Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bobby Portis putting in work during an NBA Summer League Game

Started by Arkansas WR, July 09, 2016, 09:08:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkansas WR

The official NBA YouTube account gave him his own highlight video for one of the games he played.

https://youtu.be/hP46imo2XCM

PonderinHog

Looks like he's filled out some.  Thanks for posting that.  It was good!  :razorback:

bulldog04

On that one jump shot, the release looked a lot better

rzrbackramsfan

thebignasty

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 09, 2016, 09:26:20 pm
Looks like he's filled out some.  Thanks for posting that.  It was good!  :razorback:
He does look bigger.

RzRbAcK18

Saw an interview with Hoiberg who said it was a tough transition from Anderson's style of D to NBA D. Thoughts on that? Will that be a negative for our future players in the draft?

Dr. Starcs

Hasn't ever seemed to effect Syracuse players with their 2-3 zone.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: RzRbAcK18 on July 10, 2016, 09:48:36 pm
Saw an interview with Hoiberg who said it was a tough transition from Anderson's style of D to NBA D. Thoughts on that? Will that be a negative for our future players in the draft?

No. NBA has and alway will draft the players with the best combination of Size, Athletic Ability and Skill.

Sam Smith who has covered the NBA and the Bulls for some 30+ years said BP's defense is no further behind than any other Rookies defense. He said all rookies struggle with the NBA's man help defense, which is unlike anything in college basketball due to different spacing and the lack zone defenses

hogman99

Agree, its hard to go from running at someone or switching every time to playing real defense.

FineAsSwine

And then they draft Bobby in the 1st round.... must not be that big of a deal.

King Kong

Quote from: hogman99 on July 11, 2016, 12:41:04 pm
Agree, its hard to go from running at someone or switching every time to playing real defense.

Have you seen the NBA? All it is is switching and running at people for double teams. It's not full court press but it ain't just straight man to man. Well atleast against teams with good players

yraciv

"It's been different," Portis said last week after practice. "Coming from college to this is very different. College is more up-and-down, tempo type of thing. NBA is more confined and structure-based. It's different because at my college, we didn't even run plays. We just got me the ball or got [Arkansas teammate] Mike Qualls the ball, a clear-out type thing. But now it's more of a dribble-drive, setting pick-and-rolls, pick-and-pops, so it's kind of different for me."

This was a quote from a bleacher report article.  I get the college game is different, but it's basically saying we don't run plays and just get ball in best players hands. Scary to think of, but doesn't surprise me knowing how our offense is stagnant on occasion.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: yraciv on July 11, 2016, 03:02:46 pm
"It's been different," Portis said last week after practice. "Coming from college to this is very different. College is more up-and-down, tempo type of thing. NBA is more confined and structure-based. It's different because at my college, we didn't even run plays. We just got me the ball or got [Arkansas teammate] Mike Qualls the ball, a clear-out type thing. But now it's more of a dribble-drive, setting pick-and-rolls, pick-and-pops, so it's kind of different for me."

This was a quote from a bleacher report article.  I get the college game is different, but it's basically saying we don't run plays and just get ball in best players hands. Scary to think of, but doesn't surprise me knowing how our offense is stagnant on occasion.

This has nothing at all to do with the post you quoted. The comment was about how the Hogs switch so much on defense. Guess you saw a chance to bring that old quote up again.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: yraciv on July 11, 2016, 03:02:46 pm

I know that a lot of you would like to look at that statement as a pejorative, but the facts are that the NBA and college games aren't alike. The NBA is full of a completely different type of athlete. EVERY player on the roster is an NBA talent. EVERY ONE.

When have we ever had a complete roster of NBA talent?

Because of that, you can't do certain things both offensively and defensively that NBA teams can.

Then there is the other more important factor, PRACTICE TIME. The college game has restrictions on it. The NBA has few if any.

The separating factor in the NBA is guard play. In college it's big men. So why should it shock you that things are done differently here than in the NBA? Heck, Hoiberg was huge on using the secondary fast break at ISU, not so much in Chicago. It would run through too much shot clock to do in the NBA.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 12, 2016, 03:01:41 am
I know that a lot of you would like to look at that statement as a pejorative, but the facts are that the NBA and college games aren't alike. The NBA is full of a completely different type of athlete. EVERY player on the roster is an NBA talent. EVERY ONE.

Because of that, you can't do certain things both offensively and defensively that NBA teams can.

Then there is the other more important factor, PRACTICE TIME. The college game has restrictions on it. The NBA has few if any.

The separating factor in the NBA is guard play. In college it's big men. So why should it shock you that things are done differently here than in the NBA? Heck, Hoiberg was huge on using the secondary fast break at ISU, not so much in Chicago. It would run through too much shot clock to do in the NBA.

Great post. +1

RzRbAcK18

Plus, anyone who has ever watched an NBA game can tell you that is not only a different type of game, its really a different type of basketball! I rarely watch NBA, unless I am catching up on former Hogs or it is the playoffs, so I am cautious about any input but to me it is hard to watch. NCAA is more about strategy as to NBA's "it's my turn to shoot". I can see where it would be difficult to transition from "pick and rolls" and set plays to one of any 5 guys that is liable to dunk on you from the free throw line. Or perhaps shoot from half court (Curry). Like someone mentioned, BP made the first round so obviously not a lot of worry about our type of play.

I think coaches may judge other players like Moses based on how well BP adjusts, and I would have to say he is doing a heck of a job. But for the most part this was probably just coach talk to fill air time.

hawginbigd1

I watched the Celtics v. Bulls game last night, it was a physically improved BP. he made the team better with his all around activity and additional strength. Went against some guys smaller and maybe younger and he punished them. He looked like the strongest guy on the court. He did get lost on defense more than a couple of times, and I think he was winded on a few of those occasions. Back to back possessions he didn't get out on defense and "his" man drained 3's (can anybody say UNC). BP would have increased his role before all of the roster changes for the Bulls, but I believe he is going to be a key cog in the team as it is made up.

Cinco de Hogo

So far I would say what BP meant is that he went from THE guy being fed the ball to more of a role player.  That will change if all goes well but truth is the still feed the studs in the NBA.

hoglady

FYI - Bulls vs Spurs on ESPN right now.
Game is fixin to start.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

yraciv

I never said the NBA game isn't different.  I brought up that quote because help defense and athleticism is much better in the NBA, which makes that hard to do.  There is no way to read that quote and not cringe though, and think yeah that doesn't look good. And I'm sure Mike Anderson does run non iso plays because I've seen it, but the again we have all witnessed our offense run these iso clearouts often and look like we can't buy an open shot.  Anyone that reads that quote can't think yeah that style is best for my professional development.  Doesn't mean Mike can't develop you or he sucks, it just means his style is very different than the pro ranks. Most elite recruits are looking for the coach that will develop them best for the professionals.  We're lagging behind many in that area during the Mike Anderson era.  Some other elite recruits are looking for the best facilities, UK, best Academics or Coach, Duke, and some looking for the home school state they grew up rooting for, Bobby Portis.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: yraciv on July 12, 2016, 07:56:11 pm
I never said the NBA game isn't different.  I brought up that quote because help defense and athleticism is much better in the NBA, which makes that hard to do.  There is no way to read that quote and not cringe though, and think yeah that doesn't look good. And I'm sure Mike Anderson does run non iso plays because I've seen it, but the again we have all witnessed our offense run these iso clearouts often and look like we can't buy an open shot.  Anyone that reads that quote can't think yeah that style is best for my professional development.  Doesn't mean Mike can't develop you or he sucks, it just means his style is very different than the pro ranks. Most elite recruits are looking for the coach that will develop them best for the professionals.  We're lagging behind many in that area during the Mike Anderson era.  Some other elite recruits are looking for the best facilities, UK, best Academics or Coach, Duke, and some looking for the home school state they grew up rooting for, Bobby Portis.

You just don't get it. You think that Bobby Portis is mouthing his ex coach and saying stuff that real basketball players would take as a negative and would hurt the school he has expressed a deep love for?

Secondly, you just don't get it. Jamal Murray just this week talked about how his college experience did not prepare him for the NBA either on offense or defense. He has a great relationship with Coach Cal but you would take his statement as a negative.

Like I said, the games are SOOOOOOOOO different that even Hoiberg doesn't run the same stuff as he did in college.

You just don't get it. There is no college system being employed by ANY program that translates to the NBA.

yraciv

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 12, 2016, 09:35:51 pm
You just don't get it. You think that Bobby Portis is mouthing his ex coach and saying stuff that real basketball players would take as a negative and would hurt the school he has expressed a deep love for?

Secondly, you just don't get it. Jamal Murray just this week talked about how his college experience did not prepare him for the NBA either on offense or defense. He has a great relationship with Coach Cal but you would take his statement as a negative.

Like I said, the games are SOOOOOOOOO different that even Hoiberg doesn't run the same stuff as he did in college.

You just don't get it. There is no college system being employed by ANY program that translates to the NBA.

I probably watch more basketball than you have forgot. Basketball is my favorite sport and not only do I watch NBA and college games, but in the last week I have watched AAU games, Summer League Games, and I even caught a glimpse of The Tournament games with BJ Young teaming up with Marshawn Powell. Doubt you even know what that is.  Needless to say I get the vast difference in the NBA game, talent level, and evaluation of player skill levels that it takes to be successful at each level SOOOO I do get it.

What is an exact mirror of a system? Every coach is going to have plays that are different, but principle offenses or defensive concepts such as the 1-3-1 zone like Boeheim runs or the full court chaos that VCU and we use to be known for don't translate to the NBA as well as someone with knowledge of a more common motion or man to man.  The good NBA coaches adapt based on the players in the system, so their plays, strengths, weaknesses, change on an annual basis because their is more turnover. In college, good coaches are capable of recruiting players that fit their system, which isn't always the case in the NBA.

There will always be a transition level to the NBA due to the vast difference in style of play and skill level.  That doesn't mean that college coaching/training to that point doesn't matter.  The fact of the matter is some coaches/styles prepare players better and that is all I'm saying.  That comment by Portis can't be twisted in anyway and is what it is.  That philosophy worked well enough to get us to the 2nd round of the tournament.  Some other philosophy, coaching style, may have worked better or may have not. I'm not a college basketball coach so I can't say.

kibster

Quote from: hoglady on July 12, 2016, 07:20:43 pm
FYI - Bulls vs Spurs on ESPN right now.
Game is fixin to start.

BP finished with 19 pts, 8 rbs, 2 blks in 33 minutes as the bulls continue to be undefeated in summer play.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

The_Iceman

Quote from: kibster on July 13, 2016, 08:44:19 am
BP finished with 19 pts, 8 rbs, 2 blks in 33 minutes as the bulls continue to be undefeated in summer play.

Bulls have a solid roster with Portis, Valentine (Michigan State), Dinwiddie (Colorado), and Grant (Notre Dame).

Cinco de Hogo

Bunch of BS in this thread in my opinion.  Every step up brings its challenges but for the elite talent in the NBA basketball is basketball.  There are differences sure but these guys are trained to learn just like a college grad is trained to learn a job they may have never done...except athletes going pro do actually have 10-12 years of doing the job.  Going pro is a step up to a better job but still a lateral move in that you are still doing the same job.  It's not like they are going from being a janitor to a space cadet.

You interview ten guys that have made the transition to a higher level and at each level they will say basically the same things.  It's a curve not a mountain.  Teach ability v talent is the most interesting to watch.

hoglady

Quote from: kibster on July 13, 2016, 08:44:19 am

I was flipping back and forth with the MLB All-star game.
Didn't want to miss, David Ortiz' last all-star game.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

yraciv

Quote from: The_Iceman on July 13, 2016, 09:08:53 am
Bulls have a solid roster with Portis, Valentine (Michigan State), Dinwiddie (Colorado), and Grant (Notre Dame).

Yeah not a lot of these teams are carrying 3 guys that will be on their opening day roster.

Redbug

"With me coming from college I came from a 40 minutes of hell type system, more up and down type scheme," said Portis of his U. of Arkansas team. "We didn't really play in the half court; we were more a full court type team. Me coming to the NBA last year was a wakeup call. But I am really glad I came out early. Not that it's bad to stay, but if I would have stayed four years I would have been far behind as a 22-year-old coming into the NBA. I feel like me coming early helped me adjust early on the defensive end."

http://www.nba.com/bulls/gameday/bobby-portis-leads-bulls-perfect-summer-league-start/

toying with Dallas on ESPN 2 right now....

DLUXHOG

Portis is the leading Bull's scorer at half....(by light year proportions)...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Arkansas WR

hog.goblin

Quote from: Redbug on July 14, 2016, 08:30:15 pm
"With me coming from college I came from a 40 minutes of hell type system, more up and down type scheme," said Portis of his U. of Arkansas team. "We didn't really play in the half court; we were more a full court type team. Me coming to the NBA last year was a wakeup call. But I am really glad I came out early. Not that it's bad to stay, but if I would have stayed four years I would have been far behind as a 22-year-old coming into the NBA. I feel like me coming early helped me adjust early on the defensive end."

http://www.nba.com/bulls/gameday/bobby-portis-leads-bulls-perfect-summer-league-start/

toying with Dallas on ESPN 2 right now....

Ouch

bulldog04

Portis has 10 pts at half and is 2-2 behind the line.  At halftime the assistant coach said he is improving everyday and they can't get him out of the gym.

hoglady

Quote from: bulldog04 on July 16, 2016, 08:07:54 pm
Portis has 10 pts at half and is 2-2 behind the line.  At halftime the assistant coach said he is improving everyday and they can't get him out of the gym.

Don't think you'll find too many players work harder than Portis.
That kid is driven to succeed.

HardingHog

I believe he finished with 17 points and 9 rebounds in the win to lead the Bulls to the semifinals of this Summer League tournament

OnTheHillHogFan

I wonder if the Bulls will shut him down or let him play these last two games
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

songofthesword

he's 2 games away from being summer league MVP possibly he's playing at that high a level

ShadowHawg

Quote from: yraciv on July 13, 2016, 08:34:25 am
I probably watch more basketball than you have forgot. Basketball is my favorite sport and not only do I watch NBA and college games, but in the last week I have watched AAU games, Summer League Games, and I even caught a glimpse of The Tournament games with BJ Young teaming up with Marshawn Powell. Doubt you even know what that is.  Needless to say I get the vast difference in the NBA game, talent level, and evaluation of player skill levels that it takes to be successful at each level SOOOO I do get it.

What is an exact mirror of a system? Every coach is going to have plays that are different, but principle offenses or defensive concepts such as the 1-3-1 zone like Boeheim runs or the full court chaos that VCU and we use to be known for don't translate to the NBA as well as someone with knowledge of a more common motion or man to man.  The good NBA coaches adapt based on the players in the system, so their plays, strengths, weaknesses, change on an annual basis because their is more turnover. In college, good coaches are capable of recruiting players that fit their system, which isn't always the case in the NBA.

There will always be a transition level to the NBA due to the vast difference in style of play and skill level.  That doesn't mean that college coaching/training to that point doesn't matter.  The fact of the matter is some coaches/styles prepare players better and that is all I'm saying.  That comment by Portis can't be twisted in anyway and is what it is.  That philosophy worked well enough to get us to the 2nd round of the tournament.  Some other philosophy, coaching style, may have worked better or may have not. I'm not a college basketball coach so I can't say.

LOL. You don't even begin to know how much basketball I haven't forgotten. I have seen as much or more than you AND understand it as well. I have COACHED against kids that have gone on to schools like Arizona and UNC.

Like I said, Jamaal Murray said that he wasn't prepared for the offensive OR defensive aspects of the pro game while at Kentucky, where Calipari is supposedly one of the best in college at doing exactly what you are trying to claim. It was a surprising quote given that Murray was saying the exact OPPOSITE prior to the draft about his time in college. He says that the spacing and pace are in no way the same as the college game. How does a guy with your "knowledge" miss a statement like this?

Please name for us the coaches who best prepare kids for the NBA game schematically?

Furthermore, the reason colleges don't run sets as often as a NBA team is because NBA teams put an ENTIRE lineup on the floor at all times of guys who would/have dominated the college game in terms of scoring. Kentucky can't even do that on a consistent enough basis to teach it either. NBA defense has rules that make it completely different as well, that change the dynamic of how help defense is applied. Why would a college team teach a defense that offers them fewer options than the college game allows, which is what you are missing about teaching a scheme that would translate to he pros.

For those of you who don't get what Portis was saying, he was saying that because he was NBA ready physically, it would have been a waste of his time to lose two years playing a game that is so vastly different in terms of scheme, that's the entire college game not MA's approach only, even if he had played at Kentucky or another program of any kind he wouldn't have gained anything that he could use in his current career. He said college in that line of the quote, not Arkansas specifically. Like I said, Jamal Murray said the same thing after his second NBA summer league game after claiming prior to the draft that he was taught to be NBA schemes ready by Cal.

Even though I am obviously a neophyte fan, I at least know for a fact that Portis' coach, Hoiberg, also ran completely different schemes at Iowa St. than he is running at Chicago. Why would he do that given that what he ran at Iowa St was obviously working? Why change if the games are so similar?

Does Portis' quote look good? No, but when you understand what he is actually saying, which most won't, it isn't the denigrating statement some here would like it to be. It's a statement on the college game as a whole. I mean if you watched the NBA Finals, Cleveland was basically running isolation after isolation for Kyrie and Lebron which sounds a lot like what MA did for Portis and Qualls. But even with the similarities there are differences in spacing and off the ball movements than what was being run at Arkansas.

All a college coach can teach is work ethic and individual skills that make the player more attractive to the NBA. In that sense, you can judge MA however you will. But as far as scheme translation, that is just a bunch of garbage done only by people who are ignorant or agenda driven.

Dr. Starcs

Swinesong1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 17, 2016, 03:00:23 pm
LOL. You don't even begin to know how much basketball I haven't forgotten. I have seen as much or more than you AND understand it as well. I have COACHED against kids that have gone on to schools like Arizona and UNC.

Like I said, Jamaal Murray said that he wasn't prepared for the offensive OR defensive aspects of the pro game while at Kentucky, where Calipari is supposedly one of the best in college at doing exactly what you are trying to claim. It was a surprising quote given that Murray was saying the exact OPPOSITE prior to the draft about his time in college. He says that the spacing and pace are in no way the same as the college game. How does a guy with your "knowledge" miss a statement like this?

Please name for us the coaches who best prepare kids for the NBA game schematically?

Furthermore, the reason colleges don't run sets as often as a NBA team is because NBA teams put an ENTIRE lineup on the floor at all times of guys who would/have dominated the college game in terms of scoring. Kentucky can't even do that on a consistent enough basis to teach it either. NBA defense has rules that make it completely different as well, that change the dynamic of how help defense is applied. Why would a college team teach a defense that offers them fewer options than the college game allows, which is what you are missing about teaching a scheme that would translate to he pros.

For those of you who don't get what Portis was saying, he was saying that because he was NBA ready physically, it would have been a waste of his time to lose two years playing a game that is so vastly different in terms of scheme, that's the entire college game not MA's approach only, even if he had played at Kentucky or another program of any kind he wouldn't have gained anything that he could use in his current career. He said college in that line of the quote, not Arkansas specifically. Like I said, Jamal Murray said the same thing after his second NBA summer league game after claiming prior to the draft that he was taught to be NBA schemes ready by Cal.

Even though I am obviously a neophyte fan, I at least know for a fact that Portis' coach, Hoiberg, also ran completely different schemes at Iowa St. than he is running at Chicago. Why would he do that given that what he ran at Iowa St was obviously working? Why change if the games are so similar?

Does Portis' quote look good? No, but when you understand what he is actually saying, which most won't, it isn't the denigrating statement some here would like it to be. It's a statement on the college game as a whole. I mean if you watched the NBA Finals, Cleveland was basically running isolation after isolation for Kyrie and Lebron which sounds a lot like what MA did for Portis and Qualls. But even with the similarities there are differences in spacing and off the ball movements than what was being run at Arkansas.

All a college coach can teach is work ethic and individual skills that make the player more attractive to the NBA. In that sense, you can judge MA however you will. But as far as scheme translation, that is just a bunch of garbage done only by people who are ignorant or agenda driven.
Agenda driven

songofthesword

Swinesong1

Quote from: songofthesword on July 17, 2016, 02:40:05 am
he's 2 games away from being summer league MVP possibly he's playing at that high a level
Tyus Jones named MVP.  Portis made first team.

yraciv

Quote from: Swinesong1 on July 18, 2016, 10:03:16 am
Tyus Jones named MVP.  Portis made first team.

Stupid to name it before the championship, but still impressive. Tyus Jones has played great too!

hoglady

Quote from: yraciv on July 18, 2016, 10:23:41 am
Stupid to name it before the championship, but still impressive. Tyus Jones has played great too!

Jones' play yesterday probably sealed the deal on that. (29 points and 6 assists)
I too don't understand naming an MVP before the final game.
But Bobby has probably been the most consistent player from start to finish of Summer League play - and the Bulls should be thrilled with the way he's performed.

thebignasty

I actually know more about basketball than yraciv and Shadowhog combined.

hoglady

Just dawned on me - the Bulls Summer League coach is Pete Myers (ex-UALR player).
Portis is playing great tonight so far.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: hoglady on July 18, 2016, 09:25:42 pm
Just dawned on me - the Bulls Summer League coach is Pete Myers (ex-UALR player).

Arkansas and CMA getting some love with Clarke and Portis playing well

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: hoglady on July 18, 2016, 09:25:42 pm

What a play call by Myers to tie!

hoglady

That was a great last 6 seconds of regulation.
This has been a very entertaining game.

PonderinHog