Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

OFFICIAL 2011-12 Hunting contest

Started by SultanofSwine, September 29, 2011, 09:54:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

str8volfan

dammit, we meant to enter this but forgot........

SultanofSwine

Blake, added him in. Again congrats on a great deer.

str8volfan

turboL

SultanofSwine

kodiakisland

November 25, 2011, 08:57:32 am #55 Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 09:57:57 am by kodiakisland
No deer so far.  Got my daughter on a great 8 point but she couldn't get the shot off.

So far All I'm seeing are coyotes in my favorite spot.  I haven't shot them all, but I am starting to get the numbers down

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

adave

Kodiak, what caliber is that international stock? I have a 243, my first rifle my dad got me when I was 11. What scope do you have on it?

kodiakisland

It is a 250/3000.  It is the older model with the tang safety.  It has a burris mini 4X from the '80s.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

SultanofSwine

Updated with kodiak's coyote. Good pics and congrats on ending his existance.

kodiakisland

Quote from: SultanofSwine on November 28, 2011, 02:13:19 pm
Updated with kodiak's coyote. Good pics and congrats on ending his existance.

All three were females.  We've shot 7 since deer season started.  Saw 2 more this morning but I couldn't get a shot at them.  We're seeing far less deer than normal and more coyotes than we normally see all year.

deshahawg

My team stinks! I want a better one next year if I get to hunt.

SultanofSwine

Quote from: deshahawg on November 30, 2011, 07:20:27 am

Season isnt close to over. Get out there and make something happen.

Albert Einswine

I stink!  I'm doing nothing for my crew.  Arkansas hunting plans fell through (kinda the story of my season thus far) and only one place to hunt in Indiana, and that not an optimal situation.

We're in the closed week of the season now, so I won't be able to get back out til next week.  Gonna work as hard as I can to get some points on the board until it's all over with on January 7th.

I hate the way Indiana works their season.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

RedRiverHog

Quote from: deshahawg on November 30, 2011, 07:20:27 am

The season is not over yet and/or postings may or may not have been submitted yet.

;)
Quote from: cosmodrum on December 23, 2011, 12:45:49 pm
Then I luuuuuvs the dick.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is free to combat it"  - Thomas Jefferson

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

SultanofSwine

Got dat wood on the potluck board finally.

Albert Einswine

December 07, 2011, 08:53:17 am #65 Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:55:04 am by Albert Einswine
So, I went out yesterday morning determined to put some points on the board for team Got Dat Wood and I carried my muzzleloader instead of my bow.  I don't normally hunt with a firearm but it's getting late in the season so I broke from my norm.

I loaded it up with pyrodex pellets I've had for a while and got on my stand around 7:45.  Hadn't been sitting down 10 minutes when a respectable 8 point walked down the hill, crossed the creek and walked straight for me.  This was an old buck in decline, his entire face was as white as snow, I've never seen a deer with his entire face whited out like that.

Anyway, I was wishing I had carried my bow (which was in the truck) out with me.  I watched him for a while, could have shot him at any point, but I let him work out in front of me and when he was about 25 yards out quartering away I leveled off and sighted in on his boiler works and squeezed the trigger...

My primer snapped and then something akin to a cross between a 4th of July sparkler and a roman candle lurched out of my barrel.  The sabot couldn't have hit the ground more than 15 feet from the base of my tree!  I looked for it when I got down.  I can laugh about it now (would love to have a video of it) but in the moment I was pretty pissed.

I pulled the breech plug while I was sitting there just to make sure everything cleared the barrel and the deer just trotted off confused.  Went back to the house and tried another load of the pellets and sure enough it was all crap.

This is a synopsis of my season...
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hogcoots

Don't give up, AE.  I have a feeling that your run of luck this season is about to turn around.

SultanofSwine

Arent we having the season? One of my primary hunting areas is now closed due to high water. May be slim pickings from here on out. May have to see about a recurve duck hunt if I can come up with enuff flu-flu's.

str8volfan

deshahawg

Quote from: SultanofSwine on December 05, 2011, 07:09:25 am
Got dat wood on the potluck board finally.

Is that a pot bellied pig? Looks like old piggly wiggly I use to have as a pet.

deshahawg

Quote from: Albert Einswine on December 07, 2011, 08:53:17 am
So, I went out yesterday morning determined to put some points on the board for team Got Dat Wood and I carried my muzzleloader instead of my bow.  I don't normally hunt with a firearm but it's getting late in the season so I broke from my norm.

I loaded it up with pyrodex pellets I've had for a while and got on my stand around 7:45.  Hadn't been sitting down 10 minutes when a respectable 8 point walked down the hill, crossed the creek and walked straight for me.  This was an old buck in decline, his entire face was as white as snow, I've never seen a deer with his entire face whited out like that.

Anyway, I was wishing I had carried my bow (which was in the truck) out with me.  I watched him for a while, could have shot him at any point, but I let him work out in front of me and when he was about 25 yards out quartering away I leveled off and sighted in on his boiler works and squeezed the trigger...

My primer snapped and then something akin to a cross between a 4th of July sparkler and a roman candle lurched out of my barrel.  The sabot couldn't have hit the ground more than 15 feet from the base of my tree!  I looked for it when I got down.  I can laugh about it now (would love to have a video of it) but in the moment I was pretty pissed.

I pulled the breech plug while I was sitting there just to make sure everything cleared the barrel and the deer just trotted off confused.  Went back to the house and tried another load of the pellets and sure enough it was all crap.

This is a synopsis of my season...

I've seen 6 spikes this year. I'd love to have your situation happen. This is the first year in who knows when I haven't seen a shooter buck.....much less one that was legal.

SultanofSwine

turboL

December 09, 2011, 03:18:54 pm #72 Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 03:38:18 pm by turboL
Just got back from the lease in texas, killed 3 does (dont have pics of any of them right now, unimpressive) a spike elk (got loose off a high fence that borders the ranch, a black buck and a 8 point with the bow.  Can post back of license for proof on the 3 does, working on uploading buck pics now.

SultanofSwine

Now that's stackin 'em like cord wood!!! Congrats!!

All bow kills?

turboL

Only the whitetail and one of the does were a bow kill.

SultanofSwine

HuntnHog

SultanofSwine

HuntinHog

Quote from: HuntnHog on December 15, 2011, 10:21:21 am
Coyote that I got this weekend.

We've got the luckiest coyote in the world.

Opening bow weekend he walks out but so does a buck so I can't take him out. 

Opening MG, one of my cousins is sitting in a box stand, same coyote walks out, he gets him in the scope but right beore he pulls the trigger the window on the box stand comes unlatched and falls in front of the scope.  Coyote runs away.

Two weeks after that I see the coyote out the back window and a different cousin grabbed my 300 and tried to shoot him at about 250 yards.  Coyote was trotting and my cousin missed.

Last week a friend was bow hunting and tried to shoot him at 40 yards, arrow went right under him.

Stupid thing can't be killed.

turboL

Quote from: SultanofSwine on December 13, 2011, 03:25:43 pm
Need the spread on the whitetail.

Its at the taxidermist getting ready to fix all the busted up points.  Will hopefully get that tonight if last year's mount is ready to be picked up

southeasthog

Quote from: turboL on December 16, 2011, 09:37:50 am
Its at the taxidermist getting ready to fix all the busted up points.  Will hopefully get that tonight if last year's mount is ready to be picked up
I have a question and I am not trying to be judgmental. Why would you want to have the broken points fixed. I can see it if they got broke after you shot him by running into a tree or what not. If you are having him mounted, don't you want him to look like he did when you harvested him? Again, I am not trying to tell you what you should do or not. Just curious as to why guys do this. Nice kills by the way.
Quote from: 1990sHogBallChild on March 04, 2023, 04:08:32 pmWe have peaked... lucked his way to two elite 8s by getting the most favorable draws in tourney history. Beat the most over-rated 1 seed in the history of college basketball in Gonzaga who would be a 6 seed if they played in a real conference. Then Muss's other 5 tourney wins are against an average of a 12 seed. A few dozen coaches could have done that. Two losing records in SEC play is as much as MA had in 8 years.

BlakeHOGfanatic

Quote from: southeasthog on December 17, 2011, 08:10:58 am
I have a question and I am not trying to be judgmental. Why would you want to have the broken points fixed. I can see it if they got broke after you shot him by running into a tree or what not. If you are having him mounted, don't you want him to look like he did when you harvested him? Again, I am not trying to tell you what you should do or not. Just curious as to why guys do this. Nice kills by the way.

I agree with this, I mean it might look better when you get it fixed up but you didn't kill it that way.  My buddy killed a deer a few years back that would of been an absolute giant but it was broke off past his G2 on one side so it wasn't.  He got it mounted and got a side from another big deer to put on it, looks great and is a trophy buck, but thats not what he killed.

SultanofSwine

Some potluck ducks - woodies, teal and mallards