sitting out at 220 yards (thanks to a laser range finder I was sent out with).  I wasn't used to taking those kinds of shots so I had to let him go.  I was hating myself as dusk came because I wished I had taken a shot on him.  Then at about 5 PM I had 7 doe in the field and a 4 pointer came out.  I decided to mess with him some before I left and use a grunt on him to try and see if I could get him to walk in for practice.  I grunted a few times and he stopped and actually took a step or two forward while staring right at me.  A nice doe in the middle of the field started dancing and prancing around every time I grunted so I did it a few more times.  Just then out of the corner of my eye I saw a streak moving in from the hills next to me.  I pulled up my binoculars and saw this 8 point come charging in straight at that doe.  He pulled up and stopped with his tail and ears straight up and staring at me.  I grunted again and he started running and hopped the fence into my field.  I got him in the scope and started making decisions.  He was 160 yards out and I said "I'm doing it."  I got myself ready and then the doe jumped and I saw his muscles clinch to move so I rushed myself and pulled the trigger.

I missed.

All the deer went sprinting and he went at a 30 degree angle away from me longways across the field.  I immediately ran the bolt and cycled a new round in and reacquired him.  I didn't think I hit him but wanted to get him again in case I just wounded him.  Right before he entered the cut he stopped one more time.  I calmed myself, lined the horizontal bar directly with his spine and squeezed.  He dropped immediately, made one kick, and laid to rest.  I lased him to see the distance and he was right at 230 yards.  Not bad for an offhand shot on my first long range kill (Go Air Force).  I gathered everything, kept an eye on him, and moved in.  He never made another move.  When I got to him I found a brow tine I hadn't seen making him a 9 point.  He weighed in at a hair under 140.  I know not impressive to many on here, but it's the largest deer I have ever harvested so I'm proud.  I pulled my light out and signaled my friend and he drove out to meet me.  I had never successfully grunted in a deer and didn't think it was possible.  It may never work again.  I also had never shot at a deer beyond 80 yards but have taken 100-200 yard shots on the range.  I had a blast and looks like I'll be laying my money down and campaigning with my friends for my shot at a lease next year. 

Please excuse the blood, I don't know where it all came from because the meat was fine.  I know it's not classy/respectful but I wanted pictures.  He was shot straight through the spine on the middle of his back so I must have pulled back a little and the bullet didn't drop much.  I was told the rifle was sighted for 200 yards dead on.  I thought he was gutshot as I approached but he wasn't, must have just been the entry the bullet made.  I'm also glad I made the shot because he was clipped on his front elbow when I shot low, and I would have hated to leave a wounded deer.

My view:

My deer:

My deer and a Bob Dozier K-30 Whitetail Skinner.  Best/sharpest knives in the world and all stamped "Arkansas Made".  If you don't have one, pick one up.:
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

shakedown

went to kansas for 10 days, took 150 pics and passed three deer that would score 130+, the blurry pic is of the biggest deer i have ever seen, it was a monster. he got with in 60 yards twice, 10 yards to far.... it was an amazing trip. cant wait until next year.

woodrow hog call

Shakedown, were you on your own up there or on a guided hunt? I'm already saving up for next year, I want to go and see those kind of deer for myself, not that I don't believe you thats good proof youv'e got. I just want to know what it feels like to have a monster like that coming toward me on a stand, and bowhunting would the best way to harvest a trophy like that.
      Good idea taking your camera to the stand with you also.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

shakedown

Quote from: woodrow hog call on December 18, 2008, 02:46:22 pm
Shakedown, were you on your own up there or on a guided hunt? I'm already saving up for next year, I want to go and see those kind of deer for myself, not that I don't believe you thats good proof youv'e got. I just want to know what it feels like to have a monster like that coming toward me on a stand, and bowhunting would the best way to harvest a trophy like that.
      Good idea taking your camera to the stand with you also.

i am origanlly from kansas... moved in the 6th grade. my uncle has a ranch and row crop farm out there, (in pawnee county-one of the 3 best Units to hunt in Kansas) its about 5000 acres split by the arkansas river and a few creeks. all i do is bow hunt. it was awesome, the whole experience was. i have about 200 pictures. i took a friend with me and between the two of us we saw 5-6 P&Y deer and basically all but 2 of them were in range... i saw that real tall 8 3 days in a row and he walked right under my stand, 12 steps....it was amazing, i would post more pics but even one pic is too large to post and its a pain to shrink them...

silverhawg

flyingrazrbkaf...you go son...great story, & nice deer...

woodrow hog call

Was the tall eight just not big enough, as far as mass an width? I honestly don't know if i could pass on that buck that close.

shakedown

it was a really nice deer, just not compared to the one in the blurry pick, i saw this big one 5-6 times while i was there, it was a monster. main beam ten with a split brow tine, perfectly symmetrical, it was huge. at least 150 inches or rack (or more)

woodrow hog call

I guess you're only allowed one buck? Could you kill a doe if you wanted to?

shakedown

Quote from: woodrow hog call on December 19, 2008, 04:45:49 pm
I guess you're only allowed one buck? Could you kill a doe if you wanted to?

yes, $350 for a tag, one deer either sex... may have been able to purchase additional doe tags, i know residents can, not sure about us non-residents... if you get a chance you should go.

felixjonesfan

puddlehog

Albert Einswine

Nice deer puddlehog!  Where was he taken?  That ditch and treeline reminds me of Bayou DeView west of Weiner.

Quote from: puddlehog on March 23, 2009, 05:26:09 pm

Dec. 26, 2008
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

felixjonesfan

clifflee4mvp

yeah he was the show stopper, game winner in the hogville deer tourney this year. Great deer Puddle

puddlehog

March 24, 2009, 09:09:53 pm #186 Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:12:26 pm by puddlehog
Thanks!   Northeast Arkansas.

akantho

I killed this one during Thanksgiving break.  It was the first big trophy I had taken in a few years.  It scored a 157 on the B&C scale before deductions and weighed 230 pounds.  Killed it early enough during the day to make it back and catch the entire LSU game.

I'm getting a European mount for the rack. 

Also, I'm blurring my face for anonymity.

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: akantho on April 24, 2009, 01:18:11 am
I killed this one during Thanksgiving break.  It was the first big trophy I had taken in a few years.  It scored a 157 on the B&C scale before deductions and weighed 230 pounds.  Killed it early enough during the day to make it back and catch the entire LSU game.

I'm getting a European mount for the rack. 

Also, I'm blurring my face for anonymity.

nice buck, where'd you take him?

akantho

Quote from: clifflee4mvp on April 24, 2009, 01:19:57 am
nice buck, where'd you take him?

Thanks.  I took him in south Texas.  Probably around 50-75 miles from Mexico. 

Also, a little more info on the deer.  They aged it at approximately 6 1/2 years old and it is a 7x5 12 point.  I can't remember the specifics, but the spread was hovering around the 20 inch range, maybe a slight bit lower.  The mass helped the score quite a bit.

clifflee4mvp

thought he looked like a texas deer especially with the back drop behind you. He's a bruiser for sure though

littlec29

May 07, 2009, 11:59:44 pm #191 Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:12:23 am by littlec29
2005 ML season, opening day. Gross score 172 5/8 and net score 164 3/8 non-typical at the Big Buck Classic. 207#'s, 13pts

littlec29

May 08, 2009, 12:10:49 am #192 Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 12:16:11 am by littlec29
More photos

HawgCan

I don't know what you have to do to post a picture off of your HD on here.  I have tried everything I know to do and I can't even find an option close on here.

clifflee4mvp

try clicking reply and then clicking additional options and attaching a pic

if not sign up for photobucket or image shack (free uploading sites) and then copy and paste the IMG code when the pic is uploaded.

texass

Killed this one November of 2007. He was chasing a doe, but I got him to come back out with my grunt call. 8pt with 18 1/2" spread.

Not sure how much he weighed, but he was by far the biggest bodied deer I've seen in person.

gotyacovered

shot this sat evening. southwest Arkansas on private land. 130 (exactly) B&C
You are what you tolerate.

clutch

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 26, 2009, 09:36:06 am

Thats a hell of a deer for South Arkansas. Great kill man.

gotyacovered

You are what you tolerate.

spit

Quote from: gotyacovered on October 26, 2009, 09:36:06 am

how wide is that deer?  how tall that G2?  looks from pic like would score more than 130??  Did you score it yourself?