Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4 Star Guard Khalil Garland is a Hog!

Started by mhsbc59, July 16, 2016, 06:46:28 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mhsbc59

I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

FineAsSwine

BadHog

"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

hoglady

Great to see a Parkview product coming to the Hogs - shore up Central Arkansas.
Wonderful news!!
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

mhsbc59

I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Jonteviosk

You never know in advance what the outcome of any given situation is so either get busy living or get busy dying.

The_Iceman

Projected 2017-2018 Lineup:

G: Barford / Beard / Glasper
G: Macon / Garland / CJ Jones
F: Bailey / Hazen / Hall
F: Thomas / Cook
C: Thompson / Gafford

Or something like that. Four seniors in the starting lineup. Could be a solid back to back seasons for us. We will need a really solid 2018 class to recover from the depth and experience we'll lose after 2018 tho.

Danny J

Have given CMA a hard time in the past in regards to recruiting and have to give him props as of late. Starting to really sign some talented players.

HF#1

Quote from: Danny J on July 17, 2016, 10:01:26 pm
Have given CMA a hard time in the past in regards to recruiting and have to give him props as of late. Starting to really sign some talented players.

His latest successes in recruiting coincide with the adding of Scotty Thurman to the staff.  So it appears that move paid off for now.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

The_Iceman

Quote from: HF#1 on July 18, 2016, 11:36:53 am
His latest successes in recruiting coincide with the adding of Scotty Thurman to the staff.  So it appears that move paid off for now.

and the opening of the practice facility. But yes, Scotty has been a good addition. But Watkins did most of the heavy recruiting for Garland.

King Kong

Quote from: HF#1 on July 18, 2016, 11:36:53 am

Well, 100% Thurman got Hazen. But Khalil's Dad said Watkins was the main guy on Khalil.

Not saying Thurman didn't help. But he wasn't the main guy on Khalil

Danny J

The_Iceman

Quote from: Danny J on July 18, 2016, 02:18:06 pm
Things are looking up...

No doubt. Now that Mike has fixed his issues on the recruiting trail, I think we are going to see this program get on more solid ground. The stability and consistency that comes from having a coach in place for an extended period is going to really start paying off. Mike's ability to develop players is going to shine.

I would be surprised if we don't have back to back NCAA tournament runs here. With the in-state talent in 2018 and 2019, we could extend this out even further.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Danny J on July 17, 2016, 10:01:26 pm
Me too! Recruiting has changed 180 degrees over the last 6 months. I wasn't wrong though, recruiting was terrible

hoglady

Arkansas produces some great basketball talent.
If he continues to shore up our in state recruiting (you're always going to lose some) - we should be in good shape.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

root_hawg

12 pts 3 rebounds 2 assists in summer ball

FineAsSwine

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 17, 2016, 09:00:16 am
Projected 2017-2018 Lineup:

G: Barford / Beard / Glasper
G: Macon / Garland / CJ Jones
F: Bailey / Hazen / Hall
F: Thomas / Cook
C: Thompson / Gafford

Or something like that. Four seniors in the starting lineup. Could be a solid back to back seasons for us. We will need a really solid 2018 class to recover from the depth and experience we'll lose after 2018 tho.

😒🐗🐷🐖🔙🔛🔝🔜

farmhawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 18, 2016, 04:52:26 pm
No doubt. Now that Mike has fixed his issues on the recruiting trail, I think we are going to see this program get on more solid ground. The stability and consistency that comes from having a coach in place for an extended period is going to really start paying off. Mike's ability to develop players is going to shine.

I would be surprised if we don't have back to back NCAA tournament runs here. With the in-state talent in 2018 and 2019, we could extend this out even further.
Mike is and always will be a classy stand up guy. He will run the program right and now hopefully will win.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HoopS

His issues on the recruiting trail...

Explain those issues please.

The_Iceman

Quote from: HoopS on July 19, 2016, 11:18:24 am

Well, just go look at the 2015 recruiting class. Oh wait....there isn't one!

HoopS

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 19, 2016, 11:23:15 am
they were good signees when we signed them though. Didn't work out. But as for the recruiting trail, I wanted both of them when we recruited them. But also as for caliber of player potential, those two were high caliber so it isn't like he went from chasing scrubs go signing studs. That's what I consider the recruiting trail. Rolled the dice on Kapita. Didn't work, but I could see what he liked. Also glad he didn't entertain the thought again this last class. And Whitt was a good signee.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HoopS on July 19, 2016, 11:18:24 am

You really want to rehash this?

I'm not sure how much is fixed vs timing (state producing talent willing to go to the UA).

The JC connections and recruiting didn't really need fixing.  This has been a strength of his and his staff.

Got a recruit in Jones from Mike and TJ's hometown.  Again, a connection and recruiting "strength" (m.o.) which didn't need to be fixed.

Bailey - Similar to Qualls: athlete whose best offer was Arkansas

What is encouraging is it looks like MA may finally be building a team capable of playing how he wants.  This was a strength of his at UAB and Mizzou.  For some reasons (which had some legitimacy to them), he didn't through 5 seasons at Arkansas.  Good thing for him, and us hopefully, was he was afforded more time than most any other coach would have to get this "do over".  Now he can take advantage of this cycle of in state talent and the JC impact players. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HoopS on July 19, 2016, 11:41:31 am
they were good signees when we signed them though. Didn't work out. But as for the recruiting trail, I wanted both of them when we recruited them. But also as for caliber of player potential, those two were high caliber so it isn't like he went from chasing scrubs go signing studs. That's what I consider the recruiting trail. Rolled the dice on Kapita. Didn't work, but I could see what he liked. Also glad he didn't entertain the thought again this last class. And Whitt was a good signee.

Whitt - Another strength (m.o.) of this staff: recruiting those with ties to the staff whether through family or friends.  Something that didn't need fixing.

I am going to give the benefit of the doubt to the move from Zim to ST as to it being a positive and a help.  A fix if you will.

The university/athl dept made a "fix" when they built the practice center as well.  It hasn't hurt.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HoopS

I think we are on the same page. I'm not sure he didn't know how to recruit or that he needed fixing, as much as some circumstances didn't play out as we hoped. But to hear it stated as "fixing issues on recruiting trail" just reads to me as if he changed his tactics. Etc. I don't think we changed tactics.  I think that 1. We had more spots to fill and 2. There were some good options who fit our needs.

All that said, and you know I'm onboard with coach, we've yet to play a game with these recruits. While I expect good results, we still don't know. Remember many of us felt Whitt was an outstanding recruit. We also loved Kapita's game and just hoped he was fully recovered and later hoped his transcript would come through. But at the time we signed them, I loved both recruits. I love this class too.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HoopS on July 19, 2016, 12:05:04 pm
I think we are on the same page. I'm not sure he didn't know how to recruit or that he needed fixing, as much as some circumstances didn't play out as we hoped. But to hear it stated as "fixing issues on recruiting trail" just reads to me as if he changed his tactics. Etc. I don't think we changed tactics.  I think that 1. We had more spots to fill and 2. There were some good options who fit our needs.

All that said, and you know I'm onboard with coach, we've yet to play a game with these recruits. While I expect good results, we still don't know. Remember many of us felt Whitt was an outstanding recruit. We also loved Kapita's game and just hoped he was fully recovered and later hoped his transcript would come through. But at the time we signed them, I loved both recruits. I love this class too.

I think we are too.  Not sure how much changed other than the asst change, added practice facility and the recruits willing to consider.  The availability of roster spots probably helped too along with being able to sell the fact we have roles which need to be filled.  Then you add the timing.  We have talked about this in that coaching success at many programs often comes down to timing including who they can attract to their program for whatever reasons - in our case in state maybe helping.

We've had this in state promise before though and it didn't work out.  So I can see where some may be in a wait and see mode.  And college bask is so transient as we know in both players and coaches - (we got the benefit with Garland and the Memphis change).  Roster even a few seasons from now may not be what expect as of now. 

Maybe someone has some added inside information as to what may have changed.  I'm not going to say effort as I believe Mike and staff was giving the effort. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 19, 2016, 11:49:19 am

I'm not sure how much is fixed vs timing (state producing talent willing to go to the UA).

The JC connections and recruiting didn't really need fixing.  This has been a strength of his and his staff.

Got a recruit in Jones from Mike and TJ's hometown.  Again, a connection and recruiting "strength" (m.o.) which didn't need to be fixed.

What is encouraging is it looks like MA may finally be building a team capable of playing how he wants.  This was a strength of his at UAB and Mizzou.  For some reasons (which had some legitimacy to them), he didn't through 5 seasons at Arkansas.  Good thing for him, and us hopefully, was he was afforded more time than most any other coach would have to get this "do over".  Now he can take advantage of this cycle of in state talent and the JC impact players.

Recruiting is not a microwave fix. If you are seeing gains today, it's because of work that was put in YEARS ago. How many years is the only question.

Breems

Something may be getting fixed. We've sucked really bad at in-state recruiting thus far, but now we've landed 2 solid in-state recruits, including one who didn't seem to start out as all-hog. The overall level of recruited talent seems to be on the rise also.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 19, 2016, 06:37:56 pm
Recruiting is not a microwave fix. If you are seeing gains today, it's because of work that was put in YEARS ago. How many years is the only question.

Coach A been in a 14 year recruiting slow cooker?

j/k

HogBreath

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 19, 2016, 11:23:15 am
With Coach Mike, even if there are not any players, it's still a really great class.

And it's been a great off season too, we're actually a off season final 4 team.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HoopS

Quote from: HogBreath on July 19, 2016, 09:37:18 pm
With Coach Mike, even if there are not any players, it's still a really great class.

And it's been a great off season too, we're actually a off season final 4 team.
when he signed them, it dang sure was a good class. That was why I specifically mentioned what he said about recruiting. Did they work out? No. Was I happy about signing them? Yep. And that's the point. I don't think that as far as skill goes that those guys were a bad class. They're both really good players.

Nipsey Mussle

If it's MA's fault when we don't land in-state talent, then shouldn't we assume he changed something for the better when we begin landing them?

Oh wait, he only has control over recruiting in-state talent when we don't land them. Got it..

Now can we get this back on Garland?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: BBsTheMan on July 20, 2016, 01:04:56 am
If it's MA's fault when we don't land in-state talent, then shouldn't we assume he changed something for the better when we begin landing them?

Oh wait, he only has control over recruiting in-state talent when we don't land them. Got it..

The Jumpball war is over. Peace has returned to the forum and the Hawgball resurgence has begun. Still, there are scattered pockets of resistance and unbelief. After the Spain campaign, our Hogs will return and drive their doubters into the sea of forgetfulness.

So it is written, so it shall be done.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BBsTheMan on July 20, 2016, 01:04:56 am

Back to childish darn again?  Direct this to those who bitched about Monk and Allen and blamed Anderson.  You want to make this about Garland?  Don't bring your whiney crap about what other's post.

I acknowledged we made a couple of changes and asked if anyone with inside knowledge wanted to add anything as to what may have changed making it obvious to anyone with a capability and willingness to read what is posted I am open to the belief other positive changes have been made.

Why didn't you or Fine direct this to HoopS as well? 

Quote from: HoopS on July 19, 2016, 12:05:04 pm

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 20, 2016, 08:30:36 am
The Jumpball war is over. Peace has returned to the forum and the Hawgball resurgence has begun. Still, there are scattered pockets of resistance and unbelief. After the Spain campaign, our Hogs will return and drive their doubters into the sea of forgetfulness.

So it is written, so it shall be done.

It should be over.  Don't see much doubting we will be better and should have a good season and the program looks to be heading up at least in the short term.

hogwood

Mike hasn't really changed his MO. What has changed is now he can sell stability and culture. He has built relationships over the years and he is still here, while other coaches have left or been fired. We are seeing the payoff of that as well. We also now have incredible facilities to throw in the deck. The opportunity to get a spot in building and performing for this program at this stage in Mike's career and the relationship between staff and university is attractive for in-state products as well as 4-star recruits and their families. With Mike's history here and the program trending up, these kids will be taken care of and their families recognize that. Stability and culture paying off again.

I have also been thinking that the Monk situation really impacted some of the kids at least from this 2017 class as well as Justice Hill. Monk's image was soured and younger kids who want to continue rooting for the Hogs saw the damage that situation caused. Right after that you saw the Hill family step up, almost in a response to the Monks. Now the 2017 class has stepped up as well. So we might be able to thank Monk for something, calling all the real Arkansans to stand up. Now the 2017 class and Hill in 2019 are coming together and saying they want to build something special with Mike for Arkansas and they have the loaded 2018 class sandwiched between them while also being active tecruiters of the 2018 peers. I am still not so confident as to say that the 2018 kids will step up, but it's looking good and now the precedent has been set.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 20, 2016, 10:15:04 am
It should be over.  Don't see much doubting we will be better and should have a good season and the program looks to be heading up at least in the short term.

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 20, 2016, 10:08:35 am

Have a Snicker's. I think you are a good and logical poster. Grumpy in tone? Yes, at times (like a Bill O'Reilly). Still, your posts are pretty well thought out. I was just taking a friendly jab at you. I'm so glad about how good things are looking (on paper) that I don't get upset as easily as I used too. Anywayz, Go Hogs!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 20, 2016, 11:06:13 am
Have a Snicker's. I think you are a good and logical poster. Grumpy in tone? Yes, at times (like a Bill O'Reilly). Still, your posts are pretty well thought out. I was just taking a friendly jab at you. I'm so glad about how good things are looking (on paper) that I don't get upset as easily as I used too. Anywayz, Go Hogs!

Agreed ;D

Quote from: hogwood on July 20, 2016, 10:55:27 am
Mike hasn't really changed his MO. What has changed is now he can sell stability and culture. He has built relationships over the years and he is still here, while other coaches have left or been fired. We are seeing the payoff of that as well. We also now have incredible facilities to throw in the deck. The opportunity to get a spot in building and performing for this program at this stage in Mike's career and the relationship between staff and university is attractive for in-state products as well as 4-star recruits and their families. With Mike's history here and the program trending up, these kids will be taken care of and their families recognize that. Stability and culture paying off again.

I have also been thinking that the Monk situation really impacted some of the kids at least from this 2017 class as well as Justice Hill. Monk's image was soured and younger kids who want to continue rooting for the Hogs saw the damage that situation caused. Right after that you saw the Hill family step up, almost in a response to the Monks. Now the 2017 class has stepped up as well. So we might be able to thank Monk for something, calling all the real Arkansans to stand up. Now the 2017 class and Hill in 2019 are coming together and saying they want to build something special with Mike for Arkansas and they have the loaded 2018 class sandwiched between them while also being active tecruiters of the 2018 peers. I am still not so confident as to say that the 2018 kids will step up, but it's looking good and now the precedent has been set.

Good thoughts.  Interesting theory on the Monk effect. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogwood on July 20, 2016, 10:55:27 am

Seeing Bobby Portis dominate in the Summer League with the chance to be a rotational player for the Bulls next year doesn't hurt that either. Bobby repping Arkansas is going to encourage others to come and do the same. College basketball is so much about brand and image now. Kids want to go to a place that is seen as "cool". With our facilities, Portis (and hopefully Qualls), and Mike bringing stability to the coaching position...our program has become a lot more attractive.

Kids know that Mike is probably going to be here their entire time here. They hate coaching changes. Mike is also a very loyal coach (sometimes to a fault). What the 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes are going to do for this program cannot be over-stated. We are trending upward at the best time. While I wish Mike wouldn't have squandered the momentum from 2015, he has redeemed himself with these two recruiting classes.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 20, 2016, 11:10:59 am
Agreed ;D

Good thoughts.  Interesting theory on the Monk effect. 

The way Arkansas treats its instate players should be a huge selling point. At Kentucky or Florida, when you are done, they discard you just as any other athlete. At Arkansas, we take care of our own. You'll be a celebrity for life. Look at Stoerner, Pat Bradley, Matt Jones, etc.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on July 20, 2016, 10:08:35 am
Back to childish darn again?  Direct this to those who bitched about Monk and Allen and blamed Anderson.  You want to make this about Garland?  Don't bring your whiney crap about what other's post.

I acknowledged we made a couple of changes and asked if anyone with inside knowledge wanted to add anything as to what may have changed making it obvious to anyone with a capability and willingness to read what is posted I am open to the belief other positive changes have been made.

You said you didn't know how much was fixed vs timing. Very few take that approach when MA misses an in-state recruit. It's clear that I touched a nerve, which is usually derived from the truth hurting a bit too much.

Call it childish if that helps, I tend to think of it as pointing out the flawed thinking of the majority of our fan base.

Now may I carry on to Garland or do you feel the need to respond with all your feels out there again?

hogwood

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 20, 2016, 11:18:47 am
Seeing Bobby Portis dominate in the Summer League with the chance to be a rotational player for the Bulls next year doesn't hurt that either. Bobby repping Arkansas is going to encourage others to come and do the same. College basketball is so much about brand and image now. Kids want to go to a place that is seen as "cool". With our facilities, Portis (and hopefully Qualls), and Mike bringing stability to the coaching position...our program has become a lot more attractive.

Kids know that Mike is probably going to be here their entire time here. They hate coaching changes. Mike is also a very loyal coach (sometimes to a fault). What the 2016 and 2017 recruiting classes are going to do for this program cannot be over-stated. We are trending upward at the best time. While I wish Mike wouldn't have squandered the momentum from 2015, he has redeemed himself with these two recruiting classes.

I do think Bobby's success has helped with the instate kids. He has maintained strong LR ties and has invested in the Wings. The young kids from LR are looking up to Bobby no doubt. But I don't think he's really a big selling point for out of state prospects. Sure it helps to have produced a pro, but he wasn't drafted high and didn't really breakout last year. If he does this year then I think that can be a huge advantage for us especially if Moses also dominates the SEC. Our big man development will be a very solid selling point if Bobby and Moses succeed.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogwood on July 20, 2016, 09:38:51 pm
I do think Bobby's success has helped with the instate kids. He has maintained strong LR ties and has invested in the Wings. The young kids from LR are looking up to Bobby no doubt. But I don't think he's really a big selling point for out of state prospects. Sure it helps to have produced a pro, but he wasn't drafted high and didn't really breakout last year. If he does this year then I think that can be a huge advantage for us especially if Moses also dominates the SEC. Our big man development will be a very solid selling point if Bobby and Moses succeed.

Yeah, I think Bobby winning SEC Player of the Year showed the in-state kids that they can come here, make their own name, be successful, and they don't have to leave home to make it.

jackflash

Mike doing as better job of recruiting. Something I didn't think he could do. So I need to say I was wrong

FineAsSwine

Quote from: jackflash on July 21, 2016, 10:08:39 am
Mike doing as better job of recruiting. Something I didn't think he could do. So I need to say I was wrong

Better man than most. Kudos to you sir.