Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So, it started with me just wanting to tan a deer hide...anyone ever made a hunting knife?

Started by Ugly Uncle, January 04, 2014, 01:11:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Uncle

I decided that I wanted to be able to make clothing or something out of the deer hides that I had killed.

That led me to wanting to do it all naturally...with brains and all.

Which led me to wanting to do something with all of the animal.

Which made me want to make a knife handle out of the antlers.

I was just going to make the handle and use a blade from some other knife.  But then I read how to make a blade out of a file.

So, here I am now...with these things as priority.  1.  Make a knife as primitive as I can.  2.  Make the handle out of antler.  3.  Make sinew glue to use on knife instead of mass produced glue.  4.  Tan deer hide to make sheath and vest or coat.  5.  Go coon hunting and make a coon skin cap for my son.

Has anyone ever made a knife out of scrap metal or a file?  I've been watching videos on how to do it and I think I have the idea.  I want to make something that I can say "I did it" even if it is only once.  At least I can say I have done it and I know how to do it.  I think it would be something great to pass down to one of my kids as something that I made and I made it all from scratch and materials I had to work with.

If you have ever done something like this I would appreciate your advice and tips.  If you haven't and you live up here close to NWA and want to do this together I think it would be fun.  If you want to do this on your own and us continue to pass along our progress that would be great.

Again, if you have ever attempted something like this before I would really appreciate any input you have.  I'm on the search for a cheap file at thrift stores and pawn shops.  I want to see if I can make a quality useable knife that looks good for next to nothing.  Let me know your thoughts.
Retired Radio Host

DeltaBoy

Google and join The High Road they have a good sub forum on Knifes and making them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

FORTVEGAS

AcornHunter

Sis lives in South Carolina.  Her friendly neighbor makes knives and allows her to pick up pecans (Stuarts) out of his yard.  She gives him Stuart-studded brownies and other goodies.

Friend made a knife for our son.  Son, a harvester of game, won't use it, says it's too pretty.  Sis made a beautiful sheathe for it.  Both are eye-catching works of art.  As a thank you, I sent Friend via Sis some cured deer antlers, deer steaks, home-made whole hog sausage, and sweet potatoes.

Time rolls along and I'm thinking:  I have numerous very seasoned, bodark (Osage Orange) posts in that old post pile.  The grains tight.  In skilled hands they might make good knife handles.  I cut some manageable lengths of pretty yellow wood and send them to friend via Sis, along with some more things LORD provides.

More time is in the past.  Friend via Sis sends me a home-made knife with a pretty, yellow bodark handle.  It's sheathed in some more of Sis's art work.  The knife is too pretty to use.

UU, don't make it too pretty!  You won't want to use it.

We live in a wonderful world.

Have fun.

1highhog

UU, my best friend is a Master Bladesmith, if you contact him through his website he will answer about anything you would want to know about the art of forging and I know you're in NWA but they are having their annual blade show in Little Rock, it will be mentioned on his website.  His love of the forged blade knows no bounds, he's learned from the best and has been doing it for years.  http://www.rheaknives.com

Tom in Fort Worth

There is a book called $50.00 Knife Shop (revised) by Wayne Goddard I am currently reading. I recommend it.  I don't know what kind of shop/tools you have at your disposal but this book simplify's the process using everyday tools.  Also, there is a facebook page I am a member of called "students of knife making".  You can ask questions and even the veterans on the page are very helpful. I am also gearing up to build my first handmade knife. I can tell you these 2 resources are going to be very helpful.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: hogfan76110 on April 16, 2014, 08:59:00 pm
There is a book called $50.00 Knife Shop (revised) by Wayne Goddard I am currently reading. I recommend it.  I don't know what kind of shop/tools you have at your disposal but this book simplify's the process using everyday tools.  Also, there is a facebook page I am a member of called "students of knife making".  You can ask questions and even the veterans on the page are very helpful. I am also gearing up to build my first handmade knife. I can tell you these 2 resources are going to be very helpful.

That is awesome man.  Thanks for the links.
Retired Radio Host

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 11, 2014, 09:38:23 am
Update Ched did you get on this or not.

I have researched several ways to make a knife and I'm looking forward to making one over the holidays.  I've got the materials now, I just need to see if I can find a grinder and sander.
Retired Radio Host

PonderinHog

theFlyingHog

Well this is old but I just watched a couple episodes of Forged in Fire for the first time and I now have a strong desire to make a Damascus knife.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: theFlyingHog on May 21, 2017, 10:23:37 pm
Well this is old but I just watched a couple episodes of Forged in Fire for the first time and I now have a strong desire to make a Damascus knife.

I know.  I'm addicted to that show now.
Retired Radio Host

DeltaBoy

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Hog_Swanson on August 22, 2017, 12:06:18 pm
Well, did you make that knife or not?  We want pics.

No.  I want the handle from the deer this year.  My son killed his first deer last year and I thought I would use the antler to make the handle...but he wanted to mount the rack.  So, hopefully this year he will get him one and we can make it together or I'll take the antler of one I kill this year (if I kill one...don't want to jinx myself) and have the handle material then make the knife to match it.
Retired Radio Host

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on August 22, 2017, 05:16:10 pm
No.  I want the handle from the deer this year.  My son killed his first deer last year and I thought I would use the antler to make the handle...but he wanted to mount the rack.  So, hopefully this year he will get him one and we can make it together or I'll take the antler of one I kill this year (if I kill one...don't want to jinx myself) and have the handle material then make the knife to match it.
Post pics through out the process.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

Silence O the Hams

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Silence O the Hams on April 21, 2018, 03:03:40 pm
So, did you make it this time? 

I haven't.  I still watch forged in fire every chance I get, and say, "one of these days..."  In Mnt. View they have a guy up there that teaches a class where you can come in and make your own.  I'm going to check in to that.
Retired Radio Host

DeltaBoy

TXArcher

First pic was made from a bar of damascus, 2nd and 3rd we from old farriers rasps.